What's an Alpha to Do?

Story Info
Dominic finds his mate on his birthday.
3.6k words
4.33
15.2k
14
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

What's An Alpha To Do?

A/N: No spice until both main characters are 18.

Chapter 1

I am so excited. Tomorrow is my 16th birthday, the day I can finally start looking for my mate. I have not been this excited since I shifted for the first time and met my wolf Vardor. Vardor was a bit rough around the edges if you asked me, but as the future Alpha of the Crimson Fang Pack I hoped those edges would help be become a great Alpha.

I sent a mind-link to my best friend and future Beta, Lochlan.

Hey Loc, you still up man?

Dom, dude, do you have any idea what time it is? Came the sleepy reply. I was having the best dream about a hot red head on the beach.

Sorry man! I'm just too pumped to sleep.

Do it anyway dude! Let me get back to my red head. Lochlan ended the mind-link.

I decided to do what I could to help myself calm down. I walked into my bathroom and took a nice long hot shower. Afterwards I laid down on my bed and tried to relax enough to at least take a nap.

I managed to get 2 hours of sleep that night.

The next day the pack house was well... packed. All sorts of people were running all over the place trying to set up for the party tonight. There were people prepping and cooking food all over the kitchen, other pack members had volunteered to help set up the decorations, even my dad, the current Alpha, Santiago Silverlock, was manning the grill. The party tonight was obviously for my birthday, but the whole pack was coming this year so that I could start looking for my mate.

Grabbing my best friends Lochlan, Braxton, and Killian we all went up to my room to play the new Batman: Arkham Asylum on my PS3 until the party started.

A few hours later mom mind-linked me to let him know that everyone had arrived and was waiting for us.

"Alright guys... that was mom. We have officially been summoned."

"Damn I was still huntin' Joker" complained Killian.

"Too bad... Lets go... Our fearless leader has to go find out if his mate is in our pack or if he will spend the summer traveling to other packs." Loc said with a smirk on his face.

As soon as we stepped outside I smelled it. Lavender and fresh rain... it was greatest thing I had ever smelled. Vardor became alert, Mate. I smell mate. Find mate. Find them now.

Calm down Vardor, we have to go see dad first and then we can look for them. Okay?

You have five minutes before I hunt them down myself.

Okay five minutes. Just let me talk to dad... I walked up to my father still manning the grill.

"Hey dad. I don't have long before Vardor takes control, but I wanted to tell you that I smell them and now I am headed out to look for them."

"You found your mate in our pack? That's wonderful news!" Mom squeals.

"I understand... go ahead and start the search we will hold off announcing anything until we know more."

"Thanks dad, I appreciate it." I walk away from my parents to follow my nose. The smell seemed to be everywhere, almost like the owner was running all over the place. I weaved in and out of groups standing around the yard talking. They would all try to drag me into whatever conversations they were having, but I was focused on tracking the scent. I lapped the yard twice and still could not find the owner of the scent when I felt something crash into the back of my legs as I was hit by the strongest whiff of lavender and rain. I looked down to see a small child looking up at me from where he fell down after his crash. He was the most beautiful child with the brightest sapphire blue eyes and the deepest raven hair Dom have ever seen. But as I stood there looking at this child his eyes started to tear up. I quickly got down on one knee to get closer to the child.

"Hello. Did you get hurt when you fell?"

"Yeah, I wanded on my butt."

Adorable, I thought and Vardor agreed. "Would you like help up? Would you like me to pick you up?"

"Yes, pwease. Then I can be tall. Just don' dwop me otay?"

"Oh little one, you will never have to worry about that. I would never drop you." I scooped up the child as I made to stand up.

"Whoa! I super tall now!" he giggled.

"What is your name, Little one?"

"Cyrus. What 'bout you?"

"My name is Dominic."

"Domnic?"

"No, little one, Dominic, but you can call me anything you want."

"Nicky!"

"Nicky is fine. May I call you Cy?"

"Yeah!"

"Cy, would you like to be my friend?"

"You friend? Me? Yeah!"

" Thank you, Little one. Cy, may I have a hug and smell you?"

"You wanna smell me? But mommy made me take a bath."

"That's okay. I just want to check something with your scent."

"Well... Otay, cause I wanna hug too, 'cause hugs make ouchies better."

I chuckle at the child's innocence and give him a big hug. I buried my face in his neck to take in the boys scent. MATE! Vardor exclaims. I grinned, we had found him. Pulling back from the child to take a good look at him, and was floored by just how pretty a child he was. Not in a weird way, he was just pretty. "Is it all better little one?"

"Yeah, it better now. Did I smell otay?"

"I am glad it's better, and you smell great. Where are your parents? I would love to say hello."

"Umm..." he looks around the yard for a little bit. Finally pointing at my parents talking to a young couple that I did not recognize. "There!"

We started walking towards the group. My father noticed us first eyeing me carrying a child. My mother sees us next and greets us with a large smile.

"Mommy! Daddy! Look how tall I am" The couple turn to see their son in the arms of a very large teenager.

The woman looks up at the boy, "Oh my goodness baby you sure are tall."

" Ahh, James and Sarah, this is my son and heir Dominic. Dominic this is James and Sarah Auclair and it looks like you have already met their 5 year old son Cyrus. They are new pack members from the Night Frost Pack," my father says carefully introducing me to a man that seemed to be in his mid-20's and his very pregnant mate.

"Hello, nice to meet you both, I'm Dominic," I held out the hand that I had on Cyrus's back to shake theirs. After introductions are made Sarah reaches out to take Cyrus from my arms, but the boy holds tighter to my neck and I unintentionally let out a small growl. Sarah pulled back confused for a moment, her hands immediately going to her enlarged stomach in a protective gesture.

"Son," the Alpha warns.

"Dominic Hayden Silverlock! You know better than to growl at a mother when it comes to her pup," my mother chastises me.

I bow his head slightly to the woman, but not quite enough to be mistaken as submission, "My apologies, ma'am."

The boy looks at his mother, "Nicky's my new bestest friend, mommy. He makes me tall."

"I see that baby, but your a big boy. You don't need him to keep holding you, and I am sure he does not want you in his arms all night." He looked at me a little worried.

"I could hold you all night, and never get tired." That answer seemed to make the boy happy because he snuggled closer into my chest. I looked at his mother, who seemed about to say something, "I really don't mind holding him. It is my pleasure to be able to give him comfort or anything else my mate may need."

"Mate!?" Both his parents say looking at the teen in surprise.

"Yes, ma'am," he leaned down to get another sniff of the boy, "He is my mate, and I hope you will allow me to be there for him. As is customary when a mate is found this early, I will be whatever he needs. A roll model, protector, champion, friend, confidant, supporter, and when he is old enough and ready I will be his mate."

An odd look passed between the mates. James looked to my father, and after receiving a nod from him, gave his mate a resigned look. They should know that their son would have a devoted protector and friend growing up. With agreement from his parents Cyrus spent the rest of the night in my arms and I could not have been happier. It was the best birthday ever. He even helped me blow out the candles on my cake.

Towards the end of the party came the night run. I told Cyrus' parents to go enjoy the run with their new pack to get to know them and that I would watch Cyrus. They thanked me for giving them the chance to run together as usually one would stay behind to watch their pup. I sat down in one of the lawn chairs with the boy in my lap and just listened to him ramble on about anything, everything, and nothing. Both Vardor and I were content to just listen to his voice. James and Sarah came back early from the run to find their child asleep on my chest. I carried the child for them to their car. His mom showed me how to load the boy in his car seat and buckle him in. Sarah gave the teen a big hug afterwards and said she was glad that her sons mate was such a good boy. James gave his hand a shake before seeing his mate into the car.

I could feel my heart go with my little mate as they drove away. As soon as they were out of sight I walked to the back yard again stripped my clothes off and invited Vardor to come forward. Allowing the shift to come Vardor landed on all four paws and took off running for the woods behind the pack house. It did not take long to track down my friends and run with them. After hunting a deer and sharing it among ourselves we decided to take a rest in a clearing.

Well? Was that them? Loc asks in our group link.

Yeah, that was him. His name is Cyrus, and he is the cutest thing ever. I replied. I think I am going to try to go see him tomorrow.

I don't recognize him from our little brothers friends. Brax cocked his head in question.

The family just transferred packs. They came from Night Frost.

Night Frost? The tyrant' s pack? How did they end up here? Killian made an identical gesture to his twin.

I don't know... that is just what dad said.

Loc shifts to face the group more. So, tell us more.

I told them everything that I knew about the newest pack members so far from the conversation I had with the young child while his parents were on their run. The group of teens were excited for their friend because I was able to find my mate so fast. After the break we ran back to the pack house and got dressed and headed back to my room to play video games since they were all spending the night.

The next morning I got up really early, took a shower, dressed, and ran down for breakfast before any of the guys woke up. Today's breakfast was bacon, sausage, French toast, pancakes, pork chops, biscuits, homemade white gravy, grits, oatmeal and eggs. I loved Sunday breakfast. I wondered what Cyrus was having for breakfast. Maybe I could ask him what his favorite breakfast food was when I saw my little mate later.

The guys start to trickle in as I sit to eat my breakfast. Loc punches my shoulder, "Thanks for the wake up call, dude."

"Sorry man... I got to hurry if I want to catch him at breakfast. I was thinking I would ask his mom if I could take him to the park... You know the one with the huge play set and jungle gym that we used to love going to at that age."

"Ah man, it's been one day and he is already whipped... God help him for the 13 years." joked Killian.

"Wait... what 13 years?" I asked, confused by the other boys math. He would be able to recognize me as his mate when he turned 16 that was only eleven years.

"You can't mate and mark him until he is 18, Genius." Brax chuckled.

"Crap. I forgot that part," I say smacking my forehead. All the guys had a laugh at their friend. Once I had devoured 3 plates of food (not unusual for a growing teenage werewolf, but still less than what he would have eaten if he was not in a hurry) he packed a picnic basket for 4 people and ran to ask Father where the new family lived. With the information in hand I got in his truck and drove to town. I pulled up to their house and parked beside the family vehicle. James answered my knock on the front door.

"Alpha."

"Oh no, sir, you don't have to call me that. My father is the Alpha, not me. Please call me Dom."

He looked a little surprised at my words. "Okay, Dom, what can we do for you? I was not even aware you knew where we lived."

"I asked my dad, and he told me. I came to see if I could take you all to a park that I think Cyrus will love and I packed a picnic for all of us."

"All of us?"

"Yes, sir. Cyrus is my mate and seeing as we just met last night I did not know if you would feel comfortable with me asking to take Cyrus somewhere without inviting you guys as well. Then there is that fact that having just met him last night as well he may not be comfortable going somewhere without you guys too. I was hoping we could get to know each other a little better today, too. Also maybe on the way home we can go to the store and find a car seat for Cyrus for my truck. That way when you do feel comfortable with me asking I will be prepared. I'm sorry, sir, I am a bit nervous and seem to be rambling."

He laughed, "Yeah, you will fit right in. Come on." He stepped back to allow me to enter the house. As I walked passed him we could hear the most wonderful giggles. I froze and it instantly put a smile on my face.

"Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!" As the little boy came around the corner he looks up, "NICKY!!!" he hollers now running at me instead of his father. Arms raised in the air he demands, "Up! Up!"

I reach down to pick him up. "As you command, little one."

"Geez, less that 12 hours and he already forgets all about me," James protested from behind the pair.

My young mate looked over at his father. "Don't be sad Daddy, him jus bigger."

"Yeah, son, he is definitely bigger than Daddy."

I looked down at my mate, "Have you had breakfast yet?"

"No. Oh, yeah! Daddy, I was comin' to get you. Mommy said it was weddy."

We follow James through the front hall to the dining room where Sarah is setting the table for 4.

"Dom, that's such a lovely idea, I love it. I am so glad you thought of what we would be comfortable with as well as what would make Cyrus the most comfortable," guessing James linked Sarah about their conversation before we came in, I nodded at the woman. Everyone sat down to eat breakfast; conversation flowed easily as we got to know each other. Breakfast was a simple meal of pancakes and bacon, but it was great. Sarah was a really good cook. Finishing the meal I offered to help clean to make it go faster. Once everything was done we loaded up in our respective vehicles and the family followed me in my truck to the park. Getting out I grabbed the large picnic blanket and basket from the backseat of the truck, and the family followed me to the giant playground where kids similar in age to Cyrus were already playing. Cyrus looked so excited to see the playground and was in a rush to run off to play.

"Be careful sweetie." Sarah hollers to her son as he runs off.

"This is a nice little park. We have not had a chance to really explore town yet." remarked James.

"Yeah it is. Our mom's used to bring me and my friends here when we were little. I was thinking last night about what we could do that Cyrus would have fun and this place was the first thing to come to mind."

"Well it's lovely dear, thank you for showing us this place. I'm sure that Cyrus will have a blast." Sarah smiled.

James and I set up the blanket and we all sat down on the ground. Sarah leaning on her mate with a hand over his as he reached his arm around his mate to place his hand on her swollen belly. My eyes would often search out my little mate to make sure he was safe. While we watched Cyrus on the monkey bars I told the young couple about different places around town and attractions they might enjoy.

"There is an Italian restaurant that my dad likes to take my mom to for their date night. He says the food is good and mom says it's really romantic. You guys could check it out."

"Oh a date night would be nice, but we have not been here long enough to find a sitter for Cyrus yet."

"Ma'am I would be happy to watch him anytime you guys want to go out. I watch the pups that come to the pack house often so I have experience. We always have several pups at the pack house. Usually its the pups of the wolves on patrol, but there are many couples that drop off their pups so they can have a date night. You are more than welcome to bring him over, and he can play with them or I can come by your house if you prefer."

"Really? You just let people drop their pups at the pack house?" James asked skeptically.

"Of course! We are a pack. That makes us family. Dad believes that happy mates make for a happy pack, so he encourages them to have a date night at least once a week. He says that if you can't have a night out that a night in is just as good, but having pups underfoot does not count. So people bring their pups to us. We have plenty of rooms set up as sleeper rooms if the parents need them to sleep over too."

Sarah reached over to lay her hand on her husbands leg. "That sounds amazing. The more I get to know this pack the happier I am that moved packs."

"Can I ask what made you move packs?" A dark shadow fell across James face as he got mad and Sarah got a sad look on her face. "I did not mean to offend either of you. You don't have to share I was just curious."

Sarah gave me a small smile, "No, we had to tell your father when we joined the pack, and as his mate you should know as well. We left because Alpha Everett was going to force Cyrus to mate with his son Robert as soon as he was old enough."

Now it was my turn to get mad. "What?! Why?! He can't do that! Cyrus is my mate! He can't have him." I felt myself getting angrier. How dare someone try to take my mate from me and to make him mate with someone else by force. I could feel my claws start to grow as I was about to shift as Vardor and I were becoming angrier. Just then Cyrus ran up to me and glomped on me giving me a squeezing hug. I hugged him back tightly. Being able to take in his scent was calming both Vardor and myself. As soon as I felt calm enough to not shift I pulled back to look at my young mate. "What is it little one? What caused you to run give me a hug?"

"I don' know. I jus' felt you need a hug."

"Well I definitely did need one. Thank you. Why don't you go play for a bit longer then we can eat?"

"Otay! I be back later." Off he ran again. I took a deep breath taking in his lingering scent and then looked to the boys parents.

In a voice as calm as I could make it asked, "Why?"

Sarah looked directly in my eyes, "Because Cyrus is an Omega."