You are Definitely Going to Hell Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jack takes Ruby from me and takes her back upstairs.

"We better get going," I say to Maria. "Our parents want an evening family meal at eight."

"Oh, so soon," Jill says, standing with us.

"Yeah, I'll see you Wednesday then," I say, going over to her for a hug.

Jill opens her arms and wraps them around me. "Mmmm, it will be good if you settle around here," Jill says. She kisses me and then goes to hug Maria. "See you on the Monday after the New Year, Maria. I'm pleased Rob has finally found someone. Liz said you were one to watch," she adds.

Jill escorts us to the door as Jack comes down the stairs. He shakes Maria's and my hand and says goodbye.

As I start the engine and we wave a final goodbye to the Peters, Maria turns to me and says, "If I ask you a direct question, will you give me a direct answer?"

"Yep," I reply.

"Is Jill the one who taught you and was your first?" She asks.

I smile at my intelligent girlfriend. "What did Jill do to make you come to that conclusion?"

"Several things; when we met in town, she looked at you with love. It wasn't conclusive until I saw how she hugged you and what she said. She misses you more than just a friend should."

"Now you know why it has to be kept a secret," I say.

"I can see that, but I can't see why she would threaten her marriage. She loves you, but that's nothing in comparison to Jack. So, why?......" Maria gasps. "Nooooo," she says, looking at me.

"Be careful," I say. "Don't let the worm out of the can if you don't like worms." Maria stops for a second. "Would it affect us if what you are thinking was true?"

"Yes, I can't see why you are so calm. I thought I was a good judge of character......" Maria pauses for a minute and thinks. "No, I don't buy it. The way you are with Len's girlfriend and with Michelle. So which one do you think is yours?" She looks at me for the answer, but I just turn to her and smile silently, letting her work it out. Without a word from me, her eyes widen. "Both?" She concludes from my silence and the way I look. "And you look confident of that...Shit...There must be more." Again, there is silence while Maria tries to work it out. Although I might look confident outside, I am in turmoil inside. Could this cause her love for me to change? "Both," Maria then says. "The key is both. Jack and Jill are totally in love; any fool can see that...Jack....Jack can't have kids," Maria says triumphantly. "But does he know they aren't his?" She then asks.

"No, and it needs to stay that way," I say.

"But he must suspect if he is firing blanks..."

"He wasn't firing blanks but had a very low sperm count. The problem was that he wasn't taking the fact he couldn't give his wife the one thing her heart desired and started drinking. Their beautiful marriage was being torn apart before my eyes, and out of desperation, Jill asked me if I would help. I said no at first, but as the weeks passed, Jack got increasingly worse. The final straw was when he drove home steaming and went straight through their wall in the front. He was going to kill himself or someone else. So, under the thin disguise of teaching me, I got Jill pregnant with Aaron. It was always meant to be the once, but last year, Jill got drunk, and I was in a bad place with Charlie. You can guess the rest..." I stop talking as the guilt of that second time hits me, and I feel tears welling up in my eyes. "Ruby wasn't meant to happen," I finally croak out.

The rest of the trip is silent as Maria thinks about what has been said. I pull into the driveway and turn off the engine. I turn to Maria, and she looks at me. To my relief, I can still see her love for me in her eyes.

Maria takes a deep breath. "I can see why you keep it a well-guarded secret and why it happened. For the life of me, I don't get why I love you even more." Maria shakes her head. "You are the most incredible man I have ever met. Normally, what I've learned tonight would have been a deal-breaker, but I can see your compassion and love for both Jill and Jack. Every other person on this planet would have got a flat no, but for some reason, you put your own morals and feelings to one side and helped. From what I saw and felt tonight, you have done an incredible thing, and.....and it will not be mentioned again." With that, Maria exited the car and walked into the house.

I sat in the car for a minute, shaking and trying to control my emotions. Tonight, my future had been on the line, and Maria's love for me had shone through. I dried my eyes, took a deep breath, and got out of the car.

"There you are," my mother says as I walk into the kitchen.

Everyone is sitting around the now extended table with steaming plates of food and smiles on their faces. I smile at the joy in the room. This Christmas looks like it will be the best ever.

"Maria says you've been to visit the Peters," my dad says.

"Yes, when we were walking around the town, we noticed Mrs. Payne's house was up for sale in Jack's estate agent's window. We went over to ask about it."

"Didn't you spend a summer over there learning about the place when you were younger?" Dad asks.

"Yes, for a school project. Maria and I are thinking about splitting the cost."

Mum looks at me when I say that. "Just get a structural survey done before committing yourself. I've got the number of a guy who can tell you what it will cost." Then, her face changes. "So, how were Jack and Jill?"

"I don't think a structural engineer will change our minds, Doreene. Jack and Jill are fine," Maria says. "They have their hands full with the kids but seem very happy."

"Oh, they are a lovely couple, but just before Jill got pregnant," my mother pauses. "You might not have known this, Robert, but they went through a rough patch." Mum takes a bite of food. "Apparently, they were finding it difficult to conceive, and Jack took it personally. Robert, this is not something you can tell your friends." I look at Maria, who looks back and gives me a knowing smile. "Anyway, Jack hit the bottle hard and demolished their front wall with his car."

"Oh God, I remember that," my dad says. "I didn't realize it was because of that, though."

"Yes, he was lucky it wasn't a little kid or something. Once Jill got pregnant, he swore off the liquor and has been straight ever since." Mum smiles as she finishes and digs into her meal.

Anna smiles at her friend, picks her wine glass up, and holds it in front of her. "To friendship and the future," she toasts.

******

Waking next to Maria on Christmas day must be the best Christmas present ever. Looking at the sleeping beauty next to me, I cannot help but wish that this is the first of many Christmases to come.

Maria opens her eyes, and a smile spreads across her face as reality washes over her. "Happy Christmas, baby," she says.

Christmas day goes by in a haze and way too fast. Maria loves her gift of a necklace with the infinity symbol holding an M and R together. Maria bought me an amazing Citizen watch with multiple functions and three smaller faces within the main watch face.

We spend most of the day in the house but take Archie to the Ridge after dinner to get some fresh air.

As Maria and I get into bed together, we slowly and quietly make love for the longest time before dropping off to sleep in each other's arms.

******

It's Boxing Day, and Maria and I are in a taxi heading into town to meet my friends. It's been a nervous day for her as she gets ready. I wonder if it's the whole event or the meeting with Charlie making her more nervous than I've ever seen her.

As we get to the entrance of The King's Arms pub, Maria says, "Baby, I need the toilet."

"Take the right door and through the lounge. I'll be on the other side unless you want me to wait?" I say.

"No, go and get the drinks in; I won't be a minute," Maria says, still looking nervous.

It had taken Maria nearly two hours to get ready and four different outfits. She also changed her hair and makeup twice, making us slightly late.

A cheer goes up when I walk in and then goes silent when they see I'm alone. "Where's Maria?" Clive asks.

"She's in the ladies," I say as I approach the larger-than-normal crowd. "So, who wants a drink?" I ask, trying to break the ice. Then I remember my manners. "Sorry," I walk up to Simon first. "You must be Simon," I say, offering my hand.

"Yes, and you must be the infamous Rob I've heard so much about," he replies.

I nod and smile. "Charlie," I say, opening my arms for a hug.

"Hey, Rob. How have you been?" she replies as she steps into my arms.

"I hope I get one of them," Sharon shouts, followed by Michelle and Karen. I get pulled away and introduced to Toby and Dave, Michelle and Karen's boyfriends. Then it's time for Rose and Candy, who are Nick and Andy's girlfriends. "It's a pleasure to meet you all," I say.

We are around a large table with stools to sit on. Right, who wants a drink?" I say.

Andy and Nick come to the bar. "So where is this girlfriend of yours," Nick says with his eyes glued to the door. "Is that her?" He asks.

"No, Nick," I say without looking. I get the barmaid's attention and start to order the drinks.

"How about her," Nick asks.

"No," I say, still not looking.

"Her?"

"No!"

"Oh come on, you didn't even look at who I was talking about," he says.

"I don't need to," I reply. Just then, Nick's eyes double, and his mouth opens. "That's her," I say. So, you know, Maria is wearing a figure-hugging dress that I bought her in Brighton and four-inch matching heels tonight. She looks stunning with a light leather jacket over the top and her hair swept to one side.

"Fuck," is all that comes out of Nick's mouth, to Andy's amusement.

"Hey baby, sorry I took so long," Maria says as she moves next to me at the bar.

"That's okay, my love. Always good for the dramatic entrance," I say. "Maria, these two reprobates are Nick and Andy--Guys, my girlfriend, Maria," I say. I look over to the table that seems to have gone very quiet and see everyone staring our way.

"Pleasure to meet you," Maria says.

"Guys, close your mouths and start taking the drinks over?" I say as pint glasses start to pile up. I hand Maria hers and drink half of mine down in one go.

"Wow, Charlie is more beautiful in real life, Rob," Maria says.

"Yeah, but not in your league," Nick says and then realizes what he has said. "Oops, sorry."

I laugh, "He's not wrong," I say in her ear. I pay for the round and say, "Come on, let me introduce you." I pick up the tray with more drinks and walk to the table. "Guys and gals. I would like you all to meet my girlfriend, Maria... Maria, this is the gang." I put the tray down in the middle and walk back to Maria. We put our arms around each other. "Right baby, this is Clive and Sharon. The lady next to Sharon is Michelle and her boyfriend, Toby. Next to Toby is Karen's boyfriend, Dave, and next to Dave is Karen. You recognize Charlie, and next to Charlie is Simon. This side of the table is Nick, who you have met, and his girlfriend, Candy. Last but not least are Andy and Rose. Did I get everyone right?" I ask, to a unanimous yes.

Michelle is first around the table to hug and welcome Maria, followed closely by Sharon and Karen. All three girls greet Maria with a hug and a kiss on the cheek. Charlie is last to welcome her but copies her friends and hugs Maria, simultaneously kissing her cheek. Then everyone gets in on the act, and Maria takes it all in her stride, confidently greeting everyone.

Whether by design or accident, Maria and I end up sitting opposite Charlie and Simon. "So Maria," Sharon says to get her attention. "I hear that you've known Rob longer than anyone?"

The look on Charlie's face tells me this is the first she's heard of it, and she looks none too impressed. "Yes, our parents were in Uni together and continued to be friends after marrying. Rob and I were about four or five when my parents moved away to Richmond and were reduced to occasional meetings at social events after dad got a job in London," Maria says, smiling.

"Oh, you grew up in Richmond?" Toby says. "Do you know Sean Muir?"

"Yes, Sean and I went to the same Junior school before I was carted off to private school," Maria answers.

"So, how did you and Rob meet," Charlie says. "I'm sorry, but he never mentions what he's getting up to in Edinburgh."

"He's like that, isn't he? He always understates what he's doing. We had been at Uni for about a month when I had a bust-up with my then-boyfriend. The girls I share a house with congregate in a cafe nearby. I hadn't been there before, and when I returned to find the house empty, I went up to The Cafe to find them. I was spouting off how much of a waste of time the male half of the human race was when I spotted Rob here smirking at me." Maria takes a sip of her drink. "I thought he was laughing at me, so I gave him both barrels of my anger. I tried to psycho-analyse him and got him totally wrong," Maria says. Everyone is hanging on to every word. "Once I had my say, he sat there for what felt like an eternity. He puts down what he is doing and takes his glasses off. I will never forget this sentence for the rest of my life. He says, 'For your information, you only got four out of ten in your psycho-analysis of me, and that's a generous four.' Anyway, he then answered a question I asked a little too well before the girls, and I stormed out the door."

"That can't have been the end of it that night, Maria?" Sharon says.

"No, you're right, Sharon. I felt bad about how I treated him and was impressed by how he reacted, and I returned later to apologize."

"I bet you did," Charlie says, sounding jealous.

I ignore Charlie's comment and say, "So Simon, how did you and Charlie meet?"

"Nothing as interesting as that. I first saw her in the University Library and made a point of sitting at the same table. After a month of doing that, I finally got the courage to ask her out. At first, she said no, because she was going out with someone. Then I asked again at the beginning of this year, and she said yes." Simon turns and smiles at Charlie, pleased with himself.

"No, that's great," I say. "So what are you doing at Bristol?" I ask.

"I'm being sponsored by a company in 'Manufacturing Processes'," he says. Then he adds, "When I graduate this year, I will be taken on in Junior Management at twenty-five Grand a year."

The look on Charlie's face is interesting. She's so proud of him. Maria goes to open her mouth, but I squeeze her hand that I'm holding under the table.

"That's great, Simon," I say with a fake impressed look.

"I met my Nicky at work in Woolworths," Candy says.

"Really, Candy? What made you fall for his charms?" I say.

"He was so nice and tall, but his smile won my heart," she says.

I hear both Clive and Andy trying to contain their laughter. "Common guys, everyone has that one thing that first attracts them to who they are with," I say.

"Yeah," Maria says, backing me. "With Rob, it was his incredible eyes. How about you, baby? What first attracted you?"

"Okay, when you first entered The Cafe, it was your style. You must have been the coolest person I have ever seen, but then you took your coat off, and wow," I say.

"With me, it is Charlie's eyes," Simon says.

Then, everyone around the table said what attracted them to their partner. Some were good and some corny, but everyone had something to add.

"So what was the question Rob answered Maria?" Michelle asked.

"Why are all the men I dated idiots and useless in bed?" Maria replies.

That was it; the whole table burst into laughter.

"Maria," Charlie calls. "When Rob introduced you to us, he said, 'Of course, you know Charlie.' What did he mean by that?"

"He has a picture of you, Jenny, him, and Bec on his University room wall. He was saying that I should recognize you from that."

"Picture?" Charlie says, frowning at me. So I get my wallet out and hand the photo I carry around.

Charlie looks at it quickly and hands it back. "So, what are your thoughts about all the women he has in his life?"

"I've only met you out of the picture. I expect to meet the others one day. I've met Jin and..." Maria stops, knowing she can't mention Liz. "You are all important to Rob; he always attracts the right sort," Maria says, changing tacks and squeezing my hand. Charlie is giving her the third degree tonight.

"You'll like Bec; she's such a sweetie. Jenny is not interested at all sexually, and me, well, I guess Rob has explained about me."

"Yes, Rob doesn't hide things. He is very open about anything you ask him. He won't offer anything unless you ask."

"Is he as good in bed as Charlie says," Michelle asks.

"I don't think I could tell you how good he is without doing him enough justice. It's not just the sex but how he makes you feel about yourself," Maria says, her face glowing when she talks about me.

Some of the guys get a little restless talking about sex and stand to get some more drinks. Andy, Clive, and Nick go to the bar and get the next full round in.

"Thanks," Candy says, leaning in.

"For what?" I ask.

"Because you made a conversation out of something I said. I feel like I've contributed to the night now and not just kept quiet," she says.

"No problem," I say. "What you said, though, was quite intuitive. You had a valid point and deserved more than being laughed at."

"Really? Wow, and there's me thinking I made a dumb comment."

"Not at all," Maria adds. "It was an honest statement, and as you saw, everyone had something to add."

The next round comes in, and we drink and talk. Maria seems to be blending in well, with only Charlie giving her a harder time for obvious reasons.

We all get into the nightclub, and I get another round in. Maria comes up with Andy and me to get them in as the others get two tables next to each other.

"What is it with you two? Have you robbed a bank or something?" Andy says.

"No, but if you can keep your mouth shut, I will tell you," I say.

Andy nods and leans in. "I'm a millionaire," Maria says, and she then looks at me.

"And I make a bloody fortune on my programming job," I say.

"How much is a bloody fortune?"

"My dad paid one hundred and twenty-eight thousand pounds in tax for me this month," I say.

Andy is stunned. "Holly fuck," is all he manages to say.

"Remember, Mums, the word," I say.

Andy nods. "It makes twenty-five grand look a bit shit, though," he adds as he grabs the first pints to be poured.

Maria loops her arms around me. "I find people I already know before they know I'm rich are the better friends," she says and tenderly kisses me. "Do you think Charlie is watching?" Maria asks.

"I'd be more surprised if she isn't. I don't know what it is, but she is different," I say, kissing her back.

"Maybe you just see her differently," Maria says, grabbing a tray and heading to the waiting hoards.

I grab another three pints, return for the last, pay for the round, and slide in next to Maria. Everyone has split into their groups, except for Clive and Sharon. They've chosen to sit on our side, with Charlie and me sitting back to back.

"You didn't answer the question about whether you are threatened by the other girls in Rob's life," Michelle says from behind.

"I know Rob's history and the man he is. We are beginning our relationship, so labelling it would be foolhardy," Maria replies.

"He has some skeletons, like his first lover and that bloody code with Jenny," Charlie adds more forcefully than she intended.

Maria looks at me and can't resist saying. "Sih yifonotild guong ut lilh," (He's definitely going to hell.)

I smile at her attempt and lean in, "You might have just put the cat among the pigeons."

Maria's eyes widen as she sees the look on Charlie's face. "Oops, sorry, it just came out."

1...34567...12