Who Watches The Watchers Ch. 03

Story Info
Vilifying the Good Guys, covering up for the Bad Guys.
15.1k words
4.84
5.9k
6

Part 3 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 05/04/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racism, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

***

Part 12 - Battle Lines

My ears were ringing from the reports of the gunshots as I took in what had happened. Karl Coleman's shot had gone high and wide, striking a ceiling tile. And that was because he was lying on the floor having been shot in the chest... by none other than TCPD Deputy Chief Tanya Muscone!

The other Federal Agents had gone for their weapons, but found that Teresa Croyle had jumped in front of her fellow Angel Tanya, and was holding the SWAT Team's iron shield in front of her, protecting both of them.

And at least sixteen armed-and-armored TCPD Officers were now coming between us and the Swamp Frogs, their powerful firearms trained upon the Federal Agents. Meanwhile, standing in front of Jack Muscone was Your Iron Crowbar, wearing armor, of course.

Coleman was also wearing armor, which had taken the impact of Tanya's very accurate shot right in the 'ATF' lettering. He was now trying to breathe. His armor had saved his life, but trust me... getting shot in the chest still hurts!

"You fucking bitch!" yelled Lindsey Black. "You just shot a Federal Agent!"

"He was trying to shoot a Federal Agent... my husband." Tanya replied levelly, without a shred of perkiness in her voice.

"And he's about to be under arrest for attempted murder." I said. "TCPD Officers, take these rogue, dirty Federal Agents into custody. Any of them that resist... shoot them dead. It is a good thing we're at a hospital... they're going to need one for the treatment of their hideous injuries."

"Hold on." said a voice. Coming into the lobby through the front doors was Dr. Robin Isley, wearing heavy armor and even a helmet. To the medics she said "Put Coleman on that gurney and get him the hell out of here. The rest of you, get out of here, too."

As everyone but Lindsey Black and one of the 'extras' obeyed and retreated, Robin Isley looked at me with a great deal of hatred in her eyes as she said "I'll make you a quid pro quo offer you can't refuse. You let us handle our Agent, we'll leave your Officer alone. But if you try to arrest him, we'll come after her... and she won't have that wheelchair in Federal prison."

"Officers!" I said loudly, ignoring Isley's ultimatum, "why are these dirty Federal Agents not under arrest yet? Or dead?" My Officers began advancing, and Lindsey Black covered a very hasty retreat.

"Good shooting, Commander Muscone!" said Lieutenant Rudistan with great joviality. "Center of mass! Center of massss."

"And every one of you had better shoot that well when you next qualify." Tanya said, her perkiness having quickly returned. Officers laughed, then began a sustained round of applause for their Deputy Chief...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

12:30am, Wednesday, February 24th. I was in my office at TCPD Headquarters, finishing up my paperwork on the shooting incident. The Chief had not bothered to put Tanya on any kind of restricted duty nor limit her capacity to carry her service weapon while on duty, but I suspected we had not heard the last of the incident.

There was a knock on my door and Teresa came in. "Give a girl a ride home when you're done? If you're going to The Cabin, that is." she asked.

"Sure." I said. "So what's the scoop with Aunt Clarissa and my mom?"

Teresa said "Aunt Clarissa is using the handi-capable bedroom suite in my house. Your mom is staying at The Cabin, and right now it's just her and Paulina with all your kids and Marie."

I began wrapping things up and shutting down. "By the way," I said, "that was an excellent job you did tonight, and my report to the Chief reflects that. You had our people ready, and I did notice that you got in front of Tanya with that iron shield."

"And now she wants one of those for her Tank." Teresa quipped. "Seriously, though, sir, we all saw you get in front of Muscone and protect him even if Tanya hadn't have blasted that bastard."

I replied as I stood up and collected my thing to go: "His armor under his suit was woefully inadequate, while I was wearing the full chest protector... and the 'girdle', of course."

We walked out of Headquarters and to my Police SUV, both looking around warily for any problems. Once in the vehicle and out of the parking lot, I turned south onto Riverside Drive, then west onto Jefferson Avenue.

As we drove, Teresa said "That could have been a bloodbath in there, and Lindsey Black really does believe having a Federal badge makes her all-powerful, so I expected her to start shooting and go down in flames fighting. My only question is: why did Robin Isley stop them, and make them fall back?"

I said "Think about it. Why would Isley do that? And why did she stop the Federal Agents from trying to abduct... er, arrest Coldiron in the City this morning? And stop them from trying to shoot down the chopper with Coldiron and the Chief in it?"

Teresa said "Because she knows she's on the wrong side of the law and everything else on it?"

"Yes, but take it further." I said.

Teresa said "Oh... because if their Feds start killing people, it'll create publicity."

"Exactly." I said. "And the Light of Truth on what they have been doing is the one thing they're scared of. You are right that Lindsey Black truly does think she can do no wrong because she carries a Federal badge. And Coleman just went nuts with frustration over anyone at all standing in their way, especially when that obstacle is the Constitution itself."

I went on: "But Robin Isley knows that she has to keep it tamped down... and that's because of who she is protecting. And that has been our one and only trump card against them. We are on the side of right, but we also don't give a damn about the optics, while they are obsessed with optics."

Teresa said "Still, they tried to get Pitts again, even after Judge Landis had said that Judge Taney could not put out any warrants or writs on the case. And... do you think they'll still go after Coldiron, especially after Britt Maxwell ripped open the bag and let the cat out this morning?"

"I not only think they will," I replied, "I am expecting them to..."

Part 13 - The Legal Grind

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" said the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Thursday, February 25th, from the Anchor Desk of the KXTC studios. "The City Police head of Internal Affairs faces indictment by a Federal Grand Jury and a City Prosecutor!"

After the hard-charging intro music, Bettina began: "City Police Internal Affairs Captain Wes Masters, who once worked in the TCPD for Commander Donald Troy, could be indicted as early as today by a Federal Grand Jury. Let's go to trusted reporter Amber Harris for more on this extremely important story. Amber!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said the athletic blonde reporterette from the rooftop of the building at Riverside and College, with the Federal Building across Courthouse Square as her background. "U.S. Attorney Richard Baldwin will present evidence this morning before a Federal Grand Jury in The City, accusing Captain Wes Masters of drug distribution, conspiracy to commit drug distribution, and RICO violations for using his Office as the City Police I.A. leader to protect and cover up the drug distribution right that involved City Police Officers!"

Amber: "This comes after a day of legal wrangling over issuing Federal and State warrants, which were stayed by Federal Judge K.M. Landis of the Western District of the State, which includes our Town & County. He and Federal Judge Ruth B. Taney of the Southern District of the State have argued bitterly after he canceled her warrants to arrest Captain Masters and also take custody of DEA Agent Kevin Pitts, who is currently a patient at University Hospital."

Amber: "The U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals acted upon emergency requests, and ruled 3-0 that the warrants issued by Judge Taney were not based upon sufficiently substantial evidence against Captain Masters. They further ruled, 2-1 that the 'material witness' warrant Judge Taney issued for the FBI to take physical custody of DEA Agent Kevin Pitts violated the lawful instructions of Judge Landis that all Federal warrant requests pertaining to the Masters case go through him."

Amber: "Judge Landis's stays also affected the status of the warrants requested by SBI Inspector Britt Maxwell in the Court of Superior Court Judge Mario Cruz for the arrests of City Police First Deputy Commissioner Chennault as well as City Police Narcotics Bureau Chief Ken Z. Adams, for the exact same drug allegations filed against Captain Masters. It was expected that Judge Landis would hold a hearing today to determine which warrants could go forward based upon the current evidence, but the US DEA and U.S. Attorney Baldwin are bypassing Judge Landis's blatant display of obstructionism by going directly to the Federal Grand Jury, as is their right."

Amber: "And our colleagues at KSB News in The City are reporting that City District Attorney Ann Tish may ask for arrest warrants for Captain Wes Masters, for suspicion of first degree murder in the death of City Police Lieutenant Herbert Walker. It is not clear if that would violate Federal Judge Landis's moratorium on warrants, but D.A. Tish says that she is ready to fight Judge Landis in the Federal Appeals Court, citing that neither he nor the Federal Government have jurisdiction over murder cases. Back to you, Bettina!"

Bettina: "Thank you, Amber! That was Amber Harris, bringing you that important story. Channel Two News will continue to cover the story, and will bring you any breaking developments in the case. And now let's go to trusted political reporter Carl Lemay in Midtown with a report on the State Legislature. Carl!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said the black reporter, his expensive suit fitting him perfectly and every hair in place. "Channel Two News has learned that the allegations against Wes Masters of City Police Internal Affairs has deepened the divides between those that want to defund the Police and those that don't. The Black Caucus, led by Representative Tasheeka Harris of Inner Midtown, said that Wes Masters's alleged corruption is proof of why the the SBI and State Patrol also need to be fully defunded."

Lemay: "And 1st District State Senator Katherine Woodburn, who is the owner of the parent company of KXTC Channel Two News, said that while she respects the work of SBI Inspector Britt Maxwell, the City Police would not be so corrupt if there was a strong SBI to investigate local jurisdictions and make arrests of corrupt local LEOs. State Senator Woodburn has again demanded that Governor Sharon Marshall appoint an SBI Director that will be committed to the goals of strong law enforcement and rooting out local LEO corruption."

Lemay: "And there is no progress towards passing a State Budget. Senators Jimmy Cerone, Moe Molinari, and their bipartisan group of Senators and Representatives known as the 'Foodie Caucus', are meeting amongst themselves, bypassing the State House Ways and Means Committee and the State Senate Budget Committee, as well as the hardliners on all sides of the Budget issue. They may be the last hope for a State Budget to be hammered out. Back to you, Bettina!"

"Thank you, Carl!" said Bettina as she came back onto the screen. "That was Carl Lemay with that important story on the State Budget. And in local news, several Social Justice groups have demanded that Town & County Inspector General James 'Curly' Goodwin open an investigation of TCPD Deputy Chief Tanya P. Muscone after she fired her service weapon inside University Hospital, striking and wounding a Federal Agent that was serving a warrant."

Bettina: "TCPD Chief Sean Moynahan, a close friend of alleged murderer Wes Masters, and the immediate boss of Commander Donald Troy, who was pardoned by racist Governor Val Jared after allegedly raping a woman in his custody, refused to suspend Deputy Chief Muscone, saying she acted in self-defense and that the shooting was fully justified..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"You must've done something right, Don." said Chief Deputy Sheriff Cindy Ross. "They start up that pardon stuff when they are really, really mad at you for something." (Author's note: 'Film Noir', 'No Way Out', for all that stuff.)

"And when they want to try to elevate themselves by stepping on me." I replied. 
"They think it makes them more believable."

"And I'm shocked... shocked!... that Judge Ruth B. Taney didn't try to issue a warrant for your arrest, Tanya." said Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle.

It was a full house in the Chief's Conference Room, as Sheriff Griswold, Chief Deputy Sheriff Cindy Ross, Chief Sean Moynahan, Myself, Deputy Chief Tanya P. Muscone, Lt. Cmdr. Croyle... and City Police Captain Wes 'Coldiron' Masters sipped coffee and ate bacon, egg, and cheese biscuits while watching the broadcast.

In the Chief's office suite, there are three offices. The middle one, that is also the back left corner of the building, is the Chief's office. To its right is the room we were in, the Chief's Conference Room. To the left of the Chief's office was another office that was being used to store furniture and some boxes of files.

Those two side offices had been meant for the two Police Commander slots. But they'd not been filled at first, and when I became the first TCPD Police Commander, I took the office I have now... which had been meant for an ADA to use. So the empty office now had a cot in it, and of course the Police Station had restroom facilities, a locker room with showers, and friendly neighborhood Officers that could and did bring in food and coffee. And the Police Station was about as safe a place as a person could be.

"To be honest," Tanya said, "I'm surprised they didn't come after both me and Jack."

"They tried." I said. "The Citizens For Police Accountability filed the complaint with the I.G,'s Office, and also tried to file a lawsuit demanding your arrest. I strongly believe they were encouraged to do so by KXTC, who may even have paid their filing fees and slipped them a few extra green dollar bills under the table."

YIC: "Judge Franklin Washington squashed the lawsuit with prejudice, saying the CFPA did not have standing, and never would. The I.G. said the TCPD's internal investigation was 'ongoing', and he'd wait for that to be completed."

"Mis-ter Crowbarrrr," said Chief Moynahan, "how dangerous is this situation of that bastrrrrd Baldwin going to the Grand Jury?"

"It's the worst possible thing that could happen." I replied. "As you know, the Fifth Amendment to the Constitution requires all Federal felony indictments to be through a Grand Jury, though many States, including ours, allows preliminary hearings instead of local Grand Jury proceedings."

I continued: "The problem is that it's not 'adversarial'. The defendant has no rights at all, not to be present, not to have legal counsel fighting for him or her. All the Grand Jury is going to see and hear is what Baldwin wants them to hear. He'll have First Deputy Commissioner Liz Chennault and Bureau Chief Ken Z. Adams testify, as well as DEA Agent Ridley and maybe other Swamp Frogs."

YIC: "But he does not have to call witnesses for the Defense, and you damn well better believe the Grand Jury will be hearing nothing from Britt Maxwell nor Kevin Pitts nor Dwight Stevens. And the one-sidedness of that is the main reason that the United States and Liberia are the only Nations left on earth that use the Grand Jury system."

"Why don't they just do away with it, then?" Teresa asked.

"Because it's written into the Fifth Amendment." growled Sheriff Griswold. "They would have to change the Fifth Amendment to do away with the Grand Jury requirement, and that would require going through hoops nobody wants to go through."

"True, that." I said. "So, Coldiron... get a damn good lawyer, and I don't know what to say to advise you further."

"I really appreciate the help you've given me, so far." said Wes Masters. "I really cannot believe what is going on, and what the City Police have become. I've never felt this... pessimistic... about the legal system I grew up loving. And I no longer trust the Feds as far as I can throw them."

"Neither do I." I growled, causing my Angels and Our Sheriff to peer hard at me. I returned their looks.

"Where is Coleman, by the way?" asked Tanya.

I said "He's well out of State, and out of our reach. He was flown back east, either to Washington, D.C. or to Pennsylvania. Lindsey Black is still around. She's going to testify before the Grand Jury."

I got up and poured some more coffee into my Airborne School mug, then refilled the mugs of those who wanted more. Teresa finally broke the silence in the room:

"So Cindy," said Your Iron Wolf, "how did the Council Meeting go last night?"

"I-yi-yi." replied Cindy. "I think I'll hold off talking about that, for now. Let me change the subject by asking what happened with that plane flight your aunt and my aunt-by-marriage was aboard."

Teresa deferred to me, and I said "I read the preliminary report the FAA and NTSB filed. The BOW Enterprises plane is grounded pending a full forensic examination, which will take a month if I don't miss my guess. But they've found nothing wrong with it, so far. The pilot, on the other hand, is not going to be so lucky. His pilot's license is suspended, and the FAA is seeking full revocation of it. The pilot is fighting that, and Todd is helping with the legal expenses on it, but it doesn't look good..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Hello and welcome to Fox University Sunrise!" said Catrina Pierce at 8:00am, from the KFXU studios "With me today is Priya Ajmani. Meredith Peller is on assignment. Good morning, Priya."

"Good morning, Catrina." said the drop-dead-gorgeous Indian reporterette. "Good morning, everyone. Here's what's in the news..."

Their report pretty much dovetailed with Amber's report on the Bettina Broadcast, except that it was from a decidedly different slant, emphasizing Wes Masters and SBI Inspector Maxwell's roles in a positive light, and giving more attention to the potential corruption of the high-level CPD brass Officers. And then there was this:

Catrina: "And Fox Eight News has confirmed that ATF Agent Karl Coleman attempted to shoot and kill FBI Special Agent In Charge Jack Muscone when Agent Muscone stopped Coleman and other Federal Agents from acting on an illegal, rescinded warrant. TCPD Deputy Chief Tanya Muscone, who is fully qualified to carry firearms as part of her Police duties, shot Agent Coleman to protect her husband Jack Muscone. He was saved by his armor protection, but was removed from the scene on a gurney."

Priya: "Reached for comment, Chief Sean Moynahan said that he considered it to be a 'good shoot' by Commander Tanya Muscone, and she would not be put on restricted duty while the routine investigation of the incident proceeds. Neither the BAFTE nor the FBI would respond to KFXU's repeated requests for comment on the incident..."