So Far From Yesterday

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'll bet. Look man...I don't know what to say. Thanks for coming down here and for hiring the private cop. Thanks for caring."

"I'll keep doing what I can, but don't get your hopes up."

"Nah, I've been up and down that road. You keep your head and ass down so they don't get another shot at you."

"I'll try to do that."

"So I'll see if I can put this Medina guy on my list and make it easier for him."

"That would help. Glad you won the fight, Carson. Oh, has your lawyer been down to see you?"

"No why, was he planning to?"

"I don't know, I was just curious....Probably no reason for him to come down here for that matter." The guard called time for Carson so they said their goodbyes and Sam headed home. He was frustrated from the lack of answers, but more determined than ever to keep digging.

The next several days passed uneventfully. Anna was with him for a good part of Sunday, Noah stopped and talked to Sam Monday evening, Roger and Angeline were there Tuesday evening, and Jeff on Wednesday. Between his visitors and talking to Medina and Carson's attorney the days were moving fast for Sam. Friday afternoon Detective Fontana called and went over to Sam's. The coffee was made and the two of them sat at the kitchen table with their coffee and talked. "Sam, have you remembered anything or anybody that might help explain the shooting?"

"Nothing....Not a damn thing, and believe me I've been working on it. I don't know if I told you, but I hired a private cop awhile back."

"I know, Medina stopped and told me. I've worked with him before of course. Good man."

"Good to know, because he's expensive."

Fontana tasted his coffee and smiled and said, "So am I, but the city pays my salary."

"Money well spent."

"Thanks, but you better wait and see if I can produce."

"You don't have squat to work with."

"There's not much I'll admit, but I'm not sitting on my hands either. I keep going back to this Carson Philips. I know strange things happen every so often, but that whole thing is chewing on me. I can't connect the dots, but I'm not giving up on it either."

"We talked about that over dinner the other night and I keep going back to that too. I just wish Medina could come up with something about Carson and me. That would help sort things out I'm sure. The bad thing is, I was raised by my aunt and uncle who are dead so there's nobody to ask and I don't remember much. He's going down to talk to Carson, so maybe he'll think of the right questions to ask. Whenever I'm there I spend half of my time staring at him and I don't think very clearly. Look, can I ask you a question off the record?"

"Probably not, but give it a try."

"Are you fully comfortable with Carson's conviction?"

"No. I say that simply because of the lack of evidence. Not because I see him as an upright guy. Hell I don't even know him. But when the D.A. says arrest, that's what happens, and we do our best to provide him with what evidence we can uncover. Nothing personal about it, we just do our jobs. But my saying that changes nothing. Whether or not he's guilty is important to you I'm sure, but I seriously doubt it has anything to do with you being shot."

"Yeah, I know, two different issues. There's a connection there of some kind, but not likely about his guilt or innocence."

"That's it. I wish for your sake he could be found innocent because I can see it's working on you."

"Thanks and yeah, damn it, chews on me. I try to put that whole thing to one side, but it doesn't always work."

"It wouldn't for me either." He put his cup down and said, "Thanks for the coffee," and he stood up. "Better get going."

"Thanks for taking the time to talk to me."

"One of the nice parts of my job."

Chapter Seventeen

Sam was at Anna's door right at six Friday night and she opened the door as he neared. "I could get used to this old fashioned dating thing."

"So you see this as a date?"

"Of course I do. I know that word probably scares you, but you better accept the idea lover."

"I'll work on that." He slipped his arm around her as she joined him on the sidewalk and he said, "If this is a date then I'm allowed certain liberties."

"Now wait a minute, what do you mean by liberties?"

"Like holding you....Maybe even kiss you at some point."

"You certainly are adapting to the dating concept eagerly."

"Of course, you just called me lover after all."

"That was a euphemism."

"Oh, is that all it was." He held the door for her and said, "Don't get used to this. Men only do things like this early in a relationship."

"We're past the early stage of our relationship, we've known each other for five or more months now."

"But we just started dating."

"I think we've been dating far longer than you want to admit handsome."

"First lover and now handsome, you're good for my ego."

"Well, you called me honey in the hospital."

"I did?"

"Yes you did. Of course you were under the influence of drugs at the time."

"I'll be damned."

As they had dinner, Anna smiled at him and looking at the sutured wound where the bullet had entered said, "Your stylist cut your hair a little short on one side."

"Very funny," Sam's phone rang and he looked at Anna, but she nodded so he answered. "Anderson."

"Sam, this is Ray Medina."

"You working late tonight Ray?"

"I'm in Fort Wayne. Where are you now?"

"In a restaurant having dinner with Anna, why?"

"Well, while working on this thing about you and Carson, I decided to come down and have a chat with the witness that put Carson in prison. We talked for about ten minutes this afternoon and then I told him I had an appointment, but I wanted to talk to him afterwards. I said I'd throw in dinner hoping that might relax him. There was something that just didn't feel right, but I couldn't figure out what....His mannerisms or his answers or something. Anyway we don't have a lot of time so I better cut this short. Because of the way he acted when I asked different questions, I decided to try a long shot. I checked with his employer after I left him and he left work early the day you were shot."

"But what..."

"Save the questions. I went back and we were having dinner until my questions seemed to hit another nerve. He really got hinky then, so I pushed him. Well he took off on me. I had to pay for the damn meal and by the time I got outside he was gone. I've called Fontana, but he hasn't called back. I need to get Fort Wayne's finest involved, but he's broken no law, so I need Fontana's help in that area. Anyway I'd feel a lot better if you didn't go home, or at least just go home, grab a few things and get away. You have maybe an hour or so before he'd have time to reach South Bend if he drove like hell."

"But why would he?"

"No time for questions right now, Sam. He could have gone most anywhere, but until we know more, let's not take any chances. If I'm wrong, then I owe you dinner. But if I'm right, you owe me dinner."

"Okay, I'll play it your way even though none of this makes sense."

"I know, it doesn't for me either, but he fell apart and ran for a reason. It has to have something to do with either you being shot or Carson's conviction."

"Keep me posted. I'm not sure where I'll be, but I'll have my phone."

"You got it. This could be a long night, so don't expect a speedy resolution," and he hung up.

Anna had stopped eating and watched as Sam drained his wine glass before saying, "Anna, we're going to have to get the last of this meal to go." Then he told her what Medina had said and she seemed to get pale.

"So what are you going to do?"

"Go back to the house, get a few things and get away: Maybe a motel over by Notre Dame. There's no reason for me to go far so that should do it. I better call Jeff so he doesn't go over to the house tomorrow morning either. I wish I knew more about what was going on though." Anna got the waiter's attention and while their steaks were being boxed up Sam talked to Jeff.

Jeff was quick to say, "Don't go back to the house. Let me know where you are or are going and I'll bring your stuff to you. I'm closer to there than you are. I'll just stuff a bunch of clothes and such in a bag so you'll have to take pot luck."

"Just be damn sure you aren't there too long."

"Count on that one. I'll call you as soon as I'm away from your house."

"Okay, thanks." The waiter returned with a fancy Ruth Chris bag with their dinners inside, and Sam paid the bill and left the waiter a generous tip. As they left, Anna took his hand in hers and said, "We're going to my house."

"Not a good idea, but thanks."

"Sam, remember, I live up near Granger and that's as safe as the Notre Dame area. You'll have your own room and besides, this won't be for more than a day or two anyway. Don't worry, I won't accost you."

"Why not, don't you like me? Okay Anna, let's go to your house. That will be a lot more comfortable than a motel room no matter how fancy it is."

They were inside her townhouse and talking about what Ray could have possibly come up with when Jeff called.

"Out of the house, Sam."

"Come up to Granger," and he gave the directions. "It's Anna's house, so don't be looking for a motel."

"Okay, got it. Damn I could have fun with this if it wasn't so serious."

"Just cool it and we'll tell you what little we know."

"See you in about fifteen minutes."

Sam closed his phone and shook his head saying, "This whole damn mess is just getting worse instead of better."

She put her arms around him and his went around her as she said, "I disagree. I think things are starting to come to a head now. Just because we don't know what's happening, it feels like nothing is happening, but I get the impression your private cop is on the scent of something."

"Damn, I hope so. All of this craziness started after that post opera party and that seems like yesterday to me."

"We're a long way from yesterday, Sam. You were still deep in mourning and we were still trying to decorate and furnish your house, your lawsuit was just getting started. So much has happened since that yesterday." Then she smiled and added, "You met Nadia and also kissed her."

"I kissed you too and even patted your butt."

"Twice. You've experienced a years worth of events in the last few months."

"I guess you're right. But Anna, Holly and Deidra have only been gone five months."

The smile fell from her face as she said, "I know Sam. You'll have them in your mind for a long time and in your heart forever. You're not forgetting them or doing anything wrong."

He pulled her into him and held her tightly as he said, "I don't know what I would have done without you."

She held him tightly as she said, "You would have made it. I hope I've helped you and I think I have, but you would have made it without me."

"I'm not so sure of that at all."

"Sam, is this a good time to ask about Nadia?"

"As in where does she fit in all of this mess?"

"Yes."

"She's a very good looking friend. In a way, I owe her."

"How is that?"

"I think that when she and I went to dinner that night and had wine at her place, it helped me deal with losing Holly and Deidra. It helped me sort out how I feel about things and people in general. Of course you're much more important and influential in that area, but she did help."

"Are you going to help her deal with losing her husband?"

"She doesn't need my help."

Chapter Eighteen

It was close to forty five minutes later when Jeff arrived with Sam's survival kit. As soon as he went in, Sam asked him, "Did you reset the alarm?"

"Of course and all I brought you to wear is jeans shirts and underwear. I didn't take time to be particular, so good luck."

"That's all I need and thanks. Like Anna said, this won't last very long anyway."

Medina called again and told Sam, "Fontana finally called back and the police are helping, but it's too late. He could be about anywhere now. I'm on my way back to talk to Fontana and go over the questions I asked, and the answers I got. Something in that conversation set him off, or the direction I was taking or something. He's running, and people don't run away and hide for the exercise. Try to get some sleep and I'll call you when I know more."

"Thanks Ray. So you still don't know why he ran so you don't know if it's about me or Carson."

"We don't know right now, but we'll figure it out. Like we've both said, there's a connection there someplace. Nothing else makes sense. Talk to you soon," and he hung up without waiting for a reply.

Jeff left a few minutes later, and Sam dropped heavily onto Anna's couch. Anna sat down next to him and leaned against his side asking him, "How are you holding up?"

He put his arm around her and tucking her closer to him said, "I'm okay I guess, just tired, frustrated, mad, and confused."

She turned toward him and with her right hand on his thigh she looked up and said, "But you're alive and safe."

He looked down and smiling said, "And once again, it's you that's there for me." She smiled and then he bent his head down and kissed her lightly. He paused then and kissed her again, and then again, but the third kiss was long and far more than they had ever shared before. Anna reached up to him with her lips and with her hand now on the back of his neck she encouraged him to continue.

When they finally broke the kiss they looked at each other before she told him, "See, that's proof that we've been dating for at least a little while." He was still looking down at her when she added, "And don't you dare tell me you shouldn't have done that, or that you're sorry."

"I keep thinking I should have those feelings and thoughts, but they just won't come."

"Sam, don't try to run your life according to what you think others would expect of you. You'll never succeed at that and you know that. You have to do what feels right to you and nobody else." She waited for him to say something, but when he didn't she continued. "Sam, you have been taking me to lavish dinners and you've been so attentive and flattering and I've loved every minute of it. But that's not how people are with their friends, or at least the people I know. I know you care for me, because you've told me in every way but by words. And it has to be pretty clear to you that I care for you too. I care for you very much in fact."

"Anna, I do care for you and you're right, it goes beyond a friendship. In one way, that whole idea scares the hell out of me, but I can't imagine not having you in my life. There's no place in the world I'd rather be than next to you."

"Are you afraid you'll lose me somehow? Does that have anything to do with your fears?"

"I don't know, maybe."

"You know Sam, all along I've had fears that I would lose you, but I have to take that chance. If I do lose you, it won't be because I didn't try, or because I was the one to walk away. Look Sam, for now, you need to focus on what's going on, but I'm staying close to you even if it costs me some business. I saw you being shot and I survived that, so you're stuck with me." They kissed again and then sat there as close to each other as they could get.

Sam settled into Anna's guest room for the night, but as much as he hoped Medina would call, it didn't happen until they were having morning coffee together. "Sam, just letting you know that nothing has changed so stay where you are and don't go wandering into familiar territory. I told Fontana that you were in hiding and he thought that was a very good idea. If we find that he's not your shooter, then great, and no harm done. But if he is, or played a part in it, you're right where you need to be. Once they find him and they have a chance to question him, maybe we can learn something."

Sam sighed and said, "Okay Ray, thanks for keeping us posted," and he closed his phone.

Whenever Sam would get close to Anna, he'd kiss her lightly or pat her ass, and they smiled like kids sharing a secret, whenever they looked at each other. For dinner they took Anna's car and drove north to Dowagiac for dinner at Zeke's.

They went back to the house and Sam started to read one of Anna's books as she tried to finish the one she was reading. That lasted until ten when Sam said, "I need to borrow your car." She looked at him and felt a shot of fear as she asked him why. "I want to drive past my house and see if anybody is there or is lurking around. He ran from Ray, but why? Where would he go?"

"Sam you're crazy. Let the police do that."

"I can't just sit here and do nothing. Don't worry, I won't do anything stupid."

"Too late, just driving over there is stupid and dangerous."

"He won't suspect anything, because he'll be looking for my car."

"Then I'm going with you."

"Anna, that's not a good idea."

"That's what I just told you, so if it's safe for you, then it's safe for me as well."

"Damn, you're stubborn."

"Besides, I'll have to drive so you can keep out of sight, and also he won't be looking for a woman."

"Okay you win, let's go."

Chapter Nineteen

Their first pass by the house yielded nothing, so they went around the block and tried again, driving slower as they passed the house. Sam was low in his seat just peering over the dashboard as he said, "I don't see anything."

"I don't either," but then a car went by them in the opposite direction and Anna said, "That's the same dark color of car that I saw the night you were shot."

Sam sat up and told her, "Go to the corner and turn right. Go maybe twenty feet and then stop."

"Sam, you're not getting out of this car."

"You're right honey. Now once you stop, turn your lights off and back through the intersection until he can't see us."

She was following his instructions but she asked, "Why do it this way?"

"We don't want him to see our brake lights. Now once you've backed up far enough, then ease down the street toward the house. Once you're moving take your foot off of the accelerator and let the engine idle. That will get us there without any noise."

Once turned around they eased back down the street and Anna said, "There's the car, just short of your house."

"Yeah, parked and not moving. Wait, there he is in my front yard." Sam grabbed his phone and punched auto dial. Seconds later Sam told the dispatcher that he was being stalked and that he'd been shot not long ago. That got the police rolling toward his house as Sam said, "Get his license number," but with their lights off they couldn't make out the numbers. Then whoever it was in his front yard saw their car and ran for his. "Damn it, he's going to get away." Anna slammed on her brakes and put her lights back on as he asked her, "What are you doing?"

"I don't know, but there's no point in driving past him and giving him a target." The guy jumped in his car and pulled away just as Anna stomped on her accelerator and caught him, almost passed him and then yanked her steering wheel to the right as fast as she could. The brakes on the dark car screamed in protest, but he still hit Anna as he turned right too late to avoid her. He still hit her and both of them ended up crosswise to the road and next to each other. Anna threw her car into reverse, spun her wheel to the left and again floored the accelerator. Now they were facing the bad guy and he was starting to back away from the curb. Anna aimed their car at the dark car and took off as fast as she could slamming into his passenger side. Their airbags went off and the dust was everywhere, but she kept her foot on the gas and pushed the other car sideways for a number of feet before her momentum gave out and they stopped. They couldn't see much, but she put it in reverse and backed away as she looked out of her side window then stopped. The dark car was still and again crosswise with the road.

1...345678