Winding Creek Pt. 08 - Enactment

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Judge Pickett's ears perked up at Lucas's inability to find the letter he had in his possession. Maybe... He chose his words carefully.

"Perhaps a public inquest... Call a few witnesses, you and who ever to testify to the why and the facts of just what happened. We can test the town's feelings and then decide if a trial will be necessary."

The Judge leaned back in his chair.

"As far as the deed transfer, it can be handled quietly after a posting at Nelson's and the Livery, maybe the Barber n Bath. Make sure everyone sees them. A posting in the Independence Dailly is something we should consider..."

The two men talked the law through another two cups of coffee n some of the special eggs that Helga made for Miss Tart. The Judge forgot the trouble lingerin' close until Lucas asked about his, and Gretchen of course. Lucas noted the change in Judge Pickett's demeanor.

"I am thinking of asking the good widow to marry me Lucas after the devorce from my wife is finalized. There is however a problem that we need to discuss."

Luke hoped the Judge was going to share the same problem that Tom Trombley, her brother-in-law had shared: That Gretchen Billings was set on having Lucas killed.

"You know I've taken a shine to that girl Lucas. She makes me feel special again. I'd like nothing more than to live out my last days here in Winding Creek, working like we have together..."

The Judge folded his hands on the table between the two men.

"...Try as I might, the girl still holds a hate for what happened between you and her husband... And her brother for that matter. We all know that you acted in self-defense with Billings and what happened with her brother was pretty much the same."

The Judge looked down at his hands.

"I've done everything I can Lucas. If you'd like, I am willing to take her elsewhere... Live out our lives quietly far, far away. I'm not sure what you and Charles Taylor have planned, but I would very much like to be part of it."

He looked back into Lucas Blake's paled green eyes.

"I do not want to die alone Lucas."

The younger man was pleased that his friend Horace had finally told him what he already knew. He thought it were just emotion that he left out the part on how the girl wanted him dead. He didn't like it; but he understood.

He also knew Pickett had lied to him about knowin' Charles Taylor. The whys were no longer important. Whatever plans Lucas had were now his alone. They were pretty much the same as what he n J.D. had talked about before his illness and Luke had secured his brothers agreement to assist in whatever way he could.

Yet that was then n this was now. He and Charles had talked statehood. Talked the coming railroad. He knew the Taylor's were men of their word. He needed the man sittin' across of him. At least for the foreseeable future. 'Make sure you're ninety percent sure'... Lucas was well past that.

He reached across the table n covered Judge Picketts folded hands with his own.

"I'll leave that decision to you, my friend. Just please, let me know when the smoke clears on what we have to do now."...

----------------------------------------------------- 0 -------------------------------------------------------------

The widow Gretchen Seasons Bilings brushed her light brown hair once more in the old mirror that still hung on the wall in her n Horace's sometimes room. She put on the dress that she'd worn just yesterday to the home she was raised in. She'd worn it special for the Judge. Pinchin' her cheeks, she brought some color to her face, slipped on her worn shoes n headed to the main house.

She'd gone too far. Debra Ann knowd. Knowd it all. Didn't matter now...

She lightly tapped on the door, hoping that maybe Debra Ann would come n whisper she'd changed her mind. Debra Ann didn't, winkin' as she let the younger woman into the house.

"You look real nice Gretchen, thank you."

Luis was sittin' in the same chair he'd fallen' asleep in the night before.

"Hello to ya Gretchen. You git the house settlet next door?"

The widow n paramour smiled, wishin' the Laudanum she finished before droppin' the empty bottle into the out house's open seat would take hold quicker. She waited to long to the finish it.

"Pretty much Luis. I might've finishet but Debra Ann askt me to join you two for dinner."

Luis Tee lookt close at the Judge's paramour, hair polishet n wearin' her cleaned n hot ironed dress. He could plainly see she had nothing underneath it as her nipples slowly made their appearance through the checkered material. Lookin' at his intended bride, he could see the determination in her light blue eyes. He smiled as he reached for the glass bottle set in the middle of the table.

"It's been a long day for all of us. Maybe we can share a drink n see what tha evenin' might bring."

Debra Ann smilet at her future husband and then winked at the widow Billings. Gretchen smiled in return.

"Maybe you two can help me forget how the Judge has left me here... All alone???

She looket dierectly at the man she was havin' to please this early evenin'. Luis slow fillet her teacup with the best alcohol he owned. Well, that n a little of his home brew mixed in...

-------------------------------------------------------- 0 --------------------------------------------------------

Sally Tart tried to remain calm, lady like, as she passet the Judge n set Lucas's coffee cup in front of him. She hated the Judge. Hated the things Mike McCarthy had made her let him do to please the filthy old letch. Thankfully it had only been one time, two very long days when she first arrived. She shuddered thinkin' of what else he might be capable of.

It were a gift from God that the handsome man she just discussed her life with arrived in Winding Creek several weeks after the Judge had returned to Independence.

Everything had changed after Lucas Blake killt Jack Seasons. She remembered the rushed gatherin' of Mike, Mathew Billings, Al Stewart n Bill Nelson... Even Sherriff Rivers was there.

She let the air from somewhere deep inside slip slowly through her lips. Irish Mike McCarthy had changed his way with her when it happened. She'd spent most nights n sometimes afternoons in his bed, if not tending to his needs, waiting until he wanted her to in some way or another. Then after Mathew Billing's slow departure from this earth, he was even moodier, often havin' her use just her mouth on his limp pecker as he complained about every one n every little thing. He drank a bit more, often slappin' her for no reason other than his own short commin's.

The Judge had spent little time at the Nail after Mathew Billings death. While still staying at the hotel, he spent his free time with Sheriff Rivers and then with Lucas Blake. That pissed off Irish Mike even more. He'd sent her to the judge's room often during his stays, his instructions plain. She didn't like it... But she knew the decision to deny Mike would cause far more pain and hurt.

The Judge would smile and slowly run his eyes over her as he wetted his thin lips. It were almost as humiliating as what he'd done to her in the to recent past.

"Maybe next time I visit Sally. I certainly miss that tite little pussy of yours, but I have other matters to attend to just now."

She wouldn't move when he'd reach out to cup her breast or tug roughly on her fear tightened nipple. Once he even had her suck on his fingers while standing in the hall outside his room, his fingers closing hard on the tip of her breast: bastard that he was.

Lucas had told her earlier to think about what she wanted to do with herself. She could stop whoring... Even leave if she chose. She owed nothing to him as the new owner. But there was something in the way he listened close to her as she shared what she'd heard during the meeting he'd set and then left after he made his thinking clear... Something in his eyes as he wanted to know her thoughts on what was said. How she believed each man might be thinking as they savored the fine liquor she served: the way they looked n how they treated her.

It reminded her of how Isaac would talk with her after they'd spend 'intimate' time with some close acquaintance or another married couple. Sometimes her husband would steal away n watch from outside their small home instead of just being there while she did whatever he expected of her. Then he'd make her tell him in detail afterwards about how she felt n what she liked or didn't like with whoever he had her to sleep with. He wanted her to be explicit when telling him, asked her to use the most vulgar words she knew and some that he taught her. Tits. Cock. Pussy. Cum. A harsh 'Fuck' were his favorite.

It was odd at first, a man sharing his wife's charms. Yet it seemed a small price to pay for her escaping the hard life he had taken her away from. No more calloused hands or sore back... No more working from sunup til sundown in the fields or garden or having to gathering this or that... Always having supplies n food n a warm, dry place to sleep and eat it.

He'd touch himself, stroking his 'cock' as he'd have her tell him while he brushed her hair or enjoyed her body. She never knew where it might lead to, where he'd choose to leave his final excitement. Her mouth. Her breasts. Sometimes deep inside.

She finally had to leave him soon after spending the night with Jeremy Wilkenson to secure a job at Wilkenson & Sons. She quickly learned that Isaac was to travel... Extensively. He hadn't been gone a day, her kissing his cheek at the steamboat n waving goodbye that she found his new 'friend' Jeremy at their home.

She tried several times, but knew when he'd brought a whore from the local parlor for her to spend an 'evening' with that things were going to get bad... Very bad. He was an evil man, his demands far more deviant then even her husbands.

She'd pawned a few things n with the allowance Isaac had left her, boarded a steamboat and finally settling in Independence. The rest as they say, is history.

Now as she finished her breakfast, she thought about what Lucas Blake had offered her...

---------------------------------------------------------- 0 ----------------------------------------------------------

Debra Ann guided the small carriage under the old sycamore. Tying the reins taught to the carriage's front, she slow walked over to where her husband and their only son rested. Though her sons grave were only now barely marked, she paused and wished him a good mornin'. Then she pulled a few weeds around J.D.s stone marker and stood tall next to it, her head bowed.

"Good morning, Husband. I know it's been a while, but I am here now. It's like you always said it would be... The girls are still fine, and Lucas is far more then the man you swore he would be."

She looked through the turnin' colors of the sycamore to the dark blue sky that were slow becomin' lighter.

"You know we would have taken care of you J.D.: tended your needs n such. But like you made me promise after the first time I near lost you, you never wanted to live as a half a man. I'm sorry I made you wait until I was sure about Lucas to fulfill that promise."

She wiped at the gathering tears falling down her cheeks before heading to the front of the house that had been home for more than half her life. She marveled as she neared; what was once no more than a small cabin turned into a house n barn n filled corals. Both her two daughters, adopted son now son-in-law n grandson now lived there. She often wished that she could return, but no home can have to bulls... Knew from experience... N Lucas would always rule this one.

She'd had time to think on the quiet ride here, time to reflect a bit more on what happened the night before and what she was going to do next. She no longer trusted Jude Horace Pickett n knew she had to protect hers from him just like she had all her years: including Mathew Billings.

She'd been up long before the sun that mornin'. Luis had grumbled a bit when she nudged him to roll out of bed early but was quick to take note of what she wanted him to do knowin' the look in her eyes. As she dresset for her day, he gathered n readied the small carriage for her. He'd kept his distance a bit, only commenting on how nice she looket n the long-feathered black hat she were wearin' as he kissed her turnet cheek. He looked concerned when she told him to enjoy the younger woman curled up in front of the fireplace, that she weren't nothing more than a whore with a lot less bark skinned off n would be gone soon anyway.

It were Smoke Garcia that greeted her after her quiet arrival n stoppin' to speak to J.D..

"Goood mournin' Miess Debra."

She only half smiled as she looked at the only black-haired grizzly she'd ever seen

as the sun slow peaked above the glowing distance. She wondered how Gretchen would look like if it were this bear of a man who was behind her as he took his pleasure's instead of Luis Tee. She trembled a bit when she thought of the small woman bein' turnt this was n that, whimperin' n cryin' out over n over again... Then wondered if she'd be any more attentive to her needs than she had been after this man took a long break to watch the young woman please her. She'd wanted n had the girls humiliation.

"Good mornin' Smoke. Does this family always sleep this late since I took my leave?"

She noted he was clean shaven except for the long, heavily waxed mustache that dangled well below his wide lips n jist under his squared chin. That n the way his hair was now like Luke's... A little long and a soft lookin' clean. Smoke Garcia was a good lookin' man after you got passet his fiery eyes n hard set features.

"Miss Luna 'as beeen up Miess Debra. Thee others..."

He shrugged his massive shoulders. She only half glanced below the wide holster n gun he wore before feelin' the warmth colorin' her cheeks. He couldn't possibly be that big all over.

"Gooodd Morning Miss Debra. Miss Tiffanee is up. I have coffeee almost reeadee."

Smoke reachet out to take the reins of the small carriage.

"Shood I stable yur Lucky Miesss Debra."

"I think I mite go to town if I can get one of my daughters to go with me Smoke."

The big man seldom met her eyes.

"Queek will go if youu likee."

"Thank you Smoke."

The matriarch of the Blake ranch looket once more at the brute standin' passively

close... N quickly went up the stairs to avoid any more of the wicked thoughts that he n last night's happenin's had runnin' through her mind...

---------------------------------------------------------- 0 ----------------------------------------------------------

Stephen 'Quick' Bennett on Cherry followet the Blake women just far enough back to avoid collectin' the small carriages leavin's on his new clothes. Miss Linda had stitched his stripped shirt here n there to make the store-bought shirt fit 'im better as the other ladies were fixin' the near black crepe dress fer Miss Debra. He'd see Mr. Beauchamp at Boots N Saddles, the leathersmith, 'bout new boots with the ten-dollar gold piece Smoke had gived him. 'Youu look goood Queek. Youu get new booots, mebyee wholster for gun. You bee yuur own mann ehh'. Stephen thought 'bout how he were bein' treated now as he scanned the distance in the early afternoon sun. His new self came with new responsibilities...

Tiffany Ann looked at her mother, still wonderin' what had put that look she'd seldom seen in all their years past. It were a somber look... Like when Lucas had returned to the house from Winding Creek the night he got home from the east: or when J.D. returned home from a hunt that took a good deal longer than it should with a fine buck strapped over the back of his beloved horse, Rose. Then she recalled when Luis Tee arrived in Winding Creek when Lucas was attacked or the day when Linda Jean n Lucas were married... She wanted to ask but didn't. Funny how Lucas was part of most those memories.

Her mother had no such compunctions.

"What's got into you Tiffany Ann? You look happier then I've seen you since before you run off to get married."

Tiffany felt the color fill her cheeks. Her mother pressed her oldest daughter a bit more.

"I've been told you n Lucas were out ridin' the day all this hub bub occurred in town. That have anything to do with it."

Debra Ann knew... Lucas was not one to dawdle after gettin' advice he took to heart. Tiffany turned to meet her mother's light blue n questionin' eyes.

"Did you say anything to Lucas that day he came to Luis for advice n forgot the pipe we decided gift to him?"

Debra bit back her smile.

"No."

Tiffany peered closer into the face that would be hers in the not to distant future.

"L-Lucas took me to his thinking place Mama. He said Papa told him to go there when he had hard decisions to make or thoughts that needed sortin'."

"And."

"He taught me the same way Papa taught him."

"That's all it took?"

For the first time, Tiffany Ann was concerned at what had happened between her n Lucas Blake. Her mother reached across the small, padded bench seat n settled her hand on her daughter's thigh.

"Your sister made that happen Tiffany Ann. I can only pray that you'll never forget that."...

*

Jacob Russell leaned forward in his chair at the table still settin' outside the now open shuttered doors of the Nail. Many of the good men of Winding Creek were crowded in, some sittin' quiet n all listening hard. He knew the young woman settin' the small carriage. The beautiful Tiffany Ann and what had to be her equally pretty mother. He stood and swatted at the little dust that had collected on the front of his trousers. Quickly removing his hat, he stepped past the few horses that he'd allowed to tie off to the long hitching rail n onto the rutted street. Tiffany set the carriage close enough to Jacob to near make him step back. Debra Ann had closed her eyes, thinking of the last time she'd seen this many horses' n what not lining the streets not so long ago.

"Good afternoon, ladies."

He stepped up to take the carriages reins before replacing his hat. Stephen Bennett stayet back a bit.

"Good mornin' Miss Tiffany."

"Mr. Russell..."

She paused n gave him a flirty smile. He tried hard not to notice.

"... this is Lucas's n my mother sir. The soon to be Mrs. Luis Tee."

Debra Ann wrinkled her brow just a touch. 'The soon to be Mrs. Tee' struck her a bit harder than she thought it should.

"You can call me Miss Debra young man."

Again, the hat was removed.

"I am not sure about the young, but I do appreciate the thought."

The soft smile he was rewarded with was damn near pretty as the one Tiffany had given him.

"Can you tell me where my son is Mr. Russell."

Lucas said she were direct.

"He's sittin' n waitin' in the lobby of the hotel ma'am. Judge Pickett is questionin' everyone that seen er heard anything 'bout Tuesday nite... Inquiree is the word I think."

Jacob took note of the same two sets of matchin' blue eyes that bore into him.

"And you're settin' out here."

"Yes Ma'am. Those waitin' to speak their piece is just inside waitin' on the Judge to get to 'im. Joe Tinker n his son rounded 'em all up last night n this mornin'. Lucas wants this settlet as quick as it kin be Ma'am."

"Have you said your piece Mr. Russell."

"I have."

"Then you will escort me n Tiffany Ann inside. I wish to see this... ' inquiry'."

The tall, lean man motioned to one the many older children peerin' around the corner of the eatery trying to hear er see what they could. A stocky tow-headed boy rushed forward.

"Yessum Mr. Russell sir?"

Jacob fished a nickel out of his pocket n flippet it high into the air. The boys hand shot out to gather the generous offer then took the reins bein' handed in his direction.

"You take the Blake's carriage to the livery n see to it that the horse is tended too."