Vox Populi Vox Dei Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Part 21 - The Verdict

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Wednesday, August 21st. "The sensational trial of Peter Blassingame, son of shipping magnate Edward Blassingame, is now in the hands of the Jury!"

Bettina began: "Legal experts are divided on the results of the trial, which was very fast paced and took much less time than expected. Some experts are saying that the Prosecution team of ADA Paulina Patterson and State Attorney Jenna Stiles made a devastating case that will result in both a guilty verdict and a death penalty sentence, while other experts say that the all-star team led by Gwen Munson poked significant holes in the prosecution, and also laid the groundwork for many appeals in the unlikely event of a conviction."

Bettina: "They also say that the conduct of the trial by Superior Court Judge Rodney K. Watts was unprofessional and will come under review, that his rulings seemed very biased towards the Prosecution, and that the Defense was constantly thwarted from making an adequate case on behalf of their client."

Bettina: "Because this is a capital case, it is expected that the Jury could take considerable time in reaching a verdict. Legal experts say that a very fast verdict would likely be one of acquittal, as the O.J. Simpson verdict was; while a very long deliberation would likely end in a hung jury or ultimately an acquittal.

Bettina: "And in other news: In a surprise move the Town & County Council took up the issue of the Public Safety Department structure that has been included in the Town & County Charter Commission's draft copy. Parts of the proposed structure could be passed and put in place by the time the Charter is voted upon, but other parts, such as a separate EMT service, will not be acted upon by the Council. Charter Commission Chairman and Police Commander Donald Troy did not respond to KXTC's repeated requests for comment."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"And I don't think they asked anyone else for comment," said Cindy Ross as we drank coffee in the Chief's Conference Room, "so that's just a cheap shot at Don." Teresa nodded vigorously in agreement. I just shrugged my shoulders.

Tanya said "Sheriff, what's going on with the Public Safety structure?"

Sheriff Griswold said "I submitted most of it to the Council on a standalone basis. If it passes, then we'll already be set when the Charter passes."

"Will the Charter pass?" Cindy asked. "I'm hearing a lot of opposition to it."

"Time will tell." I said simply.

"Whether the Charter passes or not," said the Sheriff, "if we get our parts in and set, we'll have that much going for us. And by the way, all of you get ready to possibly be invited to the private Council Meeting next week when they take it up."

"It might help if it does pass ahead of time." Chief Moynahan said. "The Union won't have much to object tooooo when the Charter comes up." I nodded vigorously in agreement.

"So when do we vote, Don?" asked Tanya happily.

"We're going to finish the draft Charter tonight, and give it to The Town & County Examiner for printing." I said. "Then next week should be the final public hearing, and a vote in late September."

"Does the Council have to set the date for the vote?" asked Cindy.

"No, that was one of the things in the creation of the Charter." I said. "Once we declare the final draft as done, we can set a date as long as it's at least three weeks down the road."

"What do you guys think is going to happen in this trial?" Teresa asked.

"He'll be convicted." said the Sheriff.

"I've got a bad feeling about it." said Cindy. "Munson's antics were unprofessional, but she laid a lot of groundwork for appeals. And I'm just not sure what the Jury is going to do..."

"By the wayyyyy," drawled the Chief. "Where are the Detectives this morning?"

Tanya Perlman said "I told them not to come in until 9:00am at the earliest. I kept them late last night for some training." The Chief just nodded.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 9:30am, just 30 minutes after Court was gaveled into session, we got the word that the Jury had reached a verdict. Judge Watts called me and Teresa into his Chambers. Paulina and Gwen Munson were also there.

"Commander, Captain" said Judge Watts, "is your security plan ready?"

"Yes, Your Honor." Teresa answered.

"Is 30 minutes enough to get ready?" asked Judge Watts. "10:15?"

"Yes, Your Honor." Teresa replied. "Earlier if you like; we're completely ready."

The Judge nodded. "Okay then."

In the meantime, I was observing Gwen Munson out of the corner of my eye. She was looking very confident, almost happy. Hmmm, what does she know? I asked myself.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

10:15am. I was sitting on the first row behind the Prosecution table. FBI Special Agent in Charge Jack Muscone was sitting to my right. To my left were the parents of Steven Walter Henry and Wendy Withers. Behind us were full rows of people, many of them Press, some Law students from the University. I saw Alison McFarland, Keith Madden, and Timothy Geiger three rows behind us.

On the Defense side were Peter Blassingame's family, and David Rovers was sitting with Andrew Parsons again. "Those bastards." whispered Muscone. "I'll be sure to let the FBI brass know about it."

"And well you should." I said.

The Prosecution and Defense attorneys stood up as the Jury filed in. As they sat down again, the Judge said "Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, have you reached a verdict?"

"We have, Your Honor." said the Jury Forewoman, an attractive woman in her thirties with black hair, doe eyes, and full, inviting lips. She handed the form to the Bailiff, who handed it to the Judge. He examined it, then handed it to the Bailiff, who handed it to the Court Reporter, who nodded to the Defendant. He rose to his feet, as did his attorneys and the Prosecuting attorneys.

The Court Reporter read: "On Count One of the Indictment, murder in the first degree of Steven Walter Henry with aggravating circumstances, we the Jury find the Defendant..."

To be continued.