Vox Populi Vox Dei Ch. 03

Story Info
Funeral; Court Trial; Trouble at home.
15.3k words
4.82
6.6k
6

Part 3 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 04/19/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

***

Part 15 - Tears

Sheriff Griswold reached Laura as I began walking down the hall after him. "I'm sorry." she said, tears flowing down her cheeks. "We did all we could..."

Dazed, Griswold turned and went through the OR doors. Laura made a feeble gesture to stop him, but it was too late. Just then I got to Laura. She fell into my arms and cried on my shoulder as I held her.

After a moment, I whispered "I need to go get the Sheriff." Laura nodded. She and Cindy hugged as I went through the doors.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

It's never shown on TV, but certain things go on after a patient dies in the operating room. Those things were going on when Sheriff Griswold appeared in the room. The attendants barely had time to cover Mrs. Griswold's body with a cloth as the dazed widower came up to the table. He began sobbing when he saw his wife's face, and he went over to her side and sobbed "I love you..." several times.

Dr. Morgan was about to intervene when he saw me come in. I came up to the Sheriff and put my hand on his shoulder. He looked spooked as he looked up over his shoulder at me.

"They've done all they can, Sheriff." I said. "We'll take care of the rest. Come on." I put my arm around his shoulders and led him out of that room. Things were kind of blurry, as tears were flowing down my cheeks as well as everyone else in the room. Even Dr. Searles was emotional. I just nodded to them as I got the Sheriff through the door...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

6:00pm, Thursday, August 15th. One thing I have always liked about my Town & County is that despite its size, it still has that small town feel, and people act like residents of a small town. Never was that shown better than in the time of a death of a loved one.

Presbyterians began doing Presbyterian things, and soon there was more food in the Griswold home than anyone could eat in two days. Cindy had followed me to the Sheriff's house and was taking and storing the food in the refrigerator and freezer, and she ended up using the Sheriff's fish freezer on the back porch for some of the meat dishes.

The Rev. Dr. Edward Ayers, the Presbyterian minister arrived within a few minutes of us, but it was the arrivals of Police Chief Sean Moynahan and Chaplain Alberto Romano that might've been the most helpful. Father Romano was in his Police Duty Dress uniform, and for the first time in my memory he was wearing a white shirt and black tie instead of his black shirt and white clerical collar.. He was here as the Police Captain he was. And as both he and Chief Moynahan were widowers themselves, they understood most fully what Sheriff Griswold was now enduring.

It was times like these that the Police Public Relations Officer, Captain Damien Thompson, earned his paycheck. It had been his duty to put out the Press releases, and to notify the Public Safety Department as well as the Mayor in an official kind of way. And he handled things very well.

And I took it upon myself to be the Police Officer attending to the Sheriff's needs. No one was fooled: this was far more than an official duty. I was doing this as a member of the Sheriff's family... his only remaining family.

I talked with Dr. Ayers about what day was best for the funeral, Saturday or Sunday. He asked the Sheriff, who just said 'I don't know yet... I just don't know yet..." We did set the 'visitation' for Friday evening.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

It was after dark, and despite the summer warmth a good fire was burning in the fire pot in the Sheriff's backyard near the lake. He was sitting in a chair out there, with Father Romano and Chief Moynahan on either side of him.

"I caught a little of what they were talking about." Cindy said to me as we stood in the kitchen and looked out into the backyard. "They talked about their wives and losing them, how unexpected it was and everything. I think it's helping, but just having them there is helping him more."

I nodded. "Yes, I'm glad they're there, too. I sure don't know what to say in times like these."

Cindy said "I'm glad you were there at the hospital, though. Laura didn't know what they were going to do when the Sheriff went into the O.R., but he responded to you when you led him out." I just nodded.

After a while, Chief Moynahan and Father Romano came back inside. "He wouldn't come inside with us." the Chief said.

"Thanks. I'll go talk to him." I said. I first took a shawl from the sofa in the living room, then went outside. Sheriff Griswold had put more logs on the fire, then sat down in a reclining chair.

"How're you doing, Sheriff?" I asked as I came up.

"Okay." said Griswold. "Have a seat, Crowbar." I sat down in one of the chairs, and we watched the fire and the blackness of the lake beyond it.

The Sheriff spoke first. "Thank you for coming in and taking me out of the O.R., Crowbar. I never should've gone in there. I'm not sorry I did, but I'll apologize to the doctors and nurses."

"Yes sir," I said, "but I think they understood. And who's gonna stop the County Sheriff, if not his often-insubordinate Police Commander?"

"Har." growled the Sheriff, who then said: "You weren't being a Police Commander at that moment, Crowbar. You were being the family that you are to me. I'm thankful you were there for me."

"Yes sir." I said. "And in that capacity, I'm going to make the funeral arrangements tomorrow. Do you want the funeral on Saturday or Sunday?" This had to be asked, and I sensed it was as good a time as any.

The Sheriff contemplated, then said "Saturday. Any reason to delay it?"

"No sir." I said.

"I'll leave it all to you, Crowbar." said the Sheriff. "You'll pick out the right casket, and Cindy and Laura will pick out the right clothes. Dr. Ayers is handling the funeral service itself. He told me that my wife had talked with him about her service... and mine... some time ago, before she began getting ill..." He stopped talking, and I saw the tears beginning to flow.

"Sheriff, want to come inside and get some sleep?" I asked. "Laura left me a pill for you to take."

"No, I just want to sit out here for a few minutes." said the Chief. "And think about things..."

We sat together for several minutes. I tried to practice what Dr. P. Harvey Eckhart had taught me, to clear my mind, and let my thoughts expand over the black emptiness of the water of the lake. I thought I heard the dots and dashes of Morse Code for a second...

I opened my eyes. I had fallen asleep. I looked over at the Sheriff; he was asleep, also. I covered him with the shawl and made my way back to the house. Cindy had pulled out the sofa-bed in the living room and put a sheet on the mattress. She said goodnight and left, and I texted Laura that I was staying here for the night...

Part 16 - Crime and Punishment, Sadness and Happiness

7:00am, Friday, August 16th. I woke up, put the sofa-bed away, then began a pot of coffee. I went outside and down to where Sheriff Griswold was. He was still sound asleep. The fire looked to be died out, but just to be sure, I put the trash can top kept there for just this purpose on top of the fire pot.

"Good morning, Sheriff." I said. Griswold shook his head as he came awake, then took in his bearings.

"Did you give me something to put me to sleep?" he asked as he got up and stretched.

"No sir." I said. "Must be sleeping outdoors that had you sleeping so hard. And you needed it."

"Yeah." said the Sheriff. We went back inside, where I poured him a cup of coffee and heated some of the food in the refrigerator for him. He insisted I make a plate for myself. As we ate, he said "Why don't you go home and get cleaned up while I do the same here. Then I'll go to the funeral home with you. I know you'll pick the right casket, but I just need something to do."

"Sure, sir." I said, perhaps a bit absentmindedly.

"What is it?" the Sheriff growled.

"Nothing, sir." I said. "Well, it's Greta's second birthday today. I gave Jack Muscone a birthday card the other day, to send to Sandra in New York through the FBI's internal mail system since I don't know her address. I hope it gets there."

"It will." said the Sheriff. "I know it's hard, your daughter being that far away from you. All I can suggest is that you keep being the wonderful dad you are for the daughters you have here..."

This man's wife just died, and he's trying to give me comfort and advice, I thought to myself. Just one of the reasons I respect him and look up to him so much...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

9:00am. There was a pall throughout the Courthouse as the trial of Peter Blassingame continued. Before bringing in the Jury, Judge Watts took his seat behind the bench, then said "Okay, who is on the witness list for today?"

Paulina Patterson said "Your Honor, we'd like to have the Detective and the techs from Midtown testify, so that they can go home when they're done and not have the expense of either having to stay over the weekend or traveling to Midtown and back up again. We also wish to delay Commander Troy's appearance until next week, as he is making the arrangements for the Sheriff's wife's funeral."

"Your Honor," said Nathan Masterson, "we strenuously object to that. Commander Troy should appear as soon as possible, including today with the others that were at the crime scene, and the Midtown people should wait until after that, no matter how long it takes. Also, Troy should be here today, and waiting in the Witness Room to be called."

"Wow. Just wow." said Judge Watts, shaking his head in disbelief. "How about I just call a recess today, then, so that all the Officers can prepare for the Sheriff's wife's funeral?"

"Your Honor," said Masterson, "we don't care about the rest of them. We simply ask that Commander Troy be ready to be called upon today, so that he can testify today. We expect Commander Troy to follow the rules of this Court like everyone else has to do. And we believe the trial should continue without further delay."

"Let me see if I get this straight." said Watts. "Your colleague was demanding a continuance of two months, laying that as grounds for an appeal, and now you say we should proceed without delay. I can't wait for the Appeals Court to hear that one; they need a good laugh from time to time."

"My concern is that Commander Troy be forced to obey the rules like everyone else." said Masterson. "He should be forced to be here, in the witness room, and wait there all day if need be."

"Okay, here's what we're going to do." said Judge Watts. "Prosecutor, we'll go ahead and call the Midtown witnesses, and if the Defense doesn't make a joke of it and extend it out, you can call the techs and the Detective that were at the crime scene. Commander Troy will be scheduled for Monday at the earliest."

"But Your Honor---" started Gwen Munson, who'd just come to the Defense table---

*SLAM!*

The judge's hard banging of his gavel made a lot of people in the Courtroom jump. "I've made my ruling!" Watts yelled. "One more word out of you, Munson, and you'll be in contempt! I'm tired of your shenanigans!"

"Your Honor," Gwen Munson said fearlessly, "I ask for a continuance so that I can make an appeal... to have you recused as the presiding judge over this case."

There were gasps in the Courtroom, but Watts didn't play: "You can appeal whatever you want, but I'm the judge, I'm in charge here, and we will continue! Bring in the Jury! Prosecutor, your first witness, please..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I picked out a very nice wood coffin for Mrs. Griswold, similar to the one we'd buried Charlie in. The Sheriff approved my choice. Then Laura and Cindy brought a couple of Mrs. Griswold's dresses. The Sheriff approved the one Cindy had brought, actually a pantsuit.

Mrs. Griswold's hairstylist came to the funeral home to do her hair and makeup while I took Sheriff Griswold to the Presbyterian Church to consult with Rev. Dr. Ayers on the funeral service. We anticipated a very large crowd, far more than the church could hold. The Sheriff approved of my idea to hold a private service of the Griswold's closest friends and family... and I think that's when it truly hit the Sheriff that the only family he had left were the Officers and Deputies of Town & County Law Enforcement, and me. He spent a few minutes alone with Dr. Ayers while I called Cindy to have Captain Thompson put out the official announcements.

Then I took the Sheriff back to his house, and the visitors began coming. Non stop...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Paulina Patterson expertly guided Midtown Detective Nell Bell through Nell's actions in getting the auto shop manager 'Cochise' to sign a consent form allowing the search of the car Blassingame had brought in to be painted, then getting a warrant to impound the car after the incriminating evidence was found on and in it.

Then Gwen Munson took her shots, questioning Nell's experience and time-in-grade with the Midtown PD, then covering old ground: "Why didn't you get a warrant before beginning the investigation of that car?"

"We didn't need one." said Nell Bell. "The shop owner gave his consent, in writing."

"Oh, so you're telling me that the shop owner just agreeably went along with your request to examine that car, not asking for a warrant?" Gwen asked, as if totally stunned at the possibility.

"He signed the consent form." Nell said adroitly.

Munson then questioned the integrity of the evidence that was found, citing ineptitude by the CSI team that collected it. She asked the judge to throw out the evidence, and Watts refused, saying the matter had already been ruled upon in the pre-trial motions.

"And who told you to go to that shop in the first place?" Munson then asked Bell.

"We received a tip from the Town & County Police Force." said Nell Bell.

"From Commander Donald Troy?" asked Gwen harshly.

"No, Lieutenant Mary Milton contacted me about it." said Nell Bell.

"And who told her about it?" snarled Munson.

"You'll have to as her that question." said Nell, remaining unperturbed.

"No more questions." said Munson. "But I would like this witness to be subject to immediate recall at any time."

"Objection." said Paulina. "The witness is from Midtown, two hours away. Defense counsel should finish her questioning, or explain in full why the witness should have to remain here or travel home and back over the weekend, and at unnecessary expense."

"There is no price tag on Justice, Your Honor----" Gwen tried.

"Objection sustained." said Watts. "Detective Bell, the Court appreciates you being up here for your testimony. You're excused and may go home, but you cannot remain in the Courtroom for the trial, and you should be prepared to come back if it does become necessary to recall you."

"Yes, Your Honor." said Nell Bell. She left the Courtroom.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

2:30pm, Friday, August 16th. There was a fairly large gathering of Ladies Auxiliary and Kiwanis Club members in the Griswold home when Laura came in, wearing a black sleeveless dress. To my surprise, she had Carole with her, wearing a black dress and her white stockings and black 'Sunday' shoes.

I made observations, which were confirmed when Laura said to me "Carole insisted on coming... more like she threw the biggest hissy fit you never saw. She's going to be in timeout all weekend for that."

"We'll talk about it later." I said "She's here now." I looked down and saw Carole looking up at me, partially defiantly, partially hopeful that I'd take her side. I said "Let's go see Grampa Griswold, Carole."

My daughter took my hand and practically led me to Sheriff Griswold as he sat on the sofa. His eyes brightened considerably upon seeing her.

"I'm verrry sorry that Grandma Griswold died." Carole said. "Would a hug make you feel better?"

"Thank you, Carole." the Sheriff said. "And yes, a hug would make me feel much better." Carole clambered up on the couch and gave Grandpa Griswold a big hug, and everyone's hearts in the room felt a little warmer.

As people began talking again, Cindy came in from the kitchen. "I just heard from Jenna. They're in recess at the Court. They had to call Julia Rodriguez to the stand. They were going to call Tanya, but the judge said Tanya could wait until Monday, as could you. Jenna thinks Gwen Munson will try to use that as part of her appeal."

"I hope she'll need to appeal." I said. "I'm hearing that Judge Watts is on the verge of kicking her off the Defense team for Contempt----"

I looked around. "Hold on. Where's Carole?" We looked around and then Cindy pointed to the cracked door of the other bedroom... Charlie's sealed-off room. I went over in pursuit.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Having questioned Detective Julia Rodriguez, Gwen Munson was now in cross-examination of Lieutenant Mary Milton.

"Lieutenant Milton," Gwen Munson said, "who informed you of the Impala at the China One Auto Shop?"

"The surveillance units of the Midtown Police Department," said Mary Milton, "working in conjunction with the TCPD's technical intelligence unit." That was 'sort of' the name of the group consisting of Sonali, Lainie, and some of Myron's techs.

"So the Midtown Police informed you, after they were informed by the TCPD." said Gwen. "Isn't this just some kind of circular firing squad to illegally establish probable cause for a warrant?"

"Objection!" Paulina cried out she rose to her feet.

"I withdraw the question." said Munson. "Lieutenant Milton----"

"Your Honor, I still object." said Paulina. "May I approach the Bench?"

"Let's do better." said Judge Watts. "I'll see both you and Ms. Munson in Chambers. Ten minute recess."

Once in Chambers, Paulina exploded. "Your Honor, Defense counsel is attempting to taint the Jury with blatantly false information. She can't just 'withdraw the question', they already heard her say that the information was obtained illegally, which it absolutely was not."

"Your Honor, I will prove that it was obtained illegally, and that all the evidence that was gathered under that warrant should be thrown out." Munson replied.

"But not that way." asserted Watts. "I agree that your comment was potentially harmful for the Jury to hear. And Ms. Munson, if I have to call a mistrial, part of that will be to hold you in Contempt, whereupon you will be jailed until the next trial is over, and I will work my butt off to have you disbarred in this State..."

Upon returning to the Courtroom, Judge Watts addressed the Jury: "It has not been shown that the methods of obtaining the data concerning that Impala and the warrant under which it was examined for evidence was improper in any way. Defense counsel's comment was inappropriate, and you are to disregard it. It is to be struck from the record. Okay, your witness, Defense counsel."

"No more questions, Your Honor." said Munson sullenly. "But I ask that this witness be subject to recall."

"Objection." said Paulina.

"Overruled, I'll allow it." said Judge Watts. "Lieutenant Milton, you may return to your duties, but keep your cellphone on you at all times..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *