Who Watches The Watchers Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"So where was Meredith?" Teresa asked as my three Angels and I drank more coffee and watched the broadcast in my office.

I replied "Captain Thompson had me look at a DVR of their broadcast yesterday. Meredith took a cheap shot at the parents being persecuted for speaking up at School Board meetings, and Catrina started calling her out on air. Meredith called to go to break, and after they were off air Catrina went off on Meredith, nearly physically so."

Cindy said "I heard that Catrina almost walked off the set, and did say she would not appear on the air with Meredith again. Catrina is the popular one on the show, so the producer pulled Meredith, which made Meredith angry. She's been 'designated for assignment', and we'll see if she comes back or not."

Teresa said "Speaking of that Council meeting, did you hear what happened there last night?" Cindy looked 'not happy' at Teresa bringing that up.

I said "I don't know the details, but I know Edward Steele wants to talk to me about it. I'll see him at Tasha's birthday party tonight. You guys gonna be there?"

"I will be." Cindy said. "And I've heard that several little girls are very excited that baby Ben will be there." Those little girls would be Carole, Marie, and Tasha.

"I'll be there, too, Lord willin' and the Creek don't rise." Teresa replied. "How old is Tasha today?"

"Five years old." I said, wondering where all the time had gone. "Man! they grow up fast."

Teresa said "I'm glad Paulina decided to let Tasha be a part of your life. Girls need a dad that's there for them, like you are for Carole and Tasha."

She didn't mean to remind me of Greta, and my absence from her life and her from mine, but I did get a bit melancholy and silent. Teresa changed the subject.

"What is Coldiron going to do?" she asked.

"If he's indicted by the Federal Grand Jury, and I think it's almost guaranteed that he will be," I said, "then he's going to have to make a decision on whether or not to turn himself in."

Cindy said "He can negotiate that, can't he? Who's the Federal Judge?"

"David Herbert." I replied. "He was nominated for the Bench by a previous President that was relatively Conservative, but he's occasionally has made rulings that lean Left. He's not a radical Leftist and Swamp Frog like Ruth B. Taney, but he's not a Constitutional Conservative and Guardian of Justice like K.M. Landis is."

I continued: "And to your question... yes, Coldiron can try to negotiate the conditions of turning himself in. But the Swamp Frogs are out for his blood, and they're trying to protect their dirty colleagues in City PD. I wouldn't trust them at all. They're worse than the Russians in countries where they're waging war, who promise safe passage for civilians on certain corridors, and then bomb those corridors, killing as many innocent people as they can."

Tanya said "So the Swamp Frogs might offer to let him have bail if he turns himself in, and then renege on it and take him into Federal custody... and we might never see him alive again after that."

"That is what I'm thinking." I said. "And I speak as someone with experience in that kind of dealing with the Swamp Frogs." (Author's note: 'No Way Out'.)

I saw Teresa's eyes widen as she looked at me. "Ohhhh, noooooo." she said, her voice barely a whisper. Her fellow Angels peered at her.

"Yes." I said to her. "You're getting it."

"Getting what?" Tanya asked.

"Don't ask a question you really don't want the answer to." Cindy replied, the Power of the Vibe warning her that those were mental quicksands...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

11:45am, Thursday, February 25th. Teresa and I met Jack Muscone and Karina White at the Cop Bar for lunch. Tanya Muscone also joined us in the back room. I suddenly realized that I was extremely hungry, so I ordered the special Double Breakfast Cheeseburger Plate that came with two such burgers. Jack Muscone ordered the Double Cheeseburger Plate, of course. Karina and Tanya had the Chicken Caesar Salads, and Teresa had the Steak Caesar Salad. They were huge salads.

"We went by the Hospital to see Pitts." said Jack Muscone. "I'm glad Tanya was with us. Your guys are not playing around when it comes to his security."

"No, no we're not." I said. "He may be Coldiron Masters's only hope, unless the deep undercover State Agent outs himself. But never mind that. How's Pitts doing?"

Jack said "He's in good spirits, and he's recovering pretty quickly. And he's very aware of what's going on with the Swamp Frogs."

I had been peering at him and at Karina. "Okay, there's bad news. What is it?"

"Not much gets past you." said Karina White.

Jack said "Yeah, it gets worse. Pitts is the good news. The bad news is that Martin Nash opened an OPR investigation on Karina, Tim Jenkins, and Julius Jefferson for getting you out of the Federal Building in The City when the Swamp Frogs were trying to hold you there."

The pall that created was palpable. "Are you kidding?" I asked. "Is Nate Grimes behind that?" SSA Grimes was the head of the OPR unit for Muscone's region.

"No." said Jack Muscone. "I talked to him personally. He said Nash went completely off the Reservation on that one, but he has the backing of the National Security Agency. Grimes was told to back off and not interfere."

"By who?" I asked. "EAD Owen Lange? Deputy Director Lawrence Lance?"

"Higher than that." said Karina White. "Robin Isley. But I have word that the actual orders for Nash to start the OPR and for no one else to interfere with it came straight from DNI Brendan Chapel's potty mouth."

Teresa said "By the way, where is Owen Lange?"

"No idea." said Jack Muscone. "He hasn't been seen since the afternoon before the Pitts rescue raid took place. My phone calls to his cell go straight to voicemail. I don't think he's in danger because I heard from (air quotes) 'sources' that he met with Deputy Director Lance yesterday, which means he's in Washington. So I'm not going to worry about him until I'm given reason to."

Jack's words struck me as a cluuuuue, and I sensed he didn't want to talk about it. So I changed the subject by asking "Are y'all going to be at Tasha's birthday party tonight?"

Karina said "I'm invited?"

"You sure are, if you want to come." I said.

Jack Muscone said "I'm not sure either of us will be able to attend tonight. We're going to be having videoconferences with our guys in Washington, Southport, and Midtown."

"What about you, Tanya?" Teresa made a distinct point to ask. "You're bringing Pete, aren't you?"

"Uhhh..." Tanya started. And then, as if changing her mind on something, she said "You know what? I will go. And I'll bring Pete..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

2:30pm. My Police iPhone rang. It was SBI Inspector Britt Maxwell.

"Commander Croyle is here with me." I said, as Teresa was in the far-side hot chair. "I'm putting you on speaker." I proceeded to do so.

After initial hellos, Britt said: "I've already talked to Chief Moynahan, so he knows. The Grand Jury brought back a true bill against Coldiron Masters, which means they've indicted him. Federal Judge David Herbert issued an arrest warrant."

"Yeah, I was afraid that would happen." I said sourly. "Mike G. Todd is going to represent him pro bono, and Mike is experienced in dealing with Swamp Frog crap after helping me so much."

"That's good." Britt said. "And I've been busy, too. I spent the morning trying to get a State Attorney to file charges against First Deputy Commissioner Chennault and Bureau Chief Adams. No one would agree to do it, and I found out that State A.G. Gil Krasney had ordered them to not help me in any way on this case."

"What?!" I almost exploded. "Why not?"

Britt said: "I've heard two possible reasons, and you see which one works best for you. First, Krasney is an Establishment Republican like Wilson Hammonds, and they both despise Governor Sharon Marshall. They may see this as a way to make the Governor look bad, as well as to weaken the SBI so that Katherine Woodburn gets her wish to make the SBI into the 'Junior Gestapo' alongside Derrick B. Harland doing that at the National level."

"What's the second reason?" I asked.

Britt replied: "I've heard the Swamp Frogs got to him, maybe even threatened him. The thesis is that the Swamp Frogs and the dirty CPD Brass know they're going to have to shut down their drug operation, as there's too much light of day on it now. But they want to do that on their terms, and with no criminal actions headed their way. So they've told Krasney to make sure they have no problems while making their tactical retreat."

"I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case." I said. "And I wonder if Krasney hates Coldiron for some reason?"

Britt said "I don't know, but speaking of Krasney... remember how he fired Jenna Stiles the day he took office as State A.G.?" (Author's note: 'Price No Object', Ch. 02.) "Well, I hired Jenna to work with Earl Drake as an SBI attorney. So she's shoving it in Krasney's face."

I said "What do you think the chances are of getting those charges against Chennault and Adams?"

"Good." Britt said. "Governor Marshall has said publicly that if warrants are issued, she'll suspend Chennault and Adams. And I also heard that Federal Judge Herbert might hold a preliminary hearing to determine if the charges against Masters should be dropped, if State indictments come out against Masters's primary accusers..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

2:35pm. The television monitors of the County that were tuned to KXTC were filled with a screen saying 'BREAKING NEWS!' A few seconds later, Bettina Wurtzburg appeared.

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" the redheaded MILF reporterette said. "We interrupt our regular programming for this important announcement! City Police Internal Affairs leader Captain Wes Masters has been indicted on Federal charges of drug distribution, conspiracy, and using his Office of Internal Affairs leader to cover up the criminal enterprise within the CPD!"

Bettina: "Once again the integrity of Police everywhere is deeply stained by these allegations of corruption within the CPD Internal Affairs Division, which is supposed to be watching over the Police to ensure integrity! If the Watchers are corrupt, who watches the Watchers? In this case it is an alert US DEA and other Federal agencies, working to bring the alleged criminals to justice!"

A photo of Wes Masters was shown as Bettina said: "With the indictments, Federal Judge David Herbert issues a warrant for Wes Masters's arrest. Anyone who sees Wes Masters is being asked to call the City Police, the State Patrol, or the FBI immediately. Wes Masters is considered armed and extremely dangerous, and an announcement from the Department of Homeland Security putting Masters on the FBI's Ten Most Wanted list is expected later today..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Teresa and I watched the DVR of it about five minutes later. Teresa said "The way Bettina framed that, you'd think Coldiron is a bigger threat than Black Velvet killer George Aurus."

"To the Swamp Frogs, he is." I replied. "And you're right. Bettina is enjoying taking cheap shots at the Police over this."

Teresa asked "So, do I need to alert the Force to be on watch for Coldiron? If I don't, Bettina will be reporting we aided and abetted Coldiron by not actively going after him."

I said "And worse, they might even try to charge Chief Moynahan with conspiracy. Yes, the Swamp Frogs are that dirty. Having said that... we don't have to be proactive about it, either. Wait until someone issues a formal APB for him, then notify the Force the same way we notify everyone else. Treat it as 'routine'..."

Part 14 - Birthdays and Babies

6:40pm, Thursday, February 25th. The party at The Cabin was at 7:00pm. Paulina and Tasha were there, of course. Edward and Stephanie Steele came early, and brought Marie. And that was good, because Cindy and Callie had brought baby Ben as well as Betsy. And he was the sensation of the party, of course.

"He's my little brother!" Betsy had happily claimed as Carole, Marie, and Tasha crowded around Cindy in the greatroom.

"Can I hold him?" Carole asked.

"Sure, come sit by me." Cindy said. She put Ben in Carole's lap, and said "You have to support his head, he's not old enough to hold it up yet." Carole did a very good job of supporting Ben's neck with her arm. Better yet, he opened his eyes and gave what looked like a smile as Carole baby-talked to him.

Bowser and Buddy were also fascinated by the new human. Bowser came right up and sniffed at Ben. Then Buddy did so, and buried his nose in Ben's side and sniffed a lot. I was surprised that that did not bother the baby.

Carole was 'invited' by her mother to let Marie and Tasha hold the baby, and they also did very well. Ben did not put up a fuss while Tasha held him, but as Marie was holding him he began crying.

"That's his hungry cry." said Carole.

"How do you know that, Carole?" asked her mother Laura.

"Because he's hungry." Carole replied. I chuckled, which served to protect Carole from a rebuke by Laura.

"You're right, that is his hungry cry." said Callie. Scant seconds later, Phyllis Troy came in with a warmed up bottle of formula. Marie got to feed Ben with Callie's help as Cindy sought me out. She, Edward, and I went into my office.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"So where is Tim tonight?" I asked as we sat down.

"He had to go back to Southport." Cindy said. "Jack Muscone ended his temporary assignment up here, but he'll come up on weekends and stuff."

"Something brewing down there?" I asked.

Cindy said "I think Jack just wanted to get Tim out of the line of fire from the Swamp Frogs. That traitor Martin Nash's OPR named Tim as a subject of the inquiry. Not that sending him back to Southport protects him, but it'll make Martin Nash have to travel long distances to talk to Tim."

I nodded as I said "Probably a good idea to get him out of here. Things are going to get worse before they get better. And speaking of that, I'm sorry I couldn't make the Council meeting last night."

"I understand." said Edward Steele. "You were busy, from what I heard. And this is not as important, but I wanted you to know about it at soon as possible. We now have a better idea of what Edgar Silas is going to be like on the Council."

Cindy said "Before Edward begins, let me paint the background picture for you: the audience was about one-third full, a hundred people or so. About 30 of them were green-shirted Environmentalist Wackos... dirty clothing, not shaved or having combed their hair, no makeup for the women, and all that."

"Yes, and their presence may be important." Edward said "So as you know, at the beginning of the Tuesday public sessions the paperwork submissions are made: lawsuits against the Town & County, requests for services, and all that. Usually the Mayor says 'Without objection, dispense with the reading.', which means the admission is acknowledged and the item is to be passed on to the City Attorney or wherever else it should go to for study or action to be taken without having to sit there and listen to it being read into the record. Sometimes they're just submitted in bulk."

Edward: "But this time, Edgar Silas objected. He then said he objected to one particular submission, and was fine with the rest of them being moved along."

Cindy said "That one item was my request for the County to lay water and gas lines up to my property and two others on the backside of the Mountain Finger, and to pave a road to those properties off the road past Promontory Point and to the Observatory. The other two properties aren't mine, but they might as well do the work now while they have the people there doing it."

Edward said "When Silas objected, the entire request was read into the record. And at first we thought it was about the other two properties. But no, he said he objected to laying the water, gas, and road to Cindy's property... unless and until she, and I quote, 'explained her role in the Police brutality against People of Color during last year's (air quotes) peaceful protests', unquote."

"Uh oh." I said. "So what happened."

"I acted like I have a crowbar." said Cindy. "I went right up to the podium and said 'Here I am. What do you want to know?'. Silas said 'Why should the Council help you after you and your fellow white cops physically abused peaceful People of Color?'."

Edward: "Cindy correctly replied that that did not happen. That made Silas really angry, and he shouted something like 'You're denying you beat the hell out of peaceful black protesters, and even murdered some when the Block House was destroyed?" (Author's note: 'Consequences', Ch. 04.)

Cindy: "I got right up to that microphone and said that the Police did not abuse anyone, much less murder anyone, and that we, and I did say 'we', only arrested violent agitators committing crimes. I then told him that he could continue to lie about what really happened, but repeating the lie often enough would not change the truth, and that I would never apologize for the correct actions of the TCPD."

Edward: "Silas was about to go off on Cindy, but at that point J.P. Goldman began raising Points of Order out the wazoo, so the Mayor shut it down. Then everyone voted, and Cindy's request was accepted for study by a 6-5 margin, strictly along Party lines."

"Nice to have Republicans on your side, eh, Green Crowbar?" I quipped to Cindy with a grin. That earned me a 'look'; while a political atheist, Cindy was a lesbian and a mild feminist, and therefore despised the Republican Party, especially the Establishment Republicans.

Cindy said "The reason I wanted to talk to you about it, Don, is because I got a vibe while I was sparring with Silas. Those Environmentalist Wackos were really paying attention to it. They didn't say anything, didn't raise any protests, but I found their interest... disturrrrbing. And I also got a sense... that they knew in advance Silas was going to make that specific objection, that it was pre-arranged."

"Hmmm." I said. "And Silas forced a verbal reading of the request, so they got to hear every detail... of the property location, of what was being done..."

I went into a brief reverie, then came back out of it and said "Well, you wield a green crowbar and considerable influence in this County's Government. Use that power and shepherd that request through as fast as you can. You have a Klingon Warrior... Edward calls him 'the Sheriff'... who can help you a lot with that."

"And I'll be right there helping, too, as will J.P. Goldman." said Edward Steele.

"So how was Silas beyond that objection?" I asked. "Did he raise a lot of crap?"

"He hardly said two words the rest of the night." Edward said. "And there was virtually no new business..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The other guests arrived. My mother Phyllis and Teresa'a Aunt Clarissa were there, and Teresa and Todd brought their boys, who quickly joined my boys upstairs running New Lego City and the great Troy Transcontinental Railroad. Tanya also came in with Pete, Tiffany and Jennifer, and the girls had a lovefest with baby Ben.

Dinner was served: hotdogs, hamburgers, and fixins. Afterwards, as we were gathering in the greatroom to give Tasha her presents, she surprised me by going up to her grandmother Phyllis.

"Grandma, do you love your other grandchildren more than you love me?" Tasha asked. Paulina and I looked at each other, stunned.

"Tasha," Paulina asked, "why would you ask your grandmother something like that?"

Tasha said "I thought she might not love me as much because my skin color is darker than theirs."