All Comments on 'A Summer By The Lake'

by qhml1

Sort by:
  • 626 Comments (Page 3)
AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
this can seriously be a made for tV movie

Excellent work! I could totally see this being a movie. So descriptive.

Chief3BlanketChief3Blanketabout 8 years ago
Wow

An excellent romantic tale.

Kitist02Kitist02about 8 years ago
4:00 AM

That's when I finished reading this delightful love story. (Don't tell my spouse I enjoyed a love story, please. She'll think I'm ready to turn in my misogynist badge.) It was well worth the loss of sleep. (I wouldn't have been able to sleep anyway, I was too wrapped up in it to even try to sleep.)

I haven't managed to read all of qhml1's work, but I'm working on it. I've read quite a few and haven't been disappointed yet, which is rare for me 'cause I'm picky as all get out in what I read.

I don't know what story the negative Anonny's read, but I hope they get a life and learn to appreciate good work.

Kitist02Kitist02about 8 years ago
Again

I read it again and was just as fascinated as I was the first time. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Heartfelt

I can't believe you consider this a slow burn. Great character development and a very touching story. Any chance for another chapter?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Outstanding!

Your literary style has bloomed! This story is very well told with all major characters well defined without over doing them. Very heartwarming. More like it would be excellent! Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
I Was In Love

This was the best story I have ever read. It has great characters, humor, depth, you tell a story so well. I could not stop reading it.I really hope I see more of your work. Keep up the great writing!!!

foolscapfoolscapalmost 8 years ago
BEWARE the Facebook profile at dearbornmt@yah** Unless you want to give up personal info to a potential phishing scam or become an unwitting part of some potential psych study or potential blackmail scheme. 

Please don't put yourself at risk.


Practice safe internet perversion

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
You did it again

thanks ... Scotty

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Liked the beginning...

I liked the beginning of the story with bitchy Sarah but then the story went down hill from there. I felt like Sarah's character wasn't developed. She went from bitchy to love struck with nothing in between. The hero just threw money at every problem and some knightly lawyers saved the day. Another commenter said that he made Jesus look bad.... which is pretty much true. He had no flaws and a platinum credit card. A guy like that would go bankrupt in the real world. People will see that I'm just an anonymous commenter and disregard what im saying. I've been reading on this site for 6 years and have finished all the top 200 stories in the romance scify and nonhuman categories. I know what i'm talking about and this story should have been placed in the scyfi section cause it felt like I was reading an episode of the twilight zone. Thank you for writing this story and giving it your best effort but I couldn't get past page 6. I'm not writing this to dump on u but to give you some advice. make sure you develop all your characters and give them flaws so we human's can relate to them. Not everything in life works out the way we want it to, platinum credit cards can't win every battle. The hero didn't lose a single fight. This story started off realistic then branched off into fantasy.

dyonysosdyonysosalmost 8 years ago
@ Anonymous 06/14/16

I hardly dare to comment on your observation,after all you surely are a very experimented reader in the categories you mentioned

However most,if not all,of your comment seem very hautain and condescending,"A summer on the lake" maybe a little optimistic but what's wrong with that ?

A platinum card can resolve allmost every problem,hell you can buy some governements with it

Tell me my very literated friend what battle he should or could have lost ? the divorce ? was allready taken care of,there was no way sarah could have lost the guardianship of her daughter

If you had read the story you would have able to see there was a transition from bitchy sarah to the loving sarah but since you only read untill chapter six how could you have known ?

qhml1 is one of the best writers on literotica and you wanting to give him advise feels a "little" misplaced,did i mention that this ,more elaborated,story is published and for sale on AMAZON.COM ?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Wow!

This is a brilliant story... Where can I find more? 😀

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Couldn't get past page 2

You seem to be a very reputable author on this site. But this is your third consecutive story that I've had to abandon midway.

My issue in this one was with your over-domineering protagonist and the way others just seem to fall in line with his rudeness. I assume it's you projecting on your character and that just doesn't seem to work when you write it from a first-person's perspective.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
@ Anonymous 6/20/16

Why don't you write your own story if you think this is such a bad one? That way you see how it feels to have to deal with the other idiots on this site who, just like you, seem to think they know everything and so openly display their own dumbass stupidity...jerkoff!

PygmyCohoPygmyCohoalmost 8 years ago
Keep reading

Liked the story very much. I did not see the protagonist as overbearing; rather, self-assured and uncompromising, perhaps a little coarse. I thought it was a necessary trait because of the way his relationship with Sarah progressed. I also thought his interaction with B.B. allowed us to see another side of the character that I found interesting.

If any character does not have some layers and flaws (even dubious flaws to be judged by the readers), then he or she becomes two-dimensional. And if a character does not have room for growth, change or evolution then that character becomes boring.

If someone gave up on this story after a page or two, so much good story-telling was ignored. That is a shame, merits review and, perhaps, a second chance.

Thanks,

PygmyCoho

Weinchester1Weinchester1almost 8 years ago

Awesome story man love how things went

ReedRichardsReedRichardsalmost 8 years ago
I gave it a *5*

There were times when I thought that the moral of the story was, "He who has the gold, makes the rules!" Nevertheless, it was a fun read, and I assume that was your intention all along.

EXursusRhereEXursusRherealmost 8 years ago
Hey! Anony @ 06/14/16

Know what you're talking about? Shit, you wouldn't know your ass from a hole in the ground. You're reminding me of a Billy Goat, you've a hard head and stinking ass.

Way to go Q. Some people are just too ignorant to follow along with a good story. Ignore the anonys, don't have the balls to identify themselves, they don't deserve to read your works.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Enjoyed it very much

Good job. Characters well defined and plenty of events to keep our attention.

Constructive ideas: during the last part of your book I could tell you writing & thinking of your characters conversation as you wrote. You forgot about your readers & often I would have to reread a sentence or paragraph again to determine who was saying what. The usual misspelled or incorrect words broke up sentences but I just overlooked them. Thanks, enjoyed your story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Hooked in the first page

If you ever write a full book I'm buying it the first day. I have read this story twice in the last month. It's such a good read with a great flow. I would love to read more!

dyonysosdyonysosalmost 8 years ago
@Anonymous

The book "A summer by the lake" is for sale on Amazon.com ;)

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xalmost 8 years ago
Reading Yet Again!

So much of the new stuff is such crap!

"There's just not enough of us to have two churches." - I don't like what I THINK is the point of this statement. Is he saying that if there were enough people that there would be separate black and white churches?!

"A friend came over and asked her for a dance. She looked at me." - While it's good that she looked to him for his okay, gentlemen ask a lady's escort for his permission BEFORE asking the lady to dance.

"Your honor! Income is not enough reason to keep a man from his child." - No one is "keeping" him from his child. He's made NO attempt to see her since they moved to the lake.

Answering my own question, maybe B.B. promised to send a wedding invitation?

Another nit pick - he promised the judge an "advanced copy". It's "advance copy".

Still another nit pick - A furred strip isn't exactly "going native"!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Well done!

Excellent story. Very well written. A very touching and very well developed love story.

LeFrog08LeFrog08over 7 years ago
Second read is just as good.

I really enjoyed reading this again.

qhml1, thank you for all these tales.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
lovely story

well written, loved it, read four times over, shared it it 5 more times, would be amazing if you wrote more stories similar to this.

TheOldRomanticTheOldRomanticover 7 years ago
Lovely!

I was kidnaped with this story. Is one of my preferred stories in Literotica.

I can`t find a words to express how munch I was surprised with all the tale.

Please, write more stories like this!

Great Job!

Oldfart72Oldfart72over 7 years ago
Nicely done

Great story. Not too long and not too short. Nice plot

arrowglassarrowglassover 7 years ago
Definitely a good read!

Have become a fan!

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 7 years ago
@Anonymous 12/22/15 Re: "Purchased the published novel"

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I have been re-reading because there's so much crap lately, and I like to look at comments to see what I've said before and saw your comment about this being published, and went on Amazon to get it.

Now I can read a quality at least semi-new story!

TrishieldTrishieldover 7 years ago
Book into a movie

You know I sometimes don't rate stories, no reason in particular. I will say I am still astonished by the quality of writing here.

My only wish was that some of these stories could actually be made into movies, they are that good.

flarebel2327flarebel2327over 7 years ago
you never know

when I get down a little bit after losing my wife a few years a go I come back & read this story. it always gives me a lift. if I could would give it 9 stars + . 1 of my favorites to read again.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
You make me work

looking up the historical references so it takes me hours just to reread this story.

Well done, thank you.

JJMemaw0623JJMemaw0623over 7 years ago
You've done it again!

You've done it again!! I love it, keep writing!

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Wow

Wow just wow

Truly outstanding work.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Best story i have read on LLiterocia yet

WOW IS RIGHT

I could not put my cellphone down till i read all of a remakable story

Thank you

ScorpioJJScorpioJJover 7 years ago
Excellent story

I enjoyed this and hate to make a negative comment (eminent domain not imminent) sorry but Harry is a writer so this should accurate. Otherwise, this is a very touching story 5*!

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 7 years ago
Re: Idiots

To the moron who sent me feedback chewing me out for my "shitty" comments here, what the fuck are you talking about?

My comments, outside of a few nitpicks, are positive!

I even said that I bought the book version!

Where are you getting the drugs you must be on?

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago

Amazing! Please keep writing.. ☺

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Well done.

Nicely written, well thought out, a very good read! Please do more of the same!

Horseman68Horseman68over 7 years ago
Exceptional Story....

..... that had me hooked from the beginning to the very end. 🏆

KingCuddleKingCuddleover 7 years ago
What a wonderful fantasy!

Never touched the ground of reality, but I LOVED it! Several Happy Tears!

With a readership here almost of entirely of writers?

We all got to live out our Happy Endings...in all ways!

Bravo! Thanks!

ukdukeukdukeabout 7 years ago
Not enough stars!

Not enough stars to show how good this story is.

It should be published for a wider audience!

Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
tears

there were a lot tears while reading this story, where can I buy the books he wrote at the lake???

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
awesome

kept me glued it is fantastic

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
a gentle tale

a tale of love, told with with consummate skill and gentleness. I am reading this for the umpteenth time in the middle of the night, knowing it will send me back to sleep in a happy mood; thank you.

oldpoet451oldpoet451about 7 years ago
What can I say.

Every time I come back to your work and read another story I'm amazed. 10+

TalonsreachTalonsreachabout 7 years ago
Like a good cognac

Believable characters. Great pictures painted in the mind. Decent dialogue. At times the emotions run high and then low and back high. Fantastic circle back to the beginning. A very good story. Thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Fantastic

They both had a lot to overcome but they did. B B was the shining star in this story although all three just jumped off the pages at you and the supporting cast was great. In my favorites numerous times to read it. It all seemed so factual.

Ron/cowboyridecc@yahoo.com

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
A love story.

I don't know if this was actually made into a movie or not but it should be! A truly great love story. First he fell in love with the daughter then the mother. A neat twist! You have a real talent never stop writing. You have made your characters come to life. I feel like I want to meet them. Thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Wonderful !!!!!

Very very nice. How can you beat a story that leaves you feeling better than when you started. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
A Great Story

Very moving and very enjoyable. As pretty much all your stories are. This is definitely a 5 Star + story. And thank you very much for it, Q.

OverJackOverJackalmost 7 years ago
A Study in Character

So glad you told this story the way you did. The story built upon the Character of your characters and was done in a very entertaining but real way. Really enjoyed it and look forward to reading more.

Buddy1945Buddy1945over 6 years ago
Very. Good. Story

It seems so real to life. Two broken people meet and finally fall in love with a lot of help from her daughter. B. B just stood out in the writing of this story. In my favorites have read it numerous times. Top Shelf as stories go. I did research it but could not find a movie. So Sue me I was curious.

Ron

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
What can I say

To say it is an excellent story would be a lie, because it was so much better than anything that words can describe. Thank you for sharing.

penneydog55penneydog55over 6 years ago
A BEAUTIFUL STORY THATS WELL WRITTEN

Top shelf story! It's like Chocolate! Loved by all

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Loved it!

Couldn't put it down. It would make a beautiful movie.

LeFrog08LeFrog08over 6 years ago
This is my second read.

And it was even better than the first.

One of my favorites of all LIT.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Editor needed.

It would improve the often disjointed writing, remove unnecessary "filler", remove misplaces commas, fix typos, and repair the ever present malapropism "imminent domain". Since "imminent" and "eminent" are both words (with totally different meanings) spellcheck wouldn't notice but a reasonably literate editor would - "eminent domain" is, after all not an uncommon phrase. Still, the story was a reasonably enjoyable pulp fiction read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Love it

This is a amazing story to say the least and I love how you made the characters have such good development thank you for making this story

BruceWoBruceWoover 6 years ago
Wonderful, wonderful , wonderful

You should be proud of your story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago

Great reading one of favorites. Will read all his stories.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Run and find out

According to The Jungle Book "The motto of all the mongoose family is RUN and find out". Don't know how I missed reading this one before.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Good

A very good read.

Scone134Scone134over 6 years ago
THANK YOU!!

Beautiful story and so well written! TY

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
perspectively writing

Story should have ended with the ''Get with the times, Dad...'' sentence.

The rest was superfluous and over the top

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
well done

Thank you, it's just before Christmas and it gave me a few laughs and tears and helped me out of a bad place.

PGUK

UndrApprctdUndrApprctdover 6 years ago
Well done

The narrative style reminded me of watching "The Waltons" as a child; loved that show.

KingCuddleKingCuddleover 6 years ago
By my count?

Another Happy Ending every 3/4ths of a page.

This is a repeat reading for me. Still makes me feel warm all over.

Thanks for sharing this loving story!

teedeedubteedeedubover 6 years ago
Yeah

I had to re-read this one myself. What a great story. Thanks again for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Very nice story 5 stars

One wanted to turn the lake into a resort the other made it into a kids resort. So which idea is better? Why is one better than the other? Neither if you please. Leave the lake the fuck alone. There are places better suited for both without destroying serenity...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Wording.

Eminent domain.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Great for a 4th or 5th reading!

One of my many favorites! Keep it up!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Wow

Great again on the 2nd read. It's been awhile but I loved it even more. I REALLY like feeling good and NOT being pissed off at the end of the story. Thank you again. You are a wonderful author.

jrphdojrphdoabout 6 years ago
loved. it

Fantastic story, really one of your best!

TalonsreachTalonsreachabout 6 years ago
Once again

The first time I read this was years ago. Having stumbled across and liking another of qhml1's work I was then determined to read more of them which eventually led me to this one. I was rereading a couple of his stories the other day and looking at his list. The title to this one didn't ring a bell so, thinking maybe it was something newer, started to read this. Of course, the classic opening scene with the woman urinating and then getting tossed into the lake instantly let me know I had not only read it before but, like before, was captivated again by a really good story. I don't see this one pop up on recommended readings by the site and it doesn't get much fanfare in other parts of this genre but it really is one of the classics

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
one of the

one of the best if not the best i have read all over the net.. you...have a gift..don,t stop

MackBobMackBobabout 6 years ago
Great story!

Very well written, and very entertaining! I found myself laughing and crying throughout! I kept thinking that this is how a great story unfolds! Marvelous! More, please!

WoodbgoodWoodbgoodabout 6 years ago
Great story and suitable for everyone.

Every time I find a new favorite author I just celebrate. This story reminds me of watching the old black and white movies and saying, “They sure don’t make them like that any longer”. I hope you keep writing till your fingers won’t allow you to write any longer then you dictate your writing. I will recommend this story to everyone I know. Please keep them coming. Your editors are top notch.

Woodbgood

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Love the story

Loved the story don’t read many books or story’s loved it

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Wonderful Story

Far different fare than I've come to expect in this venue. Needs some editing work, but the storyline outweighs that. Thanks for this fine, romantic tale.

slickwilliecigrslickwilliecigralmost 6 years ago
Wonderful story!

Keep up the good work! I very much appreciate your work.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Maths

Enjoyed the story ,but the author needs to work on his maths. He bought two of five lakeside properties when went to live there,bought Sarah dad's property next,i.e three,but when the property developer shows interest,Sarah's dad states there are only two property owners,H.H and Jim what happened to the missing property.?

jesemmojesemmoalmost 6 years ago
Thanks

Was getting ready for bed, but decided to read on of your stories before going to sleep. As I opened the story I checked how many pages the story contained. When it appear to be eight pages I almost decided not to get started, but decided to read a couple of pages. It's now nearly 1am and need to get up at six. Thanks a lot. If you're ears are burning today know I'm cussing for lack of sleep.

It was worth every minute. It's one of best stories I've read and will probably reread it again. Thanks.

DoNotPassGoDoNotPassGoalmost 6 years ago

Good story, but needs editing in spelling and continuity.

cybojicybojialmost 6 years ago
Reread for 3rd time

A great story, thank you!

TarlosoTarlosoover 5 years ago
Great read

It's as enjoyable each time I reread it. Well done

TailakaTailakaover 5 years ago
Another reread

I tried to just read the first couple pages and end up rereading the whole thing. Great story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Wow!

Amazing story as usual from Q.

Thank you for sharing for free here on Lit.

C

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

Great story. Good enough for several retreads. I just had one issue. It's 'eminent' domain not imminent. Now pardon me while I get back reading thru your list of stories.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
thanks

I just said it " thank you "

gentleman_princegentleman_princeover 5 years ago
Jewish comment

I'm Jewish and live in a small Midwestern town in which I'm the only Jew. Although I loved this story, I kept putting myself into it and realized that I wouldn't fit. I don't go to church, celebrate Christmas or Easter, and keep kosher to the extent of not eating pork or shellfish; I also don't mix meat & dairy at a meal. I'd love to see a story in which the hero, Jewish, and the heroine, Christian, fell in love and the difficulties her friends and family have accepting him into their lives.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Great Love Story first with BB and then Sarah

I have read this several times and really enjoy the story! Keep writing more stories.

BR Cajun Guy

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
WOW

Great again. Thank you so much

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
spelling

love the story. I just wish you had an editor who could spell . ' closet ' city should be closest and I have to disagree with with one of your readers, eminent means superior or prominent, imminent means close to, which I assume is the legal term. Still I continue to reread these stories so they can't be too bad. Perhaps I should point out that I am English and reading in the UK.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Im just a dude, with thanks to give

I genuinely love this story. I'v re-read it a couple times now, and it touches my heart every time. This story gets to my heart when most things can't, so thank you for this work of art.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
The judge

So... what did BB send the judge??

LwcbyLwcbyover 5 years ago
The judge

I'm guessing a wedding picture. Am I right?

WilCox49WilCox49over 5 years ago
great story!

Thanks for writing it. (A romance in which they sleep in separate rooms and separate houses for three quarters of the story? With the attention being given to their developing affection and relationship? What a strange and novel idea!)

You do need to find a way to control spelling, grammar, typos, and word choice. It's "eminent domain", just for example. Very distracting.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
WOW... A lovely plot. I love it sooooooooooo much

I loved the fact that you added a touch of the warmth of service to God. I loved the church scenes. Lovely. I feel lifted. I am just like Sarah and wish for good man even better than Harry. Lol.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userqhml1@qhml1
8992 Followers
Can you believe that soon I will have been writing here for ten years? I never imagined I'd last that long. I figured I would run out of story ideas long before now. Instead I've filed over a hundred story ideas yet to be written. I'm retiring in a few weeks. I'm going to us...

story TAGS

SIMILAR Stories