Justin Thyme Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Callicious
Callicious
1,836 Followers

"Don't think I would call him that out in public. It's just a pet name for us among our friends and family. I wouldn't do anything to embarrass or belittle him for the world! He's just . . . well, he's just . . . he's just my Mikey, and there isn't another like him." She and Joanne smiled together in full understanding of the other's thoughts.

*****************

Michael and I finished installing the last of the lights and cameras, along with their solar panels just before three. I tested them with my laptop, and everything seemed to be online and good to go. I still needed to bring up the server and other paraphernalia I needed to make the system live, but that was for another day. On a whim we decided to run back up to my room and take a quick look at the bookcases and see if we could discover anything that would indicate a hidden doorway.

We wiggled shelves, felt along the tops for any possible latch, but found nothing. Just as we were giving up, deciding it was just an anomaly of design Michael looked at an old candle holding wall sconce next to the turret. There was another on the other side of the turret also; both with some very fancy metalworking.

"You could probably get a few bucks for these from an antiques dealer. They are certainly unique." Looking from one to the other he scratched his head, puzzled. "Why would you put sconces here? After total dark they would be helpful, but with any outside light they would be superfluous. They wouldn't really light the bookcases, either, although they are next to them. It's goofy when you think of it."

He put his hand back up to the nearest sconce, feeling it, and gave it a gentle twist, and it turned in his hand! A muted click from behind the bookcase was heard and when I pulled gently on the shelves they swung away from the wall revealing a small alcove with a small desk and a narrow vertical ladder going down a narrow shaft into the darkness.

Neither of us had a flashlight, and although it was getting later than we had planned to leave, neither of us could walk away from this find! After confirming the latch mechanism we carefully closed the bookcase door, after marveling at the careful engineering that would allow it to swing freely, but smoothly enough even with a heavy load of books it would not spill them. Hurrying down to Michael's Escalade we went looking for a store where we could get a couple of flashlights.

********************

Rosemary and Stephanie were foot-weary, but happy after a day of fittings and shoe shopping. Both girls had fitting appointments to check out their dresses following alterations in the late morning and although they already had shoes for the Prom no girl ever thinks she has too many shoes!

Rosemary sent a text to Susie telling her where they were shoe shopping to see if she wanted to join them, but she said she was busy and couldn't make it. Nothing was said as to why.

***************

The reason Susie couldn't join the other girls shoe shopping was that she was at the moment in the car with Joanne. They were on their way up to Phoenix to visit Joanne's dressmaker.

Joanne had asked Susie at the Dairy Queen if she had been able to go dress shopping for Prom since it wasn't certain until very recently that she would be recovered well enough to go. "I decided I would just wear my dress from last year. Michael hasn't seen it, so it will be OK. There just wasn't time to do any real shopping, and I don't fit very well in off the rack and shopping online was out." She was obviously disappointed, but put the best face on it possible.

"If you would allow it, I would love to take you to my dressmaker and allow her to design one for you. She does all custom work, and beautiful stuff. It would be my gift to you."

"Oh, thank you, but there wouldn't be time, would there? Besides, you folks have already done so much for me, and that would be too expensive."

Joanne held up a hand and shook her head "No." "I happen to know she has the time right now to fit you in if we can get you up there and get you measured. As to the cost, I'm half owner of her shop, so it won't be as expensive as you think. She was a roommate of mine in college who majored in design, but she didn't have the money to open her own shop, so I went in on it with her, and it is the best decision I ever made business wise. She has done dresses for the Governor's wife, and both of our Senator's wives, plus a lot of other well-known folks. Besides, when people ask where you got your dress, and trust me, they will, it will be good advertising for her."

Susie was obviously torn between wanting a new dress and not wanting to feel beholden. Finally she said, "Let me call Mom and tell her. If she has no objection and you really want to drive all the way up there for it I guess it would be alright."

"Even better, ask your Mom to go up with us! I'd really like to get better acquainted with her, too. We really didn't get to talk much at the restaurant the other night. Let me take a quick picture of you and give her your basic measurements and she can be doing a couple of sketches for you while we are driving up."

"You mean it will be totally custom?"

"Of course, my dear. It's all she does, and she is famous for it locally."

"Wow! Oh, Hello, Mommy. Joanne just asked me if I would like to go up to Phoenix and see her dressmaker about a new dress for Prom since we haven't had time to shop, and it's her gift. What do you think? . . . Here, why don't you just talk to her?" Susie handed her phone over to Joanne, who gained Madge's assent.

Picacho Peak was off to their left when Joanne looked over at Susie and paused before speaking. The three ladies had been enjoying each other's company, laughing and talking about a variety of subjects, of which Michael occupied most. "Susie, has Michael said anything about your dress for the Prom?"

"No, he hasn't. Why?"

"I rather thought so. He's that way. Will you accept some advice without taking it as criticism?"

"Sure. Have I done something wrong?" There was real concern in her voice.

"Oh, no! Not at all!" Joanne paused a moment. "This is nothing about anything you have done or are doing. We have not tried to push our religion on you, that is for you to decide, but if you and Michael are going to consider a life together there are some things you need to understand for it to work. Our religion teaches abstinence before marriage and modesty. Please understand, I'm not being critical, and I don't want to you feel like it is, but one reason I wanted to buy this dress for you, and have my dressmaker do it for you is to allow you to see a dress can be very beautiful and appealing without offending another's values."

"Have I been offending Michael? I didn't mean to!"

"Oh, no, dear. That isn't the case. He hasn't said anything of the sort at all. Everything he has said about you has been very positive! I'm just being a little pro-active. I know what a lot of Prom dresses are like and what I didn't want is for you to unknowingly get something that would tear you down in Michael's eyes. You see, I really think you are good for him, and I want to do all I can to help." Joanne gave Susie a big smile and a wink. "You have done a lot to bring him out of his shell. He isn't one who likes a lot of limelight and fuss. In fact, his father and I were beginning to think he would never find anyone that fit him, and we are so glad you to get a chance to get to know each other, although we would have liked it to be on different terms."

"Thank you. That was very sweet of you to say. I'm really glad I got to know him, too, and everything was worth it as far as I'm concerned. Having him there twenty-four hours a day for a week is a good way to get to know what a person is like, and I couldn't have done it any other way."

Madge leaned forward over the front seatback. "Susan, I hope you are paying attention to what Joanne is saying. We really like Michael, too, and we don't want to have something mess up your relationship just because we don't understand. Joanne, thank you for taking the time and trouble to help us understand."

*******************

The air in the alcove had the smell and feel of a long enclosed space when we reopened the hidden bookcase door. Michael and I both shined our flashlights down the ladder, but it went down far enough it was difficult to make out any real detail. It was obvious it went into a basement of sorts that no one even knew existed.

Michael insisted I should go down first since it is my house, and that he would be right behind me. I shook the ladder to be certain it was solid, but it didn't even wiggle, so I stepped gingerly onto a rung and began my descent. Although there was not a lot of room in the shaft it didn't feel oppressive. The walls were unfinished, so it was easy to tell when we reached each level of the house. I passed the third floor and continued downward. I could see a small platform at the second floor level and stopped there.

A door latch was obvious from this side, but without stopping to think it out I couldn't place exactly where it would come out on the other side. Michael stepped off at this level with me, and we discussed whether to explore this discovery now or later. We both decided it would make more sense to continue on down, since that was the obvious destination.

Another platform and door were on the first level as well, but we didn't even bother stopping as we continued downward. I could see careful stonework walls as I made my way to the lower level. My heart was beating quickly with anticipation and from the exertion of climbing down this vertical ladder as I paused and swung my flashlight around me. I was not prepared for . . . .

****************

Susie and Madge followed Joanne through the doors of Couture by Carole to be greeted by a tall, lissome woman with salt and pepper hair and tiny sewing glasses perched on the end of her nose. She quickly dropped the glasses, which were caught by a thin gold chain around her neck, and stepped forward to hug Joanne. Turning to the other ladies she said, "You have to be Susie. Much better in person than in the photo Joanne sent me! You are indeed lovely, and I think I have just what will make you the Belle of the Ball if you like it. And you must by Susie's mother. The eyes tell the tale! Please come in. Suzette will have tea for us in just a few moments."

Carole led them to a small office at the side of the shop between several manikins gowned with a variety of lovely dresses and evening gowns. Susie had to stop and finger the material on one in particular, a beautiful royal blue creation that shimmered in the lights of the store. "Isn't that a lovely piece?" Carole asked. "I made that for one of our Senator's wife for the President's Inaugural Ball. She is coming in for a final fitting later next week." Susie moved on toward the office just as Suzette came in carrying a silver tea set, which she set on a low tea table between two couches and some easy chairs. "Thank you so much Suzette. I want you to meet Mrs. Collins and Susie. Susie was just admiring the royal blue number we are doing for our esteemed Senator's wife. Don't you think she would look lovely in that color?"

"I think most certainly. I think it would bring out her blue eyes, and with that lovely blond hair . . . . "

Susie hanged her head at the mention of her hair. While it had grown out since the accident it was still quite short, and the scars could still be seen if you looked closely.

Suzette saw Susie's look of despair and interjected, "Susie, I know you have not had time to grow your hair back out again, but just because it is short does not mean it cannot be made to look nice. Jacqui, a friend of mine, does hair for ladies who have undergone chemo and their hair is just growing back in, and it is amazing what she can do. Let me give her a call and see if she has any suggestions, no?"

"On a Saturday afternoon?"

"If I call her she will work you in after hours if need be. She's just that kind of a person." Madge leaned forward and said, "Would you please call? I've been worried about what to do with it. It's growing back in nicely, but I didn't have any ideas. I thought about buying a wig for her, but I didn't think it would look right."

"Absolutely not. No wig!" Carole was emphatic. "A wig will not look right, I don't care how good a wig it is. She will be conscious of it, as will Michael and all of her friends that have seen her with the short hair. I understand ladies who have lost their hair due to Chemo, but this is different. My design is based on her hair being short, anyway." With that she pulled out a sketch book and showed two different ideas she had drawn up. "I based these on the pictures Joanne sent me from her phone, but as I said earlier, those pictures don't do you justice at all. I drew one as a floor length, and the other in a shorter version. Either design can be done either way. I just did it that way for reference."

"I think I like the idea of a long dress better, because it hides my foot." Madge was very surprised to hear her say this. It was the first time she had ever said anything negative about her situation at all.

"I'm so sorry about the foot, Susie. It was a tragedy," said Joanne.

"Oh, I'm not complaining. Please don't take it that way. Things happen, and if it hadn't I wouldn't have met Michael! I only said that because it disturbs other people, and they are always trying to feel sorry for me! So many others have it so much worse than do I. I have nothing to complain about!" Joanne reached over and squeezed Susie's hand while Madge nodded approvingly.

Carole pulled the sketch book back toward her. "I need to think on this a bit. Neither of these designs will do! I didn't realize how mature a young lady you are, Susie. Why don't you go with Suzette and let her get your measurements for me while I ponder on this for a moment or two."

Suzette led Susie from the room back to a fitting area and Carole turned to Madge. "Mrs. Collins, your daughter is very mature for her age! I know very few adults who can adapt to such a terrible injury with such grace! She reminds me very much of a Marine I know who came back from Afghanistan terribly injured, but you never hear him complain. Instead, he laughs at himself and his injuries as a 'weight loss regimen.' Come with me." She led Madge and Joanne out onto the showroom floor.

"I noticed how she looked at this gown I did for our Senator's wife. She is very nearly the same size, and to be honest, I would rather see this on a young lady who has earned my respect, far more than on the arrogant wife of a second-rate political hack. I would refuse to make a gown for her if I could get away with it, but it will bring me too much business when the tabloids talk about what she is wearing. What do you think, Mrs. Collins?"

"Please, I would be honored if you would call me Madge, and I think this is an absolutely astonishing gown! Surely though, it is way too expensive!"

Carole just laughed softly. "Please, Madge, and thank you, I don't know if Joanne told you, but she is half owner of this shop, having put me into business right after we graduated from ASU, and she is responsible for a lot of the business that comes through here. We were already going to do it at cost, but I am very impressed by that young lady, and I would like to make it my gift to her as well. I've known Michael since he was born; in fact I was in the delivery room as Joanne's coach since Jeff had to be away for a road game. Please allow me? Besides, I know she will tell everyone where she got the gown, and it will drive more business my way, although that is not why I'm offering this."

Madge looked over at Joanne and saw her smile and nod gently. "Thank you very much. It is most gracious of you!"

Carole smiled back. "As smitten as Michael is with her, and I don't blame him, maybe I will get to make a wedding gown next." Madge uncharacteristically stepped forward and embraced Carole.

"I would have no one else do it! And, if it comes to that eventuality Tom and I will be thrilled."

Carole and Joanne carefully removed the gown from the manikin and carried it back to the fitting area, with Madge right behind them. "Susie, what would you think about this gown?"

"Are you kidding me? I thought that was for the Senator's wife!"

"I decided you were the more mature person, and it would look better on you. I noticed you looking at it as we came in the shop."

"It's beautiful! I never saw such a beautiful gown in my life!" Susie's eyes were shining, and she had trouble standing still in her excitement, causing Suzette to pause in her measurements. "Every girl in the school is going to hate me!"

Carole laughed. "I don't think it will be quite that bad, but you will stand out, as well you should." She turned to Suzette and asked, "Were you able to reach Jacqui?"

"Yes. She said if it is OK with you she will stop by here on her way out. She has an errand she has to run, and this is on the way."

"Excellent. What she will do with the hair might make a little difference in how we fit this." Carole had Suzette assist her as they slipped the gown over Susie's head, and had her stand on a small platform in front of a three panel mirror. Susie took one look at her reflection and burst into tears.

Suzette quickly grabbed some tissues and handed them to the sobbing girl before she could spot the gown as her mother rushed to her side. "Susan, darling, whatever is wrong?"

"It's too beautiful, Mommy. I can't wear this! I don't deserve such a thing."

Joanne quickly stepped up to the platform and helped Susie step down, and then led her over to a chair and carefully seated her. Susie was still sniffling and blotting at her eyes as her other hand absently stoked the satin and lace, noting the beadwork. "Susie, my dear, will you please look at me and listen for a moment?" She reached forward with a gentle hand and lifted Susie's chin with her fingers. "My dear, you are so wrong! You do deserve this gown. Do you understand why Carole pulled back the other two designs she had for you?"

Susie sniffled and shook her head "No."

"It is because after meeting you and talking with you for a few moments she recognized her designs were too juvenile for you, that you were more mature than she designed for. She isn't giving you an 'old lady' looking dress, it is far from it, but what she said is this, 'I would rather see this on a young lady, who has earned my respect, far more than on the arrogant wife of a second rate political hack,' and I whole-heartedly agree with her. This gown looks far better on you than it would on her, and I hope you will accept it with our appreciation."

The front door bell jangled as someone entered the store and Suzette stepped out quickly to see who it was as Susie hugged Joanne tightly and sobbed on her shoulder. "However can I thank you for such a wonderful gift? And for being so caring and kind? I really don't deserve any of this!"

"My dear, you don't know what we see in you. Yes, my dear, you deserve all of this and a lot more."

Their talk was interrupted by Suzette reentering the room with another lady in tow. "Carole, what have you done? Making another young lady cry over your creation? Hi, I'm Jacqui, and you must be Susie, the one Michael won't quit talking about! I really ought to hate you for ruining my chances, but I think I'm going to like you anyway." Jacqui was an elfin dark-haired lady of about forty years of age who looked at life with a joyful eye.

"Can I ask you to step back up on the platform for me? I really hate to rush you, but I have to be across town in just over an hour, so I don't have much time. Hmmm. Could you turn for me, slowly, slowly? Ah, yes. Now, if you will please step back down, and have a seat here." She extended a hand to Susie to assist as she stepped from the platform, being certain Susie didn't trip over the hem of the gown. Jacqui looked carefully at the scars on the right side of Susie's head and asked, "Are these sensitive? Are any of them painful?"

Callicious
Callicious
1,836 Followers