Wellstone

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Are you sure Poppy? What if you are wrong?"

"I am not wrong. I did not get into Wellstone because I am stupid. He must think I am, it was such an obvious move on his part. I will win this time."

"Alright, if you are set on this, tell me what I can do," her friend said, leaning on her elbow to listen to Poppy's plan.

When Ander popped back in that night before bed, Deirdra was holding Poppy and rocking her. "Sorry Ander, I don't think she is up to company just now. She had a bad dream and she is inconsolable. I am thinking of going to the nurse and getting her something to help her sleep," Deirda said quietly.

"No," Poppy sobbed. "It's fine. He is here now... he won't let anything happen to me. Has he been caught? Is he still out there somewhere?"

"Oh Little Mouse," he cried in concern, rushing to her and pulling her into his arms. "He will be caught soon enough! And he will never come close to you ever again. I am here. I will not let anyone hurt you."

"I know," she sobbed, clutching him. "Please... could you stay just long enough to help me sleep?"

"Of course. You know I will be happy to. Deirdra? Will it be an issue for you if I stay here a bit to help her sleep?"

"No Ander, of course not. This is the calmest I have seen her all evening."

"Thank you. If I fall asleep, will you wake me? I don't want to overstep."

"If I am awake, of course."

Ander curled up next to Poppy and held her against him, smiling. "Did you eat something," he asked, rubbing her back gently.

"I will in the morning, I promise. May I... may I sit with you at breakfast?"

"Of course Little Mouse! I would love that. I will stay close all day."

"Thank you Ander. I am sorry I am so..."

"Hush. It is my pleasure. I am happy to do it. You feel so perfect in my arms Little Mouse. Am I a bad person if this makes me happy? Holding you this way? I enjoy it. I am sorry if that does make me a horrible person, but you are so perfect. I could hold you like this forever."

She did not speak, but she did press closer, hiding her face and clutching his more tightly. He fell asleep holding her against him, squeezing her every time she twitched or whimpered. She burrowed into him, snuggling close and holding onto the arms he had around her.

Morning came and he didn't want to get up. He wanted to hold her all day again.

"Sorry," Deirdra whispered. "I fell asleep."

"It's fine, sorry I fell asleep as well. I guess it was alright though, she had a lot of bad dreams. There you are Little Mouse, how do you feel?"

She looked up at him from inches away, her eyes wide. He smiled down at her end her eyes went to his lips, then snapped back to his eyes as she blushed. She hid her face quickly and he chuckled.

"I will go so you can get ready. Deirdra, can you help her?"

"Of course, always."

"Good. Join our group in the dining hall for breakfast. See you in a moment Little Mouse," he said gently, then kissed the top of her head and left.

When she came to the dining hall, she looked spooked and more frightened than usual as Deirdra led her to the back of the room to sit with Ander. He smiled down at her as all of his friends greeted her warmly.

"I am glad you joined us Little Mouse. Here, eat something for me?"

He heaped her plate full, but she only picked at her food and ate a small amount, still looking shell shocked.

"It's horrible what that man did," Evylin said leaning close to Poppy. "I am so sorry. Ander told us to stay with you, make sure Jo didn't get you alone, but when you ran off we thought you were going to your room. I hope you don't hold it against us, or him."

"No," Poppy answered, lowering her eyes. Ander took her hand beneath the table and she clutched it. "You all did warn me, I was too stubborn to listen. It is no one's fault but his. I'm just glad... someone cared enough to make sure he didn't do worse. Are you sure he is really gone? Has he been captured yet?"

"He will be caught soon Little Mouse," Ander said gently, stroking her hand. "Please try and eat just a little more? You are still so pale."

"I will try..." she said dismally, picking at her food again. "For you." She took a bite and he smiled beautifully and rubbed her back softly.

He walked her to every class, a hand on her shoulder or back. He held her close at every meal and stayed with her every evening until she fell asleep. Two more times in the next week he 'accidentally' fell asleep holding her.

Poppy actually began getting used to the routine and was able to feel less and less repulsed as the days passed. She did better in some ways, but every day that there was no news of Josepe being caught saw her more jumpy and spooked at every little movement. He was happy to keep her close and help her come out of her shell.

In the second week, he got her to laugh out loud. An unexpected laugh born of shock and joy and she immediately blushed and looked down and away. He pulled her closer and turned her to look up at him. "You have a lovely smile. It warms my heart to hear you enjoying yourself with me my Little Mouse. Never be embarrassed to laugh with me, it is thrilling to hear it."

She looked up at him, her eyes full of him and her lips parted. She took in his handsome face and let her eyes linger on his lips before swallowing hard and pulling away from his hands.

Two weeks later, he paused in the gardens while walking her to her room late at night and turned to look down at her. He bent and took her by the waist, then lifted her to stand on one of the stone benches. "What are you doing?" she asked breathlessly, holding his arms for support.

"May I kiss you, my Little Mouse?"

She looked up at him in shock and blushed, but she smiled shyly and lowered her eyes. He grinned and lifted her chin to look up at him again.

"Is that a yes? I would never presume to do something like this unless you wanted me to. May I?"

"If... if you really want to?"

He pulled her close, still smiling and bent down to kiss her. She was shocked at how gentle and sweet he was about it, brushing her lips with a chaste kiss before kissing her again, still soft and tender. He slid his hand up her back to her hair as he pulled back to look down at her. "Poppy," he whispered. "I adore you. I want to kiss you... more. May I kiss you as I wish?"

"N-now? or do you mean tomorrow? Whenever you want? I don't understand?" she said breathlessly, looking at his lips again, trembling.

"Now my Little Mouse. I want to kiss you now... more than just a small kiss, but I want your permission?"

"I feel like I have to say no if you ask? I should say no, a proper girl would... but I don't want to."

"So should I stop asking and just let you say no if I do something you don't like?" he asked with a grin.

"I think... that might work better?"

His fingers tangled in her hair as he turned her up to him and he kissed her. It wasn't soft, or chaste, it was passionate and full of need. His other hand held the small of her back, pulling her in tight against him. Minutes passed and he did not ease up, only became more passionate.

Poppy forgot her anger and rancor completely as she let herself get lost in the moment. His lips were so soft and he smelled amazing and he kissed her as she never imagined being kissed. Forcing her mouth open, he toyed with her tongue and nipped at her lower lip and sucked on it. Minutes turned into an hour and finally he pulled back, panting. Both of their lips were swollen. "Oh my sweet Poppy," he breathed, his voice choked with emotion. "My beautiful Little Mouse. Hold my hand tomorrow? Please?"

Poppy blushed again, in surprise this time. "In front of everyone? Are... you sure? I am no one Ander. No one at all."

"No Little Mouse, you are everything. All that is important in my world. Say you will hold my hand. Let me show everyone how I feel."

"If it will please you," she whispered, hiding her face.

"Will it please you?" he asked, the need in his voice making her heart hurt a little.

"I would not allow it if would not," she answered, trying to hide a smile.

He pulled her against him and kissed her again, then eased her down to the ground.

He held her hand the next day and there were whispers and shocked looks, but his friends all said how pleased they were for both of them. Four days later, Poppy went to the ladies room and was behind a curtain when she heard his friends come in. She recognized their voices immediately.

"Don't worry Evylin, you know it won't last. He is about the chase. He almost has her and once he does, he'll get bored with her. He always does!" Natya said lightly.

"I am not so sure! Do you see how she looks at him? And he has never gone so far to win someone's attention. He knew what Josepe would do and he let him so he could save her! He is catering to her every whim and you know that isn't him!" Evylin cried.

"He will get bored soon enough," Celeste said. "She was a harder conquest and it was a bigger challenge, but she's a little village troll. He could never bring her home and he knows it. He is just getting it out of his system. We all know it will be you Evylin. Don't worry over her, I am sure she won't last another week before he gets her into bed and gets bored with her. Do you think I should get a blue dress? Matthew said he thought I would look good in blue but I have always favored yellows. What do you think?"

Poppy smiled a moment, knowing they had meant for her to hear everything. They knew she was there. She managed to bring tears up before she stepped out and looked at all of them accusingly. "You are horrible awful people!" she cried, then fled.

They assumed she would go and hide and refuse to see Ander again and it would be over, but instead she went straight to him.

"Please? Please Ander, say it is not true? Tell me they were lying?" she begged, running to his arms to cry.

"What is wrong my love? What happened?" he asked urgently, going to one knee so he could hold her.

"They said... they said you knew what Josepe would do what he did so you could save me!"

He went still and she could feel the rage rise in him. "Who?" he asked quietly, his voice deceptively calm. "Who said that?"

"Evylin, Natya and Celeste! They said you were toying with me!"

"Hush my love. They were lying of course. They are jealous of you. You are succeeding where they have all failed. You have my heart and they never came close. Do not let them upset you my Little Mouse. Look at me. Tell me you don't believe them?"

"No Ander. I knew you would never do such an awful thing. The way you treat me, the way you care so much and take care of me. I knew you could never do such an awful thing. I never should have even questioned you, of course it was a lie. Please forgive me?"

"Hush my Little Mouse. Of course you did right to come to me and tell me and of course it would upset you. They are supposed to be your friends. That is the way of nobles though, they backbite and lie and talk about each other. I should have warned you. Please little love, I need to go and have a word with them. I will meet you in class?"

Poppy was not surprised when he showed up late to class but none of them showed up at all. He looked furious, but he smiled at her as he passed and sat down behind her. He put a loving hand on her shoulder and stroked her neck with his thumb.

Another week passed, then another. He kissed her goodnight every night, held her hand every day and every day she grew closer and closer to him. He never tried for more than a kiss and that told her something about how he felt. She let him draw her out, let him make her laugh. She allowed a tentative peace with the other girls, but made it clear she did not trust them.

A month passed, then two. Mid winter came and they spent their evenings indoors instead of in the garden. There was a common room in the dorm that housed the elites. It was a very nice room, very cozy and even had a servant standing by. Ander taught her to play cards and the other games they all played of an evening.

Late winter came and they were all laughing and joking about a drawing game where you had to guess what the drawing was. Poppy had just dropped the chalk as her turn ended and started back to her seat, still laughing when Ander caught her hand and pulled her into his lap. Her breath caught as he grinned down at her. She looked back up at him and wondered if this was it. This would be the night. If he was tired of her, toying with her, he would try for more. If he did not, he was well and truly hooked.

He touched her face as her smile faded and stared dawn at her, his face full of wonder. Poppy felt her heart beating hard in her chest, hating the effect his touch had on her. Goosebumps popped up on her arms and she went warm all over as the rest of the room ceased to exist. They stared into each others eyes and got lost.

He licked his lips and took a breath suddenly, sitting up a little straighter. "Poppy?"

"Yes Ander?"

"I... I need you to know something... I am hopelessly in love with you. I need to ask you now so you have plenty of time to think it over before school ends. Come back to the capital with me. Be my wife."

The room went dead silent and Poppy's jaw dropped. "What? Are you toying with me? You can't Ander! I am not..."

"Hush. You are. You are everything. And you are going to be a graduate of Wellstone. That makes you eligible. And even if it didn't... it's you I want Poppy. Please say yes? Tell me you feel for me as I feel for you?"

Poppy blushed and she could feel a dozen very tense sets of eyes on her. He was breaking ten different traditions and unwritten laws just by asking. "I do feel for you Ander. May I think on it? I do not want to make your life a hardship with my... background."

"Of course you may think on it my Little Mouse, but please don't let your lack of title sway your decision. I will make you a queen. I will even go to your home and ask your father for permission. Is that how it is done in your village?"

"It is... I will think on it Ander. Umm. I think I will go to bed early tonight," she whispered, glancing around the room at the shocked and upset faces. She scrambled up and he let her go reluctantly.

"I will walk you..."

"It's fine, I need a bit of air. Stay and I will see you in the morning." She bent and hurriedly kissed his cheek, then fled.

The moment she closed the door, she heard raised voices, all of them asking if he was crazy, was he sure he knew what he was doing. On and on. Finally, the onslaught eased and she could barely hear his reply. "I love her. She is so... different. And she needs me as much as I need her. I know none of you understand, but my heart... when I look at her, when I hold her. I need her."

"An, if she finds out what he did..." one of his friends began.

"She won't. And if any of you mention it again, you will be done."

Poppy slipped away, hurrying to her room. She hadn't been able to spend much time with Deirdra, but tonight she sat on her friend's bed as her friend lowered her book. "How is everything going?"

"It happened. He said he loved me... and he asked me to marry him too."

"He did what?!? You only wanted him to fall in love with you! Wow Pop, that is... insane! He wants to MARRY you! Are you positive you want to go through with this? You could be a princess? A queen someday."

"I don't want to be a queen, I want to be happy. And I want payback. Payback for the years and the childhood he took from me. And for what he made Josepe do to me. He is a monster Deirdra. I could never care for a man like that, even if..." she trailed off, blushing.

"If what?" Deirdra asked softly.

"Even if it does feel nice when he kisses me. And his touch makes me warm. All I have to do is remember who he really is and it doesn't matter. Anyway, this will be even better than I hoped."

Eleven days later, Poppy quietly said yes and there was a huge celebration and announcement. Of course that brought people flocking to the academy, namely his parents and an entourage and her father.

Ander was cloistered with his parents for an entire day before finally coming out after dark and finding her. He smiled and pulled her to meet his parents. His father smiled at her but his mother seemed a little cold and reserved. When her own father arrived, he was ecstatic to meet Ander and talk to him and get to know him. Ander was nice to him, laughing and talking to him like he would another noble and not like her father was a lesser man.

With the influx of visitors, Poppy found it hard to keep up with her schoolwork, losing sleep. Finally, she had to tell Ander that she would have to forgo meeting new nobles and wellwishers until after school was out.

She was not surprised at all when he announced they were to be wed right after the graduation ceremony almost as soon as they got back to his home. A tailor was sent to her to see to her dress, but the rest of it was left in his mother's hands.

Poppy didn't actually care about all of the details. She focused on her schooling, gave Ander all of her extra time and acting like a besotted girl with her eyes full of him.

When graduation did finally come, Deirdra asked her again. "Are you sure Poppy? He adores you. One look and anyone can see how much he loves you."

"Which will make this all the sweeter," Poppy said with a smile, but her heart wasn't in it. She was actually starting to have second thoughts. No, she told herself. Despite how wonderful he was now, he had still done all of those horrible things.

She rode with her father to the capital in a carriage provided by the school.

"Pop?" her father asked softly. "You don't seem very happy?"

"I am papa. And you are happy, right? You wanted me to find a powerful man, a rich man. Didn't I do as you wanted?"

"Pop, don't be so hard on me. You are so smart, I wanted more for you than what you could get in our little village. You were destined for this life."

"Of course papa. It will all be worth it soon."

Once they arrived, everything was a huge rush. Poppy was hardly able to sleep and everyone wanted her time. She only saw Ander twice and she had to quickly pull him aside.

"Ander? I know there is a ceremony and words that must be said, but I had some of my own vows I wished to recite as well. Can we do that?"

"Of course my love, I will let them know. I love that you have vows for me, I will try to do you justice with some of my own." He kissed her, then was pulled away and she was pulled the other.

The day came and it was such a flurry of excitement, she found herself in the huge throne room being walked down the long rug strewn with flower petals all too soon. As soon as she saw him up there, smiling at her and on the verge of tears, her heart wrenched. She hardened her resolve, squeezing her father's arm as she forced herself to smile back.

Her father handed her hand over to Ander and he took them both, pulling her closer than was customary. "You look so beautiful my Little Mouse," he whispered.

She managed to smile up at him before dropping her eyes and waiting for the officiant to allow them to speak. Of course, Ander went first and he spoke a flowery prose about his undying love for his Little Mouse.

Poppy cleared her throat. "Little mouse," she said loudly, clearly. "That was the nickname you gave me the first day we met on our first day at Wellstone. The day before you hit me the first time."

Anders' smile dropped and his mouth opened in confusion. She pulled her hands away and stepped back.

"You spent those first years literally torturing me. You and your friends hurt me, burned me, cut my hair, whipped me, called me every name imaginable and made my life miserable. I found no peace until my mother died and I was allowed to stay home. Then the war came. More peace. When we returned this year, you did not recognize me. You saw a woman that piqued your interest. I scorned you and rebuked you, but you persisted. You paid a man to pretend to rape me so that you could save me. You went so far as..."