Written In the Stars Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Honestly, I don't know what happens when you guys watch movies, but when Nate and I watch them we actually, you know... watch them," Vanessa said as she glared around the table at the family members in turn. "So your 'Aww'-ing is more a reflection of you than it is on Nate and I. Or reality for that matter."

"So you DID watch the bad Hong Kong movies I made you watch," I said, pointing my finger like a Phoenix Wright accusation. I grinned at her, knowing that she doesn't completely share my love of Hong Kong action movies (even the bad ones). Ever since Rumble in the Bronx came out, I'd been crazy about the genre and tried to make Vanessa a fan too.

Everyone laughed at my comment but even when the sound died down it was clear that they weren't convinced about her and I not being an item. Then again, they never were. Vanessa sat there a moment, shaking her head in disbelief at our collective families. She seemed to be searching for a comeback to put this to rest, but there was nothing to say that they wouldn't try to twist on us. Finally, she just shook her head and sighed.

"I may get a start on the dishes," she said as she got up from the table.

I was about to stand up and join her when my mother pointed a finger at me. "Don't you dare, young man. This is your welcome home party and I will not have you cleaning up after yourself." She turned to my brother, saying "Darren, why don't you help Vanessa in the kitchen?"

"But mum I..."

He stopped as soon as he saw 'The Look'. As he pushed back and stood up, Hannah beamed at my mother and very deliberately took a sip of her wine. "Be sure to scrub 'em really good, dear!" She called after him. Meanwhile, I tried to hide my smile as Darren took over for me.

I leaned back at the table, feeling the jet lag and good food creeping up my body. I felt my whole body shutting down as I rested my head against the back of the chair. I must have blinked in and out of consciousness because I was roused by the sound of raised voices from the kitchen. I was about to see what was up when Hannah stood. She merely held out a hand to me, letting me know that she was on top of it. I smiled at my sister-in-law and relaxed back.

When I blinked back again, Lewis was touching me with his cold spoon as a kid's level prank. I just smiled at him as he giggled and turned back to his dessert. Turning to the kitchen, I caught sight of Hannah and Vanessa saying something to Darren, but my mum blocked the way as she carried some plates in from the table. I'm guessing that she said something as the three of them glanced back my way and broke up what they were saying.

Darren came back and sat down, not really looking at me as Hannah and Vanessa kept talking a bit longer in the kitchen. I tried to watch a bit more before Greg started in again about my schedule and my plan going forward. For not being my dad, he seemed very worried about my ability to make a living. I answered as best I could before Vanessa and Hannah came back to the table.

The rest of the night was full of laughs and chats about the days and weeks ahead. After about another hour, the families could tell how tired I was and everyone started to make their way out. Darren and Hannah managed to get the kids to leave, even with saying that there will be no story tonight.

"That just means more story tomorrow, right?" Lewis asked me on the way out.

I managed a smile as I leaned forward in my seat to look him in the eye. "May as well. I don't want to start a tab," I said, kissing his forehead. "Go on, your mum is waiting."

Lewis hugged me before hustling off to join his mum and my brother. I waved goodbye to them both as they left before slumping down in my seat.

"I'm just gonna sleep in this chair, if that's okay with you, Nessa..." I mumbled drowsily as I slumped down a little more.

Vanessa shut the door behind our families and then turned to see me sagging in my chair. Despite my exhaustion, I caught her smiling at me from the door. It wasn't a gleeful smile, it was warmer than that. I think she was hit by the same feeling I was; I was home and living with my best friend.

"I wouldn't blame you... but the couch would be more comfortable," she said, leaning back against the door and crossing her arms casually.

I nodded, or rather, rolled my head up and down against the chair back. "I think you're right, but that would require me standing up..." I groaned as I sunk even lower in my chair.

Vanessa just laughed and shook her head.

"I'll go and grab some sheets and a pillow and make up the couch for you. The last thing I want to do in the morning is wake up to you complaining about the pain in your neck because you fell asleep in that chair."

I smiled as she patted my shoulder gently on her way upstairs. Coming back down, I saw she had raided her linen closet for blankets and a pillow. It was a matter of minutes before she had the couch made up and the pillows fluffed. I smiled at her from behind as she stepped back and put her hands on her hips. Satisfied with her work, she turned to me.

"Are you too tall for this couch?" she asked, bending right over to tuck the sheets in a bit more.

I finally got up and looked the couch up and down. Honestly, I had no idea. "Hmmm, it looked bigger in the pictures..." I answered, putting my own hands on my hips. "Luckily, when I moved to the States, I got an air mattress for the first month as I was waiting for my bed to arrive..." I continued as I walked over to one of my bags. After opening it, I pulled out a sack and set it down. It was just big enough for the air mattress inside as well as an air pump for it.

"I figured I should bring it just in case," I concluded with a smile as I moved to one end of Vanessa's coffee table. "Give me a hand making a space?"

"Oh, sure," she said frowning at the perfectly made couch. Even so, she came and helped me with the air bed. She looked ready to say something but swallowed her thoughts down. I would have pressed more, but my energy was evaporating by the second. We plugged the air pump in and it to inflate as I set about stripping the couch.

The air mattress only took a few minutes to inflate, and after it was done I transferred the sheets and pillows over before flopping onto it.

"Just going to lay here for a bit... stay with me?" I asked, reaching out for Vanessa.

She bit her lip as I reached out for her. She tried to hide her blushing cheeks as she looked away. "If- uh... if you want," she said. Vanessa took my hand but settled against the front of the couch, sitting on the floor.

"Thanks," I say, gently sliding my fingers in her hair to massage her scalp. It wasn't a romantic gesture, more just a touch to convey to myself that I was home. When she glanced at me, I could only smile warmly back at her.

"I.. um... I'm glad you're back Nate. I missed having you around," she stammered. I was so tired that I couldn't pick up on the vocal cues from her voice in that moment.

"It's so good to be home. I didn't know how bad I missed it..." I whisper, my voice sounding more and more sleepy. I could feel my vision getting more and more blurry as my eyes blinked and my breathing slowed.

As I drifted to sleep, I could feel how Vanessa gently extracted my hand from her hair. She even brushed her fingers across my knuckles before setting my hand down over the blankets and standing up.

"Sleep well Nate... we can talk in the morning," she whispered before walking towards the stairs at the back of the living room. She flicked the lights off, giving me one last look over her shoulder. The last sounds I heard that night were those of Vanessa showering and getting ready for bed.

A/N: We hope you are enjoying the story this far, thank you for reading! Please feel free to drop us a vote or leave a comment if you have any feedback.

12