No More Wasted Time

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Old friends," I replied succinctly, hoping he'd take the hint and move on, but I had the feeling that Walt wasn't the type to take a hint.

"Well, don't get any ideas," he said, giving me what I expect he thought was an intimating look. I almost laughed. I was too old for this kind of shit. So was Walt, but that didn't seem to bother him. "It's taken me three months to get her to agree to go out on a date with me and you're not going to ruin that."

I didn't bother replying. Instead, I took the drink the bartended brought and dropped a tip in his jar. I turned to leave, but good old Walt had the audacity to grab my arm. I turned back to him and raised an eyebrow.

If I were a younger man I would have had a different reaction. Hell, if it wasn't my daughter's wedding, I still might have anyway. Frankly, he was lucky I wasn't drunk yet. At least he was smart enough to see something in my expression because he let go of my arm immediately.

"Walt, I'd like to say it was a pleasure, but it really hasn't been." I was done being nice to this guy.

"Just remember, Jessica came here with me and she'd leaving with me. I've worked too long and too hard to allow someone like you to get in the way of my plans."

"You know, a lot of years have passed since I knew Jess well, but if I were you, I wouldn't get my hopes up. She has better taste than you."

"And yet, she's here with me." It was a fair statement. Why was Jess here with such a loser? There was no way the girl I remembered could be that desperate. Maybe the answer was that despite the attraction I still felt for her, Jessica wasn't the same person from my youth.

I turned and left Walt, giving him the last word, mostly because there was nothing really else for us to say to each other and there was a good chance he was right. What Jess and I had was the past. I wasn't going to fool myself into thinking there was more between us then that, particularly not tonight. Maybe I'd feel different in the morning, but then again, maybe not.

The next couple of hours went by quickly enough. I made my way around the tables saying hello to everyone. I knew people from both sides since I'd met Neil's family on numerous occasions over the years. I liked most of them, especially his parents. They were good people.

I did notice Jess a few times, but Walt was staying glued to her side, and as I told my sibling, I didn't want to deal with any drama at Bethany's wedding, so I avoided them. Before I knew it, it was time for the bride and groom to cut the cake.

Mary, Tommy and Emily stood by me as I watched Bethany and Neil do the honors. My brother slapped me on the shoulder when they were done.

"Almost over," he grinned. I shook my head, but appreciated him standing by me. Hell, I appreciated them all being here for me. I was lucky that I had that kind of family.

"So, are we all still getting together on Sunday for breakfast?" Emily asked, obviously trying to distract me from feeling down, but the truth was that I was okay. I was happy for my daughter.

Mary wasn't nearly as helpful. She didn't even give me chance to answer our sister-in-law's question before she asked, "Have you gotten a chance to talk to Jessie?"

"Seriously?" I let my annoyance show, but my little sister ignored my pointed stare while making it clear she wasn't going to let the topic drop until she got an answer. I sighed and gave in. Mostly because Jess had been on my mind most of the night despite my best efforts to forget she was here and enjoy the wedding. "Would you believe her date actually warned me off at the bar earlier? Plus, he hasn't left her side."

"If you want to talk to her then just let us know. We can take care of him." I was surprised that it was Emily who made the offer. I'd known my sister-in-law since she and Tommy started dating sophomore year of high school. She was normally the voice of reason in our family.

Here's the weird part, I was sorely tempted to take her up on her offer. I was buzzed enough to admit to myself that I wanted to speak to Jess again, but tonight wasn't the right time. I was about to tell my siblings that when we were interrupted.

"Well now, this is a scary sight." And there it was again. That voice. I felt my pulse quicken. "All four of you together doesn't bode well for someone. I hope it's not me?"

"Not you," Mary said with a wide smile as Jess came into view. "Your date."

"Oh please! Whatever you have planned, do it soon," Jessica groaned. "I've had just about all I can take of him."

"Hey, you agreed to come with him," Tommy said helpfully.

"Don't remind me."

"It's good to see you Jessie." Emily held her arms open and Jessica gave her a hug. Mary followed suit. Even Tommy gave her a quick embrace.

Walt took that moment to join us, but my siblings being who they were, ignored him. Me too, but mostly because I was afraid I was buzzed enough to do something stupid.

"I still can't believe you actually married this loser," Jess was saying to Emily, falling back into the teasing relationship she'd had with my family years ago.

"She had to," my brother, his expression serious. He wasn't fooling anyone. "I knocked her up." That earned him a slap in the shoulder from his wife.

"I may have had our oldest only eight months after our wedding, but we were engaged a year before that," she snapped. "And you were the one who was supposed to make sure we didn't get pregnant before the wedding."

"Oops." My brother's grin earned him another slap from his wife, this one harder. "Oh come on! It's not like we weren't planning on having kids right away, anyway."

"You were pregnant at your wedding?" This from Walt who seemed stupider and stupider every time he opened his mouth. The disapproval in his voice was a huge mistake with my family. We might pick on each other constantly, but that was us. No outsider was going to say anything about our family.

We turned and faced him in unison. I wasn't surprised that Walt stepped back when meeting our united front, but I was surprised when I saw that Jess was standing with us facing him with the same disgusted expression.

"Aha! I knew there was something more to you two," my daughter cried and she and Neil joined us, possible saving Walt's life, or at least his dignity. Bethany turned to Jessica. "Who exactly are you?"

"Well, if things had gone differently," my brother began. I tried to cut him off, afraid I knew where he was going, but Tommy being Tommy, there was no stopping him once he got started, especially when he was about to put his foot in his mouth. "She might have been your mother." I winced and Mary groaned out loud.

"Real smooth," his wife sighed.

"What? It's the truth." There was an uncomfortable silence for a few moments.

"I'm happy with the mother I have, thank you very much," Bethany said tersely to her uncle before focused on Jessica and added more slowly, "But that doesn't mean I'm oblivious to the way my father is reacting to you."

"Reacting?" I asked, but all that earned me were frowns and eyerolls from my entire family.

"Give it up," Neil snorted. "You're so into her it's almost sad."

"I don't like where this conversation is going," Walt interjected, but once again my family ignored him.

"Me either," I mumbled, but no one paid any attention to me either.

"Wait, Jessica?" my daughter said suddenly, her eyes growing big. Bethany turned toward me and adding, "Is this Jezebel?" I groaned. There was no way this was going to go over well.

"Jezebel?" Jess asked with a frown.

"That's how Mom always referred to Dad's first love. You're her, right?" My daughter didn't seem remotely embarrassed by what she was asking. I, on the other hand, was mortified.

"I am not a Jezebel," Jess replied succinctly, but then she smiled and added, "Although, I'm pretty sure I am your father's first love, and based on the last conversation your mother and I had, Jezebel was probably the nicest thing she ever called me." That wasn't enough for Bethany. She turned toward me and waited patiently.

"You do realize that I'm a fifty-one-year-old man," I said pointedly. That didn't move Bethany, so I added, "And your father." That quieted my daughter. Unfortunately, she wasn't the only person in the conversation.

"It's not like it's a secret," Tommy shrugged. "Everyone knows Jess was your first."

"My first love," I clarified, my embarrassment peaking even higher.

"That too!" my older brother grinned. That earned him yet a third slap from his wife as well as an elbow from Mary. The latter was in the stomach. It wasn't all that hard, but it did finally shut Tommy up. Jess was shaking her head, but for some reason didn't seem half as embarrassed as me. I think she might have been a bit buzzed herself. I didn't blame her. I'd be downright blitzed if I had to deal with someone like Walt all evening, not to mention my family.

"This whole situation is priceless!" Neil said, not even trying to hide his glee at my expense.

"The only thing that could make it more interesting is if Mom finds out you're here." Bethany looked almost bemused by the situation. I'm sure this wasn't what she was expecting on her wedding day. I sure as hell wasn't.

"Oh, I know," Jess replied. "That's why I've been staying in the background and avoiding her all night, but I couldn't pass up the chance to say hello when I saw them all together."

"I don't blame you for hiding," Neil joked, reaching out and taking my daughter's hand in support. "Bethany's mom can be a scary lady." I was pretty sure that would get a reaction. I wasn't wrong.

"I am not afraid of her," Jessica said sharply. "In fact, there was a time where I felt about her pretty much the same way she does me, but I decided long ago that it was too much like being a sore looser to hold on to those emotions."

"You hated Adrian?" I asked in surprise. I mean, I knew how my ex felt about Jessica, but I never realize it went both ways.

Okay, it was definitely weird as hell to see my daughter and Jess exchange a look, and then roll their eyes in unison, especially since they'd just met.

"Men," my daughter shrugged. Thankfully, my son-in-law came to my rescue.

"So, if you're not afraid of Bethany's mom and you don't hate her any longer, why are you avoiding her?" Neil asked.

"It's her daughter's wedding," Jess shrugged. "I don't want to ruin that for her."

"And yet, here you are." Once again, I was surprised by a voice behind me. Only, this one I knew well. Adrian. Oh boy. This wasn't going to be good. I turned.

I didn't quite groan at my ex-wife's appearance. As if things weren't awkward enough before. At least Adrian didn't have Don with her. For the first time all night, my entire family fell silent, even Tommy and Neil.

"As my date," Walt interjected. I'd actually forgotten he was here.

"Keep telling yourself that," Adrian snorted in disbelief. "But I'm betting she only agreed to come with you after you let her know the bride's name."

The accusation was a pretty farfetched. I was surprise that Jessica didn't immediately deny it. I was even more surprised by the frown on Walt's face. Could it be true?

"Look, I'm not looking to cause any problems," Jess said to Adrian in one of the most surreal moments of my life. "I'll leave." I was certain my ex-wife would tell her to do exactly that, but Adrian shook her head.

"No," my ex said slowly. "John was very understanding when I wanted to bring Don to the wedding. He could have made it difficult." Adrian was being far more reasonable than I would ever have expected. I guess Don was good for her. "Besides, it's not like he brought you." She paused briefly before adding, "The reception is almost over anyway. Just do me a favor, no PDAs tonight." And with that, my ex disappeared. Frankly, I was speechless.

"She's my date," Walt interjected once more, sounding offended and a little whiney. I didn't think much of Walt, but I had to give this one to him. He had every right to be offended. If he was more likable, I might even have felt bad. It wouldn't have stopped what happened next, but it wouldn't have made it quite so easy. It was time for Walt to go and I was more than ready to let him know that.

"The reception is over for you," Neil interjected with a smile before I could say anything. "And apparently, so is your date."

"But..." Walt began.

"Thanks for bringing me Walt," Jess said brightly. "I'll find my own way home."

He was clearly ready to say something unkind, so I stepped between Jess and him. That made him focus on me which was fine. I didn't care what he said about me, but if he's said something about Jess I might have caused a scene. Who was I kidding? I would definitely have.

"Walt, have you met my aunt Ann?" Neil interjected, taking the guys arm and almost forcibly leading him away. "She's quite the looker."

"You know, I almost feel bad for Neil's aunt," I said after they were gone, shaking my head. "She's not my favorite person in the world, but I'm not sure even she deserves good old Walt."

"What a loser," my daughter frowned.

"You're not wrong," Jessica said with more than a little distaste. "You have no idea how happy I was when I arrived and saw that you really were Johnny's daughter. I mean, how many women named Bethany could there be with your last name? Still, if I'd been wrong, I'd have been stuck with Walt all night for no reason at all."

"So, Mom was right," my daughter said, staring at Jessica intently. "You are here because you were hoping to see my dad."

"Whatever I might have said about your mother in the past," Jess shrugged. "It was never that she was stupid." Jessica paused briefly before adding, "And it wasn't just your father. I'm only a year younger than him and my birthday was last month. It was a big one, so I ended up spending a lot of time thinking about my life. I was curious how your aunts and uncle were doing, too. Don't forget. I grew up with them. Of course, I never would have come if I hadn't heard your parents were divorced." Her words were logical and I'm sure true, but my daughter was too smart to be distracted by them.

"You're still in love with Dad." It wasn't really a question and it embarrassed the hell out of me.

"In love?" Jess looked away, uncomfortable with the conversation for the first time. "Maybe once, but that was a long time ago. That's not why I came here."

"Sure, it's not," my little sister snorted in amusement. "Come on, tell the truth?"

"You do realize I'm standing right here?" I thought it was a fair question.

"Yes, now shut up," Tommy grinned. "I want to hear her answer." My brother turned toward Jess and in that blunt manner of his asked, "Well, do you still love him?" She didn't answer immediately.

Jessica's deep brown eyes were staring into mine and I could feel my pulse quickening. "I don't know about love," she began slowly. "But there does seem to still be something between us." She paused, not looking away from me. "Honestly, it's a bit stronger than I expected."

"Just a bit," Emily put it helpfully.

"But in the long run, it doesn't really matter." Jess chose to ignore my sister-in-law comment as she finally looked away from me and pushed forward. "What we had was too long ago to rekindle even if we wanted to, and frankly, I'm not sure I do. It hurt too much and ended badly. Why would I want to revisit that?"

"Personally, if I were in your shoes, I'd feel the same way," my sister smiled. "But there are two things to keep in mind before you make up your mind. First, you're here." I thought my sister was going to stress what that fact meant more, but she looked as Jess and obviously felt she'd made her point. "And second, Johnny's not the person he was back then. I'm betting that neither are you. Don't let the past versions of yourselves screw up the present."

"I have changed," Jess replied with a shake of her head. "That's exactly my point. We can't go back."

"No, we can't," I agreed slowly. It was the truth and I couldn't disagree, but the last thing my sister said was more important, at least to me, hopefully, to Jess, too. "But that doesn't mean we can't catch up and get to know each other again. I'd like that." I saw my daughter nod to herself as her aunts smiled and uncle grinned, but I ignored them and stay focused on Jess. There was a pregnant pause.

"Okay," Bethany said into the silence that followed. "Just remember what Mom said. No public displays of affection."

"You don't have to worry about that," Jessica said, shaking her head. "Tonight, or ever for that matter. The odds of your father and I getting back together after all this time..."

"Are pretty good," Mary interjected. "In fact, if any of you want to make a friendly wager..."

"You are so not helping," my sister-in-law sighed, but that quickly turned into a grin as she added, "Although, if you find a sucker to take that bet, let me know. I'll throw in with you." Emily had been around my brother for too many years. She even sounded like him at times.

"I wouldn't be so confident," Jessica insisted, shaking her head. She was talking to everyone, but obviously speaking to me. "The last time Johnny and I spoke he disappeared and got engaged to someone else. I haven't forgiven him for that."

"That's for you two to work out... or not." My daughter was smart enough to realize it was time for her to leave. "But I will admit, it was nice meeting you. I always wondered what you were like." Jessica finally looked away from me and faced my daughter.

"Nice meeting you too," Jessica replied with a smile. "And congratulations on your wedding." My daughter nodded in thanks and then disappeared.

"I guess I should go find my date again," my sister added with a heavy sigh. "Hopefully, he beat Walt to Neil's aunt Ann and they're off somewhere."

"That bad?" It was a rhetorical question. I'd met her date earlier. He was just another loser in a long line of them. Mary was smart, funny and beautiful. Unfortunately, she also had the worst taste in men. I couldn't even remember this one's name.

"You had the right idea. I should have come stag." I knew my little sister well enough to know that Mary was serious.

"It could be worse." Jess had that teasing smile I remembered so well despite the years. "You could have come with Walt."

"And yet," my sister retorted, "look how that worked out for you."

"Time will tell." Jess's tone was noncommittal. It reminded me of how stubborn she could be at times.

I wasn't as convinced as my sibling that everything would work out between Jess and me. Sure, our last break up was all me, but it's not like it was the only time we split apart. There was a lot of history between us that not even they understood.

"Talk to you later." Mary was saying goodbye to all of us, but she was looking at me in way that meant she'd be calling for all the details in the morning.

"Don't be a stranger," Emily said to Jessica with a warm smile as she and my brother also made ready to leave. My sister-in-law leaned in and gave Jess a heartfelt hug before adding, "I understood why we couldn't stay close back then, but we've always been friends and there should be no reason why we can't reconnect now, even if you two don't work out."

"I'd like that." I was surprised when I heard Jess's voice. It was thick with sudden emotion and her eyes actually got a little misty for a second. "Forgive me. I think I may have had a little too much to drink. I'm feelingly overly emotional."

I knew that Jess and Emily were friends when we were younger, but I hadn't realized that the main reason why they drifted apart was me. I guess it made sense in a way. I felt bad, but there was little I could do about it now. I'd learned long ago not to dwell on the past. Some days it was easier than others.

123456...8