Women: Conniving, Scheming...

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A young woman, she looked to be about my age partly opened the door, "Hello."

I knew right away this had to be Stephanie, "Hello. Is this the Meadows residence?"

She replied, "May I ask who you are?"

"You're Stephanie Meadows aren't you?"

She was slightly surprised, "I don't believe we've met."

"We have but you don't remember. I'm Sherry Van Dyke. I'm Vonda's youngest sister; the woman your cousin married."

She wasn't especially pleased to see me, "My brother," she emphasized the word brother, "is getting a divorce, and you're right I don't remember you." She started to close the door.

"Oh please don't close the door. I came all the way from back east to see you. Can't you spare just a minute or two? Please?"

At that moment I heard someone else from inside the house, "Who is it Steph?"

Stephanie looked backward, "It's somebody who says they know Del. I think it's one of his ex-wife's sisters."

An older woman opened the door a little wider, "Can we help you?"

I was close to tears. They weren't going to help me, "Please Mrs. Meadows. I've come all the way from back east. I'm Vonda's youngest sister Sherry. Please let me in. Please let me talk to you. Please I need your help?"

The older woman wasn't impressed, "Why should we help you?"

Mrs. Meadows I need to see Del. I'm not the sister he married. I'm the one he should have married. Please Mrs. Meadows you've got to help me." I couldn't help it, I started to cry.

Mrs. Meadows opened the door, "We're getting ready to go out, but I guess we've got a minute." She opened the door and let me in.

Once I got in they let me sit on a chair in their living room. It was a frosty situation, but I looked around the room. There were pictures of Del and his cousins everywhere. I saw a picture of what had to have been his dog. I couldn't stop crying. I was in Del's home. Evidence that he lived here was everywhere. I just couldn't control my emotions, "Oh please Mrs. Meadows you've got to help me."

I think she was starting to feel something, "Del was here a few days ago, but he's gone out of town."

"Please let me tell you what has happened?"

She looked at her watch, "We only have a few minutes."

I told her the whole story. I told her how we met, how my sister maneuvered me out of the way. How much I loved him, and how much I think he wanted to love me, but because I was Vonda's sister he was snake bit. I told her how he and I uncovered my sister's infidelities, how we went to his lawyer together. I told her how all the time they were married I did all the housework and took care of everything while Del was at work. I repeated over and over how much I loved him, how much I thought he loved me, and how very happy I could make him if he only gave me a chance. I think I might have gotten through, a little bit anyway.

Stephanie listened to everything I said, and when I finished she told her mom Del had told her about me. Stephanie more or less confirmed everything I said. God I loved her. I prayed real fast in my head, 'Oh sweet Jesus please make her be on my side.'

Mrs. Meadows spoke to me, "Where are you staying?"

I'm at the Comfort Inn just outside the airport."

"Go back there. I'll call Del. I'll ask him what he wants us to do."

I asked her if she would tell me where he was staying, but she said she wouldn't unless Del told me she could. I started crying again. I begged her. I told her how hurt Del was, and I was afraid he'd never want to talk to me again even though I was completely innocent. Mrs. Meadows wouldn't budge. She told me to go back to my motel. The last thing I did was give her my cell phone number, and to beg her one more time to help me. Then I left.

They'd listened, they might have even felt a little empathy, but I knew they wouldn't help me. It was all over for me. My life was over. I was destined to become an old maid. I just couldn't see myself with anyone other than my Del. My Del, that was a dream shot to hell.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I went back and waited in my motel room; my lonely barren motel room. I tried to go to bed and get some sleep; sleep just wouldn't come. I lay there all night long. It was a lot cooler around San Francisco than I thought it would be. I thought I might go for a ride, maybe tour the area. Alcatraz wasn't that far. Heck, why would I want to visit Alcatraz; that's where I was. I watched television all night long; it wasn't that much different from what we had back home. In fact, it was almost exactly the same thing; talk about a homogenized country.

The next morning; I guess I got to sleep sometime in the night, I woke up hungry and thirsty, but I was afraid to leave my room. What if he called while I was getting something to eat?

I called my mom and dad. They were sympathetic. I got dad on the phone; it was a short call, I was afraid Del might call. I was afraid I might screw up the cell trying to switch from my dad to Del. I told dad where I was, and what I was trying to do. He told me not to get my hopes up. That wasn't much help.

Gosh was I surprised. Just after 1:00 p.m. I heard a knock on my door. Was it Del? I ran to the door and opened it. It wasn't Del it was Stephanie. I said, "Hi Stephanie, please come in."

She came in but didn't sit down or anything, "I can't stay. I just dropped by to tell you we talked to Del this morning."

I was so excited. I was talking to someone who'd talked to Del that very morning! I guess she could tell because she got this sort of uncomfortable look on her face. I asked, "What did he say? Will he let me see him?"

She destroyed me, "He doesn't want to see you."

I sat back on the bed and burst into tears.

Stephanie just stood there. Finally she said, "He's hurt Sherry. He wants to forget Vonda, you, the whole thing. He wants to move on with his life. He told us the way his divorce should work he'll be done and clear in a few months. He said he'd never go east of the Mississippi again. I'm sorry Sherry."

I looked up at her, "Isn't there anything?"

"No nothing. He said he was sorry. He said he was especially sorry about you. He told me he felt like he took advantage of you, and he's ashamed of that."

"But he won't let me see him."

"No."

"Well thanks Stephanie. I guess that's about it."

Stephanie looked at me real funny, "You're giving up?"

I was sobbing again, "I don't know what else to do?"

Stephanie sort of sheepishly smiled, "You can come and stay with us."

I was dumbstruck. I'd been hit by lightning. Wow! I leaped up from the bed and tackled her, "Would your mom let me?"

"She told me to ask you."

My life wasn't over. I had another chance; a good chance I thought. If I could get Del's aunt, uncle, and sisters on my side I'd be back in the hunt. I squeezed Stephanie real tight, "Oh Stephanie. Oh Stephanie. When can I come?"

"That's why I'm here. I'm here to fetch you."

We loaded my rental with my stuff, and I followed her home. It was really strange. I felt like I was going home, and I'd only been there one time.

When we got there Mr. and Mrs. Meadows were waiting for me. They explained that Carol was in Hawaii, and wouldn't be back for a while. She was taking some special courses in marine biology and would probably be gone till the fall. But everybody else was going to be home for the summer, that was everybody else but Del.

Mrs. Meadows took me upstairs to the room I was to use. As soon as I walked in I knew whose room it had been, "Mrs. Meadows this is Del's old room."

While she helped me put my things in his chest she told me, "I want you to call me Aunt Audra, and my husband is Uncle Byron, and yes this is Del's room."

I started crying again. I wrapped my arms around her, "I'm going to dehydrate if I don't stop crying," then a remarkable thing happened, she kissed me on my forehead; that was when I knew everything was going to be all right.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Del didn't come home and sweep me off my feet. After the first few days I called my dad and told him to take my car to CarMax, sell it, and send me the money. Meanwhile I went to a CarMax out here and bought a cheap one. Then I started looking for a summer job. I found something working at a Texas Road House as a waitress. I got to wear one of their cute outfits. I thought at least I had something to do while I waited, and, though Aunt Audra told me not to worry, I thought I could make a contribution at home at the same time. More important I wanted them to see I wasn't a freeloader, that I was willing to pull my weight. I think they understood. I also pitched in with the laundry and the cleaning. By the end of the second week I felt like I really was home. It was like I was one of Aunt Audra and Uncle Ben's girls.

Uncle Byron was especially nice to me. He told me all about how Del's parents were killed, and how lonely he was when he came to live with them. He told me about how he was a natural at being an older brother, and how Carol and Stephanie both fell in love with him. He said he could see how I could fall in love with him too. I mean they were all so nice to me. I only hoped Del would come home and take me in his arms, hug me, and kiss me, and tell me he loved me. If he wouldn't do that maybe he'd let me go with him to wherever his new job was. I could be his maid. I could cook and clean for him. I mean I'd do anything. Well almost anything. He'd have to marry to get the one thing. That's what I prayed for every night.

At night I slept in Del's bed. His pillows still had his aroma; his smells were all over the place. I lay on his bed. I crawled under it. I even crawled inside his closet. Some of his old clothes were still hanging there. I surreptitiously smelled the crotch of a pair of his old jeans. I mean here I was in Del's room, with Del's stuff. His dog's collar was in a shoebox with a dog brush and some old heartworm pills. I had his family on my side. My mind and heart went back and forth; sometimes I was so confident, then I'd get scared and cry. I saved my crying for late at night when no one was around. I don't know if they heard me or not. I tried to be quiet about that.

I must have been crying too loud. One morning Stephanie and Aunt Audra made me sit down at the kitchen table.

Aunt Audra told me, "You've got to stop crying."

Stephanie added, "It is what it is. If Del feels anything he'll tell you. I know him. He's not mean or cruel. He won't leave you out to dry."

I agreed, "Oh I know, I know he's such a wonderful man. I know he loves me, at least I pray that he does." I started crying again.

Aunt Audra handed me a Kleenex, "We're having Swiss Steak tonight. We'll save you some for when you get home." Then they both walked away and left me in the kitchen. I couldn't help it. I just couldn't stop crying.

I managed to keep in touch with mom and dad and my sisters back home. Dad and I still used the cell phone, while mom was OK with email. I did a lot of emailing with Chelsea. She was the closest to my age, and she and I talked the most about Del and how Vonda had stiffed me at the beginning. Nancy was kind of cool toward me; by cool I mean she wasn't real nice. She thought I should've stayed out of my sister's business. I suppose she was right in a way, but she wasn't looking at it from my point of view.

Vonda never emailed or anything. Dad said, after a few days of moping around the house she moved out again. She found another job at a different hospital doing the same thing just for less money. Dad said she blamed me for the loss of income. Otherwise he said she was OK; she'd even found a new man, a doctor, he'd suggested she move in with him. Dad admitted he was a little disappointed in his oldest daughter, but it was her life, and she was nearly thirty years old. I supposed twenty-eight was close enough to thirty that he could say that.

The summer kept dragging by. I was losing weight. I just couldn't eat. Aunt Audra and Uncle Byron even said something about it. I don't know I just wasn't hungry; it wasn't like I didn't have a chance to eat. I worked at a steakhouse.

It was getting close to the end of summer and still no Del. I checked the calendar and knew I had to make a decision. The school year was just two weeks away. If I went back home I knew I'd never see Del again, but if I stayed I would have to give up my job, and that would probably end it for me and teaching. I thought about it, and sent them a registered letter asking for a year's leave of absence. I got a letter back saying that since I didn't have tenure that wasn't possible. I sent them a second letter turning in my resignation.

That was that; one part of my life really was over. All I could do now was wait. Aunt Audra helped me out a lot. She said Del had to show up eventually. She said she thought he was deliberately avoiding home, and that she was on my side. He couldn't think he could wait me out. Sooner or later he'd have to come home and accept me or send me on my way. I was scared, but I knew I had Uncle Byron, Aunt Audra and Stephanie on my side, that had to count for something.

It was close to end of October. I'd almost given up on ever seeing Del again. Dad called the night before Halloween and told me Del's and Vonda's divorce was final. I was a little surprised. I thought it would take longer, but Dad said since their arrangements were so amicable, I think he meant uncomplicated, and there were no children the whole process was expedited. I felt good. I even had some of the beef medallions the restaurant sold when I was off for lunch.

Then one day, about a week after Halloween, I was at the steakhouse and got the scare of my life. Del came in with three friends. He came in with two girls and another man. They didn't sit at my set of tables, but I saw them right away. One of the girls sat right next to Del. Del was seated with his back to me so I couldn't see his face. I thought, oh my, this is where it ends. He's found someone else, and he hasn't thought about me at all.

He never turned around to look over at where I was working, but I watched him. I couldn't help it; I started crying while I was taking a couple's order. They asked me what was wrong. I didn't have an answer. One of the other girls asked me what was going on. I told her. She talked it over with the other waitresses and the floor manager. They divided up my tables, and for the next hour I sat in the office in the back and cried my eyes out. I couldn't imagine anything worse than to see the man I loved be in the same restaurant where I worked, and him not even noticing that I was there. It was just like that awful fantasy I'd had back when he and I first started looking into Vonda's horrible behavior. I knew this was finally it. Yes it was finally over. Del had moved on, he'd found someone else, and he'd left me behind. I never even got a chance.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

When I got home that night I didn't stay up to talk to anybody. They were all watching the news. I went straight to my room. I didn't know what to do. I was completely crushed. That was when Stephanie came upstairs with this other young woman. I didn't know the other woman, but I thought I recognized her. They came over to where I was lying down. I hadn't even bothered to change out of my waitressing clothes.

Stephanie came over and sat on the side of the bed beside me. The other woman came over too. That's when I recognized who she was; heck there were pictures of her all over the house.

Stephanie started talking to me but I rolled away. She took her hand and pulled me by my shoulder so I had to look at her, "Sherry you haven't met my sister yet."

I looked up at her through tear filled eyes, "Oh hi. You must be Carol."

She said, "Yes I'm Carol. I saw you today."

I sat up. Hope springs eternal, "You did?"

"You were working at the Roadhouse when I came in with Del. We were with one of his old high school buddies and his buddy's wife. Del saw you too. He saw how busy you were and decided to wait till you got a break, but before he got a chance to look you up you were gone. We thought you were gone for the day."

I felt like crying, but not because I was sad. I was happy that neither of the girls was a girlfriend. I started acting giddy, "Gosh I thought Del had a new girlfriend."

Carol laughed, "No he doesn't have any new girlfriends."

That's when Stephanie hit me with the thing that finally really did turn my life upside down, "Sherry there's somebody down stairs waiting to see you."

I put my hand to my mouth. I bit the back of my hand, "Is it?"

Stephanie only nodded.

I jumped up, "Oh my. I look a fright! What should I do?"

Carol got up and hugged me, "I think you should go downstairs."

I was almost ready to cry. I saw my face in Del's mirror. I was a terrible mess. My hair was all ragged and knotty. I looked like the scarecrow from 'The Wizard of Oz'. My work makeup was mostly worn off, and what was left looked awful. I must have been ten pounds underweight. I hadn't been in the sun in a month; there wasn't a freckle in sight. My eyes were as wide as saucers. I couldn't imagine how ugly Del would think I looked. This was the worst!

I looked from Stephanie to Carol, "Like this?"

Stephanie answered, "It won't matter."

"OK," I stammered. I tucked in my blouse. I'd had it on since early afternoon. It was all wrinkled, and there were food stains on it. I ran my fingers through my hair, and started downstairs. I almost broke my neck running down the steps. I looked all around but didn't see him anywhere. That's when Aunt Audra nodded her head toward the back door. I rushed to the back door, threw it open and ran outside. It was dark outside, and because it had been so bright in the house, I couldn't see a thing. I looked all around. I was so excited, but I was scared too.

Then from behind me I heard someone. I felt warm masculine hands rest on my shoulders. His two thumbs were at my neck. I shivered. In a soft voice he whispered, "Looking for someone?"

I turned around. It was him! I reached out. I murmured, "Del."

My God! He scooped me up in his arms. In an instant his strong hands and arms were wrapped around my shoulders. I could smell his sweet breath. He was wearing Old Spice. He pulled me in to his chest. I lifted my head. He lowered his face to mine. He kissed me. Oh Jesus he kissed me!

"Del', I sobbed, "Del it's you it's really you!"

He kept kissing me. He kissed my lips. He ran his fingers through my hair. He cupped the back of my head and neck in the palms of his hands. I was pressed tightly against his body. My breasts were against his powerful chest. I could feel his manhood as it pushed against my pelvis. He was here. He was real. He was holding me. He was kissing me. At last my old life had ended. I started to cry...again.

He pulled my head so that it was cradled between his neck and his left collar bone. He whispered in my ear "My divorce became final a few days ago. I couldn't get home right away. I was camping in the mountains. I'm home now though."

I couldn't stop crying, "Oh Del I love you! I love you! I thought I'd lost you!"

He whispered, "I had a few things I had to work out. I'm OK now. I think maybe something in June."

I leaned back. I knew what he meant. I placed my hands on his cheeks. I leaned forward and kissed his luscious lips, "Are you serious. I could never wait that long."

He pulled me close again, "That's all right too. I'll let you choose the date."

Epilogue:

We decided on a Christmas wedding. We did it in San Francisco. I had four bridesmaids; Stephanie and Carol of course. I asked all my sisters. Chelsea was delighted. Nancy agreed. I never heard back from Vonda. Vonda had moved in with her doctor friend.

1...345678