Perspectives Series: Martin

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
D_Lynn
D_Lynn
1,374 Followers

Teresa stayed in contact with Sarah, and as far as I knew, this was her only friend. She never mentioned girlfriends from school, or from the Advertising firm she had worked at previously. She got together with Sarah over drinks at least once a week and talked to her daily. One morning before work, she announced that she wanted to 'talk'.

"Martin, what do you think about setting Sarah up with Simon?"

"Oh, please. You can't be serious."

"Why not?"

"I don't want to have anything to do with this. I've known Simon too long to do this to him."

"What do you mean? Don't you like Sarah?"

"I don't know. She's OK, I guess."

"Oh, come on. They'd be perfect for one another."

"Whatever."

"Dammit, Martin! I'm serious."

"What do you want from me?"

"I need your help. I thought you could invite him over for dinner and I'll invite Sarah."

"And they just happen to both be invited on the same night?"

"Something like that, yeah. Come on."

"Oh, for God's sake." I looked over at her and could tell she wasn't going to drop it that easy. "Alright. Whatever. I need to go to work."

I called Simon and told him what Teresa was planning.

~What is she like?

"She's pretty. Tall, blonde, blue eyes."

~Personality?

"I don't know. She's talkative, funny, lots of friends. Everyone in the office likes her."

~Why is she single, then?

"I don't know. Why are you still single?"

(Long pause)

~Alright. It couldn't hurt. When?

"I have no idea. I'll let you know."

Teresa didn't waste any time. She arranged it with Sarah to come over for dinner the following Thursday evening at 7. She called me at work.

"Hi, T. What do you need?"

~Do you have to be so curt all the time?

"I'm busy. Anyway, I know you didn't call to chit chat."

~Fine. I've invited Sarah over to dinner next Thursday night.

"OK. Is that what you called to tell me?"

~Martin! Can you call Simon and invite him?

"Oh, shit. Teresa, can't you just drop it? Besides, I can't next Thursday; I'm busy."

~You're always busy. When was the last time we had people over to the house for dinner?

"I give up, when?"

~Martin, please! Can you cancel your business plans this once? Please?

*sigh* "I guess so. Why is this so important?"

~I am tired of staying at home all the time while you work. I want us to socialize more.

"OK, OK. I get it."

~So, you'll call him today?

"YES, Teresa. I'll call him."

~Why are you so testy?

"I can think of a few reasons. Stop pushing."

~It's not my fault. You're the one who works all the time.

"Whatever. I need to go; I have another call holding."

~OK. Call me after you talk to Simon.

"OK, Bye."

That afternoon Joann announced that Teresa was on the line again. I hadn't even had a free minute to think about calling Simon. Well, that wasn't exactly the truth. I didn't want to call him. I had time over my lunch hour. When I didn't have an appointment, Joann brought me a lunch and I sat at my desk with the door closed. Most of the time, I was working. That day I spent surfing porn on the internet and jacking off. That's pretty much how I got off those days; it wasn't with Teresa.

~Teresa is still holding for you on your first line.

"Joann, can you tell her I'm headed into a meeting or something?"

~Sure, Martin. I'll take a message.

"Don't put too much effort into the message. I know what she wants."

~Um, OK.

I tried to avoid talking to Teresa as much as possible. I wasn't getting much out of our arrangement. There was the occasional business advantage, but I was beginning to wonder if I couldn't just carry on a lot better without her.

But every time I thought about asking her to look for a job so I would feel better about kicking her out, something would happen. She would surprise me by greeting me at the door in a maid costume, or she would cook this amazing meal in nothing but high heels. It didn't happen very often. In fact, only twice in the previous 4 months.

Then there was the other feeling. I didn't want to be alone.

Whatever the reason, I wasn't prepared to let her go. Last month, the death of her grandfather kept me from doing it.

Teresa called me from home crying, or more accurately, sobbing. I couldn't recall ever seeing her cry like that, so it really concerned me. The funeral was being held on a Friday in St. Louis and she pleaded with me to go with her. I reluctantly cleared my appointments for late Thursday and Friday. I didn't want to seem like a heartless bastard but the last thing on this earth that I wanted to do was spend 4 consecutive hours trapped in a tiny space with Teresa. I had no choice; there were no available flights or charters of any type.

We checked into The Drury Hotel around 10:30pm. Teresa slept for most of the drive. We met her parents for breakfast in the lobby at 8am the following morning. That's when I discovered that the visitation was actually Friday, and the funeral was being held on Saturday morning. There was a family function at her grandparents' house directly after the visitation.

I had met her parents on one occasion. We went over to their house for dinner on Father's Day. At first I thought it was kind of odd that Teresa hardly ever spoke with them or saw them. They lived in Blue Springs, just 30 minutes away from us. After spending one dinner with them, it was obvious.

And this breakfast was no different. Right off the bat, her mother, Julie started in.

"You look pale. Have you had a check-up recently?"

"Yes, mother." Teresa lied.

It's not like Julie was asking because she cared about Teresa's health. She was concerned about how she appeared.

"I hope that's not what you're wearing to the visitation." Julie sniped, as she peered over her cup of coffee.

Teresa ignored her.

It was easy to see how closely she could resemble her mother in personality. I didn't see it at first, but the more time I spent with Teresa, the clearer it became. Still, she had some of her father's qualities, too. He was quiet and reserved. He looked many years older than Julie, and I pitied him. He had been worn down by years of nagging. He was kind, and courteous, and warm. Teresa had brief moments where she possessed the same sweetness.

The visitation lasted a painful 3 hours. I stepped outside the funeral home to conduct business on the phone for most of it. Teresa and Julie took turns walking by the doorway to glare at me, but I didn't care.

In the car on the way to her grandmother's house, Teresa managed to get her fill of barking at me.

"God, Martin, can't you leave fucking work for one day? It's Pappy's funeral for God's sake. I had to mingle alone. What's the purpose of you coming if I'm going to be unescorted the whole time...?"

I shrugged. She kept going but I just tuned her out. I could see how her father became the way he was.

I parked the car in front of the house. It was an old ranch style home on an oversized lot. I looked over at Teresa. She was sulking.

"I'm sorry. I promise to stay off the phone until after the family gathering. OK?"

She shrugged and nodded. Something else seemed to be bothering her.

"Are you OK?"

She shrugged again. "Yeah. I just haven't been here since I was a kid. I guess I'm sad that I didn't spend more time with him before he died."

I was surprised at the genuine show of emotion. It had been a long time since I'd seen that side of her.

The people were gathered in the backyard. We took two seats next to her parent's lawn chairs. A few of the neighbors showed up with food. There were maybe 20 guests in all. The only family there was Teresa's grandmother, her Uncle Jay and his family, and one of Julie's cousins and her family. I was surprised to see young children running around since Teresa was the only grandchild, but Uncle Jay was only 18 years older than she was, and he only just married a few years ago. Their son was 4. He was an adorable little boy with tons of energy. That worked in his favor as he was desperately trying to keep up with his cousins who were maybe 6 or so. I tried to pay attention and follow the conversation as Julie pointed out the individuals, but it was impossible. The kids were distracting, and I couldn't get work off my mind.

It dawned on me as I was watching all the kids run around, that there were a lot of toys there.

"How did they get all these toys in their cars?"

Teresa shrugged, "I don't know; there are tons."

Neither Julie, nor Richard responded.

Teresa's Mama ambled up to us. Teresa stood up and hugged her.

"Are you still baking, my dear?"

"Every chance I get. Mama, I didn't get a chance to introduce you to Martin."

"I'm so sorry it isn't under better circumstances." I quickly said, as I stood up and hugged her.

"Oh, it's OK. We're just old and it was his time. I'm going to miss this house, though."

"Where are you going, Mama?" Teresa asked. She sounded almost like a child.

"I'm moving in with Jay and Cheryl. They are expecting another baby and I can help them with the children."

"That's nice." I didn't know what to say. "Did they bring all these toys?" Teresa gave me an odd look. I know, it doesn't matter...I am just curious.

"Oh no, of course not. These toys were Teresa's when she was a child."

Teresa looked around and back at Mama and me. "Are you sure? I don't remember them."

"Oh, yes. They were yours, alright. Your parents left them here when you moved and I've kept them locked up in your old bedroom since. I knew they would come in handy for visitors someday."

Teresa's cheeks started to turn pink. "I don't remember..." her voice trailed off.

"I know there's one you'll remember. It was your favorite." She took my arm and started to lead us inside while she continued.

"Teresa loved horses and used to beg her mother for one. One Saturday morning while she was spending the weekend with us, Jay brought over this pony. It was tall enough for Teresa to ride – at that time, of course. I can't remember how old she was, maybe 6 or 7. Oh, it was too many years ago. Anyway, you should have seen her face when he brought it in. She could light up the entire room. She insisted on sleeping with it that night. Darn near took up the entire bed. Oh, I remember how she bawled when her daddy told her she would have to leave it here."

We made our way down the hallway to a small bedroom. In the corner was a stuffed brown and white horse with a vinyl saddle and little stirrups. There were worn spots in the fur and stains of all sorts. It was definitely well loved.

Teresa came around the corner and stared blankly at it. She blinked a couple of times and then squinted her eyes. "Maybe...I don't know."

Someone called out to her grandmother for assistance in locating something, so she excused herself and hurried toward the kitchen.

Teresa knelt down and picked up a music box with a ballerina on it. She turned it over and in a child's writing was the name 'Teresa'. She fumbled it and I noticed her hands were trembling.

"Is it coming back to you?" I was ready to start teasing her for not remembering.

She stood up quickly and fell into me. "Whoa. Are you OK?"

She was swallowing hard. Her face color resembled a glow in the dark object, a very pale green. "I think I'm going to be sick."

I hoisted her off to the restroom where she immediately began vomiting. She waved me away with a gesture over her head, and I shut the door behind her. I stood there for a few minutes, then I decided to go out to the patio for a bottle of water.

Julie looked at me suspiciously, "Where is Teresa?"

I didn't want to tell her anything, but I knew she would find out sooner or later.

"She's in the restroom; she's not feeling well. I was just coming out here to get her some water."

Julie snatched the water from my hand and turned on her heel toward the restroom. I looked at Richard.

"Leave 'em. Julie will take care of her."

"I didn't leave her in there or anything. She wouldn't let me stay in the bathroom with her."

"Oh, I know. She's just like her mother. She won't let anyone help her do anything and she can't stand to suffer the indignity of being ill. It's not your fault."

I sat down in the chair next to Richard and surveyed the scene for a second before continuing.

"I'm not sure what made her sick. I don't think she's eaten anything since breakfast. We were in the guest bedroom looking at some old pony that Teresa used to play with."

Richard glanced across the patio and then back at me. "Did she remember it?"

"No. That was the strange part. She was trying to remember and then she turned pale and we made a dash for the restroom."

Richard shifted in his seat and took a big breath. He looked off in the yard when he spoke. "She loved that pony. Threw a huge fit when we left it behind. I guess that's why she doesn't remember it."

Jay's little boy tossed his ball in the air and it rolled to Richard's feet. He looked up and kicked it out into the yard and then made eye contact with Jay. Jay got up and walked out and fetched the ball. I guess Richard can be just as harsh as Julie.

Julie returned with a folded towel in her hand. She shoved it at me and said, "You need to take her to the hotel. She can't continue to hog the hall bath, forcing everyone else to traipse through mother's bedroom and use her private bathroom."

Cold bitch! "OK. Bye, Richard. We'll see you at the funeral tomorrow morning."

Julie had to have the last word, "If she's not feeling any better, it's just best not to come. No sense getting everyone sick."

I started to feel sorry for Teresa. I couldn't even imagine what it would be like to grow up with this woman as my mother. Geez!

We got to the hotel without incident and Teresa napped for a couple of hours while I logged onto my laptop and answered e-mails. Around 5 O'clock she sat up in bed and looked around. She took a swig from the water bottle sitting on the bedside table.

I looked up from my laptop screen, "How are you feeling?"

She looked at me with wide eyes, still a little dazed. "I'm hungry."

I got up and walked around the desk and sat on the bed. I felt her forehead. "You don't seem to be running a fever." I ran the backs of my fingers over her cheeks. I really felt bad for her.

"I'm fine. I'm going to take a shower, then let's go to one of these restaurants by the mall. That way you can come back here and work while I go shopping. But we need to hurry; the mall only stays open until 9:30."

She pulled away, jumped up and trotted off to the bathroom.

I guess ever since that weekend, I've felt a twinge of guilt at the thought of leaving her.

I picked up the phone and dialed.

~Hello.

"Hey, Simon! How ya doin?"

~Good. What's up?

"Teresa wants to know if you can come over for dinner Thursday night around 7."

~Oh, is this that deal with her friend?

"Yep."

(pause)

~Yeah, I guess I can make it. Do you want me to bring anything?

"Not really, but you know how Teresa loves wine, so it wouldn't hurt. And listen, man, don't sweat the whole Sarah thing. It's no big deal."

~Alright. I'll try not to.

"I gotta get back to work. I'll talk to you later."

~See ya.

I hung up and dialed again.

~Hey, I called you awhile ago.

"Yeah, I got the message. Simon is good to go."

~You called him?

"Yeah."

What was the name of this guy's agent? I was reading through the contracts and noticed the missing field.

~I'm thinking chicken and roasted potatoes with asparagus. Does Simon like asparagus?

"Uh...Uh, huh."

~You're not even listening, Martin.

"Look, I called him; what more do you want from me? Figure out the rest."

~Fine. I'll see you later.

She hung up.

Chapter 8

I was surprised to find out that Simon asked Sarah out on a date after Teresa's dinner set-up with the two of them. I was even more surprised to be informed that they were still dating a month later.

"I told you they would hit it off." Teresa sneered.

I ignored her invitation to argue. I wasn't in the mood. I continued getting dressed for work. "Hey, I have a business meeting tonight with a guy named Ted Jacobs. I would like for you to join us."

"What if I have plans?"

I looked at her in the mirror. She was hell-bent on getting into it that morning.

"I don't have the patience for this shit this morning. You can meet us at Hereford House at 7:30, or you can pack your things and move out. It's your choice."

Teresa's jaw dropped and she stood there for a moment. I think I actually made her speechless. I didn't want to hang around long enough for her to think up something nasty to say so I grabbed my jacket off the hanger and walked out the door. I even skipped coffee and stopped at Starbucks, instead.

Unfortunately, she showed up. Fortunately, however, she was in a far better mood. She walked up to the table and kissed me on the cheek, "Hello, sweetheart, I've missed you today."

I smiled at her sarcasm. "I want you to meet Ted Jacobs. Ted, this is Teresa."

Ted half stood up and shook her hand across the table. "Pleased to meet you...have we met before?" He cocked his head to one side.

"I don't believe so. I think I have one of those faces; I get that all the time."

Ted dismissed it and we continued talking over dinner. We talked mostly about business.

The next day was Wednesday. My phone rang at 8:00am on the nose. Joann wasn't at her desk yet, so I answered.

"Hello, Martin Sullivan."

~Martin. Ted Jacobs. How are you?

"Good, Ted. What can I do for you?"

~I know this is a long shot, but are you free for lunch today?

I looked up at my Outlook calendar. I only had one appointment at 9am. It was an unusually quiet day.

"It just so happens I'm free. What do you have in mind?"

~Do you think you can be at Diamond Joe's around 10:45?

"The strip club?"

~Yeah, do you know where it's at?

"Yes, I know. I can make that."

~Great! I'll meet you there.

I hung up the phone. I'd never had a client who wanted to do business in a strip club. Fine with me.

I walked through the door at around 10:50. The place didn't officially open until 11:00, but I spotted Ted's car in the parking lot so I knew the front door was unlocked already.

No one was manning the hostess desk, yet and the place was pretty empty. I spotted Ted sitting at a table with his back to me. Sitting on his lap was a woman, fully dressed. She spotted me as I walked in and waved me over.

"Martin. Over here."

I squinted my eyes and strained to see who she was. She obviously knew me by sight. I was usually very good at recognizing people I'd met before. I didn't recognize her at all.

"Have we met?"

"No, I'm Donna. Ted's wife."

I shook both their hands. I was still confused. She leaned over and gave Ted a long kiss and then straightened up and started chuckling at me.

"Ted will explain. I have to get dressed. I'm third up today." She walked past the hostess desk and disappeared into a door marked Private.

I sat down and turned to Ted for an explanation.

"I couldn't figure it out for the longest time last night, and it was killing me. I knew I recognized Teresa. Then out of the blue, it came to me. The APV user group."

It took me a couple of seconds to catch-up. I had posted amateur porn videos of Teresa on the website, that's where he recognized her. "Oh, yeah. You saw those?"

"Great work! We've been doing some of our own stuff but my quality isn't as good as yours."

"You've got to have good equipment or the whole thing looks cheap."

"I know. Anyway, that's why Donna recognized you. From the videos. I don't pay much attention to the guys so I totally didn't realize that was you. Do you want a beer?"

D_Lynn
D_Lynn
1,374 Followers
1...34567...17