Lesser Gods Ch. 10-13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
CatBrown
CatBrown
310 Followers

Grey called every evening on Travis' phone, which Travis would put on speaker and they would all report in. Grey was always polite and business-like, and never asked anything personal. Enrique had started texting "Good Morning, Beautiful" to her every morning around seven. He called every two or three days around noon and tried to keep it light, but it was obvious he worried about her and wanted very much to see her. She couldn't bring herself to invite him, as much as she enjoyed her time with him, and even her time on the phone with him, it was a different man she thought about before going to sleep each night. She tried to purge Grey from her thoughts, locking them away in that room she created for the visions, but new ones just kept popping up.

No job prospects were coming her way, so she was having to dip deeper into the money she had put away with the intention of giving back to Grey. She hadn't thought of it the first night when he showed up, and he hadn't come back since, at least not that she knew about. She wasn't sure if it pleased her that he was staying away or not.

One day she asked Travis about his life as an angel. He told her about his last assignment, watching over a couple of brothers from the projects, trying to keep them out of the gangs. He was very proud that the older brother made it out, went to college and was living a decent life. When she asked about the younger brother, he looked sad and said he was free to babysit her because the younger brother had gotten shot in a gang conflict. He explained how he thought he had convinced Sean to leave the gang and finish his education when this rival gang showed up, claiming turf issues and before he could get Sean out of there, the bullets were flying and Sean was dead.

"So I know a little something about trying to do good and having it backfire. It's not my fault Sean died, but I still feel responsible," he finished.

She didn't know what to say, so she just said she was sorry and left him to his thoughts.

At other times they talked about TV, movies, current events, even shopping! Zoe came to truly like Travis, and respect his opinions as being well thought out and logical. He even had good taste in women's clothing, advising her what to wear when job hunting. If she had to have a babysitter, she was glad it was Travis. She was also grateful for his power to remain unnoticed, so she didn't have to explain this hulking man with her everywhere. Sometimes she got strange looks from people for appearing to talk to an invisible friend, though, but that wasn't so bad.

She had nearly forgotten why Travis was living with her when she found him standing at the window, peering out the crack in the curtains, holding a pistol.

'What do you think you're doing with that thing in my apartment? Get rid of it!" She demanded.

"Not a chance, little lady. I am here to protect you, and this weapon is part of that," he answered calmly. "There's evil in the vicinity, I can feel it."

"We live in a bad part of town. I'm surprised you haven't felt the evil every night," Zoe responded, trying to lighten the mood in the room.

"This isn't human evil," he answered simply.

She was scared, but didn't want Travis to see it, so she went over to the kitchenette and started preparing dinner. Travis stayed glued to the window.

They both jumped when the knock came at the door. Zoe turned to him, silently asking what to do.

Travis motioned her to go to the door, but put his hand over hers when she started to open the chain lock. She left it in place and opened the door a crack.

Zoe, honey," said the little widow-lady from the next-door apartment through the crack, "can you help me get the party trays and tins down from the high cabinets for me. I was going to start my holiday baking tomorrow, and I need to make a list of everything I need so my nephew can bring it over for me. I don't think I have enough tins for the cranberry orange bread I bake for all the neighbors. It won't take but a minute."

Relieved, Zoe said, "Sure Mrs. Schuller. Just let me unhook the door and I'll be right out."

She closed the door, slipping the chain off while she mouthed, "Just my neighbor," to Travis. She whispered, "I'll be right back," as she slipped out and closed the door behind her.

"Do you have a gentleman caller, dear?" asked Mrs. Schuller.

Thinking the woman had amazing hearing for her age, Zoe answered, "just a friend who's staying with me."

They were at the lady's door when she responded, "I hope he won't worry about you when you disappear," before she collapsed to the floor.

Zoe dropped to her knees beside the woman, thinking that was a strange thing for her to say, when a black cloth bag descended over her head and a strange, sweet smell accosted her senses. She had just enough time to wonder if they had hurt Mrs. Schuller when they used her, before passing out.

*****

Please take a moment to vote and comment!

CatBrown
CatBrown
310 Followers