Who Watches The Watchers Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I love you just as much as I love them!" Phyllis said. "You're just as much my grandchild as they are."

The rest of the room remained awkwardly silent, then Phyllis said "Come here, child." She picked up Tasha and put her on her lap. "First of all, Carole has black hair and Jim and Ross have red hair, but I love them all the same, too."

I said "Tasha, let me ask you this: are Tiger Mom's kittens different colors?"

"Yes, Daddy." Tasha said.

"And Tiger Mom loves them all the same, doesn't she?" I asked.

"Yes." Tasha said.

"And there you go. Your grandmother loves you just as much as she loves her other grandkids. Isn't that right, Mom?"

"It sure is." said Phyllis.

Still shaken up by that, I rather sternly told the boys to get their butts over to the greatroom so that Tasha could open her presents. She collected a good haul. All the boys had collaborated to buy her an Apple Store gift card so she could buy games and puzzles. Carole and Marie made her a book, showing Tasha surrounded by Tiger Mom, Gracie, and the other cats, then a drawing of Tasha and her mom doing 'paperwork', then a drawing of Tasha playing basketball with Carole and Daddy.

I'd given Tasha a small pillow that was in the shape of a cat, with gray and black stripes like Tiger Mom's, but I also had a second gift, and after what Tasha had asked her grandmother, I thought it was appropriate. It was a little set of four American Flags on a pedestal. The first Flag was the 'Betsy Ross' (good name) Flag with the circle of 13 stars. The second one was the 15-Stars-and-Stripes Flag; the third, the post-Civil-War flag of the time the Thirteenth Amendment was passed, outlawing slavery; and the fourth, the 50-star Flag.

"You can put these on your desk," I told Tasha, "and whenever anyone says that you are different, or calls you a name, you can look at these Flags and remember that with me, White and Black don't matter... you are my All-American girl, and you always will be."

"Thank you, Daddy." Tasha said brightly, smiling happily. She climbed up onto the sofa and gave me a big hug. Then she announced to everyone: "And my favorite presents are hugs from Daddy, because I can get one every day!"

Yeah, that made Daddy's heart melt. I said "And the best thing is... I'll never run out of hugs to give you."

And like the crushed toy train that Ian would have on his desks for the rest of his life, that Flag set would find itself on Tasha's desks for the rest of her life... and make one other special appearance. But that is for a future story...

Part 15 - Triphammer of the Law

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Monday, March 1st, from the Anchor Desk of the KXTC studios. "City Police Captain Wes Masters turns himself in after being indicted by a Federal Grand Jury!"

After the hard-charging intro music, Bettina began: "In yet another stain upon Police Departments everywhere, Captain Wes Masters, who was the head of the City Police Internal Affairs Division, was indicted on multiple Federal drug-related charges, as well as RICO violations. An arrest warrant was issued for Masters by Federal Judge David Herbert of the Eastern District of the State, who is based in The City."

Bettina: "Masters is represented by Michael G. Todd of the Madison & Ives Law Firm... that's Mike G. Todd of the Madison & Ives Law Firm... who is also the attorney for TCPD Commander Donald Troy. As you'll remember, Commander Troy had to be pardoned by deeply unpopular White Nationalist Governor Val Jared for allegations that Troy raped a woman in his custody, and Troy was given an Federal Immunity Agreement by hard-Right Federal Judge K.M. Landis."

Bettina: "Mike Todd made the case to Judge Herbert that his client's life would be in extreme danger if he, Masters, was in the custody of the City Police, and in even worse danger if he were in the custody of the Federal Government. Todd submitted to the Judge that U.S. Attorney Richard Baldwin was behind an attempt to forcibly remove Peter Blassingame from the custody of the TCPD, and that some of the Federal Agents who testified against Masters also attempted to use violent force to unlawfully removed Blassingame from TCPD custody." (Author's note: 'Vox Populi Vox Dei', Ch. 01-02; 'Unresolved', Ch 04-05.)

Bettina: "Despite strong protests by the U.S. Attorney, Judge Herbert ordered that Captain Masters turn himself in... to the Westphalia Police Department. Judge Herbert further ordered that Masters be held under house arrest with ankle-monitoring. He is currently in the home of State Representative Marsha Collins in Eastphalia, with State Patrol Troopers and Federal Marshals guarding him."

Bettina: "U.S. Attorney Richard Baldwin was very angry with that decision, and has promised to appeal. Roll tape."

Tape rolled, showing a red-faced Richard Baldwin speaking to reporters surrounding him: "This is an unbelievable decision by this Federal Judge. Wes Masters has been charged with very serious crimes, and he is an extreme flight risk. I am appealing this ruling, and I am seeking to have Masters taken into Federal custody so that he can be put behind bars in a Federal facility... from where we know he will never leave."

Back to Bettina live: "And let's go to Tim Sioban of KSB News for more on the charges against the leader of Internal Affairs of the City Police Department. Tim!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said Tim Sioban. "Wes Masters is charged with setting up and running a drug distribution scheme, as well as conspiracy to distribute drugs stemming from him using his Office in CPD Internal Affairs to provide cover for other Officers that were part of the ring. He is also charged with racketeering under the RICO Act, a charge the Feds often use to increase the gravity of the crimes against the accused, as well as to substantially increase his prison sentence if convicted."

Sioban: "According to the indictment, Masters and other CPD Officers would take possession of heroin and other drugs confiscated in CPD raids. But instead of destroying the drugs, the Officers took them and sold them to some of The City's most powerful drug dealers, who would simply re-sell them to our children for enormous profit."

Sioban: "In a statement to KSB News, U.S. Attorney Richard Baldwin said that he was giving the Officers in the drug ring full Immunity in exchange for their testimony against Wes Masters. City District Attorney Ann Tish has agreed to give them State Immunity, as well. D.A. Tish is expected to file State charges against Masters for the drug and cover-up connections, but also in connection with the murder of City PD Lieutenant Herbert Walker, who was Masters's second-in-command in Internal Affairs. Back to you, Bettina!"

Back to Bettina live: "Thank you, Tim! That was Tim Sioban of our sister network, KSB News in The City. And now let's go to trusted reporter Amber Harris for more on the local impact of Wes Masters's alleged crimes. Amber!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said the short, athletic blonde reporterette from the roof of the building at Riverside and College, with TCPD Headquarters in the distant background. "Wes Masters was once a Detective on the Midtown Police Force, and part of a team under Captain Sean Moynahan. Other members of that team were Detectives Molly Ross Evans and Frank Soltis."

Amber: "Soltis was investigated by Midtown Internal Affairs when his badge was found at the scene of a murder." (Author's note: 'Case of the Fake Badges', particularly Ch. 04.) "Molly Ross Evans is the sister of Town & County Chief Deputy Sheriff Cindy Ross, and is the mother of two illegitimate children sired out of wedlock by Donald Troy.. And Wes Masters once worked in the TCPD for Commander Troy. As such, Masters is no stranger to unethical behavior, corruption, and criminal charges against Police Officers."

Amber: "What is most frightening is that Moynahan is now Chief of Police of the TCPD, Evans is the Police Chief of the Nextdoor County Police Force, and Soltis is Chief of the Midtown Police Force. All of these Police Chiefs are well-known for having supported harsh Police tactics and even Police brutality against peaceful Black protesters, particularly Chief Moynahan's support of Commander Troy's extreme brutality against Blacks in last year's peaceful protests. And now Masters has been indicted for alleged corruption. What's next? we wonder. What's next. Back to you, Bettina!"

Back to Bettina: "Thank you for that crucial report, Amber! That was trusted reporter Amber Harris with that important information that Captain Masters is a pea in the same pod with the Police enablers of racism and violence against People of Color! And now let's go to respected political reporter Carl Lemay, for more from Midtown. Carl!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said the handsome black reporter in his expensive suit, every hair in place and the television makeup perfectly applied. "Channel Two News has learned that despite tremendous pressure from Democrats, Republican Governor Sharon Marshall has said she will not use the law to suspend officials for crimes committed. Roll tape."

Tape rolled, showing Governor Marshall saying: "As you know, Governor Jared used that law to suspend Town & County Councilwoman Kelly Carnes for alleged crimes, and the Courts said it could not be used unless and until she's convicted. It's really pathetic that you biased journalists viciously attacked Governor Jared for using the law then, but then turn around and attack me for not using it before Wes Masters is convicted------" (Author's note: 'Vox Populi Vox Dei', Ch. 01.)

The screen went to color-bars-and-tone for a second, then came back to Lemay, who said "We apologize to those who may have been offended by us showing that last bit of Marshall's defense of the racist, White Nationalist Val Jared. Back to you, Bettina."

Back to Bettina: "Thank you, Carl, and we again apologize to our viewers for that horrific mistake. In a related story, Captain Masters has been stripped of his Police powers by the Executive Board of the City Police Department, and suspended without pay. First Deputy Commissioner Liz Chennault is on the Executive Board, and has been given a strong endorsement of support by the City Police Commissioner and the Mayor. "

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"They accidentally show the truth, and they literally apologize for it." said Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle as Sheriff Griswold, my three Angels, and I drank coffee in the Chief's Conference Room and watched the propaganda piece... er, newscast.

"Random Act of Journalism." I said bitterly. "They won't fire Lemay, but I'll bet some poor scrub in the video room will be flogged before being fired."

"You okay, Don?" Chief Deputy Cindy Ross asked me, getting a vibe of my very bad mood.

"Not really." I replied sourly. "There is nothing worse than when the Evildoers use the System and the Law against good people. They bypassed Judge Landis and went to the Grand Jury to get their indictment. Legal, but bad. And now... Baldwin is going to give the truly dirty cops in the ring full Immunity, saving their asses if they lie and throw Masters to the dogs. The Swamp Frogs are very effectively cleaning up the mess and saving the Bad Guys while throwing a Good Guy under the jail." I went into a bleak reverie.

"That does suck." said Deputy Chief Tanya P. Muscone. "At least the Federal Judge didn't make Coldiron turn himself in to the Feds like they wanted. He'd be dead now if he had."

"Really?" Cindy said. "You think they'd kill him? With all the publicity on them?"

"Get your head out of your fourth point of contact, Cindy!" I all but shouted, losing restraint. "Did you hear what Richard Baldwin said on that newscast? He literally told those reporters he wanted Masters in Federal custody so that Masters could (air quotes) 'never' get away! And we all know exactly what he meant! There's only one way to guarantee he wouldn't get away... murdering him!"

"Easy, Crowbar." Sheriff Griswold admonished me. "She wasn't taking their side."

"For God's sake." I muttered as I got up to go.

"Going somewhere?" the Sheriff growled.

"Jesus fucking Christ, people!" I all but shouted as I looked at all of them. "Do you guys just not remember how they came after me, destroyed my home, tried to murder my daughter and my dog?" (Author's note: 'No Way Out', Ch. 02-03.) "Do any of you believe that if I'd been there, if they'd have found me, they would not have murdered me on the spot? They intended to kill me, and they intended, and still intend, to murder Coldiron Masters, to silence him in order to protect their dirty asses!"

"Yes, Don, I remember it." Teresa said. "Halsey was pointing his gun at me that morning. Please? Sit down?"

"Yes, Crowbar. Please." growled Griswold, gesturing at my chair with his hand. I most very reluctantly sat back down.

The Sheriff said "We're all worried about Coldiron, Crowbar. But he's as safe as he can be at the moment. Moynahan is not here now because he, Molly, and Frank Soltis are staying with Coldiron in Eastphalia. They're armed to the teeth and will defend him to the last ditch, like the Iron Wolf here has defended you and your family."

I nodded. "And I'll always be grateful to you for that... and all of you, for the times you've helped me."

Tanya said "It's not going all their way, either. Judge Herbert agreed to move up the preliminary hearing. Normally at the Federal level, those are just procedural meetings, but Jack told me that Judge Herbert is going to take Mike Todd's motion to dismiss very seriously. Normally those are denied, as they trust the Grand Jury to be right, however one-sided in whatever they hear. But Herbert is going to go the extra mile on it."

"All we can do now," said the Sheriff, "is have faith. Faith in God, faith in Justice, and faith the System will work."

Somehow, I thought to myself, I don't feel very reassured by that...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"He gets like that whenever he gets really frustrated, or feels like he's helpless to do anything." Teresa said to Cindy and Tanya as they sat in Tanya's office prior to the KFXU broadcast.

Tanya said "And he really does hate it when the Swamp Frogs bastardize the Law and use it against the People. He's an idealist, in that he wants the Law to be applied for good, and equally to all people. And it pisses him off when that doesn't happen."

Cindy said "And that explains a lot with regard to race relations. Damien Thompson once told me that Don is (air quotes) 'color blind', that he wants blacks and whites and everyone else to be treated equally without regard to skin color. Damien also said that that it's noble... but naive. The World just doesn't work that way."

Tanya said "Speaking of that... did you guys hear what Tasha asked her grandmother Phyllis last Thursday night?" The other women nodded, and Tanya said "I just thought of that because Don was working hard to help Tasha overcome those feelings. My question is... what made Tasha think that in the first place?"

Cindy said "I'll tell you this, if you promise not to tell Don nor anyone else." The others nodded and Cindy said "You guys know I have this extrasensory perception we call (air quotes) 'the Vibe'. Aunt Phyllis has it, Don has it more than he lets on, and Carole has it much more strongly than any of us. That drives her mother crazy, as Laura is a psychologist and really doesn't like those 'out there' things that can't be explained scientifically."

Cindy: "Well, I get the sense that Tasha has the Vibe, too, at least a little bit. And I think she picked something up from Phyllis. I'm not saying Phyllis is a racist, and I don't think she is. But Tasha was really picking up that vibe in Apple Grove when we went up there for the Lake Troy ceremony. And Phyllis has chosen to live there full-time, when she could be down here." (Author's note: 'Cat's In The Cradle', Ch. 01 for the ceremony story.)

"And Phyllis and Melina always got along well." Teresa said to herself but loud enough to be heard. Then she woke up, looked up, and said "You think Tasha got a vibe from Phyllis that Phyllis really does think less of Tasha because..." She did not finish the sentence.

Cindy said "No, not that Phyllis is racist or anything like that. But maybe some fleeting thought did go through Phyllis's head, perhaps benign, and Tasha sensed it and got the wrong idea."

"Let's change the subject." Tanya said. "You think Don is agitated about what they're doing to Coldiron because he knows they're going after him, Don, though his colleagues, friends, and family?"

Teresa said "Cindy would say (air quotes) 'it's always all about Don'." A green crowbar was waved in her general direction.

Cindy followed up by saying "Yes, I do needle Don by saying that. But seriously, you're right. The Consultant of Crime attacked Don through attacking the TCPD as well as his family. The Swamp Frogs did the same thing. So yeah, I'm sure Don has thought about that."

"An he should." Teresa said. "I cannot be the only one that did not fail to notice how they attacked Wes Masters through his colleagues: Frank Soltis was rightly acquitted of wrongdoing in the 'Fake Badges' case, but Amber did all she could to make him sound dirty. She pasted Molly with the 'Iron Crowbar's mistress' label, and made it sound like Masters is corrupt for working with the TCPD in the past or present."


"Typical of them." said Cindy.

Teresa said "And I can't believe Owen Lange bailed out. He was always a staunch ally."

Cindy said "Maybe he's helping us more than we know, in other ways."

Tanya shook her head sadly in disagreement. "No. Jack is trying to put on a front about it, but I can tell... either something happened to Owen Lange, or they've cowered him into submission..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

8:00am, Monday, March 1st. My Angels filed in for the Angels Meeting, but Cindy was not in an 'angelic' mood. Before sitting down, she said to me "All I'm going to say is that if you ever again tell me to get my head out of my fourth point of contact, I'm going to shove this up your fourth point of contact!"

Teresa and Tanya's eyes were wide with shock. I merely affixed by gray eyes to Cindy's ice blue peepers and said "You are welcome to try."

"Guys, we're on the same team, here." Teresa said as Cindy and I continued our staredown.

"Sit down, Cindy, you're holding up progress." Tanya fearlessly said. Cindy glanced at her fellow Angels for a second, then sat down. I turned on the television.

"Hello and welcome to Fox University Sunrise!" said Catrina Pierce. "I'm Catrina Pierce, and with me is Priya Ajmani. Meredith Peller is in The City, covering the developing situation in the City Police Department. Hello, Priya."

"Good morning, Catrina. Good morning, everyone." said the beautiful Indian reporterette. "Here's what's in the news: SBI Inspector Brittany M. Maxwell secured indictments against City Police First Deputy Commissioner Liz Chennault, CPD Narcotics Bureau Chief Ken Z. Adams, and twelve CPD Officers involved in a drug distribution ring."

Catrina: "State Superior Court Judge Mario Cruz issued the indictments and arrest warrants for Chennault and Adams, but the City Police refused to act on them, and Chennault and Adams have so far not turned themselves in."

Priya: "State Attorney General Gil Krasney refused to indict Chennault and Adams, and said that the indictments on behalf of the State by SBI attorney and former State Attorney Jenna Stiles are illegal and not binding.