All Comments on 'Requital'

by Longhorn__07

Sort by:
  • 1,119 Comments
writingdragonwritingdragonover 18 years ago
Very well done and very Real World

A wife who makes a serious group of blunders. Immature and one dimensional thinking with no consideration or understanding of how her actions were affecting herself and others.

Over protective and hypersupportive parents who have to deal with the real world results of parenting gone awry.

Thank God for Grandma's, everyone should have about six or eight of the type in this story.

Little sister on a brain dead ego trip involved in drugs.

A husband who realistically tried to deal with his problems and in the end almost allowed himself to fall out the bottom of the barrel and succum to depression.

Add a counselor who had been there and done that and knew how to read people well and you have a great story.

This is how relationships recover whether readers understand or believe it or not. The fact that the story brings out the window of opportunity and that it falls in the six to ten week time period, is a real time frame counselors look at for reconcillation. My spouse and I have been sitting in Verne's chair for over 25 years, on target Longhorn.

You did good with this one and even your putting Barbara's life on the line by sleeping with him and accepting the risk of death to show him her love is a nice touch.

Over all very good, keep on writing, "you done good."

Writingdragon

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Congrats on the

E. It was very well deserved. This is a wonderfully done story and well worth the time it takes to read it. You put a lot of work on this one and it definitely shows. Great job.

Average-JoeAverage-Joeover 18 years ago
Liked the story

Husband was a real person and you portrayed his doubts and anger very well.

I cant help but wondering if you went for the reconciliation as some kind of writing exercise though. I guess you had to or the story would have been pretty pointless but its hard to believe that they could recover after he had spent so many months distancing himself emotionally from his wife (like the therapist said).

Again, I understand that you had to have a hook to allow the story to continue and for them to eventually get back together, but the forced counseling was a little disconcerting to me.

Also Lydia was a bit inconsistant. She was supposed to be a no-nonsense type person who didnt sugar coat things but she was willing to almost drive guy to suicide just so her grandchild could have a second chance? Then she is proud of herself when its over? Beating a guy until you break his spirit so he will stay with your stupid grandchild sounds a bit above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to supporting family to me. Even if he did recover, it was way too much imo. Doesnt sound very romantic or happy either.

My second problem with the forced reconciliation was that I didnt understand how it was possible. He was willing to kill himself but not give up his job? He was willing to play russian roulette but not lose a promotion? If he was in such dire straights emotionally, I dont quite know why he kept going to the counseling and why he didnt tell his employers to fuck off.

Even though I thought there was a few small problems with how you forced things to happen, the underlying story and emotion was top notch. Thanks very much for writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Brilliant work

This is /one/ "husband forgives wife" story I am willing to credit with being not only an excellent read but also very realistic. This was no "2 minute solution".

I loved it. Well worth the wait to be able to read all of it in one go.

cageyteecageyteeover 18 years ago
Welcome back!

You've been busy! I'm torn between being annoyed that I'm two hours late for work and being delighted at having had two hours of great entertainment already this morning.

I'll take being delighted!

Your character development is outstanding. The story line kept me involved and interested all the way through.

Hell! I may just re-read it and be another two hours late.

Thanks again for the time, effort and talent you share with us.

SalamisSalamisover 18 years ago
Loved it!

Complex, unpredictable, and thoroughly enjoyable.

cookiejarcookiejarover 18 years ago
Well done ...

I salute you ... a well deserved 'E.'

Cookie :)

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Brilliant!

You have written a story that stands head and shoulders above most posted on this site. You captured the complexity of the human experience, for the rest of them, throw in a little more sex!

cloacascloacasover 18 years ago
Questions

This story is over 17 of these pages long. That works out to probably over 150 typed pages.

Why write this much and stop there? Why not take it through another 50 to 150 pages, fleshing out the work life, fleshing out the rest and have a real novel?

I decided that I wouldn't post a story longer than 40 or so pages because anything longer really should be a novella or more. Once you get past that page count, the amount of room means you automatically get into the details that don't fit in a shorter piece.

I wouldn't say this for most of the longer stories I've seen here. Your story has novel potential because it's character, not plot or device driven. And you have hooks built in - Kim, the grandmother, work - where you can add on.

Risq_001Risq_001over 18 years ago
Ok, this was some of your best work

Very very good. I like reading from start to finish. One thing I like was that the husband wasn't sitting back on his hands, he was trying to be proactive thorough the story. He didn't let the wife just run him over because she could or he loved her so much he was willing to let her.

Of course the grandmother was a neat twist. I could almost hear the "Dance puppets dance" when she entered the story. Just kidding, but it was still a good story.

Kudos and keep 'em coming.

-Risq

RussHRussHover 18 years ago
Very well done...

I've watched you grow as a writer over these short several months, and I must say this one is the cap stone so far. Terrific job. You got inside his head, allowing us to feel his anguish and pain.

Whether you had them reconcile or not, the underlying story was excellant. Personally, I liked the reconciliation. Again, well done.

Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Great

I enjoyed this story very much. I look forward to reading more of your stories in the future.

Boyd

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
GREAT Story

I was emotionally involved in the story within the first few paragraphs. So glad it was submitted in it's full length rather than daily installments, I would have gone crazy. Great charactor development. Can I get Lydia's address? I am not registered so I will sign this here. akman

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Good story but...

...really, really long. For this site I think you would be better served separating such stories into sections/chapters, with each new set of chapters put in each wekk or so. Not only does it keep people from inwardly saying "OH come on" with stories of this length (lets face facts there are many who don't want to read what's effectively an online novel). The story on its own merit is good & I would give it a 4, but it's the length that made me lower my score.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Wonderful

One of the most engaging and heart-felt stories I have read here. The characters were real as well as the situations. Lydia was supurb--for a coniving old bitty--lovable but definately coniving. I can see why this story took so long. It was very well put togeather. Great job!

JimDinMN

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Brilliant

Interesting and captivating. So nice to read all in one instead of chapters at infrequent intervals. Believable characters and actions. Well done.

thebulletthebulletover 18 years ago
Ignore the man behind the curtain jackng off

As usual, Longhorn_07 has produced a fascinating if long story about infidelity and redemption. As usual Don87654 has mad a total ass of himself.

I'm sure that Longhorn will take Don's comments for what they are worth - absolutely nothing. The man is certifiable. Please, please, Don87654 - go to some other website and annoy someone else for a while. Give we Lit readers a break from your very sick mind.

Requital was another excellent study by Longhorn It was annoying only in that I sat up all night and read it in one sitting, when I should have been getting my beauty sleep. I hold him personally responsible.

Longhorn__07Longhorn__07over 18 years agoAuthor
Author's Note:

I just deleted a comment. I’ve never done that before except for comments that begin and end with four-letter words. This time, Don87654 accused me of plagiarizing “Requital” from some novel. Well, that’s what he meant anyway. He couldn’t spell it properly. I’m trying to find out if such defamatory statements might be actionable.

wetapapwetapapover 18 years ago
Fantastically

so good, I’m going to turn right around and read it again. Lydia was so original and so believable, every family has a “Lydia” or a male counterpart or at least they should have. Nothing replaces the years of experience or should I say the wisdom that comes from all that experience, in helping and guiding the younger members of a family. I’ve always told young people that they will be miles ahead in life if they not only listen to their elders, but learn from what they have to say. Nothing teaches like experience, but you don’t have to experience everything yourself to learn. Great story, great emotional impact, hell, everything about it was great. A fan always.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
THe best of the best

Thank you for the best ever here on Literotica.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
A great story by an excellent writer

Certainly a bit long, but then again who am I to complain since I spent a lot of the morning reading this and neglecting my work. My only concern, and I should have seen this coming with a name like "Longhorn," is that he is a Cowboy fan, and being from the Philly area I am not sure I can handle that. Thanks again, great story, and keep it up...

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
So good that I had to read it all at one sitting.

Excellently constructed and a believable story. Remembering "Seperate Lives" and "Lyin' Eyes", I expected no less. Longhorn_07 produces some of the best material in Literotica.

DoctorWyldcardDoctorWyldcardover 18 years ago
I'm NOT the only ONE!!

HEllo all and for cageytee, I feel your pain, he's made me late TWICE now for work.

But it's my fault...when I see his name I shoudl KNOW that it will be a great story.

David LockleyDavid Lockleyover 18 years ago
Thanks Buddy,

Don't know if this your best, but I can't think of one better. Once I started, I couldn't stop. Now I'm going to have to send myself a stress reliever, trying to catch back up to everything I should have been doing while I was captivated!

Dave

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Wow!

This was the first story of yours I've read. It was fantastic...couldn't stop reading! Damn, now my eyes are all blurry!

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Sorry

Too Long, too bloated. You took 18 pages to write a 5 page story. Big is not better just bigger. Read Saki. I am not being nasty, just trying to help. False friends give false praise. beware.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
top shelf

eyes are a little sore... but definatly worth the read.

thanks for the effort, am looking forward to more of your writing

Just@FanJust@Fanover 18 years ago
Stunning. Thank You For the Read

This has to be one of the best stories I have ever read on this site. I will gladly read anything of yours I ever see again. This was a truly well-written story. Until then I remain...

-Just @ Fan

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
****

Been waiting for something new from you. Another well written and well thought out story.No excess characters and ridiculous sub plots. I of course though have my personal reservations about forgiving and reconcilliation. Like Dr Phil says the best way to predict future behaviour is by past behaviour. I especially liked how the characters were almost average people in income and lifestyle. You don't fall into the trap a lot of writers do with every character being a millionaire with thousands to pop for investigators and spyware. Average people fuck up to .

Again another great story from a great writer.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Great Story !

Great story...My only question was regarding her misscariage. Was he the one who had gotten her p.g.then..or maybe someone else..He never asked...I sure wondered. Never believed her that she did not have intercourse with another..But thanks for the complete story at once. Hate when you have to wait days..weeks for the ending...Your a great story teller..Keep up the good work

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Being retired is great!

I can sit down and read a "short story" like this in one go (with three refills on my mug of tea!)

I wondered why I hadn't seen anything of you for a while! Now I know.

I agree with Cloacas, there is a nice richness of character that could make this a full blown novel.

Very well written, you have a nice gift and I hope to see you use it often!

CrossCountryLoverCrossCountryLoverover 18 years ago
Sadly, I guess size does matter...

The few negative comments I see about this story is mainly regarding it's length. To me (trying to author some stories myself), I appreciate the effort, thought and difficulty that goes behind putting together longer, more involved stories. It's not easy. When done well, such as in this story, it brings enjoyment, entertainment and edjucation to the readers.

Bbookmarks were invented for a reason. The author doesn't have to shorten it or break it into posted chapters for us. Just like the characters in this story needed to do, we as readers need to take some responsibility. Look at the length, style and genre of the story before you begin and then decide if you want to invest the time to read it. Sometimes I like it being posted all at once, rather than having to wait for the next posting to see what happens next. Then I can read it at my pace.

My hats off to you and thanks for a great story.

luvsa_hummerluvsa_hummerover 18 years ago
Long story

I normally dont read storys this long on this website but yours grabbed my attention and held it through most of the story.

Blue88Blue88over 18 years ago
Whew

What can I say that hasen't already been said in the other comments. Extremely well done, emotional, delving into the damage that infidelity causes. I liked the ending and also liked the fact that the happy ending was preceded with agony, torment and much uncertainty. In this case, the adultery of one spouse did not totally destroy the untion, but it came very close. I think that we all acknowledge that most of the time there is no happy ending - the union just ends with a whimper, not a bang. Thanks Longhorn, you make this site worthwhile.

gizzmo301gizzmo301over 18 years ago
Great

what can I say it was a long story but a great one.. Very very well done

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
not too long & it all makes sense

Yes, it took a long time to tell us about Steve & Barb and the rest of the cast. It was worth it. Also, Great story - He had to be the one that got her P.g., because she never had intercourse with anyone else.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
thank you for writing a story to the end

a good story and to the end,no two sentences and wait for two days or weeks.

spacer xspacer xover 18 years ago
This story is so good...

...and Longhorn's other stories are so good that I just added him to my favorite authors list. I just did a quick check of Literotica's "250 Favoritest Authors", and Longhorn isn't even on there! That's just wrong. This story shows he's clearly one of the best authors gracing this website.

I'm sorry for the readers who had trouble with the story's length. It may be long, but there's no fluff to it.

Tail End PeteTail End Peteover 18 years ago
Worth the wait!

Thank you for a really good story. The wait was worth it.

On a structural note, more than a few pages overlap from one to the next. That I can deal with, but a few times the pages gapped and I had to try and figure out what had happened during that gap. On a more positive note, it was nice to read a story without the grammer and spelling problems.

Anyway, thanks again for the story.

rpsuchrpsuchover 18 years ago
very well done

All the elements. I'm shocked at the score.

To anonymous who left the "helpful" critique that it was too long: that's not helpful. "You spent too much time on the sister's youth." That would be helpful if that's where you feel he went awry. "We didn't need any incident from the therapist to prove his bona fides." That would be the kind of thing that would be helpful. "It's too long," is of no value to a writer. He's probably already tried to think of what is absolutely necessary and what doesn't really advance the story. If you have something specific, he can understand that and it might turn out to be helpful. Maybe your complaint was that you thought the therapy went on too long, or too many sessions were described. How does he have any idea how to approach it with just a simple, "Too long?" I'm not saying you're right or wrong; just that it doesn't help.

There was one comment that suggested it might be too short. That's easier to approach and Cloacas indicated some direction in that regard.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Very good story

I enjoyed your story very much

Liddel PeggerLiddel Peggerover 18 years ago
Thanks

First, it is not unusual for me to ignore stories that have a 01 in the title, or any other indicator that it is part of a long series. Who knows when or if I will ever get to read the remaining chapters? If this had come out in pieces, I probably never would have read it.

The story was a very enjoyable read. Thank you for taking the time to write this for us.

Lydia was enjoyable for the most part. However, I think she could have encouraged her granddaughter to be more sexually adventuresome without her own toy collection spilling out into the room. My wife and I are pretty sexually adventurous. Yet I can’t imagine we would be showing our children, or grandchildren the actual toys that had been inserted into their mother or g’moms vagina or anus. Typing the word "dildo" into any search engine would probably have given Barbara more than enough ideas on how to ignite her sex life. Instead, poor Barbara will forever have to visualize old Nony bent over with a clear blue butt plug rammed up her ass. Can you ever wash your hands enough after touching your Nony’s favorite anus stretcher?

When the Kimberly character was first mentioned, you knew that she was going to come into play, in a sexual way, later in the story. However, by not building that up a little better, it almost seems like she was inserted in a rewrite. I really liked the way you used her for revenge and what Steve perceived as a solution. However, without double checking, my impression is she was mentioned at the initial family meeting and then boom, she comes over much later in the story, and is all over Steve. While you tried to blend her in at that point and backtrack enough to explain her and her behavior, it would have been more enjoyable if her character had been "brought along" better.

It wasn't too long for me. I did not think you drug the story out needlessly. My impression of those complaining is that there are too many words between “the good parts” for them to be able to enjoy it. If something about it bothers you, don’t bitch, just go on to something else. Part of it, I read this morning and finished it this afternoon. It was there for me to enjoy at my leisure in whole or in part.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Loved It

Thoroughly enjoyed it.Eric J Smith

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightover 18 years ago
Your talent is tangible!

Read the comments and see how you have pleased, entertained, and inspired your readers! Simply a wonderful read by an exceptional writer. I am proud to know you, cyberly speaking.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
One of you best works.

And one of the best I've ever read. I still like your "Separate Lives" better, But then again it's my all time favorite story. If anyone liked this story and hasn't read that one then you really need to give it a try.

As to the length I didn't find it at all to long. I'd much rather have it all at once or broken into sections that the author posts each day or two. I hate having to wait days and weeks to pick up a story again. If I don't have time to finish a long story then I can stop, add that page to my favorites then pick up right where I left off when I have time.

I haven't seen many comments from the anti reconciliation people yet. I've been meaning to give my views about that for a while. They are right when they say a cheater is most likly not going to change. In real life Barbara would most likly have never been able to stop lieing and spinning the truth or admit what she did was adultery. Steve would have soon moved out of state and left no fowarding address.

With that said I do think people can change. I read one comment that quoted Dr. Phil "The best way to predict future behavior is by past behavior" I don't think Dr. Phil is saying that is the only behavior that person is capable of. If so just what is it he's doing for a living?

Do I think the change needed for this reconciliation is likly? No. Look at what it took in this story. Barbara had to realize that she needed to change or she was going to lose Steve, And love him enough to do it. Steve had to care enough to give her a chance after he had nothing but lies from her for months and had already given up once. Even then it wouldn't have been enough without a really clever grandmother and some luck.

But you know what? I like unlikly storys. I want to read about unliky people that love each other enough to change. If I want to read about what happens to most people in a mess like this I'll pick up a newspaper or copy of the legal news.

Metzov

slaughtersgirlslaughtersgirlover 18 years ago
wonderful!

This story drew me in from the moment I began. I started it at work and pulled it up again as soon as I got home this evening. You are such a talented writer! I know because I felt a real connection to the characters and a desire to keep reading through all the pages (which I never do!). Please keep writing stories like this, that are both erotic and intelligent.

rip32rip32over 18 years ago
Steve Was Screw

While this is an interesting and well written story, it is apparent to me that the author has never been in the position of complete betrayal. He has never sat alone in a house at night looking down the barrel of a pistol, and wanted to pull the trigger.

His wife has disrespected him in public, and is cheating on him. When, he leaves her, and throws himself in his work to get past the pain, and try to get on with his life, his bosses basically tell him that if he is not good enough to keep his wife, he is not good enough to be promoted. This after the years he has spent going to school after his regular work, and apparently doing good enough work to be promoted, suddenly he is not good enough.

His ego has taken a tremendous blow in finding that he can’t keep his wife happy, now he finds that his bosses are not happy with him. So much for being rewarded for dedication and good job performance.

He is forced to face his pain and short comings to the point that he finally does pull that trigger, but instead of a fast easy death from a bullet, he chooses a slow painful lingering death from AIDS.

Lydia and his bosses are so proud of themselves because he is back with Barbara, they ignore the fact that their actions drove him to suicide.

If he could have stayed away from Barbara, buried himself in his work and gotten the deserved promotion, he could have regained his self-esteem and gotten on with his life.

What??? No one knew his depression was this bad??? What kind of therapist could miss the signs from a man force to attend the therapy sessions? He didn't catch on until after the trigger was pulled.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Other Authors take Note

Constructively - the length had pros and cons - impatience to see chapter 2,3&4 might have been better in my mind given the time and focus available necessary for a complete read - worth it in every way but only with a break for lunch and --.

Other authors hopefully will see that while infuriating him through three situations the flagrancy wasn't truly insurmountable over the long reconciliation period the author wisely used - nice touch on the lie detector.

I cocked my head just once when he suddenly capitulated to her coming home - but at that stage in his depression I could see that he felt that the whole situation was so screwed up how could this hurt anymore than what had preceeded it.

Sterling work Author - but a reconciliation also takes time, introspection, both viewpoints and pages to be credible as you have shown here. Very entertaining and imaginative - thanks again - With High Regard

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
really well-done

Just wanted to add my voice to the others who are rightfully praising this story. It is long, but it is also very involving; and perhaps because it is so long, the gradual move towards a reconciliation becomes more believable (for me at least).

Many congratulations on a great story!

ohio

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Well, I have to step away from the crowd.

I didn't like it. The writing was fabulous so it got a high mark. But I just couldn't believe the premise. At 53 I know that a cheater will always cheat. Ok, may be 1 out of 10. And having been in "therapy" I know that is very seldom works.

I was put off by his being adamant about the divorce and because he caved under pressure from his employer and family.

I usually like your stuff and the writing was good, but I just couldn't buy into the scenario.

Sorry

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Length

Obviously the story was long... but... its great when a story is long and it is so well writen. The characters pain was felt by all who read it leading to a story that wraps you and doesn't let you go. I always enjoy a great read and you gave us one. Thank you for your time and your words.

gatorhermitgatorhermitover 18 years ago
What a story

Thanks for putting this all in one post.

I appreciate your emphasis on how hard it is for two people to recover from infidelity, lies, and deceit. I went through a situation painfully close to this one but we we not successful in reconciling (I ended up raising our children).

Well told tale. I think you could flesh it out and turn it into a novel.

kydreamrkydreamrover 18 years ago
One of the best stopries I've read yet

I've been reading stories here for over four years now, and this one is bouncing between the one and two spot as my top story. This story is amazing for the depth of character development and the intenisty of the plot. The tension hits a high point in the first couple of pages and doesn't ease down until near the end. Oh, and thank you for putting this story together as a single read. It helps keep the story moving at a tight pace which can't but help the intended emotional highs and lows.

Longhorn, You've joined Softly, Wanderer, and Ronde as my top authors!

More specifically, Barbara's grandmother, Nony, is a work of art. Wish I'd had a grandmother like her when I was a teenager! I also loved his defense of the working guy when he verbally takes on Jimmyboy at that dinner! As for his depression, I've been there myself, staring at the shotgun standing in the corner of my bedroom, and thinking about how one tight squeeze would end my own pain. Thankfully I also thought about how much pain I would cause in my family and friend's lives.

Best Wishes,

Kydreamer

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Great Writing, but

This is a bit unbeliveable. There's no way Steve should take her back. No job would MAKE someone go to counseling. The writing more than makes up for this unplausible story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Simply Outstanding

Excellent story. The character development was superb, and actually made me care about the actors; a rare feat. Keep up the good work!

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Finally!! It took me all day but I read it all

great love story and cheating wife story combined. Nicely done and very enjoyable. Thanks for a great read Longhorn. Now I'm going to bed! I'm very tired and my eyes hurt.Vastie

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Best on site

Great writing, great characters, great storyline. Maybe in the real world a cheater will always be a cheater, but isn't that part of what makes stories great? Its not the real world?

rpsuchrpsuchover 18 years ago
A word on improbability

If I take the 1 in 10 figure by 53-yo anonymous, there are in excess of 50,000,000 marriages in the US. Over half end in divorce. Let's use a conservative 50% from infidelity, 12,500,00. One in ten is 1.25 million instances in which the cheater gets it and doesn't reoffend or the parties can reconcile effectively. Even if the odds aren't good, the sheer number of instances means it happens a lot.

Next, people change. Almost everybody changes. It's one of the reasons people who marry young have a much higher divorce rate - they are very different at 40 than they were at 20. Some mature, some don't. Some change for the better, some don't. Dr. Phil's line is that past behavior is the best PREDICTOR of future behavior. The very word, predictor, admits that it is far from a certainty, that there is wide variation in the behavior. Many people learn from their mistakes. And these mistakes tend to be dramatic enough so that they are easier to learn from. You may lose your spouse, children, home, job, respect of others, even your family. Even if you reconcile, your life is changed and your relationship is likely not as good. On top of all that, you have caused incalculable pain to someone you love, or did love. That's enough to make a sufficient impression to remind you not to repeat the behavior.

However, on the other side of the ledger, Phil also says you teach people how to treat you. This suggests that the easier the innocent party makes it to reconcile, the more likely it is to happen again (again, suggests is a word that doesn't imply certainty of the result). The less pain, the less memorable. The lower the cost, the less the need to avoid the behavior. The auto companies make that calculation. Does it cost more fix the car or pay off the death claims?

One final item, so I don't have to add a post. The answer to did I deserve to be betrayed is almost always no. Maybe I contributed to the conditions, but your behavior has to be pretty brutal to deserve it. Most of whatever happened was a choice somebody made. It is certainly painful. But the betrayal tells you much more about the betrayer than the betrayed. Just like when someone goes out of their way to insult you, that tells you much more about them as a person than it does you about some weakness or defect in your character, even if the insult is dead on. The one thing a betrayal may tell you is that you make unwise estimations of people's character. I don't say this to minimize the emotional impact of being betrayed, but to say that to consider harm to yourself is, obviously I hope, not a rational approach to fixing a defect in somebody else's behavior or character.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Too Damn Long

I'll buy a book if I want something that takes all day to read!

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Very impressive

16 pages and I only saw one typo (paid instead of pain). Other authors should have such clean writing! I also enjoyed the story, even if it was a bit long. I just don't know what I would have cut. Kudos.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Long but great

Yes it was long but it was also one of the best I have read. I might be dead at work in the morning but it was well worth it. Keep up the good work.

MinigalesMinigalesover 18 years ago
Great But ...

This is a very-well written story except for what I am going to say next.

When I reached the end of Chapter 3, I think, I was hoping he would not attempt to put them together but alas! I practically gave up when Nony was about to teach Barbara how to use the toilet. At least I thought that was coming next.

Longhorn is an excellent author who almost always if not always ends his stories with reconciliation. There is no problem in that per se. The problem is whether it makes sense to do that in the given circumstances.

I realize that the more outrageous the offense is, the more challenging it is for the auther to put the spouses back together. Everybody knows that. The authors compete in setting up for the hardest challenges that put their creativity and writing skills to the test. The problem is that it puts their skills to the test all right, but they fail at varying degrees of misery. Some problems simply cannot be resolved. There are cases where divorce or separation make sense. Authors need to acknowledge that.

For this story, Barbara started as a moron. Her grandmother and the counciling built up her wisdom and brains at an unbelievable rate. If she had opted to continue that a month more, she would have beaten Einstein.

Maybe this happens in real life as someone worked on some probability below. However, I do not like reading about morons. Other people may like that. I like to read about people of about average intelligence.

I apologize for being a little harsh, but the grade of the author and the expectation from him were well above what he delivered here. I expected a near perfect story. I did not get it. After all, I can only express my opinion here.

saw_man1saw_man1over 18 years ago
Lucky me

I travel a great deal and this current cross country trip was the perfect occasion to read this wonderful story. I sat in seat 4A, angled my laptop away from the person next to me, and proceeded to be drawn into this rich and extremely well written story as I flew from Atlanta to the Pacific Northwest. I take this flight often but this time I was oblivious to almost everything around me save this story.

With so many comments having been left before me, I’m sure that all of the pertinent superlatives have been used up. So I will simply say well done and thank you very much for sharing your talent with us.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Excellent...

...story, very well told. I appreciate the real time and effort that you must have put into this - it took quite a while to read through - which is good! How can you build characters and a storyline without the details...!

As for the comment by someone else....

"TOO DAMN LONG - I'll buy a book if I want something that takes all day to read!"

There are PLENTY of short stories you could have read! It's not the author's fault that you have the attention span of a concussed goldfish. The fact that you put this comment in the comments section of the story meant that you DID read it! Who forced you?

The NavigatorThe Navigatorover 18 years ago
Great story

Extremely well written...and perfectly editted. What I found most unusual was the author's ability to change the dialog for the different characters, to perfectly conform with each one's personna. Verne Houston *always* talked like a therapist. Lloyd, like a father-in-law, etc. Perfect character development. Soon we felt comfortable with our understanding of each character, only to find out later we gained further insight into what made each tick -- and our first impressions were not diminished, but reenforced! That is, indeed, a gift to be able to write like that.

Making a cheating wife story come out so the husband can take her back without being a wimp is one of the most difficult tasks of erotic story telling. The author tricked us by having the wife's cheating get up to, but not cross, the line of bedroom infidelity. That gave the husband some wiggle room when he had to struggle with his own emotions.

Again, the author tricked us when Steve, in his awful depression, attempted suicide, with Kim as the weapon, then allowed Barbara to show her complete devotion by committing her own "suicide" as well -- like two lovers jumping off the bridge while holding hands

At first, its length appeared daunting. But as I got involved with it, finding time to finish the read was the daunting problem. I almost passed this one by, it's title didn't grab me. Fortunately for me, I came back to it. Surely, it will be one of the top scoring stories of the entire library!

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Thank You

A great story. I really appreciste your effort. Keep writing.

EffectEffectover 18 years ago
Great story

At first the length of the story scared me. I don't mind long stories like this but they do a bit to make me think twice. In this case though I've enjoyed all of Lonhorn's stories so far so I went right into it. Though I made sure to not read it all at once. GREAT story, one of your best. The way it was writen I felt for the guy, most of all though with the situation of the sister. She's present as being this somewhat innocent young woman, perhaps a bit of a tease with a big crush on the husband that seemed to grow with time. Yet all of that came crashing down the second the story talked about the video she was and then the husbands revelation as to what she actually was and was like. That's just from an outside point of view, that kind of image being shattered like that has to be extreme in a real family setting. I guess that kind makes it seem like the husbands and wifes problems not as important but I guess it put things in the proper light to a certain degree to make them realize just how bad things can get due to the sister and the parents realize what he himself was going through cause they most certainly didn't before that.

I did get a bit confused about him not picking up any STDs. Him not getting HIV I can understand since a person can be lucky like that I guess but nothing lesser though was a bit much. Hell even the HIV thing was pushing it a bit due to all the drug use, sex, etc.

Still in the end the emotional conflict was good and was starting to wonder if the wife would ever understand. The whole sister thing finally made her feel, at least to a degree, what he felt then the whole sleeping with him when she thought he was going to die so she could as well cause she didn't want to live without him speaks volumes. People say that but to actually go to the degree to make sure you share what that person has really does make a persons real feelings known I think.

Looking forward to the next one.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
LEAVE HER

SHOULD NEVER TAKE HER BACK

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Fabulous !!!!!

Without any quastion ... One of the greatest epic ever posted on literotica.

Many many thanks from the bottom of my heart.

louienohiolouienohioover 18 years ago
submitted in wrong format

This should have been submitted as a novel. Why? If it had, each chapter would appear 'new', and you would have a lot more reads. As is, it will fall off the 'new' board in a few days and after that be ignored. Why not rework it and submit it as I have suggested?

BTW, it's certainly a great effort.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Wonderful Story

It has taken me on and off all day to read, but it was well worth the time and trouble. The two main characters had flaws, which made them far more real and in the end I was cheering for both of them. Great stuff.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Whew

I finished it! And it was WELL worth it. Great job Longhorn!!!!

ZetaczyzZetaczyzover 18 years ago
QUALITY

I wish that every author could write with this quality. Good thing they don't -- I wouldn't get anything done but read their stories.

HHubbyHHubbyover 18 years ago
that was fantastic

Well that would without a doubt be one of the best stories I have read in a while. You told the story so well, the reader could share all the emotions with the characters, hate, betrayal, anger, etc.

I couldn't put it down (well i know it's on screen but you know what I mean)It was well worth not getting any work done for the best part of a day to read it. Would make an excellent movie. I don't know if you write for a living but with your talent maybe you should consider it. Good luck in the future.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Very Good ! ! !

This was a long story, but I am glad I took the time to read it from beginning to end. This was better than breaking it up into parts.

Steve was hurt by the actions of Barbie and he did the right thing by showing all of her indescritions to her family, lying to him and her family and kicking her out of the house. He did make some mistakes. First: He took her back and that was the biggest mistake. Once a cheat, always a cheat and she had proven that two time while they were married. He said he could not trust her and if he didn't know when he would ever be able to trust her again. She said she did not know if she could stop doing what she had done in the past, cheat. Well Folks, in my opinion that would be the final straw. With her saying that, he should have told his lawyer to proceed with the divorce no matter what roadblocks her attorney put up. Second: He let his boss discriminate over him be seeing a marriage counseler or he would not get the promotion. If Steve was as good at his job as the story portrayed him to be, then he should have let his firm fire him or not promote him based on him not seeing a marriage counselor and sued the firm for everything he could get his hands on. Since he was well repected, if he wanted to, I am sure he could have found another job and it would probably have been better that this one. Third: He liked and loved Barbie's grandmother, but she stuck her nose were it did not belong. Steve should never forgive her for interfering in their marriage problems and helping her resolving it by seducing him. When a man wants to have sex with his wife, he will ask, seduce her or take her. Just another example of an old TEXAS FART puting her two cents in where a dollar is required.

Besides that, it was a well written story.

fdkmanfdkmanover 18 years ago
Great Story But....

As all the others have said, this has to be one of THE best stories on this site. For once, an author has actually taken the time and effort to really explain WHY the husband takes the cheating wife back, though in this case I don't agree with him. I can understand the reasons because Longhorn took a lot of time to cover all the bases but I disagree with his conclusion. Unlike a lot of cheating wife stories Barbara didn't actually have sex (vaginal) with her lovers but Steve didn't know that so it was her lies, continual and unremitting lies, that did him in. He's already forgiven her twice and this time he actually catches her 'in the act' so to speak and he's more than justified in his actions.

I was really cheering for Steve as he pounded nail after nail in Barb's coffin in front of her parents. I really thought we had a guy who would stand by his convictions. He's not that old, late 20's, they'd only been married 4 years and she's cheated on him three times, so what does he really have invested in this marriage? Nothing, really.

I too question why Steve caved to the pressure of counseling. I have to believe that good old Lloyd and Steve's boss were golf buddies or something to make him put that kind of pressure on Steve. I agree, if he's willing to kill himself over the bitch he should have told his bosses to stick it in their butts.

I was also very disappointed in Steve and Kim. I was disappointed in Steve for falling for her crap. I was half expecting it to be a set-up to get Steve in a compromising position, film him as he had done with Barb and then for Lloyd to take him to the cleaners. That didn't happen but Steve succumbing to Kim was just as disappointing. For him to give in to his depression and willingly give himself whatever diseases the skank had showed that he should have been under a doctor's care if anybody had really given a crap about him but not even Nony did that.

It was a real shame to see what Longhorn did to Kim though. Was there any reason for him to make her such a coked out whore? No, not really. I sincerely believe it was WAY too over the top. What really should have happened is Kim should have been a good girl who resented the way her bitch sister AND her family had treated a really great guy who she’d loved since she met him. Now that she was old enough I would have liked to see her work to bring Steve out of his shell and fall in love with HER. Barb has had her three strikes, it should have been Kim’s turn.

However, what really got me was how everyone conspired against Steve when he was the injured party. It was refreshing to actually hear Steve tell Barb off about how nice it was that she was 'finding' herself and how great that was but nobody was doing a damned thing for him and he was the innocent party.

I agree with Steve too in that the 'I don't know why I did it' excuse is pretty lame, despite his running that red light. The two things have NOTHING to do with each other except to show that Steve had a brain-fart once and Barb didn't have a brain for years and years! That one person was right; she'd have been Einstein if the story had gone on much longer considering how intelligent she got in so short a time.

For those people who complained about the length of the story, you must have no idea of what character development is. A story this complex has to be long, this one probably should have been a little longer but it was at least long enough to give the reader a chance to make up their minds as to whether they agree with the reasons for the reconciliation or not. I, personally, think Steve was foolish to allow the pressure everyone put on him to succeed. He was correct, three times is enough for any man to 'forgive and forget'. It was an imposition for anyone, even Nony, to expect Steve to give her a fourth chance. For them to cry 'overreaction' is the height of hypocrisy.

As to Barb screwing Steve when she thought he was dying of AIDS, well to me that only proves she’s mentally unhinged. The romantics in the crowd will swoon to think that she loves her man so much she can’t live without him and was willing to die a slow painful death instead. I guess, but I think she’s nuts, plain and simple, especially since she didn’t KNOW Steve was HIV positive for sure. As with everything else in her life and this marriage she’s still acting without thinking first. God forbid she’d try to engage her brain before making a decision. She’s learned nothing after all those months of counseling. She and Steve had agreed that before they were intimate again they would both agree on it so what does she do at the first opportunity? She jumps his bones while he’s sleeping so he won’t leave her alive to have to deal with the results of her stupidity. She’s still the same selfish “me, me, me” bitch she’s always been. She doesn’t deserve Steve.

Thanks for writing a great story Longhorn, I just wish you'd ended it differently. Steve deserved better.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Excellent!!

It completely captured my attention all the way through! I can't wait to see what you do next...

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Finally!!!

Took me two days to read it. Very good story, the only problem I had was at the end of each page, started again on the next page. Could have cut it down at least four pages if the editor was on the ball.

The story itself I liked it.

Thank you.

cwbuddycwbuddyover 18 years ago
Love that Lydia

Great story. A little laborius to read at times but very good.

I didn't have a problem with Kim, I have known 3 Kims in my day and I am sure there are allot more Kims out there than anyone would guess.

Really loved Lydia's character, you could do a whole story on that character.

Thanx

CW

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Very nice

Longhorn, you continue to impress me. I am, admittedly, not a fan of the reconciliation stories. For some reason, though, you seem to be able to thoroughly articulate the thoughts and feelings of the betrayed spouse. Even though I may not agree with the outcome, I can appreciate the eloquence in which it is written. Great work! Now, when is the next story...

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
I can’t take it any more!!!

I have “just” reached chapter five, but I can’t take it any more. This is an overwrought, long-winded and the most verbose contribution I have seen in LIT. Which movie was it where one of the characters says “If you want to shoot - shoot; Shoot and don’t talk”? Ah, words of wisdom! You have the evidence - bring it on. What person would conduct this kind of drawn out drama with Mama, Papa, Grand Ma, did we bring the dog too? And did we forget anyone else? Oh yes, the wife came too. What a Soap opera!

Thank god for readers’ comments which alerted me to the coming of the inevitable “THERAPIST”. Suddenly I had a déjà vu. It’s like “Lyin’ Eyes”. You could not portray a worse distortion of a therapist if you tried. Based on four long chapters it seems to be even worse here. Fortunately I will not be there to be re-traumatized.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
longwinded and dreary

Wrap it and put it on a shelf maybe, condensed to 25% would help.

It drags.

don87654don87654over 18 years ago
Good, but could have been better

This was my second reading of this long, long story. My first grading of it was very harsh and I am sorry for that. But I remain....convinced that it was entirely too long. And it is not very much along the lines of erotic, or literotic, if you will. It instead gives the feeling of a novel. Entirely too much is offered in the counselling sessions with little eroticism included. The reader does not need so much definitive occurrences at the shrink's office along with all the debating. It took me well over 5 days to read it all, and to put it honestly, I got very bored in reading it. I gave you a '75' which would have been easy to give a '100' instead if it had not been for the lengthy descriptions of areas not at all erotic. There was not much fantasy, which I expect in these Literotica stories. There was also way too much machismo feelings in a husband "having been wronged". But that is just indicative of our sick, sick society that relies on dogmatic behavior to live under, as opposed to what God created in us and called "good", allowing for a freer swinging scenario(s) between grown men and women past their puberty years.

I suspect by your writing that you are capable of much more erotic stories with fantasies....I cannot help but wonder at why you would devote so much time to a story such as this in writing it with its serious lack of eroticism and fantasy.

charleybearcharleybearover 18 years ago
Good Story

Longhorn, I rate your story high because it was extremely well written and grabbed my attention and held it throughout. You told the story in your own way and the length to tell it is yours and yours alone to decide. To me it didn't matter if it was going to be long or short.

I appreciate your efforts a great deal and want you to know that. My comments below should not be construed as though I didn't like your story because I did a great deal.

The only problems I have with the storyline are as follows:

1. Steve may have overreacted because he thought she did more than she actually did. Not his fault though, because most of us would have assumed the same. And make no mistake, what she did was betrayal, but it could have been a lot worse. When he did overreact however he pushed long and hard for no contact and a non-compromising divorce action, but then gave in. Hard to believe.

2. When Lydia intervened and got his bosses to force the counseling issue, based upon where he was at that point, I do not believe he would have accepted the counseling. He was just too adamant that he was done with the marriage. A more believable response from him would be to tell his bosses to stuff it and get a comparable or better job with a competitor. I can't buy that he wouuld have caved at that point.

3. Once the counseling started we all knew that it was going to end up in reconciliation even though it took a lot of agony to work through it. It took Barb that long to realize just how badly she had messed up. Perhaps they could have reconciled on their own if she wasn't so blind to what she actually was doing to her husband. Anyway, deep down inside I am glad they reconciled and became more stable people sharing their fears, loves, desires, etc., but I still find it hard to believe that it could happen that way.

4. I also knew there would be a new baby in the end. *S* The whole miscarriage thing pointed to that. Might as well be totally happy right?

Thank you again for a very engaging story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Length No Problem; Plotting/Character Buildin, Yes

Long Horn is to be commended for having invested so much time, most of it quality time, in Literotica, "entertaining" us with his/her long, reconciliatory stories,,,

But as the last author/reviewer said: some of the things went on were not believable enough.

The wife --- he insisted --- having fucked up the marriage from her (to him) sexual activities was not enough. He would also need to fuck it up more, especially with her teenage drug addicted kid sister?, in order for him to feel real or good or satisfied?, so they could continue with the therapy (which took 3/4 of entire story!!!), so they could come to some mutual understanding about fucking up a marriage, so the smart therapist could make them open up to each other, shear mutual tears and such?

Complete nonsense!

For a man who's been wrong and who's been doing so much agonizing and soul searching as this husband --- always showing the in-laws pictures and videos of THEIR DAUGHTERS doing sex acts and drugs activities,,,, this guy's deviance turned out to be worse than both sisters deviance put together!

The author didn't likely know that! I'm sure he had the intention to create a long suffering, torn, and confused husband,,,, but his final product was a husband of the worst kind: vindictive, voyeuristic, unfaithful, faithless, unreasonable,,,,,

But, again, over-all a good job on the laborious writing.

TiggerTooTiggerTooover 18 years ago
Counseling not realistic?

A number of commentators on this and other stories have stated that the counseling was not realistic. That tells me nothing.

I plead ignorance on what real counseling should feel, look and sound like. Why don't you people who know, tell us what that is, so we all know.

Until you do that, Longhorn_07's description must stand, in the minds of those of us who don't know, as being a reasonably accurate portrayal. Merely stating otherwise does not validate your comment. At that point, it's just your opinion with no facts to back that up.

Please let inquiring minds know.

In the absence of any information to the contrary, I liked the story as written and consider it acceptable as is.

Thank you for using your talent to entertain us.

Phil

Nightowl22Nightowl22over 18 years ago
Very good story!

I think it is very well written and it is just as long as it needs to be. The reconciliation seemed ok to me. It took quite a bit of time for it to occur. It really wasn't an overnight switch. Ok, so her charater did some major adjusting. It would seem logical it would change altogether rather than just one small segment?? Does the "once a cheater always a cheater" apply to those who go through counseling?

Lydia is a good character, likable and earthy and still a little tricky.

Barbara hasn't 'changed' so much as 'returned' to her earlier character--when they first married.

Steve runs the emotional roller coaster, so finally coming to a halt wasn't that hard to accept. And he really loves Barbara so he really wants to believe she is repentant. Not hard to believe for me.

Really enjoyed the all day story!

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Excelent

Great Story with the depth that is lacking in most of the writings here. Took a while to get through, but was worth the time. A great and enjoyable read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
You wore me out

Longhorn:

That's not a complaint about the length of your story. Rather it's a complaint about trying to read the whole story at 2:00 am. I didn't want to read it in bits and pieces so I soldier'd (sailored?) on. When I finished it I was too tired to comment. I've had some comments here and there about some of my stories being overly long so I know whereof I speak. It is a great story. Not of infidelity, although that's the central theme, but rather, can it be overcome? You spend most of the story dealing with the process and the mental adjustments necessary by all concerned which will allow it to happen. That is unusual on this site as that is usually added to the stories in a very superficial manner. Well done for the worthwhile reading, and for the way you covered a hard subject. Thank You. Ronnie W.

Longhorn__07Longhorn__07over 18 years agoAuthor
Author's Note:

Now that the dust has settled, I'd like to clear up a few items. First, because of its length, I submitted this story to LE in the Novels & Novellas category. LE changed the category to Loving Wives, albeit with my permission. Second, the problem where some lines from the bottom of one page are repeated at the top of the next is a product of the processing “machine” LE uses. I don’t know what causes it. Perhaps someone from the staff could explain it to all of us. Third, “Steve” did have some STDs he caught from his unprotected sex with “Kim.” He was allergic to penicillin but was desensitized so the STDs could be treated. I apologize for not making that section clearer; I think I was more concerned with getting the products of my research in that area correct than I was in writing coherently. I’ll use the confusion I inadvertently created there as a lesson learned.

To those professional counselors who have emailed me with compliments on how well I developed the character of the counselor, as well as the couple’s counseling sessions themselves, thank you. I spent many hours reading up on counseling techniques and your kind words are my reward for doing that.

Thanks also to all those who emailed me, either anonymously or with their email addresses in the message so I could reply. I will respond to all messages with a “return address.” For the folks who ask questions, please make sure you aren’t sending the question anonymously, okay? I can’t respond if I don’t know where to send one. :)

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Incredible!!!!

This story is very long, but would not have the impact it does if it wasn't. I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the ability to get into the characters. You did a magnificent job--WELL DONE!

Sam

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Very good

Longhorn seems to like long and detailed stories, but he puts the effort into the story that makes it rewarding to read. It does have a couple places where plot points are telegraphed a bit in advance, such as ending with Barbara being pregnant, and when Barbara's sister is the one Steve has sex with during the counseling.

The counselling showed a lot of attention to detail and consideration of real issues.

I look forward to the next story by Longhorn

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Very Well Written...

I like adventure and adventure stories. Longhorn really has put a lot of work into making this a reading adventure. I liked the way it helped me consider my own motives and acting-out fantasies and actions.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Amazing story!

Freaking brilliant. There were so many good scenes I can't even pick one to comment on. The best was when she thought he had HIV. You really had me going, I thought I somehow missed that she actually KNEW he had it. I was afraid I was going to be depressed all night. It was an amazingly clever way of her demonstrating how afraid of losing him she really was. A+

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
well done

This was masterful. All the characters had more than one dimension, even the minor characters of Elaine, Lloyd, and Kimberly. Very believable storyline as well, it kept me reading, kept me wanting to know what was going to happen next.

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Encore!

The story was brilliant it self! Durring the begining where the mood was dark, you felt as if you were in his shoe's. Then towards the end when everything got better, it felt like I could breathe again! The only problem was the lack of sex seeing as how there was about only 4 sex acts in this, decent length though. However the whole store it's self made up for it. Brilliant!

AnonymousAnonymousover 18 years ago
Good job.

Good story, even if it did turn out to my liking. Thanks for wriring.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 18 years ago
WOW

That was great... simply great... it helps in my mind to understand the forgiveness part without the wimpness part.. Thanks alot for your time and consideration on this story!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 18 years ago
exellent

great writing ..look forward to more stories like this

AnonymousAnonymousabout 18 years ago
Pretty weak

I felt like the husband was a real whiner in this tale - a pretty big baby.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous