Karma Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Sid0604
Sid0604
422 Followers

"She loves Julie and Karen like they're her sisters but she has this major crush on you. I'm so glad you're still asleep. My mum would be severely embarrassed if she knew I'd said any of this to you. She'd be totally mortified."

I really had been so blind to everything happening all around me. I hadn't noticed all those things Laura spoke of but then I remembered the night in my study as I held her briefly after she'd moved into Amy's room.

Then Laura started talking about Julie and Karen. I didn't really even hear what she said but the memories of those few minutes listening to them came flooding back to me. The beeper sped up and I think I must have tensed every muscle in my body. Laura screamed out in pain.

I felt her trying to free her hand from mine but my grip was too tight; I couldn't help it. She tried to use her other hand to free herself and I heard her yelling out to the nurses. I heard feet running towards me and strange hands prised my hand open to free hers.

The beeper was starting to slow down as I heard someone ask Laura what happened.

"I've no idea. I started to talk about his wife and he suddenly tensed up hurting my hand."

Laura didn't mention Julie or Karen again as she started to talk about her love for William, Amy and Todd. Then she giggled and told me their plans after they both graduated had changed and how the four of them had wanted to work with me. She chuckled again then said they'd already discussed my retirement months ago. Then she said something about some time off from her studies in seven months or so for a little while.

She kept talking about Amy and Todd and how they'd become much more of an item lately. She seemed to get serious then she said, "You know Todd saved Amy from getting raped by his father. Amy told us one night in confidence; we weren't to tell anyone.

"She's thinks it was all her fault because she was sunbathing in her tiny pink bikini next to their pool while Todd was in the house getting changed to walk her home. It was a little while after George had been mugged and he came home drunk; Karen was out somewhere.

"He appeared out of nowhere and jumped on her pinning her down. He covered her mouth to start with so she couldn't scream then he ripped her bikini off. When she was naked he started hurting her.

"He left bite marks and bruises on her breasts then she bit him and as he pulled his hand off her mouth she was able to scream out to Todd for help.

"He was about to hit her to shut her up and was already between her legs ready to rape her when Todd came running out of the house half-dressed and pushed him off her in the process aggravating his father's cracked ribs. While he'd been assaulting her, George had been rambling on that what he was about to do was the only way he could get back at you.

"Amy never called the police to avoid the scandal and just in case you'd somehow been involved in his mugging although they didn't believe it. They knew something was really wrong at the time; Julie had been crying continuously and there was so much tension in the air.

"It happened the day before he was killed in the car crash so there was little point in hurting both families by talking about it. They never told anyone but Will and me.

My mind was racing. What I was hearing was far too disturbing... I wanted to scream. If he wasn't already dead I would've made him suffer way beyond pain; a quick and painless death was far too good for him.

What he'd done to my wife and my marriage was unforgivable but to try to rape my daughter was too much. I understood then that I'd never known the real George after all those years; it seems none of us did.

Laura continued, "We couldn't understand what possessed him to do it; well none of us could. It's taken so long but I found a few pieces to the puzzle when I finally opened your floor safe at work. I'd tried every combination I could think of and then one day Julie was sitting in the kitchen, crying of course and she had a photo in her hand of you standing in front of a really beautiful convertible.

"I wish you still had it; it would've made a great wedding car. I never knew you'd even owned one; it looked so hot. She was reminiscing and told me how much you loved that car but you'd sold it because she'd asked you to; for Amy and Will when they were babies. Then I saw the number plate and a little light came on in my head.

"Of course the safe opened after a few different variations for the combination and I found everything; your passports, copies of valuable documents, those old divorce papers and far too much cash; even a DVD. James, I'm sorry I watched it. No one else has seen it; just me."

"None of us believed you were involved in the mugging at the time but then when I saw the DVD it made me wonder; it was date stamped the same day he was attacked. Was it you who mugged him out of revenge? I wish you could answer me."

Laura stopped as the beeper sped up again; this time she stepped well clear. My mind was in complete and utter turmoil as I remembered the DVD of what happened to Julie and now what Laura had just said George had done to Amy. All my muscles tensed up again.

In my mind I could see George fucking Amy like I'd seen him do to Julie. As I sat up I ripped the tubes from my mouth and drips from my arms as I started screaming, "NOOOOOOOO!"

Although everything was a bit blurry I could finally see Laura sitting back in complete shock. I kept screaming; nurses and doctors came running. I had to get to my daughter to hold her; to protect her!

They were all holding me down. I was struggling and the staff were being thrown around as I thrashed about trying to free myself... I needed to get to Amy. I heard someone yell, "JAMES! STOP IT!" I stopped struggling and looked around to see Laura standing beside me now, crying. It had been her that had yelled. I'd never heard her raise her voice before.

As I looked at her I became aware I was being strapped to my bed. I couldn't move before and now that I could I couldn't again. I felt a prick in my arm and everything faded.

Daylight was streaming into my room as I opened my eyes and saw Laura standing next to the window looking out. I called to her softly and she turned and smiled and then approached me.

She looked at me closely then said, "They said I could undo the straps if you were settled. Are you okay now?"

As I nodded my head I answered, "Yea, I'm okay. I'm sorry if I hurt your hand. Is it bruised?"

"I'll be fine. I worked out you've been able to hear me and I said some things that must've brought back some terrible memories so it's probably my fault. Whatever it was it brought you back to us. It's probably just as well because we have some things we need to talk about.

"James, I haven't told anyone back home that you're here and still alive. It's still marked on your chart that no family is to be contacted. I didn't know if you wanted to go back just yet; I know they really hurt you so much. Julie told us much of it then my mum filled in the gaps with me privately."

I hadn't thought that far ahead; I was just running to try to escape their betrayal and the terrible pain they caused me. I didn't know what else to do and I needed time to think. The irony was that from what I'd heard since I'd been conscious they may've inadvertently saved my life; I was at the right place at the right time to be saved.

Just then the minister knocked quietly on the open door and came in. He greeted Laura then he turned to me and said, "I see you've rejoined the land of the living. It's good to see you're finally conscious James; you really had us worried. Don't tell anyone but I even prayed for your recovery." Then he laughed.

"We've respected your wishes and sadly no one but Laura and I know you're here. I'm not sure why I told Laura but it seemed the right thing to do at the time and she isn't family yet. I thought you needed someone here with you full-time and it looks like it worked.

"I only discovered you by accident the other day when I visited one of my parishioners who was moved into the same ward as you. Funny though, I'd only started doing these visits after what you said to me; a bit of a wake-up call. Some might call it Karma but I call it God's will and you were his messenger; that's scary isn't it?

"I recognised you straight away and when I spoke to the nurses they told me you'd left strict instructions no family was to be contacted or notified and if I brought family up I could be banned from the hospital. At least you had your insurance details in your wallet. I found out the hospital was worried if they contacted your family you might sue them for Breach of Privacy when you recovered.

"Your family are totally devastated with your disappearance and apparent unconfirmed death. I couldn't understand the lack of information from the police after you were listed as a missing person then the car crash but then everything made sense. All they said was that you were definitely not a missing person and their file was closed.

"Sometimes I think privacy laws have gone too far. I spoke to someone I know in the police and he unofficially confirmed they knew you were here but they couldn't say anything. Anyway, I've found there are a lot of lonely people here in hospital who want me to spend some time with them but I'll call in to see you again James; you won't get rid of me that easily.

"Laura, I'll see you and Will and hopefully your mother in church again on Sunday; maybe you and the rest of your family as well eh James? Hey, and Laura, that date is good and everything's booked. Bye for now."

He was almost out the door when he turned and said, "Oh James, before I forget; your 'wives' told me what they'd done to you... everything. They've been in a terrible state since you left them and they think they're entirely responsible for your dramatic and untimely death.

"I know they hurt you very badly and now they see that as well. We've spent a lot of time discussing what they did and they've started seeing a friend of mine; she's a grief and marriage councillor to help them work through their issues.

"I would've been crushed if it happened to me. But from what I've heard about you from your 'wives' and kids; and even some of your staff, I thought you would've responded differently when you heard them talking.

"Not that I'll ever encourage it openly or from the pulpit but you have the most amazing family unit there; don't give it up James. I have some ideas after talking to my friend about what thoughts must've been racing through your mind at the time but please don't throw away what you've got; what you have there is special. To tell you the truth, I'm more than a little envious.

"I'm sure George in the afterlife would be thrilled to know you and Julie were looking after Karen and Todd so well. Maybe it was meant to be; think about it."

I almost choked knowing it was my threat of revenge that had led to his death because he didn't want me touching Karen and now she'd had my baby as well. I nodded to him as he left the room.

I turned to Laura and asked her to go back to my office and bring back a spare laptop and iPhone; I told her where to find them.

While I was waiting I looked out the window and saw the blue and white sign of the local Ford dealer next door. I buzzed for the nurse and when she came I asked her if she knew anyone who worked there. I was in luck; her husband was a salesman with them so I asked her to ring him to get him to call in as soon as possible if he wanted a cash sale.

I barely had time to blink and he was standing next to my bed being introduced to me by his wife. I told him what I was looking for and he opened his laptop and showed me a photo of the only car that came close to what I wanted that he had available for immediate delivery.

It had been far too long and I would've liked to take it for a test drive but I was only dressed in a hospital gown. He gave me the specs then told me he'd driven it and how it handled and behaved. It sounded like something I'd been missing in my life.

We talked about cars until Laura returned then I gave her one of my credit cards and sent her out again to buy some clothes for me; I'd lost a lot of weight and we had to guess my new size. While she was away he typed in all the details for payment and I owned a new car; a convertible; a nice white one; actually I think it was called Performance White.

I was getting antsy and wanted to leave but they told me I had to wait for the doctor's clearance. Next day the doctors told me I needed to complete some tests and if they came back okay they'd let me go but I definitely couldn't drive for a week or two; word must have spread of my purchase.

It was another day until the results came back so I sat with Laura after she finally agreed to tell me about my death. She started from when I'd left in a hurry that Friday afternoon.

"As soon as I saw you James I knew something was so dreadfully wrong. Your skin was grey and your lips were blue; you could barely walk but you somehow still managed to get into your car and reverse it out. I kept calling out to you.

"When you sped off I ran inside and found everyone crying; my mother, Julie, Karen and the four babies. What a noise. I phoned Will and Todd and asked them to start looking for you then I tried to contact you but you didn't answer.

"Todd dropped Amy off and she kept phoning you while I looked after the babies to calm them down. My mother stopped crying enough to help me but Julie and Karen were and still are a complete mess.

"Will and Todd searched all night for you and checked every motel, hotel, bar and anything else they could think of; even every McDonalds several times. Amy kept phoning your cell until she realized it was dead.

"Will and Todd finally came home Saturday morning and they asked what had happened to make you speed off. Julie blurted out why you left; she was still very upset.

"I thought Will was about to lose it so I held on to him. Your kids said some things that I could never repeat; I think everyone regrets what was said. At least they now know what their kids think of what they did to you. I know from what my mum told me that they didn't tell us everything; luckily as Will would have gone ballistic.

"Will and Todd left again and just kept driving around hoping to find you. They thought you might've even been at work but you weren't. Sunday morning Will went to see a buddy of his whose father's a policeman and he helped them get you listed you as a missing person.

"That soon fell apart when he phoned up to say that you weren't missing and there was nothing he could do or say.

"Then we got a call from your secretary asking if your car had been stolen; we told her it hadn't and you were out somewhere. She said there was a huge police chase on the old highway heading south. We turned the television on and they had live coverage from a helicopter of the chase; it was your car. Because your windows are so dark no one could see who was driving but everyone assumed it was you after the way you drove off from home.

"We watched for about half an hour as they kept giving live updates then suddenly they started talking about a jack-knifed petrol tanker ahead of you that had rolled blocking the highway. We watched the police try to stop you; well your car, but it just sped up. They worked out it was doing a hundred miles an hour when they tried to get past the roll-over and lost control and then it slammed into the tanker; it didn't even brake. The car disintegrated as it hit then everything exploded in a huge fireball.

"They still couldn't get near it when the fire trucks finally arrived and had to let it nearly burn out before they could extinguish it hours later. There was virtually nothing left of your car.

"I can only say I've never seen so many distraught people. We had all these visitors calling in crying believing it was you; I think it was all word of mouth. We eventually took the babies over to our place to quieten them down; they were distressed from their mothers' continuous grieving.

"They even had the highway patrol call in confirming it was your car and wanted to talk with you if you were available then we mentioned the missing persons report. Of course we could only say that you were driving it when we last saw you.

"They never came back so we all thought you were dead. We received no advice from the police about the crash or your supposed death but we thought we would after there was an investigation but it never happened.

"Our minister heard almost straight away through members of the congregation what had happened and has been calling in nearly every day to see us all. He even organised some of the local women from the church to call in and help us with everything. You already know that Julie, Karen and even my mum see a councillor now.

"Then a few days ago he called in to see me and asked me to come with him but I couldn't say anything to anyone. I can tell you I was a bit worried after hearing stories about what some ministers have done, particularly after he made me promise that I wouldn't say anything to anyone.

"Oh James, I cried so much when I saw you. You've got no idea how much we've all missed you. Besides I want a grandfather for my baby.

"I had no one except my mother growing up and I used to come over to your house to start with so I could pretend you were my father; you always treated me so well and used to joke with me like I thought a real father would. I can still remember you held me one day after I fell over and skinned my knee; you even carried me home after you cleaned it up.

"When I was young I wanted you as my dad so badly. It's sorta funny now with my mum staying at your place; it's a bit like you really are and I finally got my wish. Maybe I should start to practice calling you dad, eh?

"Back then everyone thought I was coming over to play with Amy and Will. The birthday and Christmas presents that you always gave me meant so much to me that I cried every time you gave me one; I still have some of them in my bedroom.

"Even though your kids always gave me one you always gave me another one; just from you. That reminds me; you missed my birthday last week for the first time since I was very young.

"I need to tell you that Will has officially asked me to marry him and I've said yes. Can you give me away please... dad? That's why I need you to come back to us and soon; before I show too much."

"Are you?" I asked as Laura took my hand and put it on her belly then held it there.

"Yep! I sorta alluded to it before. Mum will look after the baby while we finish University; if that's okay with you of course."

"Why would you need my permission for your mother to look after your baby?"

"That's just mum; that's all. You'll find out soon enough." She said with a grin.

"I think you said before you hadn't told anyone at home you've found me and I'm alive?"

"No, I wasn't sure if you wanted to be found yet after the way you left so I thought I'd leave that decision up to you. I shouldn't ask but if you decide not to return would you please consider taking my mother with you; I've watched you looking at her.

"I know it's not lust but you care about her. That's more than anyone's done in a very long time and James please don't hurt her; she has feelings for you but you might've guessed that already.

"I've been talking to Will every night and nothing's changed at home. They're all a bit curious why I'm not there these last few days but I just fobbed them off saying I had something personal I had to do. Will thinks it's about the baby and I had to promise him I wouldn't get an abortion."

I didn't ask any more about Issy and while Laura was with me I booted the laptop and accessed my server at home and started working through the cameras in rooms where I thought everyone would be. My first port of call was the nursery; the babies were all in their cots. I missed them and while I'd been lying awake in my darkness I'd decided I couldn't and wouldn't live without them.

Sid0604
Sid0604
422 Followers