All Comments on 'Why? Ch. 01'

by JLRemora

Sort by:
  • 237 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Sorry it is to long

I skipped over a lot of the none essential parts. The man is just to hung up on himself and that is probably why she left him. Only 2 stars.

kilroy

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Who Steals my Name?

"Sorry it is to long

I skipped over a lot of the none essential parts. The man is just to hung up on himself and that is probably why she left him. Only 2 stars.

kilroy"

Took a double-take on seeing this. I Could never have written it. Good Lord, The Errors !!

Too long -- non-essential -- too hung-up -- and a Capital "K" please.

Anyhow. I doubt it's the fellow in Africa. The Letter was written avoiding all mention of Husband/Wife, using the word 'spouse' instead.

I'm betting the millionaire took his PA/Sister to africa and that is who the Mrs is sharing a bed with. But we'll see later on.

Well-written Words, Remora,

The Other Kilroy.

cohibaIVcohibaIVover 12 years ago
Not too long at all

Really drew me in, and I felt I was sharing his discoveries about his wife and Miller. You write well and you have created a sense of tension. Like to see where you go with this. Looking forward to more. Thank you.

tazz317tazz317over 12 years ago
THERES A RIOTING IN AFRICA

and its about to begin.DETENTE'S OVER TK U MLJ LV NV

huedogghuedoggover 12 years ago
who cares why

I will never understand the worrying about why. Who cares why she did it thats all that matters.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
More?

Waiting for the rest.. so hurry up already ! lol

BigJohn601BigJohn601over 12 years ago
Like a young Oliver Twist......

Can we have more please? While the story seems to stumble about like the husband in the story, you have made it fit well together. Let's hope the little guy gets some justice.

OldHidekiOldHidekiover 12 years ago
Great Start...

More of a detective story than anything else, but it did keep my attention. In my mind, he would have been better served signing the papers to financially protect himself. It is obvious that the wife and lover have resources beyond his and will be able do whatever they want. It will be interesting to see where this story goes, but I do feel there is no chance for reconciliation, only revenge.

DavidYoungDavidYoungover 12 years ago
SUPER, and Thank You!

I agree with the above comment, not too long and well developed. Thank you, I went thru this same pain, but for much longer time.

Mousse9Mousse9over 12 years ago

I'm interested in how this unfolds. It does seem more like a detective case than a "normal" LW story.

Why does he not tell his grown children what is going on? Is it the shame? They're adults! One of em even married. Show them the letter, and that's it. They'll understand everything.

As for going up against a billionaire...THAT's what I want to read about, how he's gonna do that, get revenge on that guy and his not-yet-ex wife.

If this Conrad Miller IS seen as some goodytwoshoes billionaire then public image counts for a LOT, doesn't it? If it becomes public that he "stole" someone's wife, I wonder what that would do to his rep...

Looking forward to the next part.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
good work

some spelling/editing errors (Janice/Melissa?) but otherwise good work, thanks for writing

bruce22bruce22over 12 years ago
Good to see another author on the board

Nicely constructed opening chapter. Those who ignore the question why are having a knee jerk reaction and are focalized on revenge. They are completely self-centered and highly offended. In the story our protagonist seems to be getting to the point of considering revenge as satisfying.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Good Wrtiting

But did not like the character of the husband. He was given a great gift by the wife and can't accept it gracefully.

Wife's integrity and actions, if true, are to be applauded. She did not let go of the marriage for casual sex, but for what she sees as love. Like any one else, she had choices and she chose.

Husband should sign papers and get on with his life.

rphinneyrphinneyover 12 years ago
The Other Why...

I can't help but think the question in the title is more concerning the protagonist's actions than his wife.

If someone doesn't want to be with you, why would you try to find a way to compel them? And what difference does it make what reason they have for not wanting to be with you?

I have been divorced, and while painful, you do get over it unless you are so co-dependent that you can't manage your own life. A wife is a partner, not a Mommy, and shouldn't be confused with such.

I appreciate the author's attempt to create suspense, but it failed with me because I really don't care why she decided to leave, and don't see where it makes a damn bit of difference to anyone but an egotistical ass that can't imagine anyone not being grateful to be a part of his life.

He's a bit too arrogant for me to identify with or care much about...

RehnquistRehnquistover 12 years ago
Believable and well-written, but . . .

Just one suggestion: Use dialoge with others to tell more of the story. Nearly the entire 4 pages are pure prose of internal ramblings and descriptive prose. I think the story would've been much more interesting--and we'd have all gotten to know the progagonist far better--had you spilled out most of the facts through dialogue with others. Think about it: You describe the dialogue with the daughters, but you don't share the actual dialogue. Sharing the actual dialogue would've given us the opportunity to know them--and by extension the entire family unit and how it functioned--far better.

Just a suggestion, though.

I really do like the premise, and the way she just told him about the divorce is something I see nearly every day in my divorce practice. It rings all too sad and true.

RePhilRePhilover 12 years ago
Welcome to the neighborhood

Good writing but the ending left me unfulfilled and some what frustrated. One sentence after four pages didn't deliver any sense of resolution ormclosure to the many threads you wove. Kind of felt lacking at the end nlooking forward to your next story

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Why

It does not seem to me that the protagonist of the story really wants his wife back. He simply wants to know whether she was driven away by some of his own shortcomings or was simply seduced by the rich guy in some manner. To continue on with his own life it is useful to know one's blind spots in order to avoid repeating the same mistakes. Any revenge on anybody, I think, will depend on the circumstances of how and why the wife fell for the other guy with or without the boy friend's initiative.

fregenfregenover 12 years ago
She could/should have told him in a better way

It was brutal. Then she just vanishes. Pretty cold.<P>

That said it's over. The letter says she fell in love with someone else. Didn't plan on it. Maybe even didn't want it. Did they have sex? Maybe. Does it matter? No. Happens all the time. <p>

In a way she is preversely honest. Odd the way she leaves everything to include clothes and photos of children but maybe she is thinking this is a way to atone for her 'sin.'<P>

Okay, now he knows. It satisfies a need. Now move on. She isn't coming back. If she did want to come back would you want her to? Take the deal and move on.<P>

Thanks for sharing.

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggover 12 years ago
More intrigue then substance ( so far) !

Deal me in for next installment but story BETTER start delivering on it's promise. So far the aftermath is largely the internal ruminations of the narrator . Frankly the wayward wife doesn't sound like she's worth the angst . The way she left was cowardly & callous .

So why get her back ? Still , the words flow very well for a first time effort in this vein. I doubt the questions I asked can be satisfactorily answered but there might be a doozy explanation to be had. Color me 'wary but intrigued' .

BobNbobbiBobNbobbiover 12 years ago
More than why . . .

. . . is what I want to know. Mark may just want to know why Melissa left, but as with any good mystery there are a lot of other questions before getting to the why of things. This has all the feel of a very good story. Mark's confusion feels very real. His girls, remote to him and the story as a whole, just ask unspecific questions but don't have a clue to which way is up either.

JLR tells us in his intro that this is going to be of novel length. If the quality of storytelling holds up to this introduction this could turn out to be another When We Were Married sort of story. I wouldn't mind that at all.

Harryin VAHarryin VAover 12 years ago
parts of this story are really well awful ... other portions dont suck too much

WHY?... as in WHY is he obseesed with this ? I mean on One level I can understand that he NEEDS to KNOW what happened. BUT... there are SERIOUS plot holes here which given the intelligence and reasoning of the husband seem to make No sense.

#1 *** DOES THE WIFE HAVE PARENTS? sisters? brothers? ***

#2 close friends?? surely they Must know SOMETHING.

#3 It is 4 months later... and None of the wife's family and friends know where she is or have heard from her?

Whata moron... expect the Police to show at the door and arrested him for Murder...

#4 WHY hasnt he showed the Letter to the adult children?

how fucking stupid is that? Why not send them a copy or the letter?

Despite what some dumb fuckwit anonymous poster said the wife was NOT honest at all. Telling someone up front "its over drop dead fuck off and die I am out of here"... out of the blue may be DIRECT but her actions are NOT one of honesty.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Great start

Hope you finish this story soon. I hate to be kept hanging.

jasonnhjasonnhover 12 years ago
Good start

I will echo the too long comment and tie that with Rehnquist's comment that you spend too much time in the guy's head. Most people do indeed tend to recycle thoughts, especially when they are upset but it's tedious reading.

As to complaints about focusing on "why" I actually get that. Some people might not care. Others would obsess about it. His wife created a mystery that had a major impact on his life and he can't let it go until he understands it.

The question I have is, with all this thinking, what is he going to do once he finds out? He finds the guy, he talks to the guy's wife, to what purpose? Does he think he might somehow get his wife back? It doesn't seem likely and it doesn't even seem like he wants to. Is it to cause trouble for the mystery guy? How? Supposedly the guy is filing for divorce as well. If so, talking to the guy's wife isn't going to do much.

The answer to the question of his final intent is the key to the value of the whole story. At this point, the only thing I think that would be interesting would be if mystery guy didn't really ask for a divorce and talking to the guy's wife unleashes a pile of pain on the jerk. Something significant needs to come out of the discovery of the guy's identify.

BTW, his daughters deserve a good kick in the ass as well.

Looking forward to more.

bartolobartoloover 12 years ago
This story so far is fine - even great, but.......................

it seems too easy to find the person Melissa fell in love with and left the country with. Which state on the east coast is the story taking place in? I'd think the one with the lowest percentage of very rich people. Also, constructing the facial picture just appears to me to be more difficult that the author suggests.

However, that aside, the story is presented in great detail and has a lasting quality to it. It's a detective story as well as a "Loving (or non-Loving) Wives" story. The author is a superb writer who has begun an intriguing story. I can't wait to read the next chapter.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
very good

Rehnquist, your suggestion is OK but the only other person he really COULD talk to in a dialogue was his wife when she shocked him with her leaving. Not much to say then. She just left and disappeared. He didn't want to explain to his collegues and his children seemed to blaim him in a way. Again, not much to dialogue about. Up to now, a narrative seems just fine.

To Mouse9 : I try to imagine what I would do if that would happen to me. I'm an emotional character, I get angry etc.. but still, if my wife wanted to leave me, I would say OK and go on with my life. What's the point to "fight" when it's all sealed and settled already. I don't consider myself a Don Quichote to fight windmills. Yet, I'm sure deep down I would like to know, if only for my own understanding, where or how it went wrong. That's the why, isn't it.

Back to the story, he should sign those papers a.s.a.p. and send her a note "have a nice life as Mother Theresa in Africa. Now you can have sex, at least if you didn't do it yet. Just beware of AIDS".

SKHPSKHPover 12 years ago
Great story

with a lot of tension. But please don't spread it out too much - the tension that keeps the reader interested might get worn out after too many chapters of Mark's grudge about the betrayal.

For me, there is another "why": if this is really the man in question, why does he run off with Melissa? If her letter is true in this part and there is no sex involved, there must be some magic at work to atract this guy to a housewife obviuosly not in his league.

I'm loking forward to the next postings an give you a credit of 5* - please don't spoil it by overestimating your readers' patience.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
why

Why didn't he just let his daughters read the letter their mother left i know i'm nit picking but come on it can be a great story without being stupid.

StangStar06StangStar06over 12 years ago
I'm loving this

I can hardly wait for the next part. Great job!

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Why? Why NOT?

I have really enjoyed this introduction. I read the comments so far and sort of agree, but my guess is that "Why?" is the logical first question and then it will grow to "Why...did I...? and finally to "How...?

Lots of tension, plenty of dumb things, and focus on "Why?" is very consistent with many folks going through a divorce even a year or more after. He NEEDS to know why? or he will not be able to move on and be relatively assured that the next woman in his life won't do the same.

Really am looking forward to the rest of this, I'm thinking this could become one of the classics.

EXCELLENT

bartolobartoloover 12 years ago
My additional comment

When Melissa tells her husband that she is leaving him to be with someone else maybe what she meant was she was in lover(primarily)with what he does with his billions of dollars, namely, helping families in third war counties lacking in essentials such as food and shelter. Remember that the husband viewed a video on line showing Melissa with several African children while Conrad Miller worked with others.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Why doesn't he do the obvious things?

His wife leaves him without warning. He didn't have a clue. The day she leaves his doesn't look for her or call anyone who knows her? He is apparently wealthy and his primary interest is getting closure. Why wouldn't he hire an investigator to find out what happened to her. She could have been blackmailed and held against her will. It is against the law to travel with a false identity but this housewife supposedly did that and left all of her papers at home.

If she truly left voluntarily, I'd want nothing to do with someone who could so easily abandon her loving husband and children without looking back. On the other hand, if she left involuntarily, she is in trouble and would have trouble coming home on her own.

I didn't have a problem with the internal thinking in this story because of the shock that the main character experienced on her leaving but you didn't give us much of a feel for his wife. Who is she? Is she a moody person who is a good cook and keeps his house clean? What kind of a relationship did she have with him and her kids? Does she have a family? How did they meet? What about their mutual friends?

He is proud of his detective work but didn't learn much. He didn't even confirm the picture with the waitress.

I thought this chapter could have moved a little faster. If you are going to tell the story slowly please don't do it at a couple pages at a time! I look forward to the next chapter!

Thanks for writing.

ILienBagbyILienBagbyover 12 years ago
I hate

writers who hook me with the first chapter of a submission and then leave me with no way of getting on with the story. Please....hurry with the next chapter(s). I do not like the position you have left me in, wondering 'why?', but, unlike the narrator of this tale, there is no searching, no asking, no research I can do to find out why or anything else. Just tell me, please, does the narrator end up in Africa helping his wife and Conrad in their quest to make the world a better place??????? The story is well written, obviously interesting, and certainly done with some psychological acuity.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago

Its a bit wordy in parts, but manageable. The epiphany worked, and the possibilities for the improvement of his life and putting the events in place. Good thus far.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
So far, very good

Good insight into the wreckage of betrayal.

To follow the Judges idea, what kind of relationship does he have with his kids? Maybe they are not that connected.

Maybe with a high pressure sales job he wasn't that in tune with any of them.

Harry in Virginia had a good point, no other family or friends or a confidants for her? Most females have a support network. To take a step like this with only the input of Her

fellow betrayer seems uncharacteristic and a bit selfish even with the motive of self interest. Women walking out of a good family with older kids without an explanation is to my mind a bit far fetched.

Great start, I enjoyed your descriptions and what seemed like honest emotions displayed in this story.

I agree with Stang. Am loving this.

Thanks

digdaddyrichdigdaddyrichover 12 years ago
Quite the mystery

Almost cloak and dagger.

Now that he knows she doesn't need any of his money, signing the divorce papers doesn't really mean a whole lot to her or her lover.

What comes to my mind is; what about the lovers wife Diane? Is she wanting to be rid of the old man, and getting enough money from him that she will be set for life with a younger man?

Will she be willing to talk to our sorrowful husband, and perhaps fill in some information that would make sense to why his wife left him.

No doubt, his soon to be ex-wife, is a selfish bitch, and he is better off without the slut, but realizing that fact is going to be hard for him to live with.

Thanks for the good story

JLRemoraJLRemoraover 12 years agoAuthor

Thank you all for you suggestions, opinions and critique. I did drop the ball on editing the piece, but my editor is now handling the rest of the chapters and she does a far better job than I do. I want to submit, at minimum, one chapter per week. Thus chapter two will be submitted between Friday evening and Sunday evening of this week. I wish I could be more precise, but that's what my editor stated when I asked when she would be done with that chapter.

I wrote this story, at least chapter one, in the first person narrative so to give the reader a idea of what the protagonist is feeling and how his actions (or lack of) are affected by his emotions. It's a sort of baseline for the rest of the story.

The main character will have greater interaction with other characters as the story rolls out, including a substantial increase in dialogue.

Which means other characters, including Melissa and her daughters, will be known a bit better.

One commentator already touched on why the question of "why?" is so important. I think all of us, no matter how callous, unconcerned, and hardened we might appear to others, internally we will always be faced with that particular question if undergoing a similar situation.

I know this story isn't going to please everyone, nor am I trying to. I will write the best I know how, and to stay with the highest quality regarding the story line. That's all I can promise.

If you've stuck it out to this point, please be patient with me a bit longer. I don't think you'll be too disappointed.

I usually write in the military/action genre, so this is new to me, but an interesting change up.

Thanks again.

RL Remora

JLRemoraJLRemoraover 12 years agoAuthor
Correction

I apologize for saying only one commentator addressed the why of it. Actually several have and a few have replied in a similar fashion as I would have.

curioussscuriousssover 12 years ago
Just an aside really for some...

...but without the 'Why?' (and its pursuit) there's no story...!

I take Rehnquist's point about the comparative lack of dialogue, but I thought the solitary ramblings and temporary madness, as portrayed, served well to capture the sheer bewilderment and desperation of finding your love suddenly unrequited and your grief awful lonely, with the pylons of your support system buckling into the quicksand as your wife pisses off and your kids blame you for her split. It doesn't help that the trainee Samaritans watching from the shore aren't really Good enough yet.

Maybe Harry's right, he should have shown his kids the letter, but there's some unnecessary guilt, a gnawing in his gut that he somehow failed her. The narrative seemed to point that way.

As it is, this promising start could lead to a story as convoluted as the major work from another certain author. Mr. Remora has mentioned 20 chapters (with 3 completed) and is from the Deep South - I wondered whether Jacksonville could be included in that galaxy and, if it can be, whether there is a recent predilection for authors thence to write multi-chapter LW stories on the fly. You need intestinal fortitude for that journey sir!

Anyway, I really liked this and I'm looking forward to more.

If this is your first attempt I'm even more impressed. It's well written and I'm hooked!

Thanks

SW_MO_HermitSW_MO_Hermitover 12 years ago
I'm Hooked

...but you need to stay on top of the postings and move along rapidly or I will lose interest. I agree with many of the previous comments. Have him sign the papers NOW then find out why she really left him and check on her new love. Make life as difficult for them as he can as fast as he can and quit crying about the cheating bitch. Burn her and her lover NOW!

Having made the above comments, I will now go on to the praise. You write well and I AM hooked. I enjoyed the first chapter and want more soon. I do believe you were a little wordy about somewhat unimportant events but they may have a bearing on later chapters so...besides, it is your story, go for it.

xtremeddxtremeddover 12 years ago
Who is Janice?

JLR,

Great start.

Thanks for sharing on Lit.

x

JLRemoraJLRemoraover 12 years agoAuthor
Janice or Melissa; Only their hairdresser knows for sure

To clarify:

In the short story, Janice was the original name of the wife, now known as Melissa. I changed some of the characters names when I wrote their histories. When I began writing the first chapter, I pasted and copied parts of the short story into it. Although, I reread the first chapter several times, proofreading and editing, the difference in the names eluded me. An editor, I'm not --apparently.

dcwornockdcwornockover 12 years ago
For a First Story This is Brilliant

I like the way you have carved a story that is different from the others. I am almost tired of reading rewrites of the same story by different authors. Way to go!!

RHinSCRHinSCover 12 years ago
Very Good

It is unclear at this point if daddy long legs needs to be introduced to the spot where Ned Beatty squealed like a pig. It is looking promising though. :)

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Great

Absolutely terrific. Well done Keep writing you have something.

Sidney43Sidney43over 12 years ago
Something wrong

Something is wrong with the Wife's leaving. Clearly she had it all planned out, as the other man was waiting out front for her and away they went. But wait, what if he had gotten into a big argument, wanted to talk to her about it, what would the other man have done then. But, maybe she had a rental car parked down the street and took the opportunity to drive away, sorry can't remember if she left her drivers license or not? I do remember she left credit cards, rings, etc., did she have a passport?

Another thing that does not ring true is the letter. She takes the time to write a letter telling him what a great guy he was and says she will love him forever, but then takes off with another man who she loves more? This is a very confused woman in my mind, who tells her husband he is almost perfect, but she found someone better. That to my mind is not rational, but nothing says everyone is rational all the time.

I really don't understand why he has not tried to immediately contact the Wife of the billionaire to see what is up. He is a salesman so why is he dithering around?

OK, I am hooked, but lots of questions about how the story is developed thus far. Yes, I am keeping in mind the intro that says it is loosely based on reality.

C_frommnC_frommnover 12 years ago
More More!!

Love the story and the Plot. I would probably have signed the Divorce Papers and then Looked her up and messed with her Lover through his Wife.

hodunkhodunkover 12 years ago
Great Story FIVE STARS

Thanks for sharing a great new/Original storyline. Can't wait for following chapters.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Loved it so far.....

Excellent story plot and am looking forward to more.

harbormaster1harbormaster1over 12 years ago
what a read

I am hooked. Great story development. On to Africa for some packback and more...Alienation of Affection against a billionaire giving little African children hope and a clinic...call the National Enquirer we have a story here.

cpetecpeteover 12 years ago
Great start

You got everyone hooked with your fine start. Lots of characters to delve into from the wife to daughter, billionaire-billionaire wife, sitution etc..

As most posters pointed out "Why" the wife left would not matter in real life (move on with your life she is history)-however it makes a great hook for a story. Kudos for taking this tack and roling the "Why" into a whole tale.

Look forward to your chapters

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Good start.

Interesting and good read. Looking forward to follow.

robinsimpson1robinsimpson1over 12 years ago
This guy is a fucken pud knocker

This guys emotions are all over the dame place . Just like a fucken teen age girl . He is a whinney bitch , yes she left that hurts . But for gods sake pull up your balls and live again .Why Why Why Why ,who fucken knows why a woman does any dame thing . Move on

bartolobartoloover 12 years ago
one way the story could go

I think that Melissas main reason for leaving her husband and asking for a divorce is that she does love Conrad Miller. However, I also believe that the reason she loves him is because he is a billionaire who, unlike many billionaires, does not invest all of his monies on Wall Street: rather, he invests in the betterment of lives in third war countries.

Recall that the husband didnt yet sign the divorce papers,

and Melissa has not tried to get him to hurry up and sign. Also, remember that Melissa told her husband that she and her "new man" had not yet had sex and were waiting until after they marry. If you assume that Melissa is truthful here, then why isnt the couple yet married: hasnt it been about a month since Melissa left her husband?

Melissa was a mother and housewife during her marriage. She hadnt done anything special or out of the ordinary. She meets a Billionaire donor at a fund raiser, they become friends, and she see that what he is doing for needy peoples is something she too wishes to do with her life. Then, thanks to some detailed detective work the husband finds a low definition video online which appears to show Conrad Miller speaking to people in a African village, and a women, who might be Melissa, off to the side talking to children.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Interesting story but very frustrating!

I come away from this chapter as confused as Mark the loving husband. She leaves after announcing that she wants a divorce without explanation. She is described as a person who often ignores her husband while caught up in her thoughts. She is a stay at home mom who has been "happily" married for 22 years to a man who thinks he loves her and told her so in words and deeds all the time. Yet she tells her husband not to look at her like that when he is stunned by the news and talks to him like he is a dolt for not understanding the situation that she admits she hid from him for several months.

He wants to know what happened but doesn't share all of his information with his adult daughters who had talked with her and are also confused. He doesn't check with friends or her family. We don't know how she spent her days. We are told that she insisted on having her own cell phone account and not being on the family plan that she paid herself. This is very weird since she doesn't have her own income. Yet the husband thinks nothing of it. How did she leave him? Did someone take her away? Was she coerrced? Her explanation makes no sense. She tells him that he was a great husband, lover and father and that she loves him. She and her lunch time buddy never had sex and he is going to leave his wife and young children for her. She leaves everything behind including her identification and says she is going overseas.

That when she comes back after the divorce she will never see him again.

Why would he begin his investigation by trying to figure out who the man was rather than figuring out what his wife has been up to? Why did it take him a week to open the envelope she left with his name on it to find out what happened? She is either a selfish bitch who fooled him for 22 years or she is in trouble. Why would he not make a missing persons report and/or contact her lawyer and let him know that until he is satisfied that she is ok he is not signing anything? Its been 6 months if the billionaire wanted her divorced they would have motivated him to sign the papers by assuring him or bribing him to set her free. How does he know that she isn't a prisoner in the African jungle?

Please get this story moving. We don't need irrelevant details like a made up story about picking up flyers and janitors. 20 chapters is too long for Why? Are you DQS under a new name? This is too good to be a first time story! I can't wait for the next chapter.

JLRemoraJLRemoraover 12 years agoAuthor
Appreciative

Thanks to everyone for the continued input. Folks have been very constructive with their critique, and I truly appreciate that. For those who don't like the story, I'm sure you'll find other stories more to your liking. Either way, the responses go a long way to motivate me to step up the writing.

At this point, I'm beginning the 5th chapter. I hope to have it finished by the middle of next week. I've passed on the 4th chapter to my editor. Over the phone, her gasping reaction of disbelief to my more timely submission seemed a happy one to me, although her parting comment of "Bite me, asshole!" does have me wondering.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
This has the beginning of a great story....

but the main character comes across as being too needy. The wife's departure seems calculated, cold and designed to cause her the least guilt with no avenue for closure. Why would he want to hold on to a woman like that?

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
not going to vote

until I see the subtitle 'The End'.

AND I can't help the impression that things are not what they seem to be.

There are cues that lead me to doubt.

But I do agree - over 20 chapters do seem excessive.

How often do you plan to update?

I really can't do anything than sit on the fence, right now.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
why....so long to post?

Interesting story. But, if already written, why so long between postings?

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Great Start!

I'm looking forward to reading the rest.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
????

Never mind the why what about the when

was a good story but will have forgotten what it was about by the time we get the next bit

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
I thought...

Part 2 was going to be posted between Fri and Sun. Great start but Im wondering if this if DQS1 incognito.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Who cares?

Another hubby in a vacuum story - nobody knows shit about anything. Of course as long as he doesn't sign the divorce papers she can't have sex with Conrad...right. And what's up with his kids giving him grief over her bailing-out of the marriage - that's just not gonna happen(speaking of which - she has no contact with her kids - c'mon man.) So far you have implausible mixed in with absurd all wrapped up in not likely. Are you sure you can write your way out of this?

Oh wait, wait - I get it; she's a secret agent for the government and has been in deep cover for decades. No, no - I know - she's fallen in with a ufo/human trafficking cult...or maybe

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Why have you not published chapter 2?

You indicated that you had several chapters ready to go. Why have you not published them?

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Why?

Why oh why there has been no Why-02?

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Another?

Great start, sure would like to see the next chapter!

demantoiddemantoidover 12 years ago
WHY....

The fuck are you keeping me waiting, great yarn...really enjoyed it...but losing patience..,please advise...stop....are you in Africa!? Isak Dinasen?...stop. Haight Ashbury, Angela Davis? Stop...Tonga, Amelia Earhart? Stop...Electra, Carmen San Diego?

RePhilRePhilover 12 years ago
Poor loser

Sometimes a loser is just a loser. This husband is the definition of a true loser just rolls over and dies. Well written. Weak characters

ReadTooMuchReadTooMuchover 12 years ago
Next chapter please!

You've sucked us in, please don't leave us hanging.

skipperrskipperrover 12 years ago
Why, indeed?

Three weeks and still no #2, Why? Since you said that subsequent chapters were already submitted for editing, I wonder . . . Why? I'm tired of looking for more. Too bad. Why . . . not.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
next chapter?

Started out as an interesting story and look forward to the next installment. What is taking so long?

likeboblikebobover 12 years ago
another dqs1

you remind me of dqs1 who took a month between postings. i have not even started yours and won't bother if you are posting this infrequently.

FloridaryanFloridaryanover 12 years ago
Where's Part 2?

You write a great part 1 and then nothing for a month WTF

norcal62norcal62over 12 years ago
Another LW hubby who first falls into denial then isolates himself.

So few LW authors have the protagonist involve family and friends in finding out what was going on with the wayward spouse. It makes a disappointing read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Hello?

Anybody home? Your once a week promise is bullshit. It has been over a month and nothing! You stated that ch4 was at editor, and 5 was almost done. Where is 2 & 3??? I hope all is well, and if it is I would like to kick your ass for not posting in a timely manner as advertised. GRRRRRRR.

ResolverResolverover 12 years ago
There is hope

JLRemora has left a (new - well a few weeks ago) message on his Author's Home Page.

Look at the "Biography" tab.

Perhaps his editor (if she is a Literotica member) could give us an update?

Or maybe throw us a chapter or two.

dustydingodustydingoover 12 years ago
I wish you well

Hoping you are alright and wishing you a speedy recovery from your accident.

look forward to your next chapters when they are done.

curioussscuriousssover 12 years ago
Author, I'm sorry to read of your accident...

...and hope you make a complete recovery from what ails you.

The most important thing is for you to get well - never mind what anyone else says!

Best Wishes to yourself and your family.

N

Glenda_FiddichGlenda_Fiddichover 12 years ago
Intriguing!

Wanted to say a lot here but most covered by other commentators.

Super stuff.

A full and speedy recovery Author!

I have to say you have a lot of work to explain the puzzles presented. E.g. how DOES an ordinary housewife meet a billionaire? Do billionaires have lunch in ordinary bar/cafes? Remember 24 hr security teams.

Am I imagining an implied threat in the letter? This passage: "I hope you don't decide to fight this. I know you well enough to know you'll try, but please don't. It'll only delay the inevitable while causing added grief to you, and perhaps the children, too."

"I'll return when we are divorced. However, I won't be seeing you again. I've purposely not mentioned who I'm with, because it would only cause trouble for you if you decide to do something before the divorce."

The truth is the letter disturbs me greatly! The stuff about spouse rather than wife. A red herring?

What kind of love is it that even unconsumated leads to such disregard for children, not to mention loving husband? E.g (on the children): "I would like to stay in touch with them, but that would be their choice. "

A few months sneaking around leads to that? Is she lying about the lack of consumation? Why bother; she must know the grief and pain she is causing and how callous she is behaving anyway.

Why the hiding? He's a billionaire - they can hide in plain sight. Africa? A charity? Surely his wife could track him there. On tv. So he is hiding in plain sight anyway. Is he even getting divorced? Is the hiding only from Mark? Conrad didn't change his identity!

How about this line:

"I'll return when we are divorced." Why stay out of the country until the divorce. How would Mark even know? Come to think of it - why tell him she was going overseas anyway? Is Mark a threat in some strange way? Is Melissa trying to tell him something?

I'm not trying to nitpick author! As I said: INTRIGUING!

Nevertheless, the above are just some of the reasons I'd like to know WHY.

To Mark:

If the crap about not sullying it is true then fight the divorce tooth and nail. Leave them in Africa as long as possible. Let them 'sullly' their love. File missing persons. Habeus corpus. Illegal international travel. Media exposure that the 'NOBLE' Conrad is travelling with a married woman.

Irritants only perhaps but still... Take the smallest satisfaction that you weren't just a poodle and rolled over for their sordid 'love'.

Jeeze, and I used to laugh at the commentators who over-analyze. Lol.

You've got me, Author. Highest respect.

M

DunaDunaover 12 years ago
I hope the Author heals up and writes the second chapter

Interesting story, but I thing the character should step through the wife's shadow. I hope the aim of the writer this direction with a newer connection(s).

BTTapBTTapover 12 years ago
Waiting and wondering

I feel like the protagonist-waiting and wondering.

Eager for our author to heal up and get Ch. 02 posted.

Part of what makes this such a compelling story are the apparent contradictions. The letter seems to be saying something in its subtext. I cannot figure it out exactly. Hubby has figured some of it out, and it has lead him to knowing who the other man is, and where his wife is. The rest is unclear to me. I am baffled.

I feel that the set-up is so enticing that the resolution could never do it justice. But, I want to see the author try, nonetheless.

Feel better, JLRemora.

RHinSCRHinSCabout 12 years ago
JL

I hope my fellow statesman is doing well. Godspeed.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago

is there more?

cantbuymycantbuymyabout 12 years ago
where the hell is the rest of it

just wondering.

cantbuymycantbuymyabout 12 years ago
ok this is too easy

husband buys add space in paper publishes the letter wife wrote with a picture of her in africa with conrad - rich people always have their picutes taken and from the news too - under the banner CONRAD STOLE MY WIFE - with a line about he thinks no one knows where she is and he got her to leave all of her id here - so i am worried if he is going to bury his cheating in africa. that will get attention. copies of add to inquiror and every major newspaper and dont forget the french ones, they think they own africa and love to publish sex stories. then you burn the bitch down when she get home. lets not forget the alienation of affection lawsuit. you can serve that by publication you dont need to personally hand it to him. hey maybe he has buried lots of women in foreign places - especially if he sells them into the white slave business. but getting her back to America and into court - no fucking problem.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
BUMP!

Update? Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
Author never intended to finish this story

It is clear from his comments that this story was written to evoke comments not to be finished. He can't finish it because it makes no sense.

jmiller2524jmiller2524about 12 years ago
Not his story!

I do not think that JLRemora wrote this story thus he has no way of ending the story to anyone's satisfaction.

tazz317tazz317about 12 years ago
WHY BABY WHY

and there are no answers. TK U MLJ LV NV

cantbuymycantbuymyabout 12 years ago
i am going to write the ending

but different than the one i posted here a few comments back.

saratusaratuabout 12 years ago
An unfinished story,,,,,,,

isn't a story at all, it's writing that is not going nowhere at all.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveabout 12 years ago
Come On Now

So far you've written an excellent beginning for a potentially classic tale. I see many twists and turns evolving in the quest to find the answer to 'WHY."

WELL???

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
Benedict

the fattest cock is smoked, the cornhole is buggered, betrayed!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
Will someone finish this story?

This story popped up as related to DQS' latest. I think that the author never intended to finish it. It gathered a lot of interest but then nothing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
Why? not finish the story?

A good start but like many writers, they paint them self into a corner.No way and no plan..

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
It would of been 5 stars but leaving it unfinished it comes 1 star.

Absolutely great start and writing style. BUT, leaving the ending as is is totally unacceptable and fully worthy of 1 star!

chytownchytownalmost 12 years ago
Send In The Clowns!!!

We have just been taken!!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
mmmm

Ok so you report your up to chapter 5 so unless your writing with a crayons on colours paper I think its time to get a new editor .

8 months to edit 4 chapters just not on I all so see you have been ill and are sorry to hear that and wish you a speedy recovery but come on how much would it take to click "upload" and give us the next few chapters .

The input and comments might even make you feel a little better

Wishing you a speedy recovery ......

RTnTNRTnTNalmost 12 years ago
Get Well Soon, JLR

Hope your feeling better, JL. Excellent bait you've dangled, this first installment of Why?. OK, we're hooked. Some of us are flopping wildly, others a little calmer, but we're all on your line. When you can, give us a little slack and throw us another chapter. Great start and thx. RTnTN

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
i hate anonymous

Not being a Literotica user I must use the anonymous title although it deadens my soul. In all my browsings through Literotica I am constantly amazed at the standard of writing of so many authors. I am eagerly awaiting the next episode of Why, please do not keep me waiting.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
I am at a loss

I liked your story, Why?// but you have left us hanging for 9 months, are you ever going finish it????

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous