Dixie Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Help is on the way. Where were you shot?"

"In the hip somewhere, but I don't know how she missed me with the other five rounds. Damn it's starting to hurt."

It didn't take long to relate the sequence of events to the police, and in the meantime Loren was treated and was on the way to the hospital. Linda and Holly drove to the emergency room and waited to learn how serious Loren's wound was.

The doctor came out less than an hour later and told them, "As you know, he was shot once. The bullet managed to hit his femur so he's on his way to surgery to get that taken care of, but other than that he's doing fine and even joked with the nurse."

Holly smiled and said, "Then the nurse must be a young woman."

The doctor smiled and told them, "You're right. Anyway, he'll be in the O.R. for a couple of hours and then in recovery for a couple more hours, so my suggestion would be for you to go home and rest for awhile. Give him a good four hours to get to his room and then you can see him."

"Thank you. So it isn't terribly serious then."

"Anytime you go to surgery it's serious, but I have every reason to think he'll be just fine. He will have a few weeks of healing of course."

It was a long four hours before they were directed to Loren's room and Holly could see for herself that he was going to be okay. He stayed awake long enough to talk for a minute and they knew he was going to be okay when he said, "Well at least I don't have to worry about what Ginny is going to try next. I doubt she'll taste freedom for a long time to come." After that, even though he tried to stay awake, he'd slip off, so the next time he dozed off Holly and Linda left and went home.

About noon Tuesday, Holly went up to see Loren and he was lying there with his head up about half way and a nurse was taking his blood pressure. When she was done, Holly said, "Hey Tex, tell me about that gun fight."

"I lost. I was smiling and she was shooting. Not a fair fight at all."

She kissed him and then asked, "How do you feel?"

"Not bad. They have my pain meds set just about right. I'm awake at least part of the time and the pain isn't bad at all."

The doctor appeared and standing at the foot of the bed asked him, "How are you feeling?"

"Not great, but I've felt worse."

"Your surgery went by the numbers. You have some metal in your femur now, but magnets won't stick to your leg," and he smiled at his own little joke. "Okay, here's the plan soldier. You'll continue your visit here until tomorrow afternoon and then you'll be discharged with crutches. I'll see you before you leave and we'll chat about the rules to be followed for the next month or so. Questions?"

"None that I can think of," Loren told him.

"So no steps and that sort of thing then right?" Holly asked him.

"That's right. Not until at least after his next x-rays in about four weeks. Then maybe yes. Loren, I just don't want you to fall, because one fall could really set you back."

Chapter Thirty Five

Life went on. Linda and Holly worked hard at Corporate Travel Assistance. The weekend after Loren was released from his activity restrictions, they flew down and spent the two days with Sandy and Chuck on the Dixie's Dream, taking short day cruises to the north toward Virginia and then back. They spent time sunning in the nude and Saturday night, they traded partners and Sandy spent the night with Loren in the VIP stateroom.

They were coming in late Sunday afternoon and were nearing the marina when Rita called Loren and told him, "You aren't going to believe this, but Ginny shot Frank."

"She what?"

"He's dead Loren and so is she. She shot him right in his room and then calmly walked out leaving the pistol on the table and then went home and at some point well before she got home, she overdosed on Vicoden. I guess all of that happened last evening, but I just learned of it from Gordon."

"I can't believe this Rita, was she out on bail?"

"Yes."

"Is there a need for me to rush back?"

"I don't see that you can do anything, but I knew you would want to know."

"She really went off the deep end."

"Without a doubt."

"Rita, I don't know what I'd do without you and thanks for letting me know."

"You're welcome. Frank and Ginny never had any children and I don't know that there is much in the way of family for either of them, so I don't know what will happen now."

"Thanks again and as soon as we get in tomorrow morning I'll change and be in. Call me if you learn any more."

"You know I will. Enjoy what's left of your day."

"I'll raise a glass of wine to you, bye." Loren closed his phone and shared the news with the others.

"Loren," Chuck said, "You live one hell of a life."

"I'm ready to get off of this crazy merry go round. Damn it, she wasn't like this before, what happened to her?"

"I've been thinking about your Ginny a lot and what you just learned plays right into what I've come up with. Here's how I see it," Chuck said. "Once Frank was confined to his wheelchair, she knew her life would never be as good again. Next, as silly as the idea was, she failed to get you to buddy up to her and let her have your job, so that really got to her. She tried, who knows how many more times, or how many people she screwed, to get her way only to fail again and again. Then Frank cut off most of the money so she actually had to live on less, or at least based on what you've told me that was the case, so that was yet another failure that further dragged her down. Next came a big one when he filed for divorce. As if all of that wasn't enough, many of those things I've listed happened in rapid succession. She tried to kill you and failed, so that was yet more damage to her psyche. Because of her shooting you, she ended up being charged with assault with a deadly weapon and weapons charges. Bang, yet another step into her living hell. That took more of a toll on her. She was her own worst enemy, but she wouldn't, or couldn't give up. Now, what you've just told us follows my theory. She was obsessed so she had to do something, anything other than just accept her situation. I would guess that she decided that if nothing else, she was going to punish the one person in her life that had so totally failed her by getting sick and then abandoning her completely. She has slowly sunk into an abyss of mental illness. Well, that's how I see it anyway."

"Well that certainly sounds about right."

Ginny was a depressing topic, so Holly said, "Loren would be lost without Rita. She's his very efficient secretary, his very efficient personal assistant, his personal spy and she's well connected in the gossip circle."

Sandy watched Loren as Holly went on and then asked Holly, "I suppose she's single and good looking as well."

"She got a divorce about...eight or nine months ago, but I'd have to say she's nice looking. Nothing exceptional, but she really knows how to use the assets that she does have."

Sandy was still studying Loren as she asked, "And just what are those assets as you see them Holly?"

"She's a very good executive secretary. She's very charming, has a smile that worries me sometimes, and has a thin waist and a butt that I just know all men would kill to put their hands on."

"Is that right," Sandy asked Loren as she smiled.

"That's about right I think. She's very intuitive too. She knows what I want or need almost before I do. She's a damn good assistant and Holly's right, I'd be lost without her."

Sandy looked over at Holly again and told her, "Too bad she doesn't work for you Holly, because with her on board your life could be simpler."

"Wouldn't that be nice."

"Well you can't have her," Loren said smiling. Besides, you could never appreciate her butt like men do."

Sandy was still smiling at Loren as she asked, "Does she know that she has this...um...desirable tush?"

Before Loren could answer, Holly said, "Well does the fact that she likes to wear knit skirts and dresses that are on the short side tell you anything?"

"That tells me a lot."

Chuck stepped in and said, "Loren, why is it you've never introduced me to your secretary?"

"You're never there except on weekends."

"I think I need to do something about that," and Sandy and Holly just smiled and shook their heads.

Chapter Thirty Six

"Mr. Banks, this is Conrad Overton, Frank Adler's attorney."

"Yes of course, how are you Mr. Overton?"

"Doing well thanks. Loren, as you know I'm sure, Frank was murdered just over three weeks ago, and as executor of his estate I have some business that involves you. Would it be possible for you to stop by this afternoon sometime. I'll be in court a good part of tomorrow and Wednesday."

"I can make a point of it. Could we make it late this afternoon?"

"How about five?"

"That would be perfect, I'll see you then." After he hung up he went out and told Rita, "I have to leave here about four thirty, so if you have anything for me let me know. Also see if you can find out where the hell Conrad Overton's office is."

"It's on Grayson, in that group of offices close to Windom."

"Now how the hell is it you just happened to know where his office is?"

"His office handled my divorce."

"Oh right, I forgot about that nasty detail."

"I'm still trying to. Will you need any files?"

"No, it has something to do with Frank, but I don't have a clue."

"Okay."

Before Loren could go back to his office, Brenda from Human Resources came in and handing an envelope to Loren said, "This was in the mail room in my mailbox."

"Thanks Brenda," and Loren opened it as she disappeared down the hall. Seconds later he looked at Rita and said, "Oh shit."

"What's wrong Loren?"

He looked at the open door to the hall and said, "We better take this to my office," and he led the way as she came round her desk and caught up with him, closing the door behind her. "Rita," Loren said as he sat down, "I don't know if this is legitimate, but somebody unnamed is accusing Ray Canon of manipulating accounts."

"Ray, as in CPA Ray?" and she dropped into the chair to her right.

"Yes, as in get Vita Norton his boss up here. Rita you better get on the phone and..."

"And get the auditors in here, okay, I'll call them. But Loren would you mind if I suggested something?"

"Of course not Rita, you know you can speak your mind with me."

"Let Gordon do the heavy lifting on this one. Of course you would officially be the driving force in this investigation, but Gordon could take a lot of the pressure off of you. You're about to go find out what Frank's lawyer is up to and it's only months until the union negotiations will getting your attention, and a whole list of other issues. I worry about you Loren."

"Thanks you. Do you think Gordon can...never mind we both know he can. Okay, get him up here would you, then call and get the audit...never mind, I'll put Gordon on that."

She smiled and stood up saying, "Loren, remember, this could just be a disgruntled employee."

"I know, but we have to look into it."

"Of course we do, but don't stress over it until you have to."

He smiled and said, "You sound just like Holly. Thanks for good advice Rita."

"Just doing my job boss," and she went out leaving his office door open. Loren sat there and watched her butt as she left and smiled as he recalled the discussion they had on the boat about her attributes.

Those thoughts were still on Loren's mind when Gordon came in closing the door behind him.

"Gordon, sit down because I'm about to ruin your day and maybe your weekend." Loren brought him up to date and Gordon barely breathed.

"Shit."

Loren leaned back a little and said, "That's about it, shit."

"Okay. I'll get the auditors in here and I'll get Vita up to my office and get her clued in. I'll get an update to you about my meeting with Vita and of course I'll keep you posted on other developments as they happen."

"Thanks Gordy." He looked at his watch and said, "I have an appointment so I have to get out of here, but you have my numbers."

"Of course." Gordon stood up and then stopped and said, "Loren, thanks for giving me a chance to make amends for my screw up with Ginny."

"Just tighten your jockstrap, because this could be a bumpy ride before it's over."

"Okay. I'll touch bases with you tomorrow," and he went out and smiled at Rita as he passed her desk.

Loren was ushered into Conrad Overton's office and then his secretary disappeared. They shook hands and Conrad said, "Good to see you again Loren, have a seat. Coffee?"

"No, but thank you Conrad."

"Loren I'm sure that since I am Frank's attorney, it was not a big surprise to you that I am the executor of his estate. Frank had no children as you know, and the only family that Ginny had is a younger sister that lives on the west coast."

"I didn't even know she had a sister."

"I'm not surprised. From what Frank said I don't think that Karen got along with Ginny at all. So that brings us to this. There will be no public reading of his will because the only people mentioned are Karen and you."

"Me? Oh, his coin collection."

Conrad smiled and said, "Well it's much more than just a coin collection Loren."

Chapter Thirty Seven

As Loren drove home and was trying to get his mind around what had just happened, he forgot about the envelope in the pocket of his suit coat.

The garage door was still open from Holly getting home when he pulled in next to her. At the last second he stopped himself and took a deep breath before he got out of the car, and then moved around to join Holly as she reached out to close the garage door. As soon as they were inside and the door was closed, Loren dropped his briefcase and put his arms around her and they shared a kiss. "Hi honey," he said as he smiled over at her and then promptly led Holly in to the living room. "Loren, you seem to be in a good mood tonight."

"Yes I am. We have a crisis at the office, but despite that crap I really am in a fantastic mood."

"What happened today to bring you home to me in such good spirits?"

"Let's wait until we've changed and have a drink in our hands."

As soon as Holly sat down next to Loren she said, "Okay now, I've been very patient

"Okay honey, now bear with me while I ask you a question. If you could buy anything you wanted, money no object, what would it be...or maybe, what would they be were you to have more than one thing in mind?"

"I've never spent time dreaming about things that are beyond our means, so I can't come up with anything without thinking about it for awhile. Where are we going with this?"

"Let me try it this way. Would you like to have a bigger or better boat for example?"

"Of course not. Honey, I didn't have any money at all not that long ago, so I'm still trying to accept the fact that we share a beautiful huge boat with Gwen. Less than a year ago I couldn't even afford to drive beyond Indianapolis and I had what I considered a huge school loan looming over my head. I still get the urge to cut out coupons to save a couple of dollars when I go shopping, and you want me to fantasize about things beyond my imagination?"

"Okay, but bear with me honey please. Would you call Sheila and Linda and get them over here? What I have to talk about could have a major effect on all of them as well as you and me and of course Missy."

"You're driving me crazy, can't you just tell me now?"

"I promise you that you'll know everything within the next hour or two and I also promise you'll love what I have to talk about. While you're calling them I'm going to make a couple of calls too."

With her calls made, Holly told Missy, "Linda and Sheila are on their way over and we need you to be in on whatever Loren has lined up to tell us about."

"You have no idea what this is about?"

"None, and if he doesn't start talking pretty soon, I'll do enough talking for both of us, and I won't be whispering." After talking for several more minutes, Holly stood up and said, "I better go see what he's up to."

Before Holly could leave, Loren appeared and went straight around to Missy.

"Would you make sure there is something for the four of you women to drink. You better make a generous amount because I have a feeling all of you are going to need something."

"Okay,"

Back in the living room, Loren said, "If you four ladies will squeeze onto the couch I'll tell you what this is all about. First of all Holly, what I say will all be dependent on your approval, though I don't think that will be a problem. Missy, I'll have something more to talk to you about later too, but again, I think you'll be amenable to my idea." Loren made sure he had their attention before he said, "You better start by emptying your glasses and then refilling them." They studied him for a second and then four glasses came up and were soon empty. He quickly refilled them, and then stepping back he announced, "I submitted my letter of resignation awhile ago and Graham will have it in the morning."

Holly looked like she might faint. "Oh my God Loren, what's going on?"

"I want to move all of us and your business to North Carolina. Close to Sandy and Chuck." There was complete silence as they stared at him. "That's right, all of us. Linda, Sheila and Missy, the move would cost you nothing because I'd pick up the tab to have your possessions moved. All you would have to do is all of you get on the plane and be met by a driver at the other end. He would then transport you to your new home or apartment, townhouse or whatever. Holly, Linda and Sheila, unless I'm wrong, you can run your business from there just as well as from here so that wouldn't be an issue."

Holly was stunned but she managed to say, "I guess that's true."

"I hope so, but you better have another drink first. Linda, I know you're buying your house, but what I propose is I'll buy it at fair market and then sell it. That way if it takes time for it to move you won't experience any financial stress and I won't lose any money either. Sheila, I would see that you have a nice apartment or townhouse to move into so you would experience minimal inconvenience or stress. Missy, if I can arrange it I'd like you to live with us but in your own apartment. If you'd rather not do it that way then other arrangements could be made. We would be within walking distance of Albemarle Sound and not far from our boat. Oh, and Missy there's something involving the boat that we'd want to talk to you about too. Okay, I know you have a thousand questions and I'll answer them, but while I talk to Holly for a few minutes you three talk about if you would want to move to the east coast." He stood up and then went over to Missy, and with his lips to her ears he whispered, "You'd get a nice raise too by the way. We'll talk later," and he and Holly disappeared in Loren's office and the door closed.

"Loren are you out of your mind? You can't just up and quit your job."

"Of course I can't, I'd have to give them at least two months warning and maybe more."

"That's not what I mean. What will you do then? We can't very well live on my income right now. Someday maybe, but not right now. After Sheila's salary and a little for Linda and me, we're only breaking even."

"I know. Sit down honey and I'll tell you my story. Conrad Overton, Frank's attorney called me today and I went to see him." Then he told her, "Frank left us a very large amount of money. We are now worth something in the range of three point eight million dollars."

Holly's eyes glazed as she stared at him. Loren, that's not possible. I mean I know you two were friends and all but..."

"Oh damn, Frank left me a letter, wait just a second." Loren reappeared a minute later and tearing the envelope open he stood there and read it in silence before he looked at Holly and said, "Basically he wrote that if I got this letter, that means that he and Ginny had died by some tragic accident. Little did he know who would be responsible for that so called accident Anyway, apparently this was written after he had filed for divorce and not long before Ginny shot him, because he talks about how disappointed he was in her. You can read the whole thing later if you'd like. Conrad told me a lot about what happened in Frank's life in the days before he was shot and I get the impression that Frank told Ginny that I was going to get the bulk of his money. He was punishing her is what it came down to. That probably had a lot to do with her going into a rage and shooting him. Honey, like I said, we're muli millionaires now and it's time that we started to enjoy our boat a whole lot more."