Love's Curse Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He handed her the clippers and file and smiled. "Simple, my lady."

Lilandra gulped and picked up the clippers and went to a claw and tentatively began clipping the nails.

The Prince sat in silence, breathing long and low. He watched the landscape outside and spoke softly, not moving in case he startled her. "Did you enjoy the rose Lilandra?"

She froze in the act of reaching for the nail file. "Yes." Her voice trembled slightly but she grabbed the file and went back to working on his nails.

He nodded now, the dark fur on his face curling into a smile that revealed a long row of razor sharp fangs. "That's good to know. A dog's bite isn't always as bad as his bark."

She wasn't so sure about that but she finished first one claw then the remaining two. She had to admit his claws didn't look so threatening when filed and trimmed.

"Very good work Lilandra. I assume you know how to trim and smooth animal hair yes? The same as human hair except the brush is coarser." He lifted his claw up to admire her work and nodded in approval.

"Yes sir, I do." She picked up the detangling comb and with trembling hands began working on his fur. She remained tense, just waiting for the moment when the beast would turn on her.

Unexpectedly he gently stopped her hands and held them, drawing them close to his face. "Discard your fear Lilandra, see that not all beasts are rough horrifying animals with no compassion. Most are merely misunderstood, only knowing to follow their instincts...like the wolves in the forest when you were bathing. They only followed you because they reacted to your blood."

She froze and stared at him. How had he known about that night in the forest? The only other person there had been the man who had taken her virginity. Unless this beast had been watching her even then. Her fear rose again but she managed to keep it off her face. "Yes sir," she replied meekly, only briefly looking up at him and then away.

He gently placed her hand upon his furry face, letting her feel its surprising soft silkiness. It wasn't rough like horsehair, but smooth like a wolf. "How could I hurt a creature as kind and beautiful as you Lilandra?"

This time she did look at him in surprise. He thought her beautiful? Maybe this beast had poor eyesight. "Nay, I am not beautiful," she protested, a blush stealing across her cheeks.

"On the contrary, you remind me of my great aunt Sicile. In her time she was said to be the kind of woman who men wrote songs about. I am sure that if bards still came to our lands then there would be entire symphonies honoring your beauty."

Lilandra only laughed bitterly. She was not beautiful. She had seen beautiful. Her mother was beautiful but she was not. Her father had told her often enough.

"Why such bitterness in your laughter Lilandra? One such as you should not feel something so negative." The piercing deep blues of his eyes met her in concern.

"I'm not beautiful. You must have poor eyesight. I have seen beauty and I do not have it. I am plain." She went back to untangling his hair and then brushed the strands smooth.

"Exactly Lilandra, plain is always the most beautiful of all..." This time it was Aries' turn to chuckle at her words.

He was crazy but she wasn't going to say that aloud. So she remained silent and groomed him.

He fell quiet and settled for once more looking at the landscape as she worked over his lengthy fur. It took her several hours but then she was finished. She had combed out all the tangles and then cut it in such a way that it was out of the way and cooling him at the same time. Aries stood and walked slowly over to the full-length mirror, admiring her work. "Very good Lilandra, your skills appear to rival even Lynn's. I hope you enjoy your walk in the orchards today."

She gave a sigh of relief, dropped into a curtsy and then walked backward until she was beside Lynn.

The prince walked towards the large bay windows and spread his wings wide before launching himself into the air, the sound of his wings rumbling on the air.

She watched him leave and then turned trembling to Lynn. She wasn't sure if it was from fear or something else. "Please, may we take that walk now?"

"Of course, my lady, you have done well today, he seemed to enjoy that more than he usually does." He bowed his head slightly and gently took her arm in his leading her out of the master's chambers.

The words brought little comfort to Lilandra. She was very confused. Later she would try and sort her feelings out. They walked in relative silence along the corridors, their footsteps echoing as each struck the marble floors.

When they walked outside and the warmth of the sun touched her skin she relaxed. "May I see the rose gardens?" she asked timidly.

"As you wish, my lady. I will gladly show you them,"

"When will the gardeners be back?" Lilandra asked once she had taken a moment to breathe in the clean outside air.

"In a few days, they come only once a week, but they do an amazing job." Lynn walked slowly with her, admiring the way the sunlight shone upon her face. The prince was right she was most beautiful.

She felt so alone. What she really longed for was another woman to talk to. Most of her life she had been surrounded by males and the females she had encountered had been very spiteful to her despite her best overtures of friendship.

He continued walking with her for a few minutes before clearing his throat and inquiring in a worried tone, "Is there something wrong, my lady? You seem awfully quiet suddenly."

"I don't want to seem ungrateful but I need to speak to a woman," she admitted, her face red in embarrassment.

Lynn was taken aback by this and paused mid-step as he took this in. "Oh it's not ungrateful, my lady, it's just that there aren't any women who would willingly live around the palace with the master. Most think that they will perish in the night."

Lilandra's expression crumpled. "Is there no way for me to go into the village and speak with a wise woman?"

"What would you need to speak of with a wise woman?" His own expression was curious.

"I just need to speak to one," she said defensively. His tone reminded her of her father's voice. Her father used that same tone when she had gone to him frantic because she was bleeding from between her legs. She hadn't known that what was happening was a normal thing for a female. Her mother had died before telling her about such things.

He nodded and smiled a bit. "Alright, would you like to go now or tomorrow? I believe we still have a few hours of daylight left."

"Can I please go now?" she hated to beg but she really, really wanted to be around people other than the beast and Lynn.

Once more he nodded and steered them towards the coach yard, "As you wish, my lady. I do hope nothing is the matter, I would hate to think that I have let you become ill."

Lilandra felt guilt prick her conscience. "It is nothing much. Just woman to woman things," she hastily reassured him.

"Of course, my lady. I would not dream to be able to tell you of such things."

Lynn of course did know, he had been the aide to the former Queen and birthed the current prince himself when the doctor had been unable to attend due to an epidemic in the city. But something now told him not press the issue with Lilandra.

Lilandra gave him a grateful look and turned to face the coach that had pulled up in front of them. Finally, human companionship! She couldn't wait.

He politely opened the door for her and helped her up the steps, making sure she didn't stumble or fall. Once he was sure she was inside, he climbed up on to the coachman's bench and twitched the reins, urging the horses into a gentle canter.

On the way to the village, Lilandra's thoughts tumbled about. She had made a decision. She was going to run away from this place and go hide in some other village. Start completely over. She knew that even though the beast had let the mystery man take her virginity that didn't mean he wasn't going to force himself on her. The very thought was unbearable and frightening. She'd rather take her chances in a new place than risk her sanity and life with the beast. She would miss Lynn and she was going to miss her mystery man but she wanted to live. So she was going to the wise woman to seek guidance.

The carriage jolted and rocked as it headed along the corroded and worn road, the village coming into sight. Workers in the fields shot frightened and angry looks at the carriage all of which Lynn seemed oblivious to. Eventually the carriage entered the village and pulled up outside the cottage of the local wise woman. Lynn hopped down and opened the door for Lilandra and held his arm out for her to take.

Lilandra stepped out and shivered at the tension in the air and the angry glares from the few villagers who were watching them. She hurried by Lynn and up the walkway to the door. She knocked timidly and almost jumped when the door was opened. Looking at Lynn one more time she forced herself to be calm and went inside. The smell of incense and herbs assaulted her nose and she had to gulp to keep from being sick from the cloy smells. "Ma'am, please, I seek your wisdom," she stammered.

"Ah, yes you would not be the first bride of the beast to come to me. Many came to get something to end their lives. Others came for something to end his," the woman cackled. She brushed back a strand of graying hair and looked at Lilandra.

Lilandra gasped and backed up a step. The woman's left eye socket was empty and a jagged scar ran from the top of her forehead down to her cheekbone. "Does my appearance frighten you?" the woman asked casually.

"Yes!" Lilandra had never been known for tact, a thing that had often gotten her into trouble.

The woman laughed. "Honesty, child, will get you everywhere. Remember that. Since you have been honest with me, I shall be honest with you. You wish to escape the beast, correct?"

"Yes, ma'am. I fear for my life."

"I have a way for you to flee it but you must be fearless when the time comes. Do you think you can do that?"

Lilandra considered the woman's words. She didn't think of herself as a brave person but for once, she truly believed she could be if it meant saving her life. "Yes, ma'am, I can."

"Good, good. Come here." The woman turned from Lilandra and rummaged around in a wicker basket full of packets. She pulled out two and handed them to Lilandra.

"Listen carefully. The packet with the red string is for the beast. The one with the blue string is for the man who brought you here. When you are ready to flee you must pour this in their drink. It will make them sleep for a full day. Then, and only then, will you be able to escape. Do you have a place to flee to?"

"I had not really thought about it. I was going to the next village I could find."

The woman shook her head. "Listen to me. Make your way here and I will help you hide in a land where the beast holds no power."

Lilandra gave the woman a startled glance. A land the beast did not know? Was that even possible? She wasn't sure whether or not she believed that particular proclamation by the wise woman but she was desperate and anything right now was better than her other choices. She nodded, not trusting herself to speak.

"Very good then. I will be awaiting you. Now you had best go. The beast's servant is waiting."

Lilandra nodded to the woman and tucking the packets into her dress top she hurried back to the carriage and Lynn.

Lynn watched a group of suspicious looking men when the door opened, jolting him from his monitoring of them. When he glanced back, they were gone. "Ah, my lady, success I trust?"

"Yes, she was helpful. I feel better now." And this was true. Now that she had a definite plan of action she did feel better.

He nodded and once more opened the carriage door for her, helping her up into it before mounting the bench and setting off to the palace.

12