We Need To Talk... Again?

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Laura couldn't complete her sentence as she struggled not to break down into uncontrollable sobs.

The next morning Ryan flew back to Pueblo but was only gone two days. He sent Laura a text that he would be arriving at the house at 6pm.

She got dressed to the nines to receive him, even though he hadn't given her a clue concerning his decision. She braced herself to receive the worst news, that divorce was in her future, breathing in gasps as his truck approached.

Ryan parked the truck in the garage, and then came straight to her.

"Have you made up your mind what it is that you want? Can you be faithful to me and be satisfied?" he asked.

"Ryan, I love you with all of my heart. I can't fully explain why I asked what I did, but I know now that is not what I want. I need you. I want to bear your children. I am so sorry that I caused this. Please take me back."

"I needed to hear you say that. I want to resume our life together, but I could not tolerate sharing you. If you are really sure, absolutely positive, that you can be happy with me, and only me, then I'm ready to come home."

"Make love to me," was all she could say without breaking down into sobs, of joy, this time.

*********************************

It turned out that there were two reasons for Ryan's return trip to Pueblo. Only Glen, Jeff, and Laura knew that Ryan was flying back. Maggie had not been advised.

The first reason was to talk with Maggie about a possible future together.

The second reason concerned the activities of two of their company's workers. Ryan suspected the pair were using company equipment for private jobs instead of working on the project, costing Ryan and Glen time and money.

Ryan wanted to catch them red-handed, which he did. When he got to the work site, a Doosan excavator and a 955 CAT loader were missing.

When asked, the watchman said, "Mr. Mathis, I was told that you authorized the off-site use personally."

Ryan left after instructing the watchman to keep his mouth shut concerning the heavy equipment's unauthorized use. The two men would be videoed bringing the equipment back later that day and fired first thing the next morning. One of them was Maggie's brother.

As it turned out, Ryan being introduced to Maggie was her brother's way of keeping tabs on the boss. Ryan was fairly certain that she wasn't in on the scheme, so he felt obligated to tell her, in person, that her kid brother was getting the axe the following day, and why. He called her cell, but it went to voice mail.

Ryan's plan was to take Maggie to their favorite restaurant for dinner and ease out the bad news. He wondered how she would react to her brother's firing, and whether it would end their new relationship.

Not being able to contact her, and hungry, he decided to go to the restaurant regardless. When Ryan arrived, he noticed that Maggie was already there, having dinner with some guy. Ryan decided not to intrude, but instead observe for a few minutes. They looked very cozy, holding hands, kissing, and whispering sweet nothings to each other.

He stayed out of their view and called her phone again. He watched as she picked up her phone and declined the call, allowing it once again to go to voice mail.

He left the following message:

"I came back out to Pueblo today to make two important decisions which, I'm happy to report, have both been made. First, I've suspected your brother of using my company's equipment for his own private jobs, he'll be fired tomorrow. If you warn him, I'll dock his pay for use of the Cat and the excavator... he'll get nothing, but arrested.

"Second, my intention was to take you to our favorite spot for dinner, but I was unable to get you on the phone, and I was hungry, so I went solo. I wanted to explore what relationship we might be developing, and if divorcing my wife was something that I should consider. I can see that the gentleman that you are dating tonight might object to that plan. Thank you for making it easy for me to choose... her."

As he put away his phone, Ryan smiled to himself. He realized that he felt no pain that Maggie was not going to be a part of his life. Whatever he was feeling toward Maggie wasn't love, perhaps just a desire to make her happy. He had experienced the gut-wrenching agony of losing someone who he loved, when he had considered a divorce from Laura. Breaking off whatever he and Maggie had was more a relief than a regret.

A potential relationship with her was an obstruction to his returning to Laura. Ryan realized that he felt happy that the path to be able to return home, return to Laura, was clear.

It turned out to be a great choice. Laura became the most devoted and loving wife any man had ever had. She made it her mission to heal the scar that she had inflicted in Ryan's heart. Never again would an outside influence be able to derail her with temptation. She even asked Ryan to not use porn during their lovemaking, as the fantasy made her feel guilty, and reminded her that she nearly ruined their marriage.

Laura never gave Ryan another moment of grief, but she did give him three lovely children.

Franny decided that, since Laura was not pursuing him, she would seduce Dave. Her quick and successful seduction was also reckless, and they were caught doing the nasty on school grounds.

They were fired, and Dave was served with divorce papers. Both were forced to move away to try and find jobs, plus avoid further contempt from the community. People there didn't tolerate cheaters.

There were rumors that someone in Ryan's firm was aware of Franny and Dave's affair and had 'outed them' to the school board. Laura asked her husband if he was behind the duo's downfall, but he just smiled.

Silently, Laura thanked her lucky stars that she had been steered away from a disastrous friendship with Franny. She realized that her moral compass had needed the loving kick into gear supplied by her husband and mother. Yes, eventually she came to realize the gravity of her proposal, and how terribly it hurt her husband.

In the end she decided that, mostly, she was just fucking lucky.