Vox Populi Vox Dei Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Carole was just standing in what had been Charlie Griswold's bedroom, between the bed and the dresser, just looking around at everything, and in a reverent way. I came through the door, closing it almost shut behind me as I said "Carole, what are you doing in here?"

"This was Charlie's room, wasn't it Daddy?" Carole asked, awe in her voice for the first time I could remember.

"Yes, and you're not answering my question." I said. "Why did you come in here?"

"I don't know, Daddy." Carole said. "But I know Grandma Griswold is with Charlie in Heaven now, and they're both very happy."

"I know." I said, feeling a bit of a vibe, but nowhere near what Carole must've been sensing. I let her look around, then said "We need to go back into the living room with the others."

"Okay, Daddy." Carole said quietly. She went back into the living room, and I followed. Cindy almost gasped as she saw Carole, seeing the light in my daughter's blue eyes. Sheriff Griswold called Carole over to him.

"Did you see Charlie's room, Carole?" Griswold asked Carole.

"Yes sir." Carole said. "And Grandma Griswold wants you to know that she's in Heaven with Charlie, and they're both very happy."

Laura looked like she was about to have a heart attack at her daughter's words. Everyone was watching her and the Sheriff to see what he'd say. Cindy and the Sheriff had tears in their eyes as Griswold said "Yes, I know. Grandma Griswold and Charlie are in a much better place now."

Carole said "Daddy said that we're sad because Grandma Griswold is in Heaven, but she's also still here in our hearts. Is that true, Grampa Grizz?"

"Your daddy is a very smart man." Griswold said. "I think he's right. And I think you're right, too."

He gave Carole another warm hug as I whispered to Laura "No time out or punishment until I get home, okay?" Laura did not look pleased, but nodded acquiescence.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The formal visitation was from 6:00pm to 9:00pm. I took the Sheriff to the Frank Freeman Funeral Home at 5:45pm. He took a moment to look at his wife in the open casket, steeling himself not to break down crying. I signed the book, noting that a number of people had already come in and signed it.

We were dressed in black suits, me with a black tie and the Sheriff with a gray tie. The first group to arrive was Mrs. Myrtle L. James, along with a large contingent of Ladies Auxiliary members. Many of them wept in small groups as they viewed Mrs. Griswold lying in peaceful repose. Mrs. James came up and said how sorry she was for Mrs. Griswold's loss.

She politely didn't say that Mrs. Griswold had died at the Ladies Auxiliary meeting, but Sheriff Griswold did, and in a kind way: "She was surrounded by friends that loved her." said Griswold. "You ladies meant so much to her."

After greeting me, Mrs. James became an unofficial hostess, introducing people and moving conversations along... and sometimes people if things started getting crowded.

Police Officers and their spouses began going through. Nell Bell arrived in her dress uniform, the one she'd worn in Court, followed by the Midtown Lab techs. "I'm so sorry for your loss, Sheriff." Nell said.

"It was very kind of you to stay and visit." said the Sheriff. Nell introduced the techs to the Sheriff and to me, and I said I hoped to talk with them again under better circumstances. "Are you going home, Nell?" I asked her.

"Yes sir." said Nell. "That defense attorney, Munson... she tried to have me held to be called back. Paulina objected and said why couldn't they finish with her now? and the Judge agreed. That Defense Attorney is headed for Contempt, if you ask me..."

Chief Molly Evans, Chief Frank Soltis, and Chief Sean Moynahan came through as a group, possibly having gone to an early dinner together, or intending to go out to dinner after coming to the visitation.

The Sheriff exchanged warm greetings and many hugs with Police Officers that came through, many of which he'd known while he was Police Chief. He hugged Zoe Singer very warmly, as well. When Jack Muscone and Tanya Perlman came through, she began crying at seeing Mrs. Griswold, and the Sheriff went to a knee and exchanged a long hug with Tanya.

"She was so good to me." Tanya said, her voice breaking. "She'd bring me cookies when I was in the hospital, and she took such good care of little Pete."

"Pete was like a grandson to her." Griswold said. "And he is to me, too."

Todd and Teresa came through, Teresa in her semi-formal Police uniform. She hugged the Sheriff warmly, then hugged me as Todd hugged Griswold. Todd said some quiet words to the Sheriff, but I had no idea what he said, and I never was told later. Cindy and Callie were right behind them in the line (a procession of Angels, it was), and they also exchanged hugs and words of condolences with the Sheriff. Cindy whispered that her father was away, but wanted her to tell the Sheriff that Dr. Eckhart was thinking of him.

A good number of Fire Department people came through, including Assistant Chief Warren Davies, who was a relatively young fast-riser through the ranks, not unlike myself with the Police. After he and his wife had gone through, I realized that Chief Quinlin had not come through. Hmmm...

Even Rita came through and paid her respects, as she had after Charlie's death. She hugged me warmly also, whispering that I needed to come 'chat' with her in the near future. I said that I would, wondering what she wanted to tell me...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

A third-shift Deputy patrol parked at the Sheriff's house and stood guard while the Sheriff stayed at The Cabin with us. When I got home, I had expected to see Marie, but she was nowhere to be seen. My inquiry resulting in a stunning answer:

"I had to call Marie's parents and tell her that Carole was in timeout this weekend and could not have visitors." said Laura, using her 'authoritative' voice and expecting to not be questioned. That would not do.

"Let's... step out on deck." I said.

When we got out there, Laura did not sit in the loveseat chair with me, but in the chair to my left, almost facing me. "Look Don," she said, "what Carole did was wrong. She threw a fit when I told her that she could not go with me to see Sheriff Griswold, and then she went into Charlie's sealed-off room, and then she said that to the Sheriff. Children are to be seen and not heard, she should've obeyed me without a fuss when I told her she couldn't go, and she has to learn manners and to keep her mouth shut!"

"No doubt about that last part." I said. "But why did you even tell her she couldn't go see Grandpa Grizz? You know he loves her and the boys like the grandchildren he never had, and never will have. And the way his face lit up when he saw her, and when she told him about Mrs. Griswold being with Charlie in heaven? Sure it's not appropriate for us adults to say, but from the mouth of a child it was the voice of an angel."

"And her pitching a fit like she did?"

"I agree that calls for a strong discussion with her." I said. "But to tell her Marie can't come over? That hurts Marie as much as it does Carole. They're like sisters, you know. And I think that was far too strong a punishment for Carole."

"I don't agree." Laura said. "And I expect you to back me up on this."

For a moment we sat and stared at each other, then I finally said "What do you want from her? To just be a mindless little robot?"

"No, of course not." said Laura. "But I do want her to mind me when I tell her something. And she badly needs to learn manners. She's becoming conceited as hell!"

"And you want to suppress the incredible talent that she is becoming?" I replied sharply. "Because that's what you're ultimately doing, you know. It's like telling Mozart as a boy that he can't play the piano or write any music, because he might become conceited."

"You really think that's what I'm doing?" Laura said. "Don, Carole has to learn manners. She has to be part of this world, and get along with people. She has to learn when to keep her mouth shut and what can be offensive. And you're not helping me teach her those things."

"Again, Laura, what do you want? Of the kids? Of me?" I asked. "I want these kids to grow up knowing they can explore, and learn, and grow. I want Carole to develop and use her tremendous talents as much as possible; I certainly don't want to suppress them, even if she appears conceited as a result. I want Jim to develop his talents, as well, which is why I let him and his brothers play in the woods until they're covered in dirt, and why I keep giving him more Legos and Erector Sets and train tracks. I have no need for a cat, but Ian and Tasha love watching Tiger Mom and the kittens."

"That's not what I'm talking about." Laura said. "I'm talking about Carole throwing a hissy fit at me, then not minding her manners or her business by going into Charlie's room." She peered at me and then said "I honestly don't understand why you're not with me on this."

"We're definitely 'hanging drapes' on this one." I replied. "And you didn't see what I saw today. It was a significant thing, seeing Carole's face when she was looking around Charlie's room. I saw respect in her eyes. She didn't touch a thing, either. And I think that's why she fought so hard to be brought there."

I then looked at Laura and said "I do have one question: why did you bring Carole there? Why didn't you 'just say no' and leave her here with Callie?"

"I..." Laura said, then paused, then said "Callie has been good enough to keep the kids for us many times. I didn't want to leave her with a screaming six year old. But you have a point... and next time I'll leave Carole behind, like I should have this time. And my point is that there had better never be a 'next time'."

"So." Laura said after a long pause of several minutes. "What are we going to do? I still expect you to back me up on the punishments."

"Grounded for the weekend?" I asked. "I still think that's too much."

"I was going to say for all next week." Laura said. "But you're right that that wouldn't be fair to Marie on Tuesday or Wednesday night."

"Want me to talk to Carole?" I asked.

"As long as you're reinforcing why she's being punished, at least for the hissy fit part." Laura said.

"I'll leave it to you, then." I said. "I won't stop you from punishing her for throwing the fit, and I won't take her side in front of you. But I won't be party to it, either."

"So you don't agree with me about this?" Laura asked.

My eyes bored into hers as I said "No. I don't."

Part 17 - Requiem

Saturday, August 17th. The funeral was at 2:00pm. The lunch at the Presbyterian Church was at 12:00 noon. Because the Griswolds had no immediate family, there were not expected to be too many people there, just the members of the Presbyterian Church, and the families of myself, Cindy Ross, Teresa Croyle, and Tanya Perlman. My Angels were the Sheriff's Angels today. It was still a full Fellowship Hall.

I was wearing a civilian suite and tie, as was the Sheriff. Cindy, Teresa, and Tanya were also in civilian attire, all wearing black dresses. Carole was wearing her black dress, white stockings and black shoes. Jim, Ross, and Ian were wearing slacks, button-down shirts, and clip-on ties. And like typical boys their ages, they were not liking having to wear those ties at all.

"Daddy,", said Jim, "why do we have to wear these ties? I don't like 'em."

"Neither do I, son." I said. "But for things like funerals, we have to wear them. It's one way we show respect."

"Dressing up in suits and ties shows re-spect?" Jim asked.

"Well... yes." I said, thinking about it. "Either for our work, or for the occasion, like a wedding or a funeral. I wear ties with my uniform a lot on occasions where we're showing respect, like the medals ceremonies."

"O-kayyyy." Jim conceded. He went and reported to Ross and Ian on the necessity of neckties.

Meanwhile, I'd noticed that Carole had stayed close to me the whole time, and away from her mother. Neither she nor Laura had said any more in my presence, but I did not have to be Cindy Ross to feel the tension between them. Normally, Carole would be watching everything with great interest, but now she just sat in her chair, subdued.

"Hi Carole!"

The voice was Marie's, and she had appeared almost out of nowhere. Carole jumped out of her chair, happily saying "Hi Marie!" as she gave Marie a big hug. I let Marie sit down in my chair, and 'girl talk' commenced as I went to speak to Edward and Stephanie Steele.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"The trial is going pretty smoothly." said Paulina Patterson, who was going to sing at the funeral. "Gwen Munson is making an absolute ass of herself, and I'm sure she'll attack you harder than anyone. But we're just setting the table and laying the groundwork for you and for Jesse Smallwood."

"What was going on with Nell Bell?" I asked.

"Oh, that." Paulina said. "After her cross-examination of Nell, Munson said she wanted Nell to be subject to recall. I objected, asking why she wasn't finished with Nell now, and what did she want her for later. When Munson had no answer, Judge Watts told Munson to finish her questions immediately, as Bell would not be subject to recall except under extraordinary circumstances. Munson then said 'no more questions', so the judge had Nell step down, and said she was excused and could go home to Midtown."

"Munson is just being a bitch again." I said. "How's the Jury reacting to things?"

Paulina said "They're taking it seriously, taking notes, paying attention. They're not tired of Munson's antics, at least not yet. I think many of them don't realize that what she's doing is not normal."

"What about Blassingame's family?" I asked.

"His mother is nervous." Paulina said. "She's just sitting there, taking it all in. But her brother, FBI Agent Parsons... he doesn't look or act nervous at all. And on some occasions, I seen him and Munson exchange looks, just for a brief second."

I nodded. "Do me one favor, even if it's technically wrong: if you see anything unusual about the jury, anything at all, let me know."

Paulina peered at me. "You think something's going on with them? I mean, they're sequestered, well protected..."

"Yes, they are." I said. "Still, keep an eye on things..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We walked into the Presbyterian Church, coming around the outside walk and into the front. The closed casket was already up front, and we filled in the front right rows.

Dr. Ayers gave the eulogy, and talked about Mrs. Griswold's past life, including her cooking skills. The Presbyterian Women and Ladies Auxiliary chuckled at the mention of the '13x9 casserole', which Mrs. Griswold was fond of using for making her many dishes of excellent food. We also chuckled when he mentioned that Mrs. Griswold fully supported her husband's candidacy for Sheriff, so that she could clean house while he was out campaigning. We understood that Mrs. Griswold herself had told that story many times to her friends.

Paulina Patterson got up and sang 'Amazing Grace', then there was a prayer. Carole did not close her eyes, and was therefore the first person to see the surprise guest come out from behind the partition wall. It was the legendary rapper T-Square.

After the 'Amen', T-Square sang 'How Great Thou Art', as he had done at Charlie's funeral. Afterwards, he came over and Sheriff Griswold stood up, and they hugged warmly. T-Square shook hands with me, then walked back behind the partition; he would leave out the back of the church.

As the pallbearers took the casket out and the family followed, we got our first glimpse of what was in store as the Public Safety tribute to the Sheriff's wife. The walkway was lined with Police Officers, and the road we'd bet taking towards the cemetery was also lined with Police and Fire Department personnel. As Sheriff Griswold went by, on foot or in the vehicle behind the hearse, they saluted.

The cemetery was where the Deputies made their show of respect. They ringed the awning-covered seats. Pops, the owner of the Irish Pub, played 'Amazing Grace' on his bagpipes as all the Deputies saluted. Tears flowed from the Sheriff's eyes for the first time that day...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We the family had dinner at Sheriff Griswold's home, and Paulina and Tasha had been asked by Sheriff Griswold to participate. We put a small dent in the enormous amount of food in the kitchen, then Cindy and I did the dishes. Carole and Tasha helped by loading the dishwasher, and they did a very good job. Afterwards, Sheriff Griswold basically told us to go home. Including me. Especially me. Father Romano was going to stay the night, and so the Sheriff and I hugged, and we left.

At home at The Cabin, the boys went upstairs to build with the Legos. Tasha was coloring in a coloring book, being helped by Callie. Carole just sat on the sofa in the greatroom and petted Bowser, who made no objections to Betsy helping give him skritchins. I went onto the deck with a bottle of bourbon and a glass. Cindy followed me, bringing her own glass.

"Want me to talk to Laura?" Cindy asked as she sat down beside me in the metal mesh loveseat. When I whirled to peer at her, she said "It's obvious something's wrong. Carole's avoiding her, and you and she barely spoke all day. You can tell me it's none of my business, but I'm feeling some strong vibes all the way around."

"Yeah, we're hanging drapes." I said, and Cindy knew what that meant, having heard the stories from my mom. "Carole went into Charlie's room yesterday. No, she probably shouldn't have gone in there, but I could see that she had a very special moment in there. And Laura... punished her for it. Over my objections."

"I heard Carole gave her some backtalk over going in the first place." said Cindy.

"I heard Carole pitched a no-hitter of a fit." I replied. "And to be honest, I don't understand why Laura had any objection to bringing Carole with her in the first place."

"Children should be seen and not heard" Cindy said. "That's what my mother, and dad too, used to say to me and Molly all the time. We were to mind our manners and our parents, and keep our mouths shut. But I've noticed that present and future Iron Crowbars sometimes don't keep their mouths shut."

I chuckled, then said "Carole... is a very special child. A prodigy. I'm not just saying that because she's my daughter. I see it in Timmy Austin playing chess, and Davie Marsdon and Susie Haskins in growing leadership. And I just feel that Laura... it's almost like she wants to suppress that in Carole..."

Cindy nodded. "Well, I'm not a marriage counselor, but I think I know how to approach Laura on this situation." She got up to go. "It's been a long, long night. And you've got Court coming on Monday. Get some sleep."

She went back inside. I poured another drink. Ten minutes later, a six-year-old and her three-year-old sister came out, bringing a blanket with them. "Here you go, Daddy." Tasha said.

"What's this for?" I asked as the girls put the blanket over me.

"For you, Daddy." Carole said. "You're going to fall asleep out here."

And I did. After several more shots of bourbon...

Part 18 - Intervention

Sunday, August 18th. I awoke at 5:00am, feeling somewhere between hung over and well-rested from having slept outdoors. I opened the back door and two outstanding dogs came out and went around the side of the house to do their business. I went in and prepared the cat food and brought it out for Tiger Mom, then looked over the twinkling lights of the Town in the first gloaming of the dawn. When the dogs came back around, I herded them inside.

I drove to Police Headquarters and used the showers in the gym to clean up. Then I went to my office and began catching up on paperwork. When I looked up, the sun was bright in my window.