Waxing or Waning

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Ms. Wimsett spoke in a smooth, calm voice. "Ms. Crandall, let me assure you that my clients only had Evan's best interest at heart. They . . . "

"How is stealing my child in his best interest?"

James' attorney immediately changed the tone of her communication. "They stole your child? Come now Ms. Crandall, did you or did you not become pregnant with Evan BEFORE you started the divorce process with your ex-husband?

"Our marriage was over by then even though we had not divorced yet."

"Having sex with and getting pregnant by another man obviously meant it was over for you."

"Objection!"

"Sustained."

"Sorry, your honor. I won't ask you about how terrible a husband and father James was. I have your mother and daughters to testify not only as to what kind of father he was to your girls while they were growing up but also to the time Evan has been with him and his current wife. What I do want to ask you is this: Twenty years ago, did James leave you when he found out that you were going to have twins?

"No, of course not."

"Did he ever get another woman pregnant while you two were still married? Oh wait, he had a vasectomy because YOU didn't want to have any more children. Then you wind up pregnant again. So, evidently you lied about not wanting anymore children?"

"No, I never lied about that. I just got so used to having sex without using birth control I didn't protect myself with Cameron. It was an accident."

"So, you didn't want to have Evan then?"

"Yes, No, you're twisting my words. I didn't want to get pregnant, but once I was, I wanted him. I still want him."

"So, you didn't want another child by your husband of 20 years, but you didn't bother to take the precautions not to have a child from your lover of several months. How well did that work for you, Ms. Crandall?"

"Objection!"

"Sustained. Let's keep the snide comments out."

"Sorry, your honor. Let's move on to when your second husband dumped you after you dumped your husband for him. Let's go on to the time you were in a coma. Were you aware that your ex-husband, mother and daughters all prayed for you to recover? Were you aware that the Child Welfare Office was threatening to put Evan in Foster Care? After more than a month, wasn't it time for your family to do more for the vulnerable infant Evan than to pray? Who do you think kept Evan during that time, feeding, bathing, diapering him? Who was kissing, hugging, and loving him? Was it your mother, your daughters, your ex-husband and people he paid to help out? Yes, they did. They had to do something because not only were you in a coma, but also no one knew if you would EVER recover from your coma, did they?"

"You've asked too many questions for me to answer. I don't know what happened to Evan until after I recovered. That's when I found out about the conspiracy to take my son from me."

"We will have witnesses tell you what happened to Evan while you were in the coma. Let's move on to after you awoke. Were you physically able to take care of an infant immediately after you awoke?"

"No, my muscles had atrophied, and I needed physical therapy to get back to where I could care for myself and my child. I have that now so there's no reason to return him to me."

"So, are you saying that no one should have cared for Evan during your coma and after when you admit you couldn't even care for him yourself?"

"Nonsense, of course someone should have cared for him. But they didn't have to adopt him to care for him."

"So, it didn't matter that in order to have Evan covered by health insurance your ex-husband adopted him? Although he was listed on the birth certificate, James went beyond that to have his wife adopt him and to get a release from Evan's biological father, just to make sure his continuation of care would not be disrupted.

"Do you know how many physical problems children with Downs typically have Ms. Crandall? Did you know that Evan has a hole in his heart that could require surgery at any time? Did you know that a Speech Therapist has been working with Evan because he has a swallowing problem?"

"Of course, I'm glad that someone took care of him for me. But that's what it should have been: taking care of him FOR ME until I could. I can now. GIVE ME MY BABY!"

"Are you sure you're ready to be a mother for a special needs child? Were you told about the potential lingering psychological effects of being in a coma? Did you think you were you being grateful to one of the people caring for your son when you cursed out my client Jill Masters? Then when my clients suggested you get professional mental health services, you made threats to the people who did care for Evan when you couldn't. Does that sound like the kind of person to hand a mentally and physically challenged child to?"

"They exaggerated my statements. I was mad when they kept my baby away from me."

"Yes. Shame on them for keeping a helpless infant from his physically weak and emotionally distressed mother."

"Counselor!"

"Sorry, your honor. That's all I have."

* * * * *

Testimony was heard from Sarah, the twins, then James and Jill. They all reported they were doing what was needed for Evan's care based on what he needed for an indefinite period of time. They all said they hoped Leslie would eventually be able to care for her son. They all said that for Evan's sake she needed professional counseling and maybe even an evaluation and monitoring of her home by Children's Services.

The judge ruled. "As much as I think it would be in the best interests of Ms. Crandall to seek counseling, the reversal of her need for guardianship required a multi-disciplinary evaluation of her competence. Since she is now considered a legally, competent adult, I must rule that all previous adoption actions are now null and void. The child, Evan, shall be returned to her as soon as possible." He gaveled the proceedings shut.

Leslie cried. She cried tears of joy. The rest of the family cried too. They cried tears of sadness. Evan was sent for. Barbara, the twin watching him, brought Evan to James. "I'm sorry. I can't give him to her." James took Evan and the large bag with his stuff over to Leslie. She snatched him up abruptly. Evan cried and reached for someone he knew to hold him. He reached back for the man he knew as his daddy. James was in tears when he offered Leslie a chance to work out a smoother transition for taking Evan. As she struggled to hold on to a squirming Evan, Leslie told James to go fuck himself. She took her son and his things to her home.

At first, Evan was never out of her sight. His crib was next to her bed. Leslie overdosed him with love to try and make up for her lack of contact since he was born. He responded to her care by crying, sleeping, eating, peeing and pooping. Lack of familiarity with her smell, her feel, and her voice meant that it took him a while to let Leslie hold him without resisting. Reality was a harsh teacher for a middle age mother of an infant. Leslie became aware that there were things she did not know about his care history and his medical situation she needed to know. She lamented that by taking Evan abruptly from the home and people he knew as mother and father, she was making it harder on him than it should have been. Reluctantly, she called James up and asked if she could come over and pick up the rest of his things and, most importantly, talk civilly about Evan. James readily agreed.

* * * * *

AT JAMES' HOUSE

Leslie was surprised that the young male with Downs that she had seen in the courtroom answered the door.

Initially ignoring Leslie, the young man talked to the infant. "Hey Evan. How's my little buddy?"

Addressing Leslie, he said, "Hi, I'm Mark and I don't like the things you said about my mother."

Jill hollered out from the kitchen, "Mark, be polite and let her in."

"Okay, but I still don't like her."

Jill came into the living room and greeted her. "Please come in, Leslie. Would you like something to drink? Coffee, tea, wine?"

"Coffee would be great. A little milk and some artificial sweetener."

"Mark, would you bring in the coffee and the condiments."

"Okay, Mom." As soon as Mark came back, Evan tried to get away to go to him. He asked Leslie, "May I play with him? He still has a bunch of toys in his old room."

Leslie looked at Jill who said, "Don't worry. They will be fine."

"Okay." Evan went to Mark willingly and started giggling right away. They went to a room down the hall from the living room.

"So, Jill, Mark is your son I take it. Does he live here with you and James?"

"No, he has his own apartment. I didn't used to see him that much with his job and girlfriend and all, but ever since Evan came, he has wanted to come over and help us care for him. He has really missed Evan. We all have." Tears started to come to her eyes. "I'm sorry. I promised myself I wouldn't do this."

"Jill, I'm the one who needs to apologize for my behavior the last few months. Having had Evan a while now, I have come to realize a number of things. First and foremost, you and James did a great job in taking care of Evan. My emotions were all mixed up after coming out of the coma. I said some things I completely regretted later. I want to thank you for what you did for my son."

"Apology accepted. Whereas I want you to know our intention was to give Evan the best home possible, the idea of you coming to get him back, however, was getting harder for us to imagine as your coma continued. It has been very difficult without him here. I was so glad you brought him here tonight so we could see him. We have most of his stuff packed up for you to take with you. Feel free to get rid of things you don't want. We kind of went crazy buying things for him. Your mother and daughters bought a lot of stuff too."

"Actually, I had hoped we could talk some about caring for Evan. I think I can learn a lot from you about raising a Down Syndrome child plus I need any medical information you can give me."

"We have a packet of medical information for you. James thought it better we wait until you asked for it. You seemed quite sure you didn't want any help or information from us at the courthouse."

About that time, James came in. "Sorry, folks. I had to work later than I thought. Let me put my things up and I'll come back. Do you have enough coffee for me too?"

"I'll put some more on while you do your thing. Leslie, is there anything else I can get you while I'm up?"

"No, thanks."

"I'll be right back."

Leslie took the time she had to herself to look around. The home had a very comfortable feel to it. She could tell that the house had been 'childproofed' similar to what the house had looked like when the girls were young and what her apartment looked like now. Evan had already given her several lessons in the need to childproof her apartment.

James came in and asked, "What did I miss?"

"Nothing much. Jill and I were getting acquainted."

"Did you bring Evan?"

"He's with Mark. Evan started insisting to play with him almost as soon as we got here."

"They do get along well. Mark is a remarkable young man. He has a job at Kroger's and takes care of himself except for driving a car and money management. He takes great pride in his independence."

"I can see why Jill was such a help with Evan. She seems to have done a great job with Mark."

"Yes. I couldn't have handled raising Evan nearly as well by myself. Meeting Jill was my answer to a prayer. Now, what can we help you with?" Jill had brought more coffee and sat down beside James.

The three adults spent a great deal of time talking. James briefed Leslie on medical issues. James and Jill had everyone laughing at stories of Evan's exploits including the night they heard the cat crunching on his dry food only to find out that the cat was in the room with them. Upon investigation, they found out that Evan had escaped his playpen and was enjoying a snack. They had called Poison Control only to find that not only was it not harmful but was probably very nutritious.

When Evan had fallen to sleep, Leslie decided it was time that she and he made their exit. Leslie only took the packet of information as James promised to bring the toys and clothes they still had to her apartment tomorrow. Leslie was feeling so good, she didn't want to leave.

From then on, there were times they all got together again. James and Jill even babysat Evan when Leslie started dating again. Leslie found out that her experience with James and Cameron had made her more sensitive of the attributes of the type of man she wanted as well as more aware of the pitfalls of falling for a seductive line from a handsome man. None of the men for a few years she dated became a serious contender for marriage.

* * * * *

SURGERY

It became the time when Evan was old enough to have the surgery to close the hole in his heart. The girls couldn't get away to come stay with Leslie. Sarah was having her own health problems and didn't want Leslie to have to worry about her and Evan both. James and Jill had told her long ago they would be glad to come be with her at the hospital if she wanted them.

Leslie was in the waiting room when James came in with two large shopping bags. "How's he doing, Leslie?"

"He just went in for surgery. They'll tell us when he goes into the Recovery Room."

"How are YOU doing, Leslie?"

"Barely hanging on. They say on one hand that it's a surgery they have done many times and that he should have no problem, but then they say that there's always a risk with heart surgery. Oh James, I could not stand to lose him after what I went through to get him back." Suddenly she became aware of what that might sound like to James.

"James, I didn't mean that to criticize you. You and Jill have been wonderful to me. Where is she by the way?"

"Jill doesn't live with me anymore. She's gone back to take care of her elderly parents. Mark has gone with her."

"Are you . . . "

"Divorcing? Yes. But you are not aware that we sort of planned it that way. When we were first discussing about how best to take care of Evan, we decided that I needed a wife. That would make it easier to make a stronger legal case for adopting Evan. The adoption also helped get Evan on my health insurance. I went to the local ARC, the organization that advocates for the mentally challenged and their families and talked to the Director about someone to help me with my situation. Jill was the Director. She fell in love with Evan from the start. I felt an instant connection with Jill seeing how she reacted being around Evan.

After meeting with her several times, we agreed on getting married for Evan's sake. I won't lie though. Although we were not intimate at first, she and I had a real marriage in every way. Since she was several years older than I, she determined that there might come a time where it would be best for her to leave and give me a chance to find a woman closer to my age, whether you recovered or not. The need to help her parents proved to be the time for the break. Actually, I should be on the market again in a month or so."

"James, you won't have any problems finding an interested woman. You were a wonderful husband and father." Leslie felt herself getting emotional. She changed subjects. "Now, what is in those bags? More stuff for Evan?"

"No, this stuff is for you."

Leslie looked in the bags. "The photo albums! You said you burned them! You mean bastard. Oh my Gosh! That was one thing I swore never to forgive you for doing. Damn it, I may have to like you again, but don't count on it."

They spent the next couple of hours going through the photos, laughing and crying at the various memories that were prompted by the pictures. The hug they gave each other on hearing Evan was doing fine was much deeper and longer than either had expected. Both felt that something had been rekindled that night.

James and Leslie started dating. In the next year, Leslie's mother died, and James helped Leslie and the girls settle the estate. The four of them together acted like a family again with the addition of an active young boy to help keep them on their toes. On one of their dates, James and Leslie had sex for the first time since Leslie's pregnancy with Evan. Neither had said in advance that it was time. They just both felt it was time. Before long, James was ready to do something about formalizing their relationship again.

James was scheduled to come over to pick up Leslie for what he planned to be a special date. He had taken Evan with him for a day of fun before the date and leaving him with a babysitter. Part of the day, however, was spent helping James pick out Engagement Ring 2.0. Evan fell asleep in the car soon after, so James decided to take him to Leslie's apartment early. James stopped his car short of pulling into her apartment complex as he saw a strange car in the guest spot at Leslie's carport. He got a funny feeling in his stomach as he waited and watched.

* * * * *

LESLIE

Who could it be at the door? I guess it's another kid selling a discount card. Oh well. She almost fainted when she opened the door.

"Cameron, what the hell are you doing here?"

"I'm sorry to surprise you. I was afraid you would not talk to me if you knew I was coming. Don't worry. I'm not here to cause problems. I came to apologize. It has taken me a few more women in my life before I found the one who meant to tame me. She has helped me see what a total clod I have been most of my life. I'm now on an 'Apology Tour.' You are the first and most important stop on my tour." Tears formed in his eyes. "Leslie, I was wrong to seduce you and it was completely despicable for me to desert you and our son. When James came along and saved me hundreds of thousand dollars of child support payments, I thought I had gotten away with being an asshole again. I know differently now. Leslie, besides my apology, here is a check for $100,000 for you to use on your son. Please accept it. It is an important part of my repentance."

"Cameron, you'll always be an asshole to me, but now I guess I can consider you to be a recovering asshole at least." She hugged him. "Where are my manners? Can you come in? Is your new woman outside? I would like to meet her. James and Evan should be home soon if you can stay."

"No, Emma is back at the hotel waiting on me and I doubt that James wants to see me. Also, I'm afraid I would break down upon seeing Evan. I'll just leave and wish you and your family well."

Leslie hugged and kissed him on the porch while thanking him again and saying goodbye.

James saw Cameron leaving and Leslie's hug and kiss. His imagination went wild with what he had assumed had happened before he came to her apartment unexpectedly early. Once Cameron was gone and Leslie went back inside, he drove off and said to the still sleeping Evan, "Well son, I've always wanted to take you to Disney World. We don't have anything better to do now, so we'll head there tonight. First, we'll go return the ring to the jeweler, next we'll get money from the ATM, and then I'll pick up some of our stuff at my house. We'll be on our way to Orlando in a couple of hours. It's just you and me now little buddy."

END OF PART ONE

I have an idea of how to continue this story but am willing to take suggestions from the readers under consideration.