Who Watches The Watchers Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Two hours into the hearing, Judge Herbert called for a ten minute recess for a potty break. Deputies closely watched everyone going to the restrooms, and I watched to make sure no Federal Agents were trying to remove the zip-ties to their service weapons. I can't outrun a bullet, either.

"How do you think it's goo-innng?" Chief Moynahan asked me within Britt Maxwell and Jenna Stiles's hearing.

"I don't think it's gone badly for us," I replied, "but I think we're going to need more, or Coldiron is going to have to go to trial." Then I peered at Britt, whose eyes were sparkling. "And maybe do have more?"

"As you like to say, Don," Britt said, "time will tell..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

When the hearing started back up, Judge Herbert said "Ms. Maxwell, Ms. Stiles, do you have any more witnesses or information for me to consider?"

"Yes, Your Honor." Jenna Stiles said. "We call SBI Agent Terence Johnson to the stand." Johnson came up and testified that I.A. Lieutenant Walker had 'outed' him as an Agent, and that Pitts had warned Johnson that he (Johnson) had been exposed, enabling Johnson to be pulled out. Alas, he didn't have much more that could make charges against the dirty CPD brass stick.

"We call DEA Special Agent Kevin Pitts to the stand." Jenna Stiles said after Johnson was dismissed. The door opened and Kevin Pitts was brought in. He was in a wheelchair, which was more comfortable for him to sit in.

Jenna said "Your Honor, we request that Agent Pitts be allowed to remain in his wheelchair and testify from it."

"Objection!" Richard Baldwin yelled angrily. "Everyone else has to sit in the witness box, Your Honor! Even Commander Troy with his bad back sat in the witness chair."

Judge Herbert looked at Baldwin as if he were a turd in a punchbowl, then just shook his head. "Objection overruled." he said acidly. "Come up to the microphone at the Defense table, Agent Pitts."

Pitts was sworn in, and what he had to say was crucial, and damning to the Swamp Frogs's case. He outlined what the DEA had obtained, and that it led to First Deputy Commissioner Liz Chennault and Chief Ken Z. Adams as being ringleaders and protectors of the drug operation.

Then Baldwin took his shot: " Your Honor, it's this man's word against the word of multiple decorated City Police Officers and Federal Agents. Furthermore, he has been hospitalized and medicated, and I submit that his word is unreliable without strong corroboration."

Britt Maxwell said "Then I will give you that corroboration, Your Honor, when my next witness takes the stand." There were murmurs throughout the Courtroom, causing the Judge to tap his gavel and restore order.

After finishing up with Pitts, Britt said "Your Honor, I call SBI Agent Matty Graves to the stand."

Part 17 - Matty Graves

The side door opened and a tall, slender-ish man with wavy black hair came in. He was wearing an SBI jacket with his badge and a few ribbons. He had a handsome face with a strong jaw, and reminded me a bit of Sergeant Roy McGhillie. But Graves also had a touch of 'sinister' in his face, especially in his dark eyes. I'd seen him before: he'd been one of the first to arrive at the Lieutenant Walker crime scene on Beacham Street.

After he was sworn in, Judge Herbert said "Let me ask this myself before you begin your testimony. Who are you?"

"My name is Matty Graves, Your Honor." said Matty Graves. "I've been a very deep undercover SBI Agent for ten years, the equivalent of what TCPD Detective J.J. Perry was before the Federal Government exposed his identity."

Judge Herbert: "Who knew of you? Who knew your identity?"

Graves: "Only four persons knew me, Your Honor. 'Ice Cube' Perry was one. We saw each other a number of times while undercover, and eventually figured out that the other was a good guy. It worked out because we could help each other out at times if things got squirrelly."

Graves: "The second person who knew me was my handler, SBI Inspector Britt Maxwell. And Lieutenant Norm Chow knew, and was my handler at times."

Graves: "And the fourth person that knew me was Commander Donald Troy."

"And how did he know who you were?" interrupted Richard Baldwin with a snarl.

"As they say, nothing gets past Commander Troy." said Graves.

"I agree." said Judge Herbert. "But take this seriously, Mr. Graves, and just answer the questions."

"My apologies, Your Honor." Graves said. "The full answer is that my first cousin is a man named Bobby Joe Graves. He was involved in the kidnapping of three children that Commander Troy rescued when Ward Harvester blew up... blew up the first time, that is. That was when they gave Commander Troy his first Medal of Valor." (Author's note: 'Sperm Wars: The Family Menace'.)

Graves: "Commander Troy subsequently thoroughly checked out Bobby Joe, and came across my name, and Inspector Maxwell told me he'd found my name. To his credit, Commander Troy never said a word to anyone, just like he kept Ice Cube Perry's secret."

Judge Herbert said "Commander Troy, you are still under oath. Is what this witness just said true?"

I rose from my seat and said "Yes, Your Honor. He is who he says he is, and what he just told you is true to the best of my knowledge."

Judge Herbert said "Detective J.J. Perry, please stand up and be sworn in. Just stay at your seat there, but raise your right hand." Perry was sworn in, the the Judge said "Is this man who he says he is?"

"Yes, Your Honor." said Perry. As he was told to sit back down, I thought to myself that that was why Britt Maxwell had J.J. Perry here. Dayum, that is Crowbar-worthy of our lovely SBI Inspector, I thought to myself.

Graves's testimony was damning. He was the 'other' Agent embedded in the City Police. He named names. He cited dates and things that happened on those dates. And he had the goods on Chennault and Adams, which he'd sent to Britt previously.

"One last thing." Jenna Stiles said, and it was smart that she be the one asking the questions, as Britt had suddenly ceased to be able to question her own Agent like this. "The murder of Lieutenant Walker. You were one of the first four City cops to arrive at the scene, weren't you?"

"Yes ma'am." said Graves. "I got word that Lieutenant Walker was supposed to meet Captain Masters, and dirty Federal Agents were going to ambush them and kill them both. We tried to get to their meeting site in time, but Walker was somehow taken off course... like Agent Pitts had been. When we got to the scene, we saw two men shooting into the car, and then they ran away from the scene and got into a white van which took off."

"Did you get the plates on the van?" Jenna asked.

"No ma'am." said Graves. "But there was a logo on the side of the van: 'Morrison Plumbing & Electric'." My eyes widened in shock; that was a Swamp Frog front! (Author's note: 'Price No Object', Ch. 01.)

"Did you recognize the shooters?" Jenna Stiles asked loudly.

"Yes ma'am." said Graves. "I recognized one of them."

"Is he in this room now?" Jenna Stiles asked. Trap about to be sprung, I thought to myself.

"Yes ma'am. It was DEA Agent Tommy Ridley." Graves said, pointing at Ridley. Shock waves traveled through the room, and murmuring began...

... and time slowed down.

I saw it, but by the time I realized what was about to happen, it was already happening. Ridley had leaned down and taken a revolver out of its holster on his ankle, then stood up as he brought it to bear on Matty Graves.

"Die, you son of a bitch!" Ridley yelled.

*BLAM!* *BLAM!*

To be continued.

Uh oh, press the panic button. What will the Iron Crowbar do now? How will he save Coldiron Masters and take down the Swamp Frogs... if he doesn't get shot himself? The final chapter is next!