A Bets a Bet

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Would this affect her career?

The question seemed to sting, her mental being stomping on it as she realized that wasn't as important as she thought it should be. Making it to the elevator and clicking the main floor level, standing in silence as the doors closed and the elevator traveled down to the lobby. Doors opening and walking to the main door to exit the building as Ms. Tamaray walked at her side.

Once outside she felt the harsh rays of the sun against her face, squinting, she thought of the last time she exited work before evening. She felt odd being outside the office while there was daylight out still.

"Morso, just rest and stay out of trouble, ok?" Ms. Tamaray said.

Morso nodded, pursing her lips as she began to head for home.

"Here, take this, you should go visit the Sectzer Province."

Morso gave her a bewildered look, "Where is that?"

Ms. Tamaray looked up, as if she was reading some kind of imaginary map above them. "Think it's about five hours by car, only two and half if you take the train though. It's south and on the coast, it's very humid this time of year."

"Why would I want to go there?" Morso replied.

Ms. Tamaray shook her head, she reached out and took Morsos wrist. Pulling it towards her with the palm up, she slapped a piece of paper into it. "Maybe it'll help you clear your head."

Morso looked at her hand, holding it still as Ms. Tamaray let it go and turned to return to the building. She quickly raised her head and looked at her boss, "Wait, Tamaray-"

"I'm not allowed to talk about active investigations while I'm at work." She said over her shoulder as she returned to the building.

Morso watched her leave, turning down she looked at her hand once again, reading the short words on it as she held her breath.

Rodes Arbithy Jr.

1012 Pourthey Rd.

Halabath, Sectzer Province

......

'Reds my favorite color... it reminds me of home.'

Morso thought about the statement Rodes made, seeing her reflection in the large viewing window. The scenery outside flying by as the train she rode on cut through the rural landscape of the coast. The only thing she could focus on was her own eyes looking back at her.

Her red eyes full of disappointment.

"I'm such an idiot." She mumbled, as memories kept replaying in her mind. Thinking of the way he always looked at her, but then remembering how he stared when they first met.

Humans were kind creatures, but she seemed to frighten them easily. She thought that's all it was when she first met Rodes, seeing his eyes wide and his mouth open. It was easy to think it was shock, but now she wondered if it was something else.

She remembered his pursed lips and tense shoulders, their first conversation had been her doing most of the talking. She closed her eyes and rubbed them, feeling ashamed about how angry she had gotten at him. She ended up leaning over and scowling down at him as she kept repeating her question. His only response being stuttered 'uh's and 'um's.

She also remembered how rosy his cheeks had been as well, the way his eyes would turn up to her as his chin stayed down.

Her vibrant red eyes had gotten her a few curious looks from others in the office and on the street. But she never paid it much mind, thinking that humans must be able to tell that she wasn't like them. That she was a Futanari living amongst them.

'Red' she thought to herself, remembering how he could barely look at her in the copy room. Was he trying to tell her he liked red, that he liked her eyes?

'If he likes my eyes, why'd he have me wear a blindfold?' she pondered, then another thought filled her mind. The thought of seeing a man on his knees, no need to instruct or coerce, but his own self eager to please. She twisted her lip in disappointment, wishing she wasn't wearing that damned blindfold when he took her.

She felt like a fool as she slumped in the seat, wondering if she was in the wrong for traveling to him. 'Why didn't he just ask me?' she thought to herself, then remembering how she was always thinking of work over personal life.

The memory of his soft voice saying; 'You can still have a career while being in a relationship, don't you ever think about starting something?' The memory of his hopeful look watching her answer plagued her thoughts. In hindsight she could understand why he wore such a hurt look when she gave her response.

'In this work environment? Who has time for a relationship, if you want to hit manager before you're thirty, forget anything related to a personal life. You can tell the ones in the office who don't have the drive for success. Ron won't shut the fuck up about his kids and Daniel missed last quarters deadline because his mother had appendicitis.'

Morso groaned as she couldn't believe how inept she had been, she felt anger trying to rise up as she replayed every memory she had.

How was she supposed to react, the man had single handedly thrown her entire world upside down with just his mouth. Now she was on a train going two hours and twenty three minutes to the country side so she could be boiled alive in ocean humidity.

What was going to happen once she got there, knock on the door and see him answer. 'Hey, don't be freaked out but I want another blow job, is that cool?'

She rolled her eyes as she was so twisted up inside, biting the inside of her cheek as she glared at the seat in front of her. Knowing all of this wasn't for just another rut with his throat, but because she actually did feel something for him.

It was warm and endearing, that little thing inside her that made her say, 'I have to tell Rodes about this when I see him tomorrow.' Or how she would get up from her desk and walk to his, not a second thought or hesitation as she leaned in and asked, 'Have you started a new project yet?' The way the man could make her day a little brighter when he would lean on her little cubicle entry way and offer her lunch. Since he knew she forgot her own.

She was always able to tell when he was close to her, as if something in her brain clicked and told her he was there. She would turn around, not surprised in the slightest that his smiling face was there for her.

The train started to slow as the announcement came across, letting her know she was arriving at Halabath. Coming to a stop soon after, the train cars hissing as brakes and hydraulics settled from their harsh work of stopping the large transport. She stood and grabbed her bag, stepping to the closest exit and departing, the humidity hit her like a tsunami wave.

She paused and drug in a deep breath, looking around at the other passengers and people on the platform, none seemed to be affected. Swallowing the humid air she began to walk again, the sweat already forming on her back as she looked for the exit. Making it to the street out front of the train station and reaching into her bag.

She pulled out her phone and typed the address into her navigation app, furrowing her brow as she saw it was an hour long car ride.

'Fuck.'

She looked behind her, only seeing passengers walking to busses and families chatting amongst themselves. Turning around to face the other direction and not seeing any hope for a rental car company.

"Where in the rural fuck am I?" she said under her breath.

She walked to the road and found what could pass as a taxicab waiting by the curb, the older looking man leaning against it continued to read his paper.

"Excuse me, are you a taxi?" She asked.

The man furrowed his brow as he gave her a confused look, "No, I'm a man."

Morso stared at him in response, her brain refusing to act as she matched his gaze without speaking.

He cracked a smile and stood up, "I drive a taxicab, do you need a lift?"

Morso bit her lip, closing her eyes and feeling defeated, she hung her head as she collected her thoughts. "Yea, yea I need a ride." She said, "Pourthey road?"

The man nodded, "Oh, you wanting the old Arbithy home stead? Lotta visitors this week, made that trip a couple times now."

Morso perked up, "Yes! You know it?"

The man pursed his lips, nodding as he replied, "Yes, come to give your condolences?"

Morso furrowed her brow.

"For Rodes?" he said.

"Yes, you know Rodes?" Morso asked.

"Yes, but his funeral was earlier this past week."

"What!?" Morso screamed, her chest tightening as she felt her body beginning to shake.

The man sulked, "I'm sorry, did no one tell you? Uh- Rodes, passed away."

......

Morso stood in front of the Arbithy home, she felt tears in her eyes as she looked at the quaint shelter. Feeling warmth and love oozing from every brick of the front fascia that was visible to her. But what struck her the hardest, was the front door.

It was strong and appeared to be quite thick, safe for the family inside. Baring the cold and hatred of a harsh world that may enter and hurt them. Warmth and acceptance, a brass knocker in the center that would allow any visitor to gain the attention of the occupants inside. She couldn't bring herself to touch it, not yet. Instead, she stood frozen, tears running down her cheeks. The bright red color of the homes front door shining in the light of the afternoon sun.

"I'm sorry." She mumbled, her heart breaking as she looked at the entrance. Her world crumbling as she wondered what she was supposed to do? Not for now, but for life.

So short and fleeting, it could be gone in an instant, and what would she leave behind when she was buried? Would people flock to her grave, would they say 'How wonderful that she reached such a high status in her work! She commanded so much respect in her career!'

But how meaningless was that? Would loved ones be there when her time ended?

What loved ones?

Who would be at her grave, who would throw dirt across the lid of her own coffin? Would she even be granted such a luxury, or would the local government have to take care of her remains? No family to speak of to claim her carcass or what she left behind. Sending her corpse to be cremated and her ashes boxed up by someone who didn't even know her name.

Would she cause someone to pause, if only to think about how this poor woman has no family to speak of? Ashes left in a cardboard time capsule on the bottom of a book keepers shelf, unable to find where to send her.

Her attention was taken back to the door, slowly pulling open, the smell of coffee inside.

"Morso?"

She heard the voice, curious, but hesitant. Her eyes burning as she caught the hazel eyes looing back to her. "Rodes..."

Rodes opened the door, looking at Morso in astonishment, his mouth slightly open as he was too stunned to close it. "Uh- umm. What uh- what are you doing here?"

"Rodes, I was told you were dead!" Morso said, pushing open the door and wrapping her arms around him. Clutching him to her body as she let out a shaking chuckle, "The taxi driver, he said you were dead, he said your funeral-"

"Who's that, Junior?"

Morsos voice fell silent as she could now see inside, finding there were many more people sitting. All eyes on her as she held the man in her arms.

"Junior?" an older woman spoke.

Rodes pulled Morsos arms off him, turning slightly as he looked back, "This is my old coworker Mom."

Morso looked at the old woman, seeing her speak with a concerned smile, "Well dear, don't be rude, bring her inside."

"Mom, she-"

"Dear you look absolutely famished, whens the last time you ate?" The woman asked.

Rodes fell silent, biting his tongue and looking at Morso, waiting for her answer.

"Eat- uh, I guess..." she let the sentence taper off as she wasn't able to answer the womans question.

Rodes only nodded, "You always forget to eat when you're focused on work." He said in exasperation, "Come in."

Morso took a few steps into the home, looking back at Rodes with worry as the man reached outside. Picking up her bag and bringing it into the home before closing the door.

"Lets make you a plate, we had lunch a few hours ago, but we can heat up some leftovers." The woman said. Turning to another woman that was on the couch, "Sue, why don't you make her a plate, Junior dear, bring her over here so she can rest. She looks like she's about to fall out."

A younger woman smiled as she stood up, offering her seat to Morso as she stepped away. Morso nodded her head, catching the woman giving Rodes an eager smile as she left the room.

"Did you come all this way just to check on Junior?" the old woman asked.

"Uh- yes, I did."

"You did?" Rodes replied with a bit of shock, glaring at the others in the room that seemed to chuckle.

"Well Junior never told us he had such an enchanting friend, you're not from around these parts are you?"

Morso shook her head, "No, I'm not, I'm sorry to intrude."

"No no no, nothing to apologies about, Rodes would've wanted you here, rest his soul."

Morso furrowed her brow, looking at her Rodes, then back to the woman, "I'm sorry what?"

The lady only laughed, "Did he never tell you, Junior was named after his daddy, Rodes Arbithy senior."

Morso exhaled as she nodded, "Oh thank fuck-" she felt Rodes slap her arm and cut off her sentence. Looking at him she defended herself, "The taxi driver said you were dead!"

"That was my Dad, watch your mouth!" he hissed back, his face angered like a disciplining school teacher.

Morso sulked, seeing she hurt him from her careless behavior. She was beginning to realize she had probably done this several times.

Rodes's mother chuckled in response, "Oh my husband Rodes would've liked you." She said, her chuckle forming into a cough, leaning forward and shuddering as the wet sound echoed through the room.

"Mom!" Rodes said, going to her side and kneeling down, "Mom, take it easy, just rest. Let me get you some water."

......

The sky was a canvas of purple and orange, the sun sinking into the horizon as the humid breeze crossed the porch. Morso sat in silence as the porch swing softly rocked with the two of them in it, she swallowed and felt her throat was tight. Glancing to her side she could see Rodes looking at the sunset as well, his legs pulled up and crossed as he sat comfortably on an old blanket.

"Your homes really amazing." Morso said, trying to break the silence.

Rodes nodded, "I was very lucky to grow up here, I come back every year, but now..."

Morso heard him let the sentence fall short, glancing to him before she looked at the sky again, "...Now, you're going to stay?"

He paused, slowly inhaling through his nose before answering, "...Yes."

Morso chewed her lip, feeling her gut twist as she asked, "Why?"

"Why stay in the city?" he replied.

Morso snapped her head to him, feeling hurt that he would have such a cold response. She tried to think of a counterpoint, but she felt foolish as she tried to hide her emotions.

Rodes let his eyes fall to look at the ground in front of them, raised garden beds and trees dotting the landscape. He had always enjoyed the opportunity his family had to grow their own food, he remembered the way his father told him to plant the seeds. The pain of loss was still there as he felt his eyes water, blinking it away he strengthened himself.

"Moms not doing so good..."

Morso listened intently, she wasn't good at reading other people, but something told her he was hurting.

"Everyone else has families and lives. I decided to come back and stay, to help here."

"No, don't do that-"

Morso couldn't catch the words as they took to the air, she watched Rodes turn to look at her, pain in his eyes as he looked almost disgusted at the statement. She rushed to recover, "No- I mean- have you thought this through? You have a career, and you're really good at your job! You can pay someone to take care of her! Or don't they have old folks homes, like a senior-"

"You want me to come back?" Rodes said dryly.

Morso smiled, "Yes! Come back-"

"For work?"

She stumbled, her statement stopping in ruts of fear and uncertainty, "Uh- I mean-"

"Leave my family behind, to come back to work." He said, his face somber as he looked at her.

"Well- uh-...Rodes, I don't know-" she swallowed the end of her statement, realizing she was hurting him. His eyes disinterested in looking at her, they seemed glazed and far away, as if he had already left the conversation.

He uncrossed his legs and stood from the porch swing, looking at the land in front of him and then back to her. "Thank you for your concern and for coming all this way, but I'm sorry. I'm not going back to work." He said, stepping towards the door to enter the home, "You're welcome to stay here for the night, I can drive you back to the train station in the morning."

"Rodes-" she watched him enter the home, the door closing behind him and leaving her all alone. She looked at it, blinking several times and stitching her brow in confusion. Looking down and chewing her lip as she felt so disoriented inside.

What was she supposed to do? Feelings of failure washed over her, like she had tried to find the easiest path to get him to come back. But she hadn't said the true feelings that needed to be conveyed.

Morso put her head in her hands for a moment, feeling so foolish for not being able to line out her own feelings and sort through them.

She stood up and went to the door, opening it and going inside she looked around the kitchen for him. Morso hesitated as another man turned around, one of Rodes's siblings, he looked happy to see her.

"Hey, do you need something?"

"Um- Rodes- or Junior, do you know where he is?"

"Oh he took Mom her pills, he'll be back down in a bit."

Morso looked around for a moment, seeing stairs she looked back to the man, "Her rooms up there?"

The man furrowed his brow, "Yea, if you want you can go up, might catch him on the way back."

Morso nodded a thanks to him as she went to the stairs, carefully ascending them and looking at the walls. Adorned with pictures that scattered across the drywall surface, she could see a shelf with a few trophies on it. A vase with wild flowers, looking at the floor she could tell the effort to clean was apparent. But hair and dust bunnies still hid in the corners or clung to the trim lining the floorboards. Taking in a breath she could smell old perfume in the air, she watched a light flicker, looking at it she could see it was covered in dust and quite old.

'Moms not doing so good.'

She remembered Rodes's voice in her head as she saw the small clues, she wanted to kick herself as she remembered her response. Pursing her lips she continued, seeing a door cracked open she wondered if this was the room.

The quiet sobs inside made her stop in her tracks.

"I know it hurts, but you can't be mad at her Junior."

Morso felt her mouth become dry as her stomach knotted, holding her breath she took a shaky step forward. Trying with all of her might to be as quiet as possible.

"Being mad at her for not feeling the same way is unfair, and we all know life is unfair, son."

Rodes snorted as he wiped his nose with the back of his hand, feeling like a foolish child as he did so. "It just hurts, Mom." He closed his eyes, "I spent so long trying to get her attention- I tried so hard. But she never cared before."

Rodes hung his head in somber defeat, "I even tried to find someone else. I just-" he held back his tears as best he could. "I couldn't get her out of my head. And now she shows up here!? Only to say that?"

"What does that mean, Mom?"

There was a long pause, Juniors mother taking in a slow breath as she held her sons hand. "Junior, I'll be leaving soon."

"Mom-"

"Don't." She said, shutting him down as she looked him in the eye.

Rodes pursed his lips, listening to her.

"Now before I go, I need to know that you won't look back at this time-" she took in a deep breath as she looked up, trying to find the right words for him. "-and feel like there was more you could've done." She nodded to him as she saw him patiently listening. "No regrets, no wishing there was more you could've done, or wondering what if."