Wellstone

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She yelped and ducked into the water as four guards poured in, followed by his mother, the queen.

"Ander? Are you well?" she demanded, looking supremely confused.

"Fine!" he answered, flustered as he tried to shield Poppy. "What are you doing?"

"You would not answer the door! The servants thought... they thought the worst. It is two in the afternoon Ander! You did not think to let us know you weren't killed by this..."

"Mother! No. I slept late... we slept late. Please, step out so we can dress."

They left and Poppy pressed into his neck, giggling uncontrollably. It was contagious, he laughed with her and held her against him.

"I guess I should have woken you after all," she said finally, settling down. "Do you think they are out there waiting or did they leave?"

"I am sure they are out there waiting."

"Oh," she said, her voice full of disappointment.

His eyebrows climbed as he looked down at her. He laughed then, a laugh born of shock and her naivete. Her unabashed innocence in what she wanted. Unless this was an act. Still. His humor drained, but he still rubbed her back and kissed the top of her head. He would play along, but not let her in.

They climbed out and he helped her dry off and dress before dressing himself. She pretended to try and help him, but she hindered much more than she helped. Holding his shirt up to plant kisses on his ribs and back. Holding the ties on his pants hostage as she demanded more kisses. He was enjoying the game so much that he had forgotten about anything but her. Right up until there was a loud knock on the door. She sprang back as if burned, then fell into him, giggling again.

He was grinning as he finished dressing, his heart lighter than it had been for days. He knew he should let himself hope, it would only lead to disappointment. She slipped her hand into his before they went out to the sitting room. He held her tight, giving her a reassuring squeeze.

His mother was pacing, her cheeks suffused pink in anger. "Ander! Are you truly well?"

"Yes mother, of course. We were just... getting to know each other a bit. I am sorry I worried you, I didn't realize I needed sleep the way I did."

"You were NOT sleeping, Ander," she said angrily.

"No," Poppy said quickly. "We were spending time together as newlyweds. It is normal, is it not? Where I am from, newlyweds are allowed time together before their duties begin. Their... mothers don't break in on them to interrupt," Poppy said, her own cheeks coloring in anger.

"MOST men don't have snakes for wives," she snapped back.

"Most couples do not have the issues we have had going into this, but we are trying to work through them in our own way."

"I won't let you hurt him again, you are destroying him! Breaking his spirit!"

"I have no intention to," Poppy answered softly. "He has suffered enough for what he has done and now I will atone for what I have done. That is between he and I though. I am sorry if you were worried, but he told you there was no need. Beyond that is none of your business."

"You do not get to speak to me about what is my business when it comes to my son! Not after what you have done to him!"

"That is enough," Ander said gently. "Is there something you need, mother? If not, I would like some time alone to speak with my wife."

"Your duties, Ander..."

"My duties can wait until another time," Ander interrupted. "Exceptions can be made. I buried myself in work for a reason. I wish today... and perhaps tomorrow for myself and Poppy."

"I do not trust her!"

"You don't need to," Ander said softly. "Leave her to me. I will be at dinner later."

"Without her," his mother snapped.

"We will see," Ander said.

The woman left in a huff and Poppy scowled at her back.

"You can't blame her for being... cautious," Ander said quietly.

Poppy turned to him, looking up, fire in her eyes. "Perhaps I thought there would be more understanding for my position. I should have known it wouldn't matter what you had done, all that mattered was that I hurt her precious son!"

Ander recoiled and Poppy sighed.

"I am not upset at you, Ander," she said softly, going to him and laying her head against his ribs. He put his hands on her shoulders tentatively. "I should not let my temper get the better of me. It is frustrating though, when no one even tries to understand my position. They all just justify it. I suppose it speaks of your current character that you have so many people who are loyal to you."

His hands tightened slightly as if he were allowing himself to accept her affection. She sighed again.

"What did you want to speak to me about?" she asked quietly.

He went down on one knee so he could look at her eye to eye. "Look at me Poppy," he said softly. She lifted her eyes to his sadly. "Are you being genuine? Is this another ruse to hurt me?"

"It will not matter if I say no," she answered. "You will not trust that I am being honest. I will simply have to prove it."

"Look at me and tell me truthfully. Is it a trick? More payback?"

"No Ander. I am done with that. You have been hurt enough... and if you truly did not make Josepe do... what he did, then perhaps I went too far. You did make life horrible for me once, but I held on to the anger for too long. You grew and I did not. You are so sweet and gentle now... and I punished you for what you were as a child. It is not a trick. You were right when you said I had feelings despite myself. I can no longer bear to see you so... broken. I hate myself for doing that to you."

He nodded slightly, then pulled her against him. "I believe you my Little Mouse," he whispered.

She pulled back to look at him again. "But I am not that girl you have known this past year. Not at all. It WAS all an act. You may not like the real me, but I will not live my life in a role meant to ultimately hurt you."

He smiled slightly. "I am thinking the real you has a temper and a sharp little tongue. Like the girl I met the first day of school. So clever and fiery and adorable even then. I really hated that you didn't fall over yourself fawning over me like all the other girls did. Then I liked it. You were this tiny, skinny little venomous mouse.

It was refreshing in its own way, I think it was you who helped me grow the way I did. Making me realize that it was not a requirement for everyone to fall at my feet and cater to my ego. It didn't make them a bad person. What was wrong was that I expected everyone to respect me before I had earned it. It was a hard lesson to learn and it took me far too long to learn it, but I have you to thank for it.

I am sorry, for what it is worth, that I was such a horrible, insufferable brat. And I am sorry I let the others take it so far. That was all on me, I could have stopped it any time and I did not. They did it to impress me and I let them. Not because I wanted to see you hurt, but because I wanted them to do my bidding. It never occurred to me that you were being hurt so badly and that was another lesson that hit me hard. Realizing how my actions, my decisions, affected other people.

By the time I figured it out, you had left. For the year at least. By the time I saw you again, your hate for me was so ingrained... It actually defined you. That is what has been killing me the most. That I hurt anyone so badly that they made it their mission to see me pay. I hope that..."

"Stop," she said quickly, breathlessly. "Don't apologize again. Please. If we can move on from this then I wish to. I want... Can we have a real ceremony? With my father and close friends? A true ceremony? Not something huge, but something for us? A fresh start? A real start? I mean... if you still want to after you find out who the real me is?"

He smiled, a genuine, beautiful smile. "I would love that Little Mouse. And I think I know the real you. I have always admired the real you, even if it did frustrate me back then. You were so... strong and... volatile. You said what you meant, what was right, no matter what might happen to you. I think I loved you even then and that was why I was so upset that you hated me so much."

"Anyway. We have time. You have my word, no more acting, no more games, no more payback. We come to know each other, our true selves and then we have a small ceremony for us. So we can start fresh for each other."

He nodded, but smiled slightly. "We are actually already married though, so... sharing a bed won't have to wait, right?"

She blushed and dropped her eyes, smiling. "It's not like that ship hasn't already sailed... I don't see why we can't... come to know each other that way as well." She was so embarrassed, she hid her face in his neck as he chuckled and held her close.

He kissed her temple and closed his eyes, his heart full. "I don't want to wait, I need all I need to know," he whispered. "Your father is still here, I want to do this in the morning, first thing."

She pulled back and looked up at him. "He is still here?!?"

"Yes," he said blushing. "He has wanted to speak to you, but my parents forbade it. He is waiting until he can see you and speak to you."

"I... see. Would it be possible to see him?"

"Of course. If you would join me for dinner, I will make sure the invitation is extended to him as well."

"Your mother does not want me there."

He grinned, his eyes shining. "I doubt you will let that stop you."

"No. But I do not want you to be put in an awkward position."

His smile faded as he looked down at her. "Thank you," he whispered and she could see his eyes redden a little as tears threatened.

She was confused. What had she said? Why was he upset? She felt a panic rising up. "No!" she cried fearfully. "Don't be upset!" She hugged him against her tightly.

"No Little Mouse. I am just happy. You... I can't explain it. It just feels good to feel like you really do care about me. About what might hurt me or make me uncomfortable. No. Little Mouse, please come to dinner with me? I will send word now to your father if you say yes?"

"Of course I will if it is what you wish. How much time do we have to get ready?"

"Maybe two hours? More than enough time?"

"Enough time to finish what we started?" she asked, spots of color forming on her cheeks.

He grinned and leaned in to kiss her. "I think we may have time for that. I will send word to your father, you go and get into bed."