Wife's Hall Pass

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Please Josie I'll try. Don't even think about leaving. I would be lost without you. I don't like the person I am either, but I don't know what to do. I tried counseling. Hell I even tried drinking, but neither one worked. Tell me what I can do?"

"It's really pretty simple Nevada. There is an ancient Chinese proverb that says, 'A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step.'"

"What the hell does that mean though, really?"

"It means just start by being nicer."

With that Josie patted him on his chest, kissed him lightly on the lips and got up out of bed and went in to the bathroom take a shower. She always did that after sex even though Nevada asked her not to. He loved the way she smelled and he never wanted it to go away.

Nevada was frustrated and was going to lash out at Josie for being so obtuse but he wisely decided against it. Start by being nicer, what a load of crap. He knew he had to do something, he couldn't risk losing Josie, he just couldn't. He knew she was the only thing keeping him from stepping into the abyss.

Two days later Nevada was no closer to resolving his problems. Josie and Suzanne both acted the same as they always had and nothing more was said about their conversations. He was looking forward to this evening's Sunday night dinner though because Steve had a weekend pass and was going to be able to join the family.

Nevada and his sons were enjoying a drink and quiet conversation while Josie and Suzanne got dinner ready to serve. "Guys dinner is ready!" Josie called out.

They all lumbered their way to the dining room and headed for their usual spots. Isn't it funny how families always have assigned seating for meals? Nevada and Josie always sat at the opposite head end places, the boys on the left and Suzanne on the right next to Josie. Nevada noticed there were six settings instead of five. He just assumed one of the kids had a guest coming which happened a lot even though Nevada bitched about the added cost.

That's when he saw Suzanne leading Pilar, who was still using a cane to get around, into the dining room. His instinct was to get up and leave, but Suzanne pushed him back down into his seat. She helped Pilar sit in the chair next to him, and then took her sat herself. Pilar never joined them for a meal. Nevada demanded that it be that way. You could have heard a pin drop. Nevada felt his face flush as his anger started to bubble over once again. He saw his entire family staring at him. Pilar was just looking down at her plate.

"Th, th, thanks for inviting me to, to, to Join you, for din, din, dinner Nevada." One of the many issues Pilar was still dealing with was her speech control.

He didn't fully understand it but the doctors had told him in layman's terms that the head trauma had created a disconnect between her brain and vocal chords. She had been working with a speech therapist for a couple of years and it was gradually improving.

Nevada stared ruthlessly, his eyes shooting daggers at Josie, then Suzanne. He now knew this was the intervention he had been anticipating. Their eye contact never broke from his, they were as resolute as he. He just gave a slight shake of his head. Just start by being nicer.

"I'm glad you could join us tonight Pilar. I notice that your speech is improving."

"Yes it, it is, I, I, thin, I think."

Nevada reached over and gave Pilar a quick pat on the hand and a brief smile. He felt his anger starting to melt away.

He looked around the table at the co-conspirators, Nevada couldn't be sure if they were smiling at him or giving him an I told you so smirk. Except for Steven, he obviously wasn't in on it because he sat frozen in place with a fork full of food halfway into his mouth and his eyes were wide with shock at what just took place. In fact no one was talking or moving.

Josie broke the uncomfortable silence. "You know Pilar, now that you will be joining us regularly for meals I think it's time you helped us prepare them." Josie looked at Nevada with an expression that screamed 'go ahead I dare you.' I know you used to love cooking. You seem to be moving about quite well. What do you think, are you up to it?"

Pilar didn't answer but quickly glanced at Nevada.

"I think that's a great idea Pilar, you're part of the family and everyone needs to pitch in. If you are feeling up to it, you should do it," chimed in Nevada. It was like someone flipped a light switch and his animosity was gone. Just start by being nicer.

Tears welled up in her eyes and she reached over and placed her hand gently on Nevada's and he gave it a quick squeeze in return.

"Oh, oh, okay I, I will."


Share this Story

Similar Stories

A Promise Made, A Vow Broken No such thing as a hall pass when it comes to wedding vows.in Loving Wives
Closing Time for Our Marriage Wife wants to feel the passion again.in Loving Wives
My Wife wants to Date Other Men My take on the "Honey we have to talk" story.in Loving Wives
An Unexpected Reaction To an unacceptable situation.in Loving Wives
Double or Nothing Pt. 01 Terry comes home and finds his wife and daughter gone.in Loving Wives
More Stories