Why Won't You Commit?

Story Info
A young man's trek to beating the system and overcome.
25.4k words
54.6k
147
110
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Kalimaxos
Kalimaxos
1,952 Followers

This story is the property of the writer Kalimaxos.

Any unauthorized reproduction or reprint without the express authorization of the author is strictly prohibited.

Like real life, it's often a shitshow.

Warning: You are in an erotica site reading peoples' smut. No one. And I mean, NO ONE needs to hear your judgmentalism, hateful comments or rude reviews. I moderate comments and remove anything I find in that manner. And if you post violent and or hateful comments, you will be reported. (And LIT doesn't like to keep around people who do that.) So just read or not.

***

Why won't you...

"Luke, why won't you commit to a nice girl and have some kids?"

Yeah, Luke. Why won't you commit? Why not find a nice girl, fall in love, and father kids? After all, men have been doing so through the ages. Right? Be a good boy and commit. Shudder!

"We hereby commit his body to the deep."

Commit! That word again. The bane of my existence. And I am not talking about making a commitment to something of importance with your word as your bond. Although, that is what is expected in all "commitment" cases.

To me, the word meant one and one thing only back then: submission.

Surrender all control of my life to someone else. You may think I am paranoid. But I knew well enough for the hair on the back of my neck to stand each time I heard that word.

So hear my story.

***

Family dinner

"Luke, why won't you commit to a nice girl and have some kids?"

There my mother repeated it, again! Like nails scratching a blackboard! I must have heard that from her a thousand times in the last two years. And it was grating on my nerves. It wasn't a question. It was a statement, and order, a demand.

My name is Luke Stanton. Son of Joyce and William Stanton. Brother of Amber Stanton-Boyce. I'm single, and my sister is not. She is married to Reggie Boyce, and they have two children. Maggie, five, and Anna, three. So yeah, I'm the unmarried uncle, son, and brother.

"Again, with that, mom?" I roll my eyes.

"You're not getting any younger, mister," mom replies as she picks up little Anna and gives her a hug and kiss.

Maggie gets jealous and runs to me for a hug. What can I say? I'm a sucker for my nieces. They are both so cute and innocent. Womanhood at its finest. Once they grow up, it's all downhill from there.

"Let him be Joyce," my dad says as he smiles at the scene of my nieces cuddling up to uncle Luke and Grandma Joyce. "How are you, son?"

"I'm just fine, dad," I reply as Maggie decides she wants a hug from grandpa. And just like that, I become yesterday's lunch to her.

'Another symbolic moment,' I think to myself as I look at little Maggie. 'And so it begins.'

"Let me guess," he says as he takes Maggie in his arms. "Mom hassling you about still being single?"

"You got it," I reply as my mother shakes her head at us.

"What happened to that girl Sherry you were seeing?" Amber snickers.

"Amber," Rob, my brother in law tries to intervene on my behalf.

But my sister just waves him off dismissively as she waits for me to answer.

"It's been over for a few weeks," I reply, hoping they stop the interrogation.

"Who broke it off?" Mom asks.

Amber scoffs as she stares at me. I can see Reggie shaking his head with disapproval. Most likely, of the way, our women are pushing the issue. My dad doesn't like it either but nods to me for reassurance.

"I did," I reply as mum shakes her head, and my sister chuckles.

"What was it this time?" my mother asks. "She seemed like a nice girl."

"Same as always," Amber cut in. "He got scared and ran."

"Why?" Mom asked.

"Blame her," I said, pointing to my sister.

"Me! What did I do?" Amber protested.

"It's you and your profession," I replied. "The culture people like you have created."

"Divorce lawyer?" she feigned shock. "My profession has made you incapable of committing to a woman?"

She looked around at everyone and laughed. I noticed a few polite smiles, but no one joined my annoying sister in her display of mirth.

"Remember that story you told us last time we got together?"

Amber had a puzzled look, but my dad knew the one as he shook his head and let my niece run away from him. Her attention now focused on her stuffed animal.

"Refresh my memory," my sister replied, sitting on the kitchen table. The rest of us followed as mom poured coffee.

"You told us about the wife you represented in her divorce proceedings. She had an affair and decided to divorce her husband, yet still got the house, the kids, and child support. Remember now?"

"That sounds like most my cases, Luke," Amber snickered.

I noticed that her husband winced at that. He was obviously not a fan of his wife's methods.

"Exactly, Amber," I replied. "They are all the same. The wife gets everything, while the ex-husband gets the shaft. He loses his kids, their home and has to pay child support. Not to mention the mortgage of the house he doesn't live in. The wife often has cheated and gets to bring her boyfriend or boyfriends in the house where the kids live. You must be so proud of yourself."

You could cut the tension in the room with a knife as Amber and I stared at each other with cold eyes. Neither giving in.

"You are right. I am proud of my work," she replied, leaning in. "I make sure that the legal system upholds women's rights...."

"At the expense of the fathers," I rebutted. "And the kids."

Amber sneered at me.

"You are living in the past, Luke. The fifties are over, and so is the patriarchy."

It was my turn to scoff. Patriarchy. It meant the rule of society by men. The go-to word of feminists and man-haters in our modern times. According to them, everything wrong in women's lives was caused by men and their patriarchal rule. But patriarchy ended way before any of us in the room were born. Now it was just a myth the feminists used to justify their man hatred.

"Oh, spare me the neo-feminism lectures. You make money off the destruction of families."

"You are right," she snapped back. "Plenty of money. More than you. The days of a male-dominated society are over brother dear. It's time you accept it."

"Oh, but I have, dear sister. You made sure of that."

She looked back at me quizzically. Not sure where I was going with my point.

"You and all the stories you tell us about your legal prowess has made me realize that marriage is a sucker's bet for a man. Let's say I do find someone and get married. Eventually, we have a kid or two, and then she is in the driver's seat legally while I have nothing but liabilities. If she decides the marriage is over, I lose everything while she gets everything. Do I have it wrong?"

She didn't reply, just stared at me with a slight smirk.

"If I do want to have children, I have to submit to your... matriarchal system. How is it called these days? Oh yeah... fem-dom. Feminist domination."

"We are merely making the playfield even," she spat back.

"Bullshit!" I replied. "Your kind controls the system. In modern marriage, there are no consequences for a woman if she cheats on her husband. No legal penalty. So, the system practically encourages it."

"A woman is finally in charge of her sexuality," Amber shot back.

"Oh, she is in charge, alright," I replied. "The minute she has a child with a man, his life is in her hands. And no matter what she does, your legal system is on her side. So, tell me again why I should submit? Excuse me... commit?"

"Luke," mom cut in. "So what? You are never going to get married because a woman may take you to the cleaners?"

"OK, mom, since you asked. It is quite clear from all my lawyer sister says that the law is on a wife's side in marriage. She can cheat, and the kids go to her, so does the house, and the husband has to move out, pay child support, and the mortgage until the kids are eighteen. With close to fifty per cent of marriages failing and women asking for that divorce seventy per cent of the time, what man in his right mind would get married? Why would he jump off that cliff when that is what he has to look for down the road?"

"So that's it?" Mom asked. "You quit? You will never get married and have children?"

"As things are right now, marriage for me is out of the question."

"You are a coward," Amber scoffed.

"I'm a pragmatist," I replied and picked up my keys. "See you guys next week."

And with that, I left the weekly family dinner gathering.

***

How I got there

Things for young men of my age group were bleak when it came to marriage and having children. I had seen married friends, neighbours, coworkers, and even an uncle go through it.

You could say I was somewhat paranoid but definitely jaded. But after all the men I had seen burned by women and the system, I was very wary of marital entanglements. The thought of having a child that a woman would take from me was something I just could not fathom.

I understood that some men had used women in the past. That some of these "men" had ditched their wives. Usually for another woman. And quite often, with the children of the ex-husband to raise on with minimal support. But that was then, or other men, not me.

The politicians had overreacted, as they often do to fix a problem. But then they realized how easily they could buy women's votes by extending the divorce rules to appease them. That some of those male politicians became victims of the laws they voted for was poetic justice that did nothing for men like me who were not responsible. To the system, men were guilty of child abandonment even before they sired any.

My sister had quite the point in saying I should face reality. And the fact was that wedding vows these days were meaningless. In those vows, a man and woman promised to be sexually exclusive to one another. To forsake all others and look for sex only from their spouse. And that meant the wife's husband would sire the children.

That the children would be the wife's was not in doubt. As for the men, they are left to wonder if the children are theirs. Seeing the amount of cheating, divorce, and paternity disputes during divorces, I could not bring myself to "commit" to a woman without reservation. And I had good reason to.

I wasn't always this jaded. In my younger days, I as well had bought into the whole marriage myth. I had a small taste of it with my ex Lyn. She and I had been married a year when she was in a car accident. The police came to me at work and took me to the hospital. She was in a coma. Then they dropped a bomb on me. Instead of being at work, as she had me believe, she had taken a day off to spend with some guy I didn't know. She had been in his car when they found her, with part of his cock in her mouth.

Her parents had the nerve to ask me not to be quick to judge and divorce her. As if she was going to explain a severed cock in her mouth as accidental? When she came out of the coma six months later, I had left our apartment, her parents had her things, and she was served with divorce papers. The police report was prominently on top of the paperwork. She did not contest and never tried explaining to me why. Nor did I need to know or asked. The truth was self-evident.

But I had been lucky. Why, you say, after that debacle?

Because we had no children. All we had to divide were some things and our joint bank account. If we had offspring, my situation would have been catastrophic. Since then, I have trusted no woman. Sex for me meant condoms and no drinking where I could lose control and forget to use one.

***

Mindy

Yet while weary of women, I could not do without female company. You could say I was doomed to pet the tiger that wanted me for a meal. Or that my small head kept winning the argument with the one on my neck.

Once again, I found a semi-regular girlfriend. Mindy. Cute, pleasant, and sexy. After a couple of months, she wanted to go exclusive, but I refused. That was step one to engagement and then marriage. Six months into the relationship, she was starting to talk the "C" word: commitment.

I liked Mindy. The sex was good. Not perfect, but passable. I kept thinking about something an old mentor had said to me that was relevant.

"A woman will give a man her best... before she marries him," he had said, emphasizing the word "before."

Thinking of that, I realized that Mindy's best was lacklustre. When or more likely, IF we married, things would not get better. They never do. So, no exclusivity and no commitment. But Mindy had other ideas. She backed off the "commitment" talk and even requesting exclusivity.

Instead, I saw an increased effort from her sexually. She exhibited a willingness to have and initiate sex as well as try all kinds of new things. She deep throated me and swallowed my cum. Then she offered me her ass. This was a totally different woman from the Mindy I knew.

"Mindy?" I finally asked. "What brought on these changes?"

"Do you like the new me?" she asked.

"Sure, but I don't understand the change. What brought this on?"

"I talked to a good friend of mine. She is older and divorced. She told me that life is short. Too short to waste holding back. I think I was losing you with my ways, and I don't want to. Plus, it's been fun, hasn't it?"

"Yes, it has," I replied.

"Good," she smirked suggestively. "So, let's do more. Let's have fun. As much fun as we can."

And we did. So much so that I forgot all about marriage, commitments, and all I feared. Not having the pressure of marriage over my head, I finally managed to relax. We didn't move in or talk of exclusivity, but we sure spent a lot of time together.

We flew to a nudist resort in the Caribbean and even enjoyed some swapping with two other couples. She was not my wife or even my fiancé, so I was not jealous when she went off with the other guys on consecutive nights, and I enjoyed the charms of their wives.

We had fun for a week, then flew home. Both of us were quiet on the first leg of our flight. Then as we sat together, waiting for the connecting flight, Mindy turned to look at me.

"Are you mad at me?" she asked with concern.

"Why would I be?" I asked.

"Well, what we did... at the resort."

"Well, I was not playing with myself when you were with the other guys Mindy. Their wives kept me company."

I saw her flinch, but she nodded, saying nothing for a minute or so.

"Would you want to do it again?" she asked.

"Maybe someday," I replied.

She said nothing at that, but I could tell she wanted to. 'Here it comes,' I said to myself. And it did.

"Well, I had fun," she said. "I want to do it again. I think they have swing clubs back home. I think it would be good for us to keep doing it. What do you think?"

"Mindy," I replied. "We're not married, engaged, or even exclusive. You can just date other people if that's what you want."

Yeah, I actually blurted that out. You can imagine, it didn't go well with Mindy. When we returned, she took an uber to her place, and I drove my car home. So that you know, we had gone to the airport together when we flew out. But, we left apart.

I didn't hear from her for a few days. Then she showed up at my house after work one day.

"Luke," she said. "We have to talk."

Here we go, I thought and sat back, waiting for the shoe to drop.

"I get it. You had trouble with women before, and you have trust issues."

"I might," I replied.

"In some ways, I agree with you."

"You do?"

"Look, Luke. I get it. You were cheated on. I can't imagine how that must have hurt."

"You are right," I replied. "As a woman, you don't know what that is like for a man. Just like I can't understand what it would be like for a woman. But I'm over it."

"No, you're not," she replied. "You think all us women are like your ex. But we're not."

"You have it wrong," I reply. "I don't know if you are or are not like my ex. But..."

"But what?"

"Down the road, you could be."

"What!" she recoiled. "How can you say that?"

"Look, Mindy, just hear me out."

She said nothing, but I could tell she felt insulted by what I had said. Still, she let me continue.

"It's not what you think now. You are a decent woman and think you are and will be. But once you have children with me and you realize the options available, you will, at best, consider those options. And if those children are mine...."

"If! What do you mean if?" she snapped back indignantly. "What do you take me for?"

"If they are mine," I continued. "That is something I cannot take the chance on. The possibility of you deciding to end the marriage and take them from me."

"Why would I do that?"

"Because you could. And if you did, it will be because there are no consequences to you as a wife and mother if you do. The legal system will give you the kids, our home, and I will have to move out. I will be forced by the court to pay the mortgage and child support. In this state, I will be forced to pay child support for the kids even if I prove they are not mine."

She stayed quiet for a few seconds in shock.

"Where did you get all this?" she exclaimed.

"My sister is a divorce lawyer," I said. "I've heard it all before from her. She brags about how she and the legal system shaft fathers in divorce. If you were to look at how the system is set up, Mindy, you would understand."

"So that's it?" she said with sadness. "You are telling me that there is no hope for us? No matter what life you and I choose to live? That you think I am a timebomb waiting to go off and use you?"

"Mindy, let me ask you a question."

She shook her head in anger but let me go on.

"When you have children someday, will you love them?"

"What kind of question is that! Of course I would."

"So would I," I said. "I would not be just a sperm donor."

"A sperm donor..." she said, not finishing the sentence.

"If you decide to divorce me, that will be all I will have become, and my kids no longer mine. Their family will be broken up. Those future kids Mindy," I paused for effect, "they deserve to have a father in their life. Not a visitor twice or once a month."

"I can't believe this," she said, shaking her head and walked out.

'Another relationship written off,' I thought.

But Mindy was not done with me. She kept visiting me and asking me to get together. Having had "the talk," I figured she had accepted what I had to offer and wanted to continue. The topic never came up for conversation. We dated, and that was it. I had a couple of other prospects I asked out and had fun with. I assume Mindy did as well. I never asked.

She and I went out for a weekend to a lake. It was fun to ride bikes, rent a boat, and dance at a local club by this college not far. The last night before coming home, we had what was probably our best sex ever under the cabin skylight.

She wore sexy matching black underwear, stockings, red high heels, and red lipstick. By the time she was done sucking me off, she had left lipstick marks on my groin at the base of my cock. When I went to the bathroom briefly, I noticed. And to be honest, I was impressed.

Inspired by Mindy, I stepped it up a notch that night and did everything I knew she liked. From foreplay, the way I knew she preferred, to oral, and then more. We had sex all over the room, standing, laying on the bed, on the chairs, the rug by the fireplace, and the couch. We thought of going outside, but the freezing rain stopped that notion. We woke in the middle of the night and fucked again. Then she asked me to take her anally the way she preferred, on her back. It was an unbelievable night.

After we took a shower, we returned to bed and held each other as the fireplace sparks illuminated the room and our bodies. Later on, I woke to Mindy's mouth on my hardness. She didn't suck me off. She made love to me with her mouth slowly as she looked into my eyes in a way I will never forget.

Kalimaxos
Kalimaxos
1,952 Followers