So Far From Yesterday

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'm still trying to decide if there is. Of course he did send me that stripper awhile back."

Anna smiled at Sam and said, "You didn't."

"Yeah well, it was to make up for me being an ass."

"When do I get something from you for being an ass?"

Jeff leaned back, laughed and emptied his beer and watched his friend squirm just a little. Sam started right then to come up with something for Anna.

Chapter Nine

The prison at Westville was an hour west and south of Mishawaka, and Sam was sitting at the glass barrier waiting to see Carson Philips. The instant he appeared and they looked at each other, Carson stopped and stared. He sat down without taking his eyes off of Sam, and then, picking up the handset said, "What the fuck is this? Who are you?"

"I'm Sam, just like the guard told you. I'm surprised you even agreed to see me."

"Well, for one thing I don't get many visitors, and the other thing is the guard made such a big production of it I had to see for myself. But you didn't answer my question, what the fuck is going on?"

"If you mean why we look alike, I have no idea. I got stopped for speeding and the cop told me about you. In fact, for a minute he thought I was you and I'd escaped prison. Damn near ended up in handcuffs." Carson had to smile when Sam told him that.

"Shit, I have a million questions, but they're only allowing me ten minutes."

"I have questions too. So do you have any brothers?"

"Nah, I'm a only child. You?"

"Same with me....What did you do before this place came into your life?"

"Graphics designer."

"No shit, I'm in advertising and public relations."

"Too weird....You haven't even asked me why I'm here or if I'm guilty."

"I know why you're here and the court saw you as guilty, but that's all I know."

"Well, most of the jerks in here claim to be innocent, but I really am. I've just never found a way to prove it."

"How well did you know the victim?"

"Oh, you know, a friend. We dated a couple of times, but nothing serious."

"So why do they think you killed her then?"

"Because I have an explosive temper is what they said."

"Do you?"

"Hell no....I've been beat up in here a couple of times, and even then I didn't fight back or lose control. Look man, don't sweat it. I was screwed, and there's no damn way to get out of here. Believe me, I've lost a lot of sleep trying to figure how I could prove my innocence, but I'm still here. Fucking lawyer took every cent I had, so I can't buy anything more than gum now. The only people I'm pissed at, is the jury for being so stupid and gullible. They just wanted the trial over so they could go home and put the whole thing out of their minds. I was a pain in the ass for them is all."

"Would you be willing to give your lawyer permission to talk to me about you?"

Carson laughed and said, "Hell yeah, what does it matter now? But you better watch your wallet, because he'll probably charge you for the privilege of being in his office."

"Okay. Tell me his name and I'll give him a call. Then after you've cleared it, I'll talk to him."

"You ever coming back here?"

"I am, if you'll put my name on your visitors list."

"Sure, hell it's nice to talk to somebody from the outside. Too damn cold to even be in the yard for very long."

Sam's time was about up so he said, "Okay Carson, it's good to meet you and I'll be back in...well, I don't know when, but soon."

"Yeah great, thanks." Sam hung up the phone, and as he rose, Carson stood up and they looked at each other one more time before Sam turned and walked out more confused than ever. As soon as he got home, he looked up Andrew Deloria, Carson's lawyer, and left a message with the secretary regarding Carson giving approval to discuss his case. Sam didn't even know why he was messing with Carson and his misery, other than to continue to satisfy his curiosity.

It was late in the afternoon Wednesday, when Mr. Deloria called. Sam explained the almost unbelievable series of events, and that he'd like to talk to Mr. Deloria about Carson as soon as it could be cleared to do so. Even Mr. Deloria seemed curious and said he'd get back with Sam within twenty four hours.

It was close to six when Sam had one of his calls returned. "Mr. Anderson?"

"This is he."

"I got your message about the gift you want to send."

"Great, can you do it?"

"I can. It's seventy five dollars."

"Great."

"Okay, give me your address." With that settled, Sam gave the guy an envelope when he got there and simply said thanks. He had just sent Anna a male stripper along with a note, "I hope this is what you meant at dinner the other night after I told you I sent Jeff a stripper and you said you wanted a gift," and then he drew his best smiley face. It was less than an hour later when Anna called.

"Damn you Sam, are you out of your mind?"

"Now hold on, I gave you the same gift I gave Jeff."

"My god, I was so embarrassed and half frightened."

"Oh, he didn't strip naked."

"How do you know, you weren't here. As a matter of fact he stripped to a tiny thong."

"See, that wasn't so bad."

"It was a mesh thong."

"Oh. So you saw..."

"Don't say it. Yes I saw his...package. I'm going to strangle you when I see you."

"If you do that, I won't be able to send you any more gifts."

"And you better not. That was so...I don't even know what to call it. He just stared at me, smiled and bumped his butt along with his music while he stripped."

"I'm glad he did a good job for you."

"I just can't believe this. I thought you were more sophisticated than that."

"Apparently not."

"Well, he had really hot buns. Bye Sam," and she hung up on him. He just sat there smiling. He could tell by the smile in her voice that she wasn't mad at him, but she was right, that was a pretty cheesy thing for him to do. Then he wondered how Nadia would have reacted in the same situation. He couldn't even imagine how unpleasant that might turn out.

Chapter Ten

Jeff called him just after lunch Wednesday and told him, "Hey, I have an hour to kill between appointments, care to meet me in town for coffee?"

"Sure."

"Downtown South Bend at the Chocolate Cafe in an hour."

"See you there." Unfortunately, as Sam was parking on Michigan Street, Jeff called to tell Sam he was running about fifteen or twenty minutes late. There wasn't much for Sam to do but shrug his shoulders and go inside where it was warm. At the counter, he ordered coffee, studied the long showcase of chocolates of every description, and then found a small table not too far from the entrance. Even though the lunch hour was past, the store was fairly busy so that meant Sam could watch the people as they came and went. He was ready for a refill when he saw her enter. Her back was to him so he took advantage of the situation and studied her. She was in jeans, and with her long legs, she was the only one he had ever known that could make jeans look that dressy and sexy. Modest heels added that certain touch that accented her legs and she walked like she was going down the runway at a fashion show. No pretense really. In fact, she seemed to be concentrating on her mission, whatever it was. As great as she looked that night at the party, she looked a lot more real as she was, a lot sexier too. Her hair was less styled, but it still had that silky looking soft wave to it.

Sam walked up to the counter and standing next to her he asked her, "Could I interest you in a cup of coffee? It's very good." She turned to him and as she realized who it was and smiled, Sam took a moment to swim in her eyes again. Even with less makeup on her eyes pulled at him.

Then she smiled and said, "Well hello, Sam." She looked at her watch and then said, "I have a little time and I'd like that."

"That's the first I've seen you really smile."

"You didn't give me a lot of reason to smile that night at the party." Sam ignored her comment, ordered two coffees and went back to the table to wait until she'd made her purchase. Yes, she was a very good looking and very stylish woman, but the last thing he was interested in was any kind of involvement. He was content with admiring her beauty and hopefully to enjoy her company over coffee.

Nadia came over to his table, and Sam stood and helped her with her chair before sitting down again. "My friend Jeff is supposed to be joining me at some point."

She put her purchase on the corner of the table and asked him, "How are you getting along?"

"Better as time passes of course....No more crying or temper tantrums. No more waking up in the middle of the night wondering where Holly is."

"But she's still in your thoughts."

"Everyday, but I've also thought about what you told me at the party."

What was that?"

"Something about sorrow ages us more than time."

"I really do believe that too."

"I keep going back to how you struck me at the party: The faraway look with your beautiful eyes. You were so intent it was like I could have joined you on your journey wherever you were going. But what confuses me, is how Malcolm seemed so oblivious to the fact that you really weren't with him. You really weren't even at the party. How could he have missed that? You were sending him messages and somehow he managed to look right through you."

"I think you're a little off base, Sam."

"Nadia, I too have an old saying and it fits you perfectly. It's a Latin saying if I remember correctly. 'Often there is eloquence in a single look.' Nadia, you were so eloquent that night, but your escort failed to notice. Or perhaps, he chose not to notice it."

Just as she did at the party, her back straightened and se said, "You don't seem to like Malcolm."

"I don't even know him, or about him. I'm not condemning him, but I am saying he was guilty of not paying attention to you. How that could be possible, I can't imagine."

That last comment caught her off guard. "Sam, you can be abrupt, or rude, or ill mannered...I can't decide....Perhaps just insensitive. But then you toss me such nice and sincere compliments like you consider them simple fact and nothing to dwell on. Thank you."

"You're welcome and I'll have to leave it to you to decide about me."

"I'm not sure I'll ever be able to decide about you. You are handsome, you have very nice social skills that you seem to use or reject on a whim. You flatter me, and insult me, and sometimes in the same sentence. Like you said, you speak your mind, so I guess all of that tells me you're pretty mixed up."

"There are those that would say that's me on one of my better days. I have a friend. She was my decorator actually and we became friends. She's a little like me in that she's more inclined to tell it like it is. She just has much more tact that I have."

She half smiled and said, "I'm sure she has. I better get my gift to my friend." Then she smiled at Sam and added, "No, not Malcolm."

"Good, because he doesn't deserve chocolates from you."

She stood up and as he rose she stopped and asked, "Sam, would you have dinner with me? Just someplace casual...maybe Carraba's here in Mishawaka."

"Are you sure you can put up with me for that long?"

"I'm willing to try if you are."

"I'm willing." He pulled one of his cards from his wallet and said, "Call me later."

She showed him she really could smile then and said, "Talk to you in a little while then. Bye, Sam."

"Bye, Nadia," and he watched her butt and legs as she left him standing there. It was less than a minute later that Jeff appeared.

"Shit, I'm sorry Sam, the day isn't going well."

"It's going great for me. Had you been about one minute sooner you could have met Nadia."

"Who is Nadia? No, you don't have..."

"Hell no, just a friend, but a very good looking friend."

"Shit. I'm at risk of losing a contract and now I miss a beautiful woman. I should be drinking scotch, not coffee. Oh wait, you told me about her."

That was when Andrew Deloria called Sam and asked him to be at his office at five o'clock. After closing his phone, Sam told Jeff about him meeting Carson's lawyer. "What the hell for," Jeff asked.

"Hell, I don't know. Because I'm curious and I can afford to be I guess. It's hard to describe what it felt like looking through the glass and seeing myself in prison garb."

"Sounds so weird, I'm not sure I could go back if I were you."

"Yeah, you could, because it would chew on you just like it's chewing on me."

"So tell me more about this woman Nadia."

"Tall, skinny, but good looking...no, make that damn good looking. Very stylish, has money I'm quite sure...what else...she seems to bring out the best and the worst in me at the same time. I'm going to have dinner with her. I mean not tonight...well, I don't think so anyway. I have to talk to her and find out."

"But no romantic involvement."

"Hell no, just friends is all."

"Like with Anna."

"Not even that close. Actually, I hardly know her. I met her at that after the opera party."

"Right, the night you were stopped and learned about Carson."

"That's it. Seems like every day or so my life takes another turn: Never for the better or worse, just more to think about and get confused over."

Jeff emptied his cup and said, "Sorry to cut this short, this wasn't what I had in mind, but I better get going or I'll be late. Thanks for joining me for coffee."

"My pleasure."

"Let me know how you make out with the lawyer and with Nadia."

"I'll do that."

Chapter Eleven

Sam was at attorney Deloria's office just before five, and surprisingly was ushered into his office without waiting. With the handshake and self introductions made, Sam sat down in front of the desk and Deloria just stared at him. "Amazing," was all he said as he looked at Sam.

"And weird," Sam added.

"Sam, Carson reaffirmed the fact that he had no siblings, but this defies logic."

"I know. As soon as I saw his photo, I knew I had to at least meet him and prove to myself that he existed."

"So the reason you are here is because of the amazing similarity between you two."

"That's what started it anyway."

"And now?"

"And now I want to be convinced he's guilty."

"I can understand that, but what if you decide you believe him innocent?"

"That's why I'm here. To learn what options are available."

"Not many. He was found guilty and the courts denied our appeal."

"Do you believe he's guilty?"

"It doesn't matter what I believe. I'm a defense attorney, so it's my job to defend my client the best I can, guilty, or innocent."

"But what do you think? Going through the trial and hearing the prosecution's case you had to form an opinion: If not by the time of the trial, then afterwards at least."

"I think the jury was too quick with their decision. At the least, they should have been undecided. There just wasn't enough evidence to put a man in prison for, what in effect is, the rest of his life."

"But you're not saying you believe he's innocent."

"No."

Sam had to think about that before he said, "So the trial...or rather, the jury rushed to judgment."

"That's my opinion, yes."

"If new evidence were to be found the conviction could be appealed."

"Of course, but I don't see that happening."

"Let's say I hire a private investigator and he asks to meet with you, would you be willing to talk to him?"

"As long as Carson signs a release, of course I would, but that could prove to be very expensive for you.

"I'm sure they aren't cheap."

"Mr. Anderson, don't get in over your head with this. Every con in that prison will swear on his mother's grave that they are snowy white;

the picture of innocence. It's my job to defend them and I do my best, but I don't dare get personally involved. Also, because you are innocent and look like him, it would be easy to transfer that thought to Carson. He looks frighteningly similar to you, but that's a physical trait and nothing more."

"I understand. Is there an investigator that you use and trust?"

"Ray Medina. My secretary can give you his number. There are other good ones out there as well, so be sure you and Ray are a match. If you two can't work together, it won't matter much how good he is."

"I get your point, but I'm sure he and I can work together. I'll call him so expect to hear from him soon."

Sam left with Ray Medina's number and was soon explaining the whole situation to him as Sam drove toward home. He was to meet with Ray Thursday at one o'clock. Nadia had called a little before four and he was to pick her up at her place so he looked at his watch and smiled. He still had time to freshen up and get to Nadia's for their dinner date. That hit him hard, and he started to call her to cancel. What the hell was he thinking, he had no business having a date. That would be wrong of him. But then was it really a date? There was no romance involved. In fact, it was no different than getting together with Anna for dinner, or Jeff for that matter. It was all the same, friends getting together. He looked at his phone and put it away and kicked it up a few miles an hour.

The area where Nadia lived was a lot like Roger and Angeline's neighborhood. The homes weren't quite as large, and the lots were smaller, but it still wasn't an area where you would expect to find a younger single woman living either. His feet were on her sidewalk before he stopped and waves of doubt and regret washed over him. Whenever he saw Jeff, they would just meet someplace and the same with Anna. This bit about going to the door was a whole lot different. This was a damn date and nothing less, a real old fashioned pick up the woman date, minus the doting parent waiting inside to meet him. He looked toward the street, then back at his car and then toward her front door. He uttered shit, took a breath and went to the door.

As soon as she opened the door her aura erased all of his regrets. Smiling he said, "Good evening."

He stepped inside as her smile continued and she asked, "Have any trouble finding the house?"

"No, you gave perfect directions."

"Good, I'll just get my jacket and we can go."

He helped her slip it on and said, "At the risk of continually repeating myself, you look fantastic."

"Thank you, Sam." Their evening had begun. The drive to Carraba's was pleasant and it continued that way through their first drink and dinner. No mention of Sam's wife or questions about how he was healing. He did his best to behave and she was charming him out of any fears he'd had at the beginning of the evening.

It wasn't hard to see how she stayed so thin. Only one glass of wine, and her meal consisted mostly of salad and what little she ate of her grilled shrimp....Then nothing but black coffee after dinner. Sam was nursing what was left in his cup as he said, "After Noah and I left the party that night, I had something of a life changing experience."

She put her cup down and leaning forward said, "This sounds intriguing, tell me. No wait, let's go back to the house where it's quiet and you can tell me your story. I have a white wine that I just love." Sam swallowed air, looked at her, and then smiled despite his earlier negative thoughts. He was anxious to go back to her place and at the same time he was dreading it. Like Anna had said once when she said, he'd run like the wind if she were to even hint at a relationship beyond friends. That was one of the actions he would consider as they made their way back to her house.

Nadia disappeared for a couple of minutes, so Sam sat down and looked around the room. Either Nadia had excellent taste and a sense for decorating, or she'd hired a decorator. Either way, she had spent a lot more money than Sam had spent when he did his house.

She came back with the bottle of wine and two glasses, and handed them to him to pour. Then sitting down next to him she said, "Okay, tell me your tale, Sam. I've been dying of curiosity. Did it really change your life?"

123456...8