A Million to One

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Billie, I really believe what happened all those years ago was a fluke. I know you've learned from it. I don't think I have any trust issues with you. Please don't think that I'm going to be watching every move you make. Let's just keep being what we've been for the last two years, with the added benefit of what we did last night."

I got up out of the water and she stood with me. We hugged and held each other for a long time. Finally, I kissed her with as much tenderness and love that I could put into it.

She kissed back and then broke it.

"Let's go to my house. I've got some steaks marinating for dinner."

"Sounds good to me."

"Mark, we're going to be together forever now. I'm not screwing up again."

"I know baby. I can't wait to see what's next for us."

When we got to her house, I was sent to prepare the grill for the steaks. I loaded the lump coals in the chimney starter and as I was waiting for them to get ready. Markie walked out and joined me.

"Mr. Mark, I asked mom to pick this up for you. I used my own money for it and I wanted to say I'm sorry about trying to manipulate you with my mom. Nan let me know that she agreed that some of what I did were bad things with good intentions."

She handed me a cigar and said, "Are you and my mom going to be okay."

"Yeah, Markie. I think we will be."

She smiled and gave me a hug. "I love you, Mr. Mark. I can't wait to call you Dad!"

She started rushing back to the house when I shouted, "Wait!" She turned and had a worried look on her face.

I said, "Come back here."

She slowly walked over and I met her halfway and hugged her again. "I love you too, Markie. Stop running off before I get to tell you."

She got up on her toes, kissed my cheek, and bounded off again. As she went into the house, Jimmy was coming out.

"Mom said you needed these."

He handed me my new lighter and cigar cutter.

"Thanks, buddy," I said as he fist bumped me and ran back to his video game.

After dinner, Billie and I were watching TV when her cell rang.

"It's Mike," she said, then answered it.

"Are you nuts?" She shrieked. "They won't want to do that."

She listened to him for a bit then said, "I don't care how much child support you pay, visitation is solely up to me remember? You didn't want them for any time during the summer when we worked on the settlement."

She had a look on her face that could cut glass and said. "Fine. I guess I'll see you Saturday."

She hung up and screamed out, "Kids!"

I looked at her as she stood up and she had a fire in her eyes. "He wants to take them on vacation. He wants to take them camping for a week. He's coming Saturday to visit them and ask them."

"You're going to let them go?" I asked.

"I'll leave it up to them. They'll say no, I'm sure."

"What's up Ma?" Jimmy said bouncing down the stairs. Markie was right behind him.

"You're father called." She said as Markie rolled her eyes.

"He's coming Saturday to visit with you. I guess he's going to take you to the movies or something."

"What does he want?" Markie asked. I smiled and almost laughed at her perceptiveness.

"He wants to take you camping, along with your stepmom and brother."

"Do we have to?" Jimmy asked.

"It's up to you guys. Give him a chance to tell you about his plans and then decide.

"Whatever!" Markie said and went back to her room in a huff.

Jimmy was more open to it, but not by much.

For the rest of the night, Billie was quiet. She sat wrapped in my arm on the couch with her head nestled on my shoulder.

It was about time to go and I said, "Are you going to be alright?"

She sat up and pulled away from me.

"What's wrong, Billie? Talk to me."

"I'm sorry. I'm just a little upset that he wants to be in there lives now after two years, just as you come into it."

"Baby, I've been in your lives the whole time. My relationship with your kids won't be changing, I can assure you of that. I don't want their father cut out of their lives if he wants to be there though. He deserves the chance to be a dad if he wants to be."

"You're right. I just don't understand his motivation."

"I'm trying to figure out why he wants to take a baby camping."

We both laughed and I kissed her goodnight after rounding up my boys.

*********

Saturday morning, I opened up the blinds on my patio doors and saw Markie and Jimmy sitting on my deck. I opened up the door and said hello as Jimmy bolted past me to find Miles and Mark.

"What's up, Markie?" I said confused by their presence that early. "Where's your mom?"

"She was in the shower when we left."

"So you ran away to the first place that she'll look?"

"We didn't run away. We just don't want to see our father today."

"You don't have a choice about that kiddo," I said. My phone rang. I put it on speaker after seeing it was Billie.

"Hi, Billie. They came over here. I'm bringing them back now."

"Oh thank God! I was worried."

"See you in a bit."

"Mr. Mark, I don't want to see him. I want to hang out with you today. Can't you take us to a movie instead?"

"No, baby. He's your dad. He has the right to see you. Give it a chance. I know you're not real happy with him, but maybe he's trying to make up for not seeing you in the last couple of years."

She didn't respond, but I could read the angry look on her face.

"Come on, kiddo. Let's go home."

She followed behind me and said, "I wish this was home," almost too quiet for me to hear. I let it go, now wasn't the time to talk about my relationship with her mother.

We grabbed Jimmy and headed over to Billie's house. Of course, I wasn't lucky enough to avoid her ex. As we were walking up to the door, he pulled into the driveway. Billie held my arm and looked nervous.

"This ought to be fun," I said to Markie as her father and stepmother were walking up.

It was funny, his new wife could be Billie's sister. They looked very much alike. He looked like a smarmy jackass with his slicked-back hair and gaudy watch. I could even smell his douchebag cologne from ten feet away.

All of a sudden I was hit with a wave of anger. I was finally coming face to face with the asshole that may or may not have raped Billie. My emotions were not in control at that moment.

"Hey, guys!" He said loudly to his kids. "How've you been?"

"Fine." They answered in unison.

Billie looked at him with disdain and said, "Mike this is Mark. Mark this is my ex."

He stuck his hand out and I begrudgingly shook it. "Nice to meet you, Mark. How nice you have the same name as my daughter."

"Yeah, it's a funny coincidence isn't it?" I said as Markie giggled behind me.

"My middle name is James too. So, I share a name with both of your kids. Crazy huh?"

He looked uncomfortable until his wife spoke up. "Hi, I'm Ariana."

"I'm Mark. Nice to meet you," I said shaking her hand. "Ariana, such a pretty name. Just like the singer."

Mike and Billie were both uncomfortable with my obvious flirting, when Mike said, "So, how did you guys meet?"

I felt Billie squeeze my arm and she said, "We grew up together. We reconnected when I moved back."

"Aw! How cute," Ariana said.

I added, "Yeah, she was my girlfriend right up to the time you got her drunk and impregnated her."

Billie let go of my arm and was about to speak, as Mike took a slight step back and looked like he ate a rotten egg.

"Anyway, the kids are ready to go," Billie said as I was clearly breathing harder feeling the anger building even more. I wasn't a fighter, I had no idea where the anger was coming from.

Mike found his voice and said, "Hey look, what's done is done. I don't want any trouble. Kids how about you get in the truck."

I stepped forward and said, "We won't have any trouble." I looked down at Markie and Jimmy standing in front of me now and said, "Have a good time kids. it was nice to meet you, Ariana."

She smiled brightly and said, "You too, Mark."

I turned and walked into the house, leaving Billie standing on the porch waving goodbye to her kids.

After a minute, she came in and said, "What the hell was that all about?"

"I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me. I all of a sudden got so mad at him I wanted to hit him."

"And the flirting?" She asked.

"I don't know. I guess I was just trying to piss him off."

"Uh Huh. Your punishment is to take me to bed and eat me to three orgasms."

"That's no punishment, baby," I grinned. "Let's get started."

"Ahh!" She shrieked as I chased her up the stairs.

I texted Carina to look in on my boys and got down to my penance.

*********

I was sitting on my couch with Billie while we waited for her kids to get back. She had texted Markie and told her to let her know when they were close to home.

"If you're at my house when they come back will you cause a scene?" She asked me.

"No, I won't start anything."

"Okay. Will you have dinner with us tonight?"

"Sure. Do you want me to grill or order us some pizzas?"

"How about throwing some burgers and brats on."

"That works."

Markie sent a text that simply said, "Get ready for World War 3."

"Oh, Crap!" Billie said showing me her phone. "I'd better get home."

"Do you want me to come with?"

"No. It'll be fine. I'll text you when he's gone."

She kissed me goodbye and as soon as the front door closed I took my kids to Manny's.

"Hey, bud. There's a storm brewing at Billie's. Watch these guys for a little bit?"

"Yeah, man. If there's trouble, do you want me to come with?"

"No. I can handle that guy. Hopefully, they don't even notice I'm there. I'm just going to hang out in case she needs me."

I ran over and when I got there he was loudly talking with her on the front steps. I hid behind his truck to watch and I was able to hear the loudest parts.

He was basically bitching her out for turning the kids against him and allowing me to act like I was their father. She was having none of it and was putting him in his place. He finally stormed off in a huff and when he saw me walk around his truck, he came at me.

"You asshole! Do you think you can take my kids? Screw you. I'll always be their father. You're just the dumb ass that let his girl get taken by a better man."

I let him go on and before I could speak, Ariana opened her door and said, "Mike let's go. He's not worth it."

"Yeah Mike, listen to your Billie clone. At least you found a replacement that looked just like her, but might actually like you."

I saw the rage in his eyes as he telegraphed his punch. I moved as quickly as I could and he hit the truck with most of his power after a glancing shot across my chin.

I laughed as he dropped to a knee and screamed in pain holding his hand. I certainly felt it but was no worse for the wear.

"The hospital is two miles south, Ariana. Good luck," I said as I walked over to Billie and the kids who were watching from the steps.

"Are you okay," Billie asked as she held my chin, inspecting.

"Yeah," I said watching Ariana drive them away.

"Mr. Mike, that was awesome," Jimmy said.

"I told you he was a jerk, Mom," Markie said. "Mr. Mike, he asked all kinds of questions about you today. He hardly talked about us at all. Even Ariana was getting upset with him over it. When we said no to going camping, he got mad. He said that he was our father and not you. He could take you camping if he wanted to. He got really mad when I told him if he wanted to be our father, he should act like it. That's when he started swearing at me and calling me ungrateful."

I have to admit that I wasn't shocked he acted like that to them. He just looked like a jerk.

Markie continued, "Camping was Ariana's idea. She told me that she wanted to get to know us. She said that camping was going to be for a weekend and she used to do it with her parents. The baby was going to stay with Ariana's mom."

"Figures," Billie said. "If not for her, you wouldn't get gifts, I'd bet."

"Well, at least the ordeal is over and the only one that got hurt was Mike," I said. "Although, Markie, you should be more respectful to your father. He may be an ass, but he's the only father you've got."

"No," she shouted. "He may be my father, but I have an even better dad who just needs to get his head out of his butt and admit it to himself and make it official."

"Markie, I'd love nothing more, but we aren't quite there yet."

"I understand. You just know that I'm waiting impatiently." She smiled a megawatt smile and hugged me.

"Well, that's settled sort of. After all of that excitement, how about we just have pizza tonight?"

They all agreed and I texted Manny to send my kids over.

**********

"Mr. Mark, can we go swimming?" Jimmy asked after dinner.

"Okay, how about packing a bag and you can all sleepover at my house tonight?"

After a chorus of yay's, the kids ran to their rooms with Miles and Mark Jr. in tow.

"Does that invitation extend to me too, Mr. Mark?" Billie asked seductively.

"Oh yeah, baby. You need to pack your orgasm pillow though. Every time you put it over your mouth, you cum. It's good luck."

She slapped my shoulder and laughed, "That's all you big guy. There's one more trick in my arsenal that I haven't brought out for you yet. I think you've earned it today."

"Oh yeah?" I asked as I pulled her hips into mine and wrapped my hands around her waist. "What's that?"

"That, lover, is a surprise. Let's just say that you're going to really like it, and it's only for special treats."

She kissed me and squeezed my butt. Then she pushed me back and said, "I'd better go pack my bag. We're going to need some extra accessories to prepare me for your treat."

She skipped off and up to her room. As I watched her bounce away, I thought I was the luckiest man on the planet at that point. She has a great ass.

*********

Time rolled on and we grew as a couple. Once school started we didn't do any weeknight sleepovers, but they pretty much lived at my house on weekends. My boys shared a bedroom and I had a 3rd bedroom that was a playroom for them, so I didn't have a guest bed. When they stayed over, the boys camped out in the basement and Markie used one of their beds or slept in the basement with them.

I realized if we ever moved in together, it would have to be a new house. Markie would be going to high school in the next school year and the boys were moving up to middle school, which wasn't a problem, but I figured we'd have to stay in a neighborhood for convenience and the good school district.

There weren't many 4 bedroom houses and definitely no 5 bedroom houses, so at that time it was pretty slim pickings. I discussed it with my dad at Thanksgiving while the girls were helping cook.

"Mark, just get rid of the pool and build an addition. You could put in a den and extend the kitchen, and build two more bedrooms on the second level. That's way cheaper than buying a new house and moving out of the subdivision."

"I never thought of that, Dad. If I'm going to do that, I have the room to move the pool back 30 feet. I'd still have plenty of room before the property line."

"There ya go. I'd say it's settled. When are you going to tell Billie?"

"I don't know. I swear every day that goes by, she gets more disappointed I haven't asked her to marry me. I don't want to move us all in together until I work up the nerve to do that."

"That's smart, but you guys are clearly meant for each other. You've been together for your whole lives, except when you took a break to have kids with other people."

He laughed at himself and patted me on the shoulder as he walked off to get a beer.

He was right. Things were fine and there was no reason I should wait much longer. I decided then to start ring shopping.

*********

Part of my plan was to try to adopt Markie and Jimmy while having Billie adopt Miles and Mark. I didn't think it would be a problem for her to do that, but I'd be throwing a ton of money in child support away. I decided to leave it up to her. She'd lose child support if I adopted her kids too. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea? Things got complicated quickly, best-laid plans and all that.

I had decided to propose on Christmas. I know it is a cliche, but I didn't want to do it on a boring Tuesday night. I thought she would like it to be special. I picked out the perfect ring, then picked up the final plans for the house and headed to the Steele house.

They welcomed me in and sat me in the kitchen for a cup of coffee. We chatted a while and I finally got the nerve up to ask, "Mr. Steele, will you give me your blessing to marry your daughter?" I slid the ring over to her mother as I asked.

"Jesus, Son. Of course," he said standing.

"Oh, Mark! It's beautiful," she said looking at the ring.

They both hugged me. Mrs. Steele hung on for a moment longer than normal and said, "I've been hoping for this for so long. I can't believe it's finally happening."

"Yes, Ma'am. If you can keep the secret for a couple of weeks, I'm going to pop the question on Christmas morning."

"Of course. Good luck."

*********

Billie and her family spent the night at my house on Christmas Eve after I hosted the party. On Christmas Day, we would be going to my parents' house for dinner. Billie didn't know that. It was going to be an engagement celebration for just our two families.

When I woke on Christmas morning, I let Billie sleep in. I could hear the boys playing in the basement and Markie still slept, so I made some coffee and prepared myself for the proposal.

I was still thinking about what to say when Markie came into the family room and sat down. I hadn't heard her come in and she startled me when she spoke.

"Merry Christmas, Mr. Mark."

I snapped my head over and smiled. "Good morning, sweetie. Markie, don't you think you can drop the mister after all of this time? You can call me Mark."

"Nuh-uh. I'll call you Mr. Mark until you claim a new title."

I smiled and said, "Can I show you something without getting loud and waking your mom?"

She walked over and said, "I'll try, but no promises."

"Good enough." She knelt down beside me and I pulled the ring out of my robe placket.

Her tears were falling before I could even open the box. She jumped into my arms and sobbed into my shoulder.

She said, "Is it wrong to be happy for me? Should I just be happy for Mom?"

I pulled her chin up and looked deeply into her tear-soaked eyes, "No baby, this is isn't just for your mom. This is for all of you. For Jimmy, Miles, and Mark too. This gift doesn't just get given to your mom when I ask her to marry me. It's just worn by her. It's a gift given to all of us, merely symbolized by the ring. The real gift is us becoming a family."

She hugged me tightly around the neck again. "When are you asking her?"

"I think he already did."

Markie and I both whipped around to see Billie standing behind us crying.

Billie jumped up and ran to her.

"Mom, I'm so sorry I ruined it."

"No, baby. It couldn't have been any more perfect," Billie said she hugged her.

"I'll be right back," I said to two stunned ladies who were expecting me to slip a ring on a finger.

I shouted down into the basement to the boys to come upstairs. Miles asked, "Is it showtime?"

"It's showtime."

My boys took off their robes leaving them in plaid flannel pajamas matching what I had on under my robe.

We walked back into the family room and I knelt down in front of the Christmas tree facing Billie. The boys each grabbed one of her hands, like we rehearsed, and brought her to me. As I said, "Billie, will you marry me and make our family whole?" the boys were kneeling down next to her, and Mark lifted her left hand for me.

I think there was a yes somewhere in the middle of the squeals, crying and screaming.