Wellstone

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She did drag her feet though and arrived at the class just a minute late. She was hoping Ander would have assumed she wasn't coming and he wouldn't have set up the assigned seats again, but she was wrong. There was a single seat left open and it was in front of him. She offered the slip to the teacher then went to sit down with her eyes down. When she glanced up before sitting, he was looking away, bored. For a wonder, he did not touch her either and after class he didn't stop her when she took off.

She hurried to her room to put her hair to rights and freshen up before heading out to the arena to watch and wait. She didn't even care when Evylin and Natya came to stand next to her with their hangers on. Celeste was the only one near Poppy's size, but she was still half a head taller. Poppy tried not to notice the way the other girls towered over her as they surrounded her.

"You look very lovely this year," Ophelia said with a sweet smile. Ophelia was one of the two people in their group who had never taken part in the torture and harrassment. But she had watched and said nothing. Just like her twin Owen.

"Thank you," Poppy managed, looking out at the arena, trying to find Josepe. She finally spotted him back near one of the doorways to an equipment room. Of course Ander was with him, talking heatedly again. Josepe was standing with his arms crossed, looking up at the taller man as if he were watching a child throw a tantrum.

She didn't know what was said, but as Ander launched into what looked to be a tirade, Josepe turned and walked away. Ander clenched his teeth and glared at the man's back, then his eyes crossed the field and met hers. She knew she couldn't actually tell at this distance who he was looking at, but she knew it was her he was glowering at now.

For a moment, she considered leaving, going back to her room and just hiding. No. She wouldn't let him chase her off. She found Josepe again and smiled when she saw that he was walking up to her.

"You look quite stunning," he said with his smile and accent that made Poppy feel warm all over. I hope you are not here to cancel?"

"No! No. Umm. I came to watch."

"With your friends?" he asked, looking around at the other girls.

"No. These girls are not my friends, just classmates. My friend does not fare well in the sun, she is inside... umm... anyway. I have always come alone."

"I am glad I finally looked up then," he said with his beautiful grin. Poppy felt herself blushing and looked down as she smiled. "I suppose if I don't go get those boys in hand they will kill each other," he teased, wading back to his students.

"Oh, you aren't really going to walk out with him are you?" Celeste asked, wide eyed.

Poppy ignored her.

"You know about him, right?" Natya asked disdainfully. "I mean, you have to know. Even you. Everyone talks about him!"

"I heard last year the girl he asked to step out had to leave school after what he did to her," Ophelia whispered.

"Well Johanna did leave, and it is a certainty that her father married her rather quickly to a lesser lord. The baby apparently arrived early, but we all know what really happened. I don't know how he is still teaching here after what he has done to so many girls. Three years ago, that Mariah, you remember her? She was found curled up in the corner of the chapel, her clothes torn, crying. She named him, but couldn't be certain since he pinned her from behind. Everyone knew it was him though, even she did!" Natya replied.

"Everyone knows he is only here because he is the best trainer and Anders personal friend. Maybe not after today. I heard him tell Ben that if he put any of his... attentions to the wrong girl this year that he would see him fired and punished. Ander is distraught about it," Evylin told Celeste quietly. "He tried talking to Josepe about it, but he won't listen. He thinks Ander is just being moody."

Poppy felt sick again. They were liars! All of them! This was part of their plan! She did remember though, Johanna leaving suddenly last year. She also remembered hearing about a girl who had been harmed and had to go home for three whole weeks. Of course it had nothing to do with Josepe though! Ander told them to say all of those things! She pushed through them to move further down the fence. They followed. Slowly, as if meandering and angling for a better view, but they were still obvious about it.

Poppy was watching Josepe when Ander rode up on his horse. "Natya, your brother shows actual promise! Sorry Ophelia, your twin is still useless on horseback," he said with a laugh. "Hello Poppy," he offered.

Poppy stared hard at the first years that she could see off to her right.

"You won't even speak to me now? Show common courtesy and respond to a polite greeting? I do need to speak to you about something as soon as... where are you going? Pop?"

Poppy ignored him as she fled the arena. She went to the garden where Josepe had found her the day before and curled up to wait, alone. He would know to find her here, right? Of course he would. And she could wait in peace, without Ander or his sycophants bothering her. She pulled out her book, but spent more time fretting about what the girls had said. Of course they were lying. The seed was there now though. She couldn't imagine that sweet looking man with a smile for everyone as someone who could hurt a girl in any way. It had to be a ploy of some sort. She refused to fall for it. Josepe was a kind, gentle man.

She was so wrapped up in her dark thoughts, she actually squeaked when he showed up and said hello. "Did I frighten you?" he asked with his bright grin. "It must be a very good book for you to get so lost in it. I was hoping you would be here and you hadn't changed your mind. You haven't? Have you?"

"Oh, no!" she answered with a shaky smile, standing up. He offered his arm and she took it.

"I have arranged a small surprise for you, if that is acceptable?" he asked, putting his free hand over hers on his arms. Her heart was pounding as he led her out of the garden and onto a path.

"A surprise? What sort of surprise? In the woods?" she asked, hesitating as he turned off the path and onto a lesser game trail that went into the woods.

"Yes. Is that acceptable? You will like it I think. The surprise?"

"Umm... are you sure we should?"

"Have no fears little dove, you are in good hands," he said with his smile. He pulled her into the woods and Poppy felt nauseous all over again. He led her through the game trail, then came out to a field. Poppy knew exactly where they were! Her little house was right there! She had never cut through the woods, she had always gone around. "Isn't it a cute little place?"

"I... ummm... yes. It is."

He led her in, ducking into the door. "I think some of the students have found it, I have noticed some new things and someone has cleaned it a bit. Just through here."

He led her through the living room to the kitchen where there was a new table set up and a dinner set up. She smiled, her face burning to the tips of her ears. "This is the surprise? A... sort of picnic?"

"It is, little dove. Sit, please," he asked, pulling a chair out for her. He poured her a glass of wine, then himself before sitting down across from her. "It is not much. I had to set it up before training so it couldn't be anything hot, but you and I? Were are used to lesser things than this, aye? The fine dinners at the school cannot compete with fine company. A toast," he said, lifting his glass. "To the most lovely company I can imagine." he said, his eyes sparkling.

Poppy blushed and lifted her glass. "Umm, thank you? I think? Umm... I don't think I should drink this... I have never had wine."

"It is fine, little dove. Your classmates drink wine with their dinner every night and even after out in the gardens. A single glass will not harm you, or even two or three. And it is bad luck not to drink a toast!" He laughed as he upended his own glass, drinking all of it.

Poppy sniffed at it, then took a swallow. She grimaced at the taste and he laughed.

"It is an acquired taste. A few more drinks and then tell me about you while we dine."

Poppy sat and ate timidly. He asked her questions, talked a lot when he knew she was uncomfortable telling so much about herself and kept toasting and insisting she drink with him. At her third glass, she was feeling lightheaded and a little braver.

"It is almost dark little dove," he said standing.

"Oh! I should be getting back!"

"Of course, I will walk you. A moment though. Come through here. What do you think?"

"The... bedroom? Where did that bed come from? It wasn't here yesterday?"

"Come little dove," he said gently, pulling her to the bed. He sat down and pulled her onto the bed with him.

"I don't think I should..." she began, trying to get back up.

"Hush now," he whispered, taking hold of her arm in one hand and her face in the other. He turned her towards him and leaned in to kiss her.

Poppy had panicked for a split second, then her brain was jerked in another direction. Her first kiss! And it was Josepe! She tried to think, tried to kiss him back, but she felt awkward and another part of her was telling her there was something wrong.

He laid her back, still kissing her and she felt his hand slide up her ribs to her breast. She pulled away with a wail of horror. "Stop!" she demanded, trying to push his hand away. "Let me up!"

"Shhh," he chided, taking a fistful of her hair and turning her back to him. He kissed her roughly and his hand groped her painfully.

She screamed into his mouth and he yanked her bodice down, ripping it open. She struggled, kicking and hitting, but he just laughed as he moved her higher on the bed.

"Please stop! Please no, don't!" she begged, trying to get away from his hands. He held her down and shoved her skirts up, jerking her legs apart before moving onto her and putting his mouth on her breast. He sucked on her and bit down painfully. Poppy screamed and begged as his hands fumbled with her underclothes.

"STOP!"

Poppy let out a wail of relief as Josepe rolled off of her and turned towards the voice in the doorway.

Ander stood there, a sword in his hand looking like an avenging angel. "Get off of her, now. Back away from her. Poppy, wrap in the sheet and move back. On your knees Jo."

"It wasn't what it looked like! She was willing, we were just..."

"Be quiet. You choose that lie for the one girl in the whole school that any idiot would know it wasn't true?"

"Tell him little dove! Tell him we were..."

"Shut up Jo. You don't get to speak to her anymore. Ever. You will get up, go back to the school, pack your bags and leave. Because we were friends once, I won't kill you here and now. Had you actually raped her, you would already be dead. Go. Run. If you are there when I return, I will see you arrested. You have this small headstart. There will be an alarm raised the moment I return. Go."

Poppy was curled up in the corner of the bed, sobbing as Josepe fled. Ander moved closer, but did not touch her or even reach for her. "Are you hurt?" he asked gently. "Poppy? Can you answer me? I know you are upset right now and I do not want to make it worse. Can you walk? If you cannot, I will have to carry you. I know you do not want to be touched right now, especially not by me, but I need to know. Poppy?"

He put a knee on the edge of the bed to reach across to her. When she didn't scream or jerk away, he put a hand on her shoulder. He moved closer, sitting on the bed, then pulled her against him. She only hung limply, crying. He hugged her against him, rocking her gently and rubbing her back.

"Easy mouse, he is gone. You will never see him again. Ever. I promise. As soon as we get back, I will send men after him, you have my word. You're alright now, I have you. Easy little one, try and calm down. Are you hurt? Look at me," he whispered, lifting her chin to look at him. He thumbed her tears away and held her face. "Deep breaths little one. Calm down, deep breaths. Look at me, you're alright. You are safe. Are you hurt?"

"N-no."

"Can you walk? Or do you want me to carry you?"

"No! I just... I just..."

"No no little one, don't start crying again. Shhh. Easy. I need to get you back little one. Here," he said gently, picking her up and standing. "Hold on tight, I have you. Here wrap up. I will get you to your friend. She can help you. I'm sorry little one," he whispered as he carried her into the dark night. "I told him not to touch you. I should have watched him closer, I should have made the girls stay with you. I didn't think you would leave. I never thought you would take him to your special place, I looked everywhere! I'm just glad I found you before... Shh little one, please? He is gone now."

He spoke to her soothingly the whole way back, then carried her up to her room. Deirdra jumped up when he carried Poppy in and he set her down and turned to the taller, thicker girl. "Deirdra, right?"

"Yes highness? Is she alright?"

"I am not sure, she won't speak to me. It's just Ander here Deirdra. Look, when I found her, he was... he had already... ugh," he ran his fingers through his hair. "I stopped him before he did more but she is heartbroken and I think maybe he was rough with her. Stay with her, help her clean up and get dressed. I have to go send men after him. Poppy? Little mouse? You are here now, you are safe here with your friend. She will take care of you. I am going to go see that he pays for this. Can you look at me a moment? Are you going to be alright?" She nodded, trying to wipe her eyes and he smiled gently. "Good. Good girl. Dierdra, please let me know if she needs anything. Let any of the girls know and they will come and get me right away. Will you do that please?"

"Yes Ander, of course!"

Deirdra spent the entire night helping Poppy and hugging her to sleep. In the morning, Poppy did not want to get up or leave her room. She was heartbroken and terrified. Her mind wouldn't stop replaying what had happened. When Deirdra couldn't rouse her, she left to summon Ander.

He entered the room cautiously. "Little Mouse?" he called gently. She didn't respond, curled against the wall in her blankets. "Pop?" he asked again, sitting on the edge of her bed. He laid a hand on her arm. "Will you turn and look at me please? You are missing class. I sent men after him and the faculty knows what happened. Do you think you could eat something? I will have food brought up. Please turn and look at me little one?"

She finally turned, her face red with humiliation, her eyes rimmed red with tears. She wouldn't look at him, she just turned to face him and stared down at the bed. He thumbed her tears away.

"I am sorry little one. This is my fault. I knew what he was, I knew how he was. I thought if I demanded he not go near you... and if I kept the girls close to you that he wouldn't. I am so sorry. I should have tried harder. I should have sent him away. please forgive me?"

"His actions are not on you, Ander," she whispered hoarsely.

He jumped up and shot out the door, then returned a moment later. "I have sent for some tea and water for your throat. Is there anything I can do for you? Anything at all? Are you hungry?"

"I only want to be left alone."

"Little Mouse, you should not be alone right now. Please let me stay until your friend is out of class? I can get out of classes, she cannot. Do you think you could eat some toast? Are you feeling alright? Did he hurt you? Should I send for a nurse? Do you want to go to the infirmary?"

"I am not hungry."

"I know, but you should eat something. If I sent for some toast would you try? Little Mouse? Will you look at me please?"

She finally looked up at him, her lower lip quivering. "Thank you for finding me. For stopping him."

He stroked her hair back off of her face. "Of course, you don't have to thank me. I am sorry I didn't stop him sooner. Please don't cry any more Little Mouse? I am here and he will never hurt you again. No one will ever hurt you again. You have my word. Now try and sit up a bit. I am going to send for some toast and you will try and eat it for me," he said confidently, standing and stepping out again.

He returned with a small tray of tea and a cup. He set it down, then arranged her pillows and helped her sit up. "There now. Better? Drink this," he commanded, handing her a cup of tea. He smoothed her hair back while she sipped. He watched her turn pink, something he was so used to seeing, but never got old. "Does your throat feel better now?"

She nodded slightly, looking down at her lap. He reached up and lifted her chin with his finger and thumb. He looked at her eyes sadly.

"You have had such a horrible time here. I know you can never forgive me, but I will make it up to you whether you forgive me or not. Here, drink some more. Good girl. I really should have considered that you had never heard the talk about him. Why would you hear anything? You never spoke to anyone. I am such a blind fool."

"Stop blaming yourself. His actions were his own. Please, can we stop talking about it?" she asked sadly.

"Of course Little Mouse."

"I really don't like that name..."

He grinned. "I used to mean it in such a bad way... now. No. It's not a bad thing at all. You are small and cute and quiet. Such a perfect little creature, so delicate. It no longer means the same thing to me at all. That blush... I do adore it. Look at me Little Mouse. I will make it all up to you. Please believe that?"

"I do. I am sorry. I am tired, I hardly slept last night but now I am so tired."

"Of course, I should leave you alone and let you sleep."

"You don't have to? I... I feel safe with you close. Safe enough to finally sleep?"

His smile was pleased. "I would be glad to stay. Here," he said gently, moving one of the pillows to his lap as he moved to sit against the headboard.

She was asleep before her toast arrived, laying in his lap with his hand on her shoulder. He was more than pleased to stay with her all day, reading the book she had sitting on her nightstand. When she whimpered in her sleep and grasped around her fearfully, he took hold of her hand and she clutched it like a lifeline. He was inordinately pleased with himself as he held her against him.

When Deirdra came in after the last class, he was loathe to leave her, but he knew it would help his cause in the long run if he did.

"Little Mouse?" he said lightly, stroking her hair back. She jerked awake with a gasp and flinched away from his touch. "Easy little one, it is only me. Your friend is here. I am going to go, but I am sending food up on my way out. Deirdra, please see that she eats, she has not eaten all day. Do you think you will feel up to coming to class tomorrow?"

"I am fine now, thank you Ander. For everything. Truly."

"Of course Little Mouse. I will check on you later."

He left and Deirdra looked at Poppy wide-eyed as Poppy sat up with a scowl. "He is being very... attentive?" Deirdra said, sitting next to Poppy on her bed.

"He is. He thinks I am an idiot. I have figured it all out Deirdra. I know his game."

"You have? What is it?"

"The first day, it wasn't a ruse. He didn't recognize me. He saw something he wanted and when he discovered it was me and not some foolish girl who would fall into his bed, he began trying to bring me around. When he saw me look at Josepe... It hurts to say it, but I am sure he had Josepe do what he did. All so he could come in and save me. He paid him, or commanded him, or probably both. Now he thinks I will fall into his arms. Perhaps he only wants a conquest, but I think he wants more. I am going to play his game and I am going to win. He will be sorry he ever laid eye on me Deirdra."