A King's Legacy Ch. 22

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Another two hours later, shortly after dusk had faded into the early night, Aster could barely keep his head up anymore. The table had started dispersing as the conversation dwindled and spirits were put at ease, leaving all who had remained awake after the battle ready for a bit of rest at last. When the orc chief left with a final pat on the back for the human, Aster was smiling like a fool, leaning forward on the table. Oust had paced himself, barely drinking three throughout the night, but finding his exhaustion catching up to himself at last. Even so, the tiger stayed beside the boy until only they were left. He finally spoke casually towards the human with a bit of a sigh.

"Come on... I'll walk you back." The larger cat stood, offering a hand down towards the drunken human. Aster had to close one eye to lock on to the hand, but was able to grasp it without too much trouble. The beast braced him a bit as he got his footing, feeling the world swirl around him. The human let out a light groan at the strange new feeling, and swayed a bit before steadying himself. He released the hand, took a single staggering step forward, and lost his balance, falling forward. The tiger caught him before he ever collided with the dirt.

Oust let out another long sigh, realizing how far gone the human clearly was. The cat helped steady the boy once more, released him, and walked in front of him, kneeling down with his back towards him. As the beast looked back, Aster realized the intention. The human blushed a bit beneath his alcohol flushed cheeks, but accepted the offer, climbing on to the tiger's muscular back once more. Aster wrapped his unsteady arms around the burly shoulders and neck, and leaned his head forward just a bit to rest in the nook of the tiger's neck, finding it eased his dizziness then just as it had before.

Aster could feel the beast's heart beating strongly, and smiled at the sensation. Oust stood, adjusted his grip to support the boy's legs, and started out the door, opting for a slower walking pace than normal, enjoying the moment more than he would admit. They walked on beneath the stars for a while in silence, both listening to the other's breathing. Finally, Aster spoke softly to the tiger through his rattled thoughts.

"That song you sang back there... It was really nice." Oust felt a touch of warmth within himself at the words, thinking fondly of the one who had taught it to him. He answered with his more gentle voice in turn.

"Thank you... It's called the Soldier's Lullaby... My mother used to sing it to me. She was a lot better at it than I am though." Aster smiled against the beast, finding that hard to believe. He thought Oust had a beautiful voice. Still, the boy answered in turn, enjoying talking to the tiger like this.

"I bet your mom is really pretty." Oust tensed up just the slightest before he replied.

"She was... My sister looks a lot like her. Though they certainly don't behave alike..." Aster nodded, not meaning to press on painful things, but caught up in the conversation.

"Your mom must have been really nice then, you had to get it from somewhere." Oust scoffed a laugh, answering objectively.

"I am not nice..." Aster's louder laugh pierced the air a bit, the boy nuzzling further into the defensive cat as he spoke after.

"Well... You've been a lot nicer to me lately... You don't have to admit it... But thank you, Oust." The beast didn't respond, leaving that conversation dead in the water. He did eventually open up elsewhere though, confessing something different to the human.

"I just stopped blaming you for beating me when we met.... Losing to a simple human? It made me feel like it only confirmed my worthlessness, and for it to happen right in front of my sister caused me a lot of trouble... But none of that was really your fault." Aster paused for a moment, giving his retort.

"Well, to be honest, I shouldn't have won that match. I only beat you because you didn't know about the shield. You cornered and overwhelmed me immediately, so you should've been mad about the loss..." The beast stopped walking, adjusting his grip on the boy and staring up at the night sky dazedly as he spoke.

"Well, if it helps... I'm glad I lost now. If I would've beaten you, you wouldn't have made it to the ceremony, and we would all probably be dead by now... It took me a long time to acknowledge your worth, because I couldn't ever even value mine... But you are a worthy warrior, Runt." Aster had a warm feeling of his own sweep through him at the confession. The boy chuckled again, and answered while the beast continued their walk.

"Thank you, Oust... That means more than you know... Will you do something for me though? Will you use my name again, like before?" The beast flashed the first true smile he had worn in a long time as he answered the boy.

"I just did, Runt." Aster scoffed, but smiled after, pressing his face a little more into the burly beast. Oust continued a short time after, asking what was on his mind.

"So... Your father was a human king then? Must be strange, knowing you were royalty." It was Aster's turn to flinch, replying a bit flatly.

"Yeah... But I don't like people knowing that... I don't think I have what it takes to be a king, so in a sense, I'm glad I am just Aster now..." The tiger nodded, understanding being complacent with the simple pleasures.

"Solis... It was a nice name." Aster reeled at the statement, pulling his head up and closing a single eye to stop the doubling vision, glaring at the tiger. Oust returned the look over his shoulder, and kept talking. "I heard the rabbit say it back there on the pillar... I didn't know what he meant by it then, but I get it now. Solis is your old name, right? Your human one? It was a strong name. You don't have to cut that past out entirely is all. You have more kingly qualities than you, or most others have realized is what I mean..."

The tiger trailed off, coming to stop just in front of the smaller building the boy was staying at with the wolf. They had arrived. He eased the runt down, guiding him carefully, and turning to face him after. Aster looked up into those stern, scarlet eyes, and saw the slightest touch of admiration shining beneath them in that moment. Before the human ever realized it, he was stepping forward, and learning up to kiss the beast once more. Two larger fingers pressed against the boy's lips delicately before they ever got too close, stopping his passage. Aster looked up a bit caught off guard, but the tiger was just smiling gently before he spoke in a very caring tone.

"Not like this... Not when you're like this..." The beast dropped his fingers, leaving the boy a bit embarrassed about his blatant, drunken attempt being brushed away. He was about to turn away from the beast in shame when Oust leaned in, tenderly placed a larger paw on either side of the human's head, and drew him in to plant his lips firmly on the boy's brow for a moment before pulling away. The beast released the human after, motioned towards the door of his room, and left the boy with only a final nod in departure, and two words, never glancing back after.

"Goodnight, Aster." Aster watched the tiger go for a moment, a truly stupid, drunken smile plastered over his face. The human king turned, opened the door, and returned to his quarters with a touch of warmth lingering on his already flushed face. Everyone had coped with the aftermath of that battle in their own way that night, readying them for what stood on tomorrow's horizon.

===

Many, many miles away, at the estate of a certain white tiger family, a visitor arrived in the throes of the night, cloaked and moving silently through the halls. Their padded paws took the most quiet steps across the courtyard, working carefully to go unnoticed by the lord of the house as they hugged the wall near his bedroom. The beast edged along a bit further, remaining unnoticed by all, or so he had thought.

The hooded hyena jumped back immediately in surprise as the burly, hulking form of Reiner Candori stepped right through the walls before him, phasing through completely in the nude as the moonlight lit up the pure, white fur of his massive frame, broken only by stark stripes of the blackest night along his back, and appendages. The beast was a true monster, standing at 7' 9" with the same starkly red eyes as Oust, but lacking any traces of such kindness within them, all while having half a foot height advantage over his disowned son. His physical strength had never been bested in weaponless combat, and the mighty form of the seasoned warrior only backed such a claim. The great general took three paces forward, mostly ignoring his visitor entirely as he stared up into the night sky, crossing his arms in annoyance before speaking in a threatening manner.

"What do you want, Logos? Of all times, now is not a wise one to be lurking about my home." The hyena chuckled a bit loudly, finally breaking his silence with the foreboding sound as he lowered his hood.

"Oh... Just thought I should share a few things with the future king... I'm certain you'd love to know-" The tiger cut the beast off quickly, pushing the point along.

"I'm well aware Talan Venatus is on the move with what's left of the Aschefells. I am not so without my own informers. You are wasting my time..." The hyena cackled again before he spoke, much to the annoyance of the tiger.

"Oh, this is true... And the Raxos line threatens to tear itself apart in the meantime... But anyone of any importance already knows this much... I have something even more interesting for you... For a price that is." The tiger only growled menacingly, losing patience by the second. He finally snarled back a retort.

"This better be worth my time, Logos. For your sake." The hyena's laughter rocked into the night air once more, delivering his damning rumor with delight.

===

I took a short break to rest after the big battle, so thanks for the patience. They depart the village next chapter, and we get a few more smaller scenes then. (and a good deal of backstory from them.) The next arc is fast approaching, and almost all of your questions will have answers when shit goes down.

That poem took way too much time haha. I'll be going on vacation the last week of April, so don't expect much update at that time. As always, I love hearing from y'all! Thanks for taking the time to send a review, drop a rating, or even a comment. Hope you enjoy what comes next. -Pup Bayou.