All Comments on 'Westrons Pt. 22'

by AspernEssling

Sort by:
  • 14 Comments
Comentarista82Comentarista82over 4 years ago
It's sweet

reading about Isa(al) and Cook, once he indeed gets his head on straight. I enjoy their interactions, Koroba's plodding and especially Tudino punching him in the arm to get him to realize what he should do. Tallia's very wonderful about it too. While I rated this 5, it felt kind of anti-climactic how it ended for this chapter. Sometimes there's no perfect way...but this one truly felt odd.

I was very glad to see this installment up. I was just hoping it would have been a 3-pager.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
drama

Perhaps a little to much drama. Most of us are rapt readers of you military history and tactical machinations and perhaps some of the strategical thinking (although not much of the latter). But still good stuff.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Not much "Character Growth", not a lot of plot...

Personally I would find it funny if, after all this training and cost, that a volcano takes out the Crolian's king.

Crusader235Crusader235over 4 years ago
Lucky

Lucky Cook, gets to fuck all the girls, and the girls like sharing him! Now as to the Crolians, why doesn't he attack them in the winter, it worked for Washington. Fast, hit'em hard on their forward supply depots would sure set them back, and get more needed supplies for the Westrons. Just my thoughts. Another great short chapter.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Eh

Not my thing.

AspernEsslingAspernEsslingover 4 years agoAuthor
I should've seen this coming

I had to look up SJW to find out what it meant.

I wrote about Westron females as rulers, soldiers, bodyguards ... nobody seemed to have a problem with a female-dominated society.

I warned up front - before Chapter 3 - that my influences for this story were Piper and Leguin. Leguin's story 'The Left Hand of Darkness' was written in 1969.

Isa isn't a 'tranny'. She's a Penchen. The point is that Cook liked her before he knew whether she was male or female.

When I was a student (a long time ago), I read a book that I thought was great. I was surprised to find that the author (who used only initials - not their first name) was female. Would I have taken her as seriously if I'd known in advance that she was a woman? To tell you the truth, I'm still not sure.

That's all. No other propaganda.

If that makes me a SJW, that's fine.

Sheesh.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago

So funny to see the bigots come crawling out of the woodwork in the comments. It makes me enjoy this chapter even more!

Keep up the great writing AspernEssling!!

AukweirdAukweirdover 4 years ago
It's your story

It's your story, write it your way!

I've been reading SF since the mid 1950's, and I always enjoy the new thought. I remember reading TLHoD when it first came out, it opened my mind to new ideas way beyond what UKL was writing in that book.

Keep it coming, I know I'll enjoy it, you can't do it wrong.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Wondering about the long view of this story

I've been enjoying this story, and I even like (as a change of pace from other authors) the frequent short installments. And I liked it enough to look at your other stories, started enjoying them as well. Quality work. And this isn't a "but..." comment, I just thought I should state that, you should be thanked for your work.

This isn't really about _this_ chapter, I'm just finding the time to make the comment. It's possible that this ends up being just a sexed-up "Yankee in King Arthur's Court" but with aliens with odd sexual physiology. I'd actually find that a little disappointing, although I'd still enjoy it.

The setup for getting Cook to this world was a bit more convoluted than it needed to be if it was just that. If the Terran military brass just wanted to kill him, there would be _way_ simpler and cheaper ways than a dedicated multi-year transport and carefully getting him in position to get to Westron but abandoned on his own. They had some diplomatic/ study mission there, now abandoned - but enough on-world resources still active (and in communication) to get him on a boat from the spaceship landing to Westron.

Makes me think they wanted to get a military strategy expert there but fully embedded and committed. What's the goal of Terran command here? And Kanitz, his sponser/handler. She's also a hybrid. Hmmm. Who's her daddy? What's her story, how does she become the royal counselor?

Did the Terrans also have an embassy among the Crolians? Is it still active?

I think this would end up being a more interesting story if there were something like that going on, somehow having Terran interests get re-involved. But other than the excessively complex setup, the author isn't dropping many hints. And maybe I'm wildly wrong. Just thought I'd share my musings.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Another great chapter

These can't come fast enough. Thank you for writing such a good story. And I can smell the battle scenes coming within a chapter or two, so I'm excited to see what you have in store for us!

JohnSpiritWolfJohnSpiritWolfabout 4 years ago
Little suggestion for you...

You talk about these little 3Lb Cannons. Instead of firing Cannon Balls out of them, why not use "Grape Shot"??? Grape Shot would be perfect out of them and extremely devastating against a lined up enemy like the Croleans. :) Either lead grape shot, broken up glass, nails, there is a whole lot of different things that could be used. If you're not familiar with grape shot it is small round pieces of lead around the size of a grape.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Until this point the story has been a good work of fiction. However, with this latest addition to the main characters list of lovers you have stretched the character beyond the suspension of disbelief. Him having a lover that can change isnt the issue it's the totality of the straying beyond human behavior that makes it unreasonable. Whoring himself to any woman who wants, needs, or employs him was still fictional but now he is far too pliable to be believable.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Can we get back to the war???

Comentarista82Comentarista8221 days ago

I know I've said it before, but I love how Isa and Cook interact and discuss, as it's not "mad sex" with them and she has the same keen intellect she had before her change. I find it odd how comments I never saw at the time (4 years ago) in some ways griped because of a Penchen changing for Cook. It was a different idea to get used to, but the novelty of it is she changed to a definite sex, and I don't see why anyone should think otherwise; it's just a different way of looking at it, although Cook was the "slowest guy in the room" and needed Tudino punching him in the arm in part to convince him. LOVE TUDINO!! You know what? I just realized Tudino was partly copied into Payl, although Payl was far more direct and serious.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userAspernEssling@AspernEssling
Still writing. More to come. For those who are interested: you may have noticed that I mention music fairly often. That's because I tend to listen to music while I write, so that certain artists/albums become associated with certain stories. Here are some of the connections. G...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

Westrons Pt. 21 Previous Part
Westrons Series Info