We Almost Made It Pt. 02

Story Info
Just one big mistake.
2.9k words
4.14
59k
43

Part 2 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 03/04/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
LT225
LT225
147 Followers

Sorry everyone, I forgot to add to the bottom of the first part that there would be more parts. This is my first attempt. I also like the author to finish the story. There are some authors that I will not read their stories because they will not finish it.

As Carol was standing in the parking lot of the Hampton Inn, she realized she had been caught. She was scared and wondered if she still had a marriage? What would Mike do now? She had a sick feeling in her gut because she was fairly certain she knew exactly what was going to happen. She was brought back to her present situation when Jeff asked "who was that on the phone?"

"That was Mike, my husband" she said.

"He told me to smile for the camera" Jeff stated.

"What? This can't be happening. Help me get my car fixed so maybe I can talk to him before it gets any worse."

"What did he say to you?"

"He told me to keep the room and not to bother coming home."

"We have to get a new battery for your car. He took the old one and left that yellow pad it is place."

"How long will that take?"

"At least a few hours, Carol you have to fix this. Kathy will kick me out if she finds out about this."

*******

When I got home, I knew I had a couple of hours before Carol could get home. I had to get started with the divorce paperwork. Being a no fault state, I could file the paperwork on-line but both parties have to agree to the divorce and the settlement of property in order to keep attorneys out of it. I wasn't sure what Carol was going to do, but I wanted copies of the divorce for her to sign when she got home.

I went into the master bedroom and started moving all her things to the spare bedroom. I was not being careful with any of it just throwing most it on the bed. She could sort through it when she got home. I was hoping that she would take my advice and stay away for the night.

About that time, my tech guy called and told me that Jeff Hunt was in real estate. He owned his own brokerage. He was married to Kathy Hunt and had two preteen kids. His social media page had photos of him, his wife, and their kids. Like most idiots, he even had his home address on his posting. I thanked him for the info and asked him to print copies for me.

Then I remembered the message from Carol. When I listened to it I had to laugh. "Mike, please don't do anything. Give me a chance to explain. We can get past this. I really love only you." What is it with all the same old excuses spouted by every cheating spouse that gets caught? Did she think I was going to believe all of that bullshit? Did she think I was going to feel devastated by her cheating and feel inadequate? Did she really know me at all?

Carol stayed away from the house that night. I had dinner and a drink and went to bed. It was a restless night but I got up early to go work. I left the divorce papers sitting on the kitchen table with my signature. I knew she would come home while I was at work.

Sure enough, about mid morning, I got a call from Carol. "Are you going to divorce me before we even have a chance to talk? Why is all my stuff in the spare bedroom?"

"I thought that would be obvious by now. I am not going to discuss this over the phone. I will be there at my usual time."

I had a feeling the divorce was not going to happen without a fight. It was time to do all the usual things for a divorce. Payoff and cancel joint credit cards, take half of checking and savings accounts and open new ones in my name only. Change beneficiaries on my pension and have my paychecks direct deposit to my new accounts. We would have to work on the house and other property later.

Carol's car was in the drive when I got home. I was ready for the argument that I knew was coming. Carol was waiting on the couch. She appeared to have been crying but I could also see she was prepared for a fight. I sat in a chair across from her. Again, I was not going to start the conversation so I just stared at her.

"Mike, I want you to know that I am truly sorry for what happened. I don't know what made me do it. I love you so much and do not want to lose you. I will do anything to stay married to you."

"So, you can't tell me why you felt that you could have an affair with Jeff Hunt?"

"How do you know his name?"

"Did you forget what I do at the police department? My work is all about finding criminals and putting them in jail. They are a lot harder to find than a real estate broker with a wife and two kids. He even has his home address listed on his social media account."

"What are you going to do with that? He will be ruined if you tell his wife."

"So you care more about him and saving his marriage than you did about our marriage?"

"No, that's not what I meant."

"Exactly what did you mean?"

"I want us to work this out so no one gets hurt."

"It's too late for that. I already feel hurt and betrayed but you don't want Jeff to suffer the consequences? Seems you care more for him than you do for me but you say you want to stay married."

"Mike, I made one mistake in twenty nine years. Can we just get past this mistake and move on with our lives?"

"That is a very big mistake. Not like forgetting a birthday or anniversary. Yes, it is one mistake in twenty nine years, but how many big mistakes do you get in a marriage?"

"I think that if you really loved me, you would forgive me one mistake."

"So you think that I should over look this one mistake and give you another chance until you make another big mistake? Does that mean that you plan on doing this again when you can get away with it?"

"No."

"Then what do you mean?"

"Mike, you are twisting my words around. I will never cheat on you again if you will give me another chance. I really do love only you. I think I got caught up in all the excitement of having a younger man pursuing me and did something that I knew was wrong."

"Where did you get the burner phone?"

Immediately, I saw that I struck a nerve with that question. She hesitated and I knew she was trying to come up an answer. She sheepishly said "Jeff gave it to me."

"Why did he get you a burner?"

"So we could call and text without having anything on our cells. In case our spouses checked our phones."

"Did it ever occur to you that Jeff has done this before and found a way around getting caught?"

Carol gasped "I never thought about that."

"So, you are probably not his first affair. You're just another notch on his bed post."

I could see the anger in her eyes when she realized I was right. "Now what do you want to do about Jeff?"

"What can I do?"

"I want you to call Jeff's wife, Kathy, and tell her all the sordid details about your affair!"

"I can't do that. That will ruin their family. Their kids will suffer in a divorce."

"Like I said, this is not his first time and I'm sure it will not be his last time unless you make this right. Eventually he will get caught again and it will happen."

"I'm not sure I can do that."

"Then sign the divorce papers so we can get on with our lives."

With that, I got up to leave. I had not eaten since lunch and did not feel like cooking.

"Where are you going?" asked Carol.

"Out to eat" I replied.

"Can I come with you?"

"I don't want to be around you right now. Did you think I would come home and we would be a happy couple? By the way, did you get tested for STDs?"

"Why would you ask that?"

"You had sex with a man who is not your husband and don't think you need to get tested for STDs? I'm sure you're not his only lover. No telling what diseases he may have. Now you have two things to do before there is any hope for us. Get tested and call his wife. You will have to call his wife in front of me on a speaker phone for it to count. If you cannot accomplish those two things, just sign the papers."

"But I do not want a divorce" cried Carol as I left the house.

*******

I got home later that evening. Carol was in the spare bedroom arranging her things in the closet and dresser. When she saw me, she asked "Did you have a nice dinner"?

"Yeah, it was ok. Just some quiet time to think while getting something to eat. Did you make any decisions about our discussion?"

"Can't we work on our problem without getting other people involved?"

"I told you what I required you to do before there was any chance for us to stay married. Are you telling me that you will not do it?"

"Maybe we could get some professional help?"

"Do you really think I need counseling because you decided to have an affair?"

"No, but it would help me to have you there. At least, it might be a way for us to get back to where we were before this."

"Do you honestly believe we can ever be like we were before you became his fuck buddy?"

"I was hoping that could happen. I will do whatever it takes to make things right for you."

"We seem to be going around in circles. You're making all kinds of arguments to avoid what I want. Make up your mind by tomorrow afternoon and let me know." That being said, I went to my bedroom and went to sleep.

*******

At work the next day, I decided to check the burner phone. I had almost forgotten about it with all the excitement going on. It contained some text and voice messages. The text started with mostly where they were going to meet or have lunch, but gradually got to them sharing what they wanted to do to each other. Checking the dates on their text, I found their affair had been going on for some time. For a few weeks, it was just lunch. Then about three weeks ago, they started talking about having sex. Thinking back, I realized that was about the time Carol met me at the door and jumped my bones for afternoon sex. It was a week later, when their first text indicated they actually had sex when he told her how good she was in bed. That was her moody week.

The next week they made plans to go to the Hampton Inn for another afternoon of great sex. Well, the sex that afternoon may have been good but the consequences were terrible. Now, I had something else to ask Carol.

That afternoon when I got home, Carol was not there but arrived about her usual time. We avoided each other until we were comfortable and met in the living room.

"I went through the burner phone today. How long have you been seeing Jeff?"

"I only had sex twice with him."

"How long have you been having lunch with him?"

"I don't remember when we started meeting for lunch."

"So, you have been emotionally involved with him for a while?"

"No, it was just lunch."

"Just lunch where he would flatter you and tell you how sexy you were? Where he tried to convince you too have sex with him?"

"Why are asking all these questions? What are you trying to say?"

"That you should have realized what he was doing. He was trying to seduce a married woman and you fell for all his bullshit, hook, line and sinker! That you are emotionally involved with Jeff without considering my feelings or how I would react to your betrayal."

The pain in her eyes was priceless. She suddenly realized the full force of her actions and how hurt I was. I had to ask "what is your decision on telling his wife the truth?"

"I don't think I can do that. He has kids that will suffer if I admit our affair to his wife."

"Fine, we are through. Sign the divorce papers and we can work out the division of our property later. I think you should find another place to live."

"I'm not moving out. This house is just as much mine as it is yours. Besides, if I move out, how are we going to find a way to stay married?"

"Since the day I caught you coming out of the Hampton Inn with Jeff, have you ever heard me say that I wanted to stay married to you?"

Carol finally realized that our marriage was at an end. She started sobbing and ran to her room. I headed to the liquor cabinet for a drink.

Needless to say, things were very stressed around the house for a few days. I asked her "are you going to move out?"

"No, I spoke to an attorney and I don't have to move. I don't want a divorce and I will take you to court to prevent it."

"You know how I feel about attorneys and it will cost both of us a lot of money to take this to court. The outcome will be the same in end, so why are you doing this?"

"Because I think we would have a chance to save our marriage if you were not so stubborn".

"Fine, if you won't go, then I will find a new place to live."

*******

While at work the next day, I came up with a plan of action. I knew just what I needed to do.

Over the last 34 years, I had saved a lot of vacation and sick days that the city would have pay in a lump payment when I retired. My other option was to take the time off in lieu of the payment. I had enough time saved to still get a paycheck every two weeks for the next six months. I chose that option.

The next day at work, I put in my papers. The first part of my plan was set in motion.

I caught on to Carol's plan. She was not going to move nor would she meet any of my demands. Her plan was simple, stall as long as she could and keep living in our house. Knowing that sooner or later, we would have to interact or she would try to seduce me. She also knew of my strong dislike for lawyers. After all, I had told her difference between a lawyer and a catfish. One was a scum sucking bottom dweller and the other was a fish. Her threat to take me to court was meant to stop any legal action I might decide to take.

My only recourse was to move out. I had started moving my things a little at a time so it wouldn't be so noticeable. One afternoon she caught me using a truck I had borrowed to move some of my larger items. I wanted her to know I was leaving. To say she was surprised would be an understatement.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

"I'm moving out of the house."

"Where are you going?"

"I have found a townhouse to rent."

"Why are you doing this?"

"Because you would not move out and right now I do not want to stay in the same house with you."

"Is there any way to get you to change your mind?"

"No."

*******

"Mike really caught me off guard by moving out" thought Carol. Now, how am I going to keep him around? He had not told either of the kids of my mistake. Our friends and parents were unaware of our problem. I was hoping to keep them from finding out but what could I do since he was moving out? Should I tell Ana and Brett? Maybe enlist their help? Would they even help when they knew it was my fault?

Mike wouldn't tell me where he was going. Was our marriage really over? How stupid could I be to think I would never get caught and the real consequences of my actions? I needed to think of a new idea to keep him close.

*******

This concludes part 2. The next chapter will soon follow. I will finish the damn story....lol.

HHh

LT225
LT225
147 Followers