The Big Time Pt. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

“Okay.” Kirsten was still in the hospital bed. “Do they have to go?” Natalie and Kirsten’s family were in the room.

“As long as they don’t interrupt, they can stay,” said Detective Jaren. He flipped his little notebook open. “Tell us what happened on Saturday afternoon.”

“I was talking with my co-star and we sorta ended up walking into an alley. We didn’t even see the guy approach us. He yelled at us to empty our pockets. Then Mike said something to his dog and he started growling.”

“You’re referring to Michael Torbin correct?” asked Detective Altice. Kirsten nodded. “What happened next?”

“The mugger got scared. He looked like he was going to back off but a car came to a sudden stop behind him. Things seemed to go a lot faster from that point. He turned around suddenly which I guess spooked X because he attacked him. I only heard the shot.”

“What did Mike do?”

“He um, I guess he tackled me.” She motioned towards Natalie. “She told me the bullet went through his shoulder before it hit me. It gets kind of hazy after that. I remember lots of people came around, then the police then an ambulance.”

“Did you know the man who was killed?”

“No,” said Kirsten. “Who was he?”

Jaren flipped his notebook closed. “We don’t know. There was no ID, fingerprints weren’t in the system and nobody has come to claim the body.”

“What’s going to happen to him?” asked Kirsten.

“The morgue will give it another week and a half before they give him a serial number and a burial,” said Altice.

“How awful,” said Inez.

“Well, we probably won’t need to talk to you again. In all likelihood this is over for you,” said Altice. “I hope you feel better.” They turned to leave but Detective Jaren hung back.

“I’m sorry to bother you like this Miss Dunst, but could I trouble you for an autograph? My daughter loves you.” He took out a folded magazine cover with Kirsten’s picture on it.

Kirsten smiled. “Sure, no problem.” She wrote a little note on the cover and handed it back to the detective.

“Thanks.” He left the room.

“How terrible to die alone like that,” said Inez.

Natalie checked her watch. “I really wish I didn’t have to go Kiki but George is threatening to digitally replace me. I think he might do it too.”

“Go, go, I’m okay now. Thank you so much for staying for so long,” said Kirsten as she sat up gingerly.

Natalie hugged her. “I’ll see you Kiki.” Natalie opened the door and left the room.

1:56 pm. Michael and Thomas’s house.

Thomas was sitting at the kitchen table rubbing his temple. He had been on the phone for hours trying to find out what happened to X. The celerity of the legal system never ceased to amaze him. “Okay, sir, I’ve found the animal you’re referring to.”

“Jesus, took long enough. So is he okay? You guys are taking care of him?” asked Thomas.

“All the animals in our care receive good care Mr. Mannette.”

“Fine, I’m sure they do. So when can I come pick him up?”

“You’re the owner of this dog?”

“No, I’m a friend of the owner.”

“Oh. Well I can’t release this animal into your custody then.”

“Yes you can, the guy who owns the dog told me I could take him.”

“Unless he transferred ownership of the dog to you, I can’t release him.”

Thomas sighed. “Fine. What is it going to take for me to take this dog off your hands?”

“I just told you. Anything else?”

“No. Thanks.” He dialed Michael’s cell phone but no one answered. “Damnit Mike, pick up the phone.” He beeped the phone off and headed for the refrigerator. Thomas was not feeling particularly happy with the way things had played out the last few days, especially with Keira and Elisha.

Once word about the shooting reached London Keira was ordered home by her parents on the first flight out. Elisha, on the other hand, left on her own after visiting with Kirsten. There was real fury in her eyes when she stormed out of Michael’s room in the hospital and Thomas was unable to provide any comfort for her. She and Thomas were still on good terms but losing two lays like that in three days was pretty rough on him.

8:00 am. Wednesday, July 9. Conference Room “A.” Shooting Stars Talent Agency. Los Angeles, California.

“Everybody here?” Simon did a quick head count. “Good. I’ve got lots of news.”

“I hope you do,” said Paige as she sipped her second steaming cup of coffee. She was a minor agent of the firm.

“Alright. Number one, we’vefinally found out where Kirsten is. Turns out the only way around the new laws that keep hospitals from releasing information about their patients is for the patient to contact you personally. But aside from making me sick with worry, there were some pleasant side effects. Media frenzy has been kept at a, well, non-frenzy level. This is a unique opportunity for Kirsten and for us. It’s key that we harness the power of this horrible event.”

“Whoa whoa, before we turn the spin doctors loose, why don’t you tell us what actually happened?” asked Jerry, after Simon the next highest ranking agent.

“Kirsten told me that she was fighting with Michael and they were jumped by a mugger. Michael’s dog attacked the mugger but he fired off a shot before he was killed. After that, Kirsten was taken to the hospital. The doctors said she was extremely lucky. The bullet was only inches from her spinal cord when it was removed. The prognosis is good and she’s due to be discharged today.”

“Think of the sympathy,” said Paige.

“No studio would turn her down,” said Jake, one of the publicists.

“We’re at a critical juncture here people. Jake, your team has to be on the ball for this one.”

“No problem Simon. We’ll get to work right away.”

“Hey wait a second,” said Jerry. “Who is Michael and what happened to him?”

“Don’t worry, I was getting to him. Michael is a new talent we signed a while ago. He was the lead in this movie,” answered Simon.

“Was Michael hurt during the mugging?” asked Jerry.

“Kirsten said he was shot in the shoulder. Bear in mind that only one shot was fired,” said Simon. The people sitting around the table quickly understood what he meant. “So here’s the angle we take with him; a real life hero playing fictional heroes.” Jake was rubbing his hands together in anticipation. “But before we can do anything about him, we have to find him first. He’s not in the hospital, but that’s all I know.”

“Doesn’t he have a cell phone?” asked Paige.

“I’ve left dozens of voicemails for him. He hasn’t returned any of them. I’ve spoken to his housemate, but he doesn’t know anything either.”

“If he doesn’t pop up soon he’ll be hanging his own neck,” said Willis, the agency’s lawyer. “Paramount is not going to be happy about him taking their money and running.”

“I assume Paramount has already contacted you about the future of the movie?” asked Simon.

“Yes. Official word is the film is postponed indefinitely. Unofficially, they’re not stupid, the publicity will be huge. If they can get Kirsten and Michael back, they want to finish the movie and get it out there.”

“Let’s find him then,” said Simon. “You’ve got promo pics and other stuff right? Use whatever footage you can get your hands on and get his name and face out there. That ought to flush him out but if somehow he never surfaces, people will forget him just as quickly as you can take him off Entertainment Weekly.”

“Okay, we’re on it.”

3:07 pm. Thursday, July 10.

Kirsten opened the door to her parent’s house and stepped inside. When she had gone out earlier that afternoon she made sure to leave all the lights on along with a television and the radio in her room. She was never comfortable with silence but the shooting had amplified all of her insecurities and fears tenfold. Kirsten had even gone back to clutching one of her teddy bears when she went to sleep.

While she was officially a homeowner she could not bring herself to live on her own just yet. Nobody was home now and she was uncomfortable even with that temporary emptiness. She entered the kitchen and opened the refrigerator. Pushing aside some old pancake batter she found a can of Pepsi Twist and cracked it open.

She went into the living room to watch television. As she settled on some cartoons she took her cell phone out and turned it on. There was a “who’s who” list of Hollywood names scrolling up the voicemail menu. Producers, directors, actors and actresses all calling to offer sympathies. Well, she assumed they were offering sympathies; she had no intention of listening to every single one. The only ones she cared about were the ones from her friends.

Kirsten listened to the messages one by one. They pretty much all sounded the same except for the voice saying them. Mila, Jennifer, Eliza, Tobey and Rachael were among the people who had left messages. She decided to call Eliza first.

“Hello?”

“Hey Eliza,” said Kirsten.

“Kiki hi!” said Eliza. “How are you?”

“I’m okay.”

“Just okay? What are you doing?”

“Um.” She looked at the television screen. “Watching cartoons.”

“Toons? I’m down with toons. Mind if I come over?”

“It’d be a relief if you did.”

“Great, be by in a few.”

***

Michael and Thomas’s house. Chicago, Illinois.

“You can’t. He has to stay in our custody until the sentencing.”

“Sentencing? He’s a dog.”

“Animals who have taken a human life are usually put down. We’re just waiting for the official word.”

Thomas stood from the table. “What? You can’t put him to sleep he was only protecting his owner!”

“I don’t know the specifics Mr. Mannette. I suggest you speak to the detective on the case.” The man hung up.

“Shit.” He called the police station and was put in contact with Detective Altice. “Yes, hi my name is Tom Mannette, I’m trying to get my friend’s dog back. He was the one involved with the shooting a few days back.”

“I doubt you’re going to be able get him back. He killed someone.”

“But you know why he did it right? He was ordered to. It’s not like he’s a stray.”

“That might be why he has to be put down. He has to have a license to own a trained attack dog.”

“He’s a house dog! Not an attack dog! He won’t hurt anyone unless Mike tells him to!”

“Exactly. Now I have to get back to work.”

“Wait!”

“What is it?” asked Detective Altice, annoyed.

“When are you going to put him to sleep?”

“I don’t know, that’s not my call. Goodbye.”

“Then whose call is it?!” snapped Thomas.

“Talk to Animal Control.” She hung up.

“I already did,” muttered Thomas to himself as he again dialed the number for Animal Control.

3:37 pm. Dunst residence. Los Angeles, California.

Eliza knocked on the door. She waited a few seconds then opened it up and walked inside. “Hey Kiki, what’s with all the cars?” She stopped as a trio of women lounging in the living room came into view. “Oh, so you call me last?”

“Hi Eliza,” said Kirsten from the couch. She was flanked by Elisha and Mila. “I called you first actually, they just got here before you.”

“Hey Eliza,” greeted Elisha and Mila.

“I don’t get this show,” said Mila. “What is that little sponge’s problem?”

“He seems to be really angry at something,” said Elisha.

“He’s not angry, he’s just excitable,” retorted Kirsten.

“Well shove over Elisha,” said Eliza. She squeezed herself down into a small space on the couch. “Spongebob sucks. Let’s watch something else.”

“He does not suck,” said Kirsten.

“He blows,” said Mila.

“You are so clever,” said Kirsten. “What do you want to watch?”

“I don’t know, I have no idea what’s on in the afternoon,” said Eliza.

“Spongebob it is then.”

“NO, I’ll find something,” said Eliza as she reached over and snatched the remote from Kirsten.

“Hey!” Kirsten lunged across the couch at Eliza, sprawling herself across the laps of Mila and Elisha.

Eliza held the remote just out of reach of Kirsten’s outstretched hands, taunting her. “Hmm, I wonder what ELSE is on?” She began flipping channels.

“Give it back!” laughed Kirsten as she crawled over Mila and Elisha.

“They’re like this every afternoon,” said Mila with a mockingly exasperated look on her face.

Eliza was now trying to escape but Kirsten had a firm grip on her hips. “I can’t wait until they have to go back to school in the fall,” said Elisha.

“Okay MOM,” said Kirsten. “Maybe if you get the remote back we won’t be acting like this.” She continued clutching at Eliza’s hand.

“No need,” said Elisha. She retrieved the remote control for the DVD player and began playing a disc. “I’ll just put on your favorite movie...” Leatherface decapitated a screaming half naked woman. “Texas Chainsaw Massacre,” said Elisha bewilderedly.

Kirsten stopped messing around with Eliza. “That’s Chris’s.”

“Aaaaanyway,” said Eliza. She turned the television off. “Enough TV, let’s go do something.”

Kirsten checked her watch. “If you wanna wait a little while we can eat dinner here, my mom would love having you.”

“NO,” said her three friends simultaneously.

“Uh, I mean, Eliza’s right, we should go out, it’s Friday you know,” said Mila.

“Yeah, we don’t wanna impose on your mom anyway,” said Elisha.

“I’m driving,” said Eliza, not even bothering to sugarcoat her disdain for Kirsten’s mother’s cooking.

5:56 pm. Vocelli’s.

“Tell me what you guy’s think of this,” said Kirsten. The four them were sitting in one of Los Angeles’s trendiest health food spots. “I had lunch with my publicist today. She tells me that Simon has some big plans for my future.”

“Every agent has ‘big’ plans,” said Eliza.

“Get this though, he wants to treat what happened in Chicago as some big publicity stunt.”

“That’s disgusting,” said Mila.

“That’s despicable,” agreed Elisha.

“That’s shrewd,” said Eliza. They all stared at her. “It was front page news Kiki, everyone in the country knows what happened. I bet your fan clubs have been deluged with sympathy letters.”

“So what?” said Kirsten.

“That’s terrible Eliza, someone is dead and you think it’s a good thing?” said Elisha.

“Not that someone is dead Elisha, but that Kiki is in the public eye more than ever now. She does have a career you know.”

“I know that. But we all know she wasn’t alone in that alley.”

“Screw Mike, what does he have to do with it?” said Eliza. “It’s not like any of us are going to have to deal with him anytime soon, right Kiki?”

“Yeah…that’s right.”

Someone’s cell phone rang and everybody reached for their purses. It turned out to be Eliza’s. “Hello?...Hey Rose, what’s up?...Saturday? Wicked, I’ll be there…Bye.”

“But-“ said Elisha before Eliza cut her off.

“Clear your Saturday night ladies, we just got an invite to Deep. That place is hot,” said Eliza. “You better clear your Sunday night too.”

“Wish I could,” said Mila.

“You have to,” insisted Eliza. “It’s a guaranteed great time.”

“I can’t, I’ll be out of town with Peter,” said Mila. “Besides, Rose creeps me out.”

“Alright fine. You two?”

“Sure,” said Kirsten.

“Maybe I’ll pop in for a little while,” said Elisha. “Back to the Mike-bashing.”

“Elisha I don’t want to hear it,” said Kirsten.

“But-“

“You’ve had your share of words. He’s not around. He’s never going to be around. Drop it,” said Kirsten testily. Elisha crossed her arms and leaned back in her chair with a pout.

1:15 pm. Friday, July 11. Simon’s office. Shooting Stars Talent Agency.

Simon picked up his ringing telephone. “Yes?”

“Kirsten Dunst just arrived.”

“Thank you Ada, send her in.” He hung up the phone and stood from his desk as Kirsten entered his office. “Hello Kirsten.” He hugged her tightly. “How are you feeling?”

“You have no idea how tired I am of people asking me that,” said Kirsten. “But I’m fine.”

“Good. Let’s get down to business then. Please, have a seat.” Simon settled into his chair as Kirsten sat down.

“I’ve already talked to my publicist. They told me what you want to do with this.”

“And?” said Simon hopefully.

“It disgusts me.”

“Kirsten, this is more publici-”

“Forget publicity! You want to use the death of a human being to further your own career and buy a bigger Cadillac. I want no part of this.”

“That’s not true! I am truly sorry that that man is dead. I never planned to make light of that in the name of your career. I’m just trying to get some kind of good out of the awfulness that happened to you. I can’t ignore the possibilities that have resulted from his actions. Neither can you.”

“I bet I can. My career is fine, I don’t need this kind of hype.”

“Of course your career is fine. But I want it to be great! I want it to be huge! What happened in Chicago is the catalyst that’s going to do it.”

“You don’t care at all do you?”

Simon put his elbows on his desk. “You want me to care about the man who shot you? Who almost killed you?” Kirsten flinched slightly. “I have no sympathy for him. Only for you.”

“This isn’t about me.”

“Of course it’s about you! I admit, this can do great things for Shooting Stars but it’s not just about my career Kirsten. We’re talking Julia Roberts territory here, if we handle it right.”

“Julia Roberts?” said Kirsten.

“A-list, Kirsten, A-list. You will never be the first one on the red carpet again.” Her silence spurred him on. He reached inside a desk drawer and pulled out a package. “What I have here, are theperfect projects to take on that will cement your rightful position in Hollywood. You are now number one in line on all of them. But you won’t be forever.” He placed the scripts on the desk and slid them towards Kirsten.

She touched the package but did not pick it up. “What about the one I was working on in Chicago?”

Simon shrugged. “They want to finish it but they obviously need the other lead actor to do that. A third of the film was completed before the attack happened so re-shooting all of it is out the question.”

“So you haven’t heard from Mike either?”

“Not a peep. He’s going to be in serious legal trouble if he doesn’t come back soon though.”

“What do you mean?”

“The studio is paying him for services rendered. If they’re not rendered, they’re not paying.”

“Is there a deadline?”

“End of the month is what their lawyers told ours.” Kirsten stood up and turned around. “Wait Kirsten. You forgot these.” He held out the package with the scripts inside. She hesitated for a moment before she took the package and left his office. Simon smiled. He picked up his phone and dialed Jake. “She’s in. Turn’em loose.”

9:16 pm. Dunst household.

Friday nights were Friday nights, but Kirsten had holed herself up in her room. She was reclining on her bed and had just finished reading through the scripts Simon had given her. They could be great films and one of them was a near guaranteed Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actress. Maybe Simon was right about getting some kind of good out of the whole mess. The phone rang and Kirsten picked it up.

“Hello?”

“Hi, this is Katie Holmes, may I speak to Kirsten?”

Kirsten swung her legs over the side of the bed and sat up. “Speaking.”

“Oh. Hi.”

“Hello.” The memory of seeing her name on Michael’s cell phone rushed out from the back of her mind. Katie was the sole woman she knew Michael had been with that she had not spoken to since the breakup.

“First off, I heard about what happened and-“

“Everybody has.”

“Right, well, I’m not sure what to say, I’m glad you’re okay.”

“Okay.” Kirsten hoped Katie was getting more and more uncomfortable by the second.

“Um, I feel kind of weird asking you this, but uh, well let me explain. I’ve been trying to get in contact with Mike for the last few days. I was getting a little worried, we usually talk at least once a week.”

“Oh really,” said Kirsten sarcastically.

Katie scratched her head. “Yeah, really. Um, then I see his face on the news with everybody saying that he saved your life and-“