It Is What It Is, My New Age Adage

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It is what it is."

Did what happen when my friends shunned me cause me to be a lesser friend? No, unable to change who I am, me being a lesser friend would go against who I am as a person. I just need to understand that some people are born with an ocean full of caring and others are born with a thimble full of understanding. The insensitivity of some people is just as baffling as it is upsetting.

What I had to do to survive is to lower my expectation of others. What I had to do to get through all the shit that I had to deal with is to acknowledge that it was all up to me. And if I had someone there to help me through something, a true friend, then I was lucky. That one moment, my personal epiphany has helped me immensely and immeasurably. None of this could have been possible had I not learned that one simple phrase that has help to heal many of my wounds.

"It is what it is."

By chalking it up in that way, I'm better able to accept 'It is what it is.' It takes a lot of practice to give in to 'It is what it is,' just it takes a lot of patience and internal control to put The Serenity poem into one's daily life. One doesn't have to be dependent on alcohol and/or drugs to employ some of the life lessons and helpful knowledge being given at AA meetings. Even for those who don't believe in God, taking what you can use in your life and rejecting what you can't use in your life, the message is not only about God.

Anyone can have better control of their lives if they want to find some relief from problems and from people in their lives. The warning here is that your feelings about each situation must be felt, realized, and dealt with, before you get the pay-off and before chalking it up to 'It is what it is.' Not for the faint of heart, it's worth all that one must go through in order to achieve some measure of peace. It doesn't work if you just throw up your hands and say, "Fuck it!" It doesn't work if you run to the bottle, take a mind altering drug, or become so depressed that you're physically and emotionally incapacitated as I was.

Ask the tough questions of yourself about each scenario and then accept the reality of the situation. Don't try and sugarcoat things by seeing them as you wish they were instead of what is honest and true. Be kind to yourself while you figure out the truth because many times the truth will hurt you. I trust that you'll be fine eventually and will have a better understanding of life because sometimes, it's just...

"It is what it is."

Only, it was difficult for me to reconcile it is what it is when my creative writing teacher slipped in her mantra of reciting The Serenity Prayer morning and night and died of a heroin overdose. Unable to say it is what it is to that, her tragic and untimely departure made me wish she had called me. I would have been there for her.

Yet, maybe with her so ingrained with the thought that it is what it is, perhaps she thought that she was alone. Perhaps she thought she didn't have the control to change her destiny. Perhaps she put too much credence into 'It is what it is.'

The End

Please give me the support of your vote.

12
  • COMMENTS
3 Comments
jaybird8100jaybird8100almost 9 years ago
For some reason I cannot leave any stars, I guess "It is what it is" today but 5 stars work for me.

Needing a boost in my life, I looked for what has worked in the past-A Susan Jill Parker feature of the non erotic variety-written from both life experiences and straight from her heart, Susan's quality entries always hit the nail right on the head. This story is particularly touching as I have going through some medical maladies with little sense of satisfaction and getting results from both my friends and supposed friends similar to what was received by Susan as she related today. Where I used to enjoy going to morning and afternoon coffee, my caring attitude about everyone was cast aside, when my issues began. Knowing I'm afoot, those needed rides became non-existent. Now so-called friends came out of the woodwork offering rides for expensive tanks of gasolene, knowing I was desperate enough to let them take advantage of me just to get to Walgreen's or Walmart. While I am in awe of the 21 steps and serenity prayer, it takes more than prayer, in reality a helping hand or listening sounding board that offers some sort of rope to pull yourself out of the muck and mire of life. As I said when I started this review, sorry it didn't let me give the deserved five stars, but Susan also knows where my heart and mind are, and she is still Literotica's best! Smiles Jaybird :) :)

tennesseeredtennesseeredover 9 years ago
Well done

SJP, this is a very nice essay on living and overcoming adversity. It is just a little too long and could be tightened up, but you probably don't have an editor to help you winnow. I've noticed the same thing about your other writing; a tendency to ramble a bit.

I am glad you don't resort to irony and biting snarky-ness that some mistake for wit. That schtick is overdone everywhere, from TV to chick-lit.

Writing is your therapy, you say. Thanks for sharing it with us.

ham_sandwichham_sandwichover 9 years ago

"Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful. - John 14:27

Five stars!

Share this Story

Similar Stories

Swingers' Halloween Masquerade Ball Jim coerces his wife, Julie, to attend a swingers' dance.in Group Sex
Comforting My Neighbor's Daughter I fuck my innocent neighbor when she comes to me for comfort.in Mature
Rob is a Foolish Cuckold Ch. 01 Rob's wife gets a visit from two studs from her college days.in Fetish
Love in an Elevator Husband and wife put on a show for the elevator camera.in Loving Wives
Amanda Chaperones Wife, mom, Sunday school teacher taken again, or was she?in NonConsent/Reluctance
More Stories