Vox Populi Vox Dei Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

*KNOCK!* *KNOCK!* *KNOCK!* *KNOCK!*

My door opened to reveal Paulina Patterson, looking hot in a white blouse and blue jeans that looked painted on, and white high heel sandals. "Hi." she said. "We need to prepare you for your testimony."

"Okay." I said. Paulina came in and sat down in a 'hot chair'. We spent the next three hours going over the case: the questions Paulina would ask, the order she would ask them, my answers to each, and such. Then Paulina played Gwen Munson, and raised every objection and made every snotty comment she could.

"No matter how hard you try," I said, "you just can't stoop to the level of 'bitch' that Gwen Munson is. But don't worry, it'll be fine."

"There is one thing I'll caution you about." Paulina said. "Gwen has annoyed Judge Watts to the point he's close to holding her in contempt. Don't get into it with her and force the judge to have to take her side." I nodded.

"So..." Paulina said. "Do you want to talk about it? This thing between you and Laura?"

I exhaled, then after a moment of reflection I said "Laura and I have almost never argued, at all. We haven't necessarily agreed on everything, but we've never been this far apart on something this big."

"Punishing Carole for doing wrong?" Paulina said.

"More like disagreeing on the so-called wrongs Carole was punished for." I said. "And I think Laura and I both know that this is a manifestation of something much bigger. And with that... I know you're trying to help, but I think I'll just say no more on it..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Five people arrived at The Cabin: Cindy Ross, Betsy Ross, Callie Carrington, Teresa Croyle, and Cindy's mother Maggie Ross.

"Hello, everyone." Laura said. "I wasn't expecting you, and Don went in to Headquarters to get ready for his testimony."

"Yes, we know." Cindy said. "Can we talk to you, Laura?"

"Uh, sure." Laura said.

"I'll keep the kids upstairs." Callie said.

The rest of them sat down at the breakfast table, and Maggie brought everyone mugs of coffee.

"So, what's up?" Laura asked.

"We are here," Teresa said boldly, "to egregiously interject ourselves into your life and try to help solve this problem between you and your husband."

"And your daughter." said Cindy.

Laura blinked for a second in sheer disbelief. Then she realized they were trying to help, and that it must be bigger than she first realized. "Okay," she said, "let's hear it."

"I've never really understood the so-called 'power of the vibe'," Cindy said, "but I know it's real, and I know Carole has it even more powerfully than I do. Yesterday, I did not see Carole in Charlie's room... but I felt it. There was a... powerful moment, there."

"It was still wrong of her to breach Sheriff Griswold's privacy and go into that room." Laura said sharply.

"That's not what we're here to debate." Teresa said. Then she steeled up and said "Laura, when exactly did you know what you wanted to be?"

"Uh..." Laura said, not expecting that question at all. "What do you mean?"

"How old were you when you knew you wanted to be a doctor?" Teresa asked. "Did you grow up from a young age wanting to be a CIA Officer?"

"I was immersed in the Agency since I was young." Laura said. "I never intended to become a part of it. After my parents died, and the woman they called the 'Old Mother', that I named Carole after, pretty much took me in, it was just sort of... expected. As to being a doctor, that came when I was in high school. I think... well, now that you mentioned it, she steered me into thinking about it."

"A family thing, eh?" Cindy asked incisively. "Especially the CIA?"

"Er.. yeah, I guess it was." Laura admitted.

Teresa said "When I was growing up, I had no idea what I might be. I mostly dreamed of just getting out. Alexis didn't even have plans to go to college, even though she was smart enough to. The expectations she had were to find the best husband she could and have babies, like most of the girls in my godforsaken home town. But then, on the night of her death, a policewoman helped me, and that was when I first thought of becoming a policewoman myself. And despite my reputation, I really did become a Police Officer to help others, to serve and protect, as the cliché goes."

Cindy said "I always dreamed of being an FBI Agent, then dreamed of being the next Bruce Lee. But I didn't pursue them as real goals while I was a child. It was... after I left home that I got into all the Miss Physical America stuff, and gave thought to being a Police Officer."

"I see where you're going with this." Laura said. "But Carole's only six years old."

"And that's the point, which I'll say out loud." Teresa said. "Carole is lucky. She already knows what she is going to be. She already told us her goal: she wants to earn the real red crowbar."

"And she's going to." said Cindy. "It's a done deal. That's my vibe. She wants to be a Police Officer and the next Iron Crowbar."

"No!" Laura said. "I don't believe that. She does not have to follow her father's path. Yes, he's a great man, but his back has been broken twice, he's been shot, they tried to shoot up his SUV. I don't want that for Carole!"

"Ladies," said Maggie, "why don't you let me talk to Laura for a moment."

"We'll be on the back deck." Cindy said. She and Teresa got up and went out onto the deck and sat down in the warm sunshine. Buddy had followed, and was sitting by Teresa, getting skritchins.

"Laura," Maggie said, "I was a very poor mother. I----"

"That's not true." Laura said "Your daughters are wonderful young ladies, and very accomplished."

Maggie said "Let me explain. Molly was a toddler when I left her and her father, and began my relationship with Harvey Eckhart. I don't regret that Cindy was the result of that, but it was a horrible thing that I did to Molly. And while Molly was happy when I came back, there was always a sense in her that I might go away again As a result Molly developed a sense of independence and self-reliance. Being a Canadian farm girl may have added to that, of course."

Maggie continued: "And Cindy... well, she had no fear of danger. You've heard the story of her sledding down the hillside, but she'd climb right to the top of a tree, or go straight into a cave with no thought of her own safety. And when she began doing martial arts, her father... my husband... supported her, even though I didn't want my 'young lady' to be doing those things."

Maggie: "And this is why I asked them to step outside: you know the issues with Cindy's orientation, and she left home because we didn't accept it. Since then, I've tried hard to accept it, and Callie is a wonderful, sweet young lady... but it still bothers me deep down. I lost years of life with my daughter because of that, and when I saw her lying in that hospital bed, I knew that if she lived that I would have to let it go and accept her for what she is if I was going to have a relationship with my daughter."

Maggie: "I did not want either of my daughters to become Police Officers. I always dreamed of them growing up to do more 'proper' things for women to do. But I realize now they were meant to be Police Officers. Nothing ever hurt me, not even my husband's death, as much as seeing my little girls lying near death and me unable to do a thing to help them. But that is part of what they are."

Laura said "I always dreamed of having a daughter, and doing mother-daughter things with her, and my future husband would raise our son in his image... which I guess I always expected to be an Agent of some kind. And now... my daughter wants to follow in her father's footsteps, and my son seems more interested in the engineering and the military."

"Carole will always be your daughter, and you will always be her mother." said Maggie. "But I missed a lot of time with Cindy by not accepting her becoming what she is. Don't make that same mistake with Carole. She is what she is, and she will be what she is destined to be..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As they sat outside and Teresa petted a very content Buddy, Cindy asked "Well, you think we helped? Or made things worse?"

"What did your vibe say?" Teresa asked.

"She didn't like it, at first." Cindy said. "But I'm getting the feeling now that my mom got through to her."

"What do you think, Buddy?" Teresa asked the cocker spaniel as she continued to pet him. Buddy just looked up at her with pure love in his canine eyes.

"I'm just surprised this was such a big thing between Don and Laura." Cindy said. "They're usually so in sync about things."

Teresa didn't say anything, which caused Cindy to peer over at her. Buddy looked over from Teresa to Cindy, and the Green Crowbar sensed that there was a lot more to this than she knew...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Daddy! Mommy!" cried out Tasha as Paulina and I came back to The Cabin at 2:00pm. She rushed over to hug my legs, and I picked her up and hugged her.

"Hey Little Love." I said. "Were you a good girl today?"

"Yes, Daddy." Tasha said. "And Tiger Mom let me pet her today!"

"That's wonderful!" I said, glad that Tiger Mom was warming up to the kids.

"Go get your bag, Tasha." Paulina said. "We've got to go."

"Awwww." Tasha said. But she raced upstairs to get her overnight bag.

"Ready for the trial?" Laura asked as she came out of the kitchen.

"Yes." Paulina said. "I think that after Don is finished testifying, it will be all over for Peter Blassingame."

"I sure hope so." I said. Tasha came back down with her bag, and she and Paulina made their goodbyes and left.

"Where is everyone?" I asked, meaning a whole lotta kids and dogs.

"Upstairs, with Cindy and Callie." Laura said. "Let's go out on deck."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We sat down together in the metal mesh loveseat. "I guess you know about the intervention... er, conversation I had with Cindy, Teresa, and Maggie today."

"First I'm hearing of it." I said. "Paulina was running me through the ringer on trial prep."

Laura looked over at me. "You didn't put them up to it?" she asked skeptically.

"Cindy came to me about it." I said. "She said she would talk to you, too. And no, I didn't put them up to it."

"Well," Laura said, "they made some good points." After a pause, she said "Carole's yours."

That caused me to look skeptically at her. "No, she's ours. Both of ours. Just as Jim is."

Laura said "I always thought that I'd raise my daughter the way the Old Mother raised me. Not necessarily to be an Agent or a CIA Officer, but to have the social skills to be a doctor, or a University President, or Mayor or Senator. Instead... she already has her sights set on making that red crowbar hers."

"And a worthy goal that is." I said. "And I understand what you're saying, and you are still Carole's mother and you have considerable influence over her. And she will need your teachings on those social graces."

"What about Jim?" Laura said. "You're not molding him into being your successor with the TCPD?"

"I'm not trying to mold any of them." I said, meaning all my children. "Oh, I'll teach them right from wrong, I'll advise them if they ask for it. But I want all of them to make their own choices. And Jim... well, Carole's prediction of him becoming an Army General just may come true. And you might mold him towards that far more than I will."

I then said "You know, this is a bad analogy, but I remember when I brought Bowser home from the Evidence Pound, thinking I had a new dog to mold as my canine companion. And that ended the minute I put him down on the floor and he padded over to Carole. Oh, I still own the dog, and I have influence over him. But I also know who he thinks he belongs to."

Laura whimpered a laugh, then tried to hold back further laughter, and failed. "That dog." she said simply. Then the humor vanished, and she said "Okay, then. Carole knows whose path she wants to follow. She has to mind me, she has to respect me. But I'll leave the punishments... and the molding... to you."

"I always knew you were smart as well as beautiful." I said, putting my arm around her.

"Butter me up, butter me up." my wife replied. "Let's go back inside. You haven't eaten all day; this doctor can hear your stomach grumbling."

"That's not all that's grumbling within me." I said, kissing Laura's cheek. We got up and went back in. We had our armistice regarding Carole. It would last ten years...

Part 19 - Trials and Tribulations

9:00am, Monday, August 19th. Police Captain Tanya Perlman was called to the stand. Paulina led her through her parts of the case: actions at the crime scene, actions collecting data, actions leading her Detectives through to a successful arrest of Peter Blassingame for aggravated rape and double murder.

Gwen Munson tried to poke and prod at Tanya's testimony, but she'd have had better luck trying to outrun Tanya's Tank; Tanya's photographic memory could not be shaken.

"Your Honor," said Gwen when she was finished, "I'd like for this witness to be subject to recall."

"Objection, Your Honor." Paulina said. "Defense counsel should finish her cross now or explain her reasons for wanting to hold the witness for recall." In case you're wondering, asking for a witness to be subject to recall means the witness cannot stay in the Courtroom after testifying.

"Your Honor," said Gwen Munson, "we may need to re-question this witness to corroborate testimony of upcoming witnesses. This witness works across the Square and could be recalled quickly and efficiently."

"I'll allow it." said Judge Watts. "Prosecution, redirect?"

"No more questions at this time, Your Honor." said Paulina.

"Captain Perlman, have your cellphone with you at all times. You may return to your duties." said Judge Watts.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"The People call Police Commander Donald Troy to the stand." announced Paulina Patterson.

You almost could hear the 'Imperial March', Darth Vader's theme from Star Wars, as the double doors at the back of the courtroom opened and Your Iron Crowbar strode down the aisle. I strived to make an entrance like Jack Nicholson did when entering the Courtroom in 'A Few Good Men': I had my highwall Police Officer's hat under my left armpit, and I acted as if I owned the room. I walked down the aisle with what some would call a swagger, some would call confidence, and some would call arrogance.

I was wearing my Semi-formal Uniform with full complement of ribbons, including State citation ribbons. My badge, insignia, nametag, belt buckle, and shoes were shined to the Airborne standard and then some. And I could feel everyone's eyes upon me as the Bailiff guided me to the Bench and the witness chair.

I was sworn in by the Bailiff, then I sat down in the witness chair, which was to the Judge's right side. Paulina and Jenna were on the right side, to my left as I looked at them. I saw the parents of Steven Walter Henry and Wendy Withers sitting behind them in the first row. Gwen Munson and the Jew-hating Nathan Masterson were almost in front of me with the dumb-looking Peter Blassingame sitting there looking bored. His mother and her brother were behind them in the first row. The Jury was to my right.

Paulina got up and said "Please state your full name and occupation."

"James Donald Troy. Police Commander, Town & County Police Force." I replied.

"Your Honor," said Paulina Patterson, "I'd like to read the Police Commander's record of medals and citations into the Court record."

"Objection." said Gwen Munson. "The witness's name and occupation are sufficient."

"Overruled." said Judge Watts. "Proceed, Prosecutor."

Paulina read my citations in reverse order, ending with "... two Purple Orders, the Distinguished Service Award, two Medals of Valor, the State Citation of Merit, the Governor's Gold Medal, the FBI Medal for Meritorious Achievement, the Secretary of Defense Medal for Valor. Commander Troy is also certified by the State Crime Lab to run tests on evidence."

Paulina then guided me through the case, from my first appearance on the crime scene, to processing the evidence, to the interrogation of Smallwood. Gwen Munson didn't miss a beat when a question was asked about observations I made. "Objection! The witness is not an expert on forensic pathology."

Paulina replied: "Your Honor, as the record I just read stated, Commander Troy was a Commissioned Officer in the Military Police Corps, he is second-in-command of the Town & County Police Force, Reserve Inspector for the SBI, and his record of successes more than qualifies him as an expert witness on this and any other Police matters."

"Objection overruled." said Judge Watts. "I have rarely seen a more qualified expert on crime than Commander Troy. You may proceed..."

And Paulina did not shirk from the only possible problem we might have: the raid on the Taus that was in progress when an illegal Federal Court orders rescinded the local warrants.

"The warrants under which you made those arrests and took DNA evidence were issued, and you made the raid, correct?"

"That is correct." I said.

Paulina said to the Jury: "The warrants that were issued were rescinded, but were later restored as valid upon appeal." She turned to me and said "The Police raid of the Tau House was already in progress when you got word that a Federal Court had rescinded them, is that correct?"

"The raid was almost completed, yes." I said.

"And you followed the Courts's instructions regarding the evidence testing, is that right?" Paulina asked.

"That is correct." I said.

"And then you obtained probable cause from another source, the finding of the Impala used in the crime, is that correct?" Paulina asked. Yes, she had to spoon-feed it to me, and I to the Jury like this.

"Correct." I said. "We took fresh DNA evidence, though the earlier evidence was considered valid, as well."

After a lot more questions, Paulina finally said "Your witness." And that's when the 'fight' began.

"Commander Troy," said Gwen Munson as she stood up, "for what reason did you receive the Office of the Secretary of Defense Medal for Valor?" This was a trap; normally Paulina would be expected to object due to relevance, which would be accurate but would also serve Munson's purpose of tarnishing one of my highest awards. But Paulina and I had prepared for it, and she did not object.

"The reason I was awarded that medal is classified." I said. "I am not permitted to speak of it here."

"So you did something clandestine, and you hide behind 'national security' instead of revealing the reason in Court?" Gwen tried.

"Ahhhhhbb-jection, Your Honor." said Paulina witheringly.

"Sustained." said Watts. "Move along, Ms. Munson."

"Your Honor, I'm trying to establish the----

*SLAM!* went the gavel.

"I said the objection is sustained, Ms. Munson!" growled Judge Watts. "Move. Along."

"Gladly, Your Honor." Gwen said disdainfully. "Commander Troy, you said the raid of he Tau House was in progress when the Federal order rescinding the warrants came down. Why didn't you stop the raid?"

"Objection as to form!" called out Jenna Stiles, who had caught the bad form.

"I'll re-state." said Munson. "Commander Troy, when the Federal order rescinding the warrants came down, did you stop the raid?"

"Yes, over time." I said.

"It's a yes-or-no question." snarled Munson. "Did you or did you not stop the raid when the Federal order to rescind it came down?"

"Objection, leading the witness." Paulina said.

"It's not leading the witness, it's a yes-or-no----"

*SLAM!* went the gavel.

"Approach the bench." ordered Watts. Gwen and Paulina hissed back and forth about the misleading nature of the the question. He dressed them down severely, then said out loud "Answer the question, Commander."