All Comments on 'A Summer By The Lake'

by qhml1

Sort by:
  • 626 Comments (Page 6)
AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Third reading and my comments of 3 months ago still stand firm. Thx

5*

BJ

OU8ME2ICOU8ME2ICover 1 year ago

What a great love story. I really enjoy reading a well written story. Thank you for the time and effort you put in to writing it.

NitpicNitpicover 1 year ago
Very

A very good story despite the flaws,eg BB ringing her gran every week,when they didn't have a phone at first.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Lovely and substantive

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

We are so touched and sooooo misty❤️

What a beautiful story that warmed our hearts and reminded us of true love deep in our souls!

What can be and should be and came to be!

Please!

More!

Thank you!

Cracker270Cracker270over 1 year ago

Awesome story. Well written. Can’t say enough good about it. Oh second time so I can’t vote again

russ603russ603over 1 year ago

Great story - I especially enjoyed the development of the relationship between Sarah and Harry. B.B. was the key to the relationship actually developing. Thanks for this story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

A nit - bottom of page 1 when Harry says there was a woodsprite on his deck he remarks about her green eyes. On page 2 in the diner he says he hadn't noticed before but BB had green eyes.

Tarloso2Tarloso2over 1 year ago

I enjoy this story every time I re-read it.Great little story

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

What a great story.

Thank you...

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Loved it

oldtwitoldtwitover 1 year ago

Yep nice story up to your usual standard

belseravibelseraviover 1 year ago

Every time I read this story, I give it 1 star so I can turn around and give it 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

This is my favorite Q story if for no other reason than it was my first of his stories. Loving this led me to all the other great Q stories. Thank you!

somewhere east of Omaha

SatyrDickSatyrDickover 1 year ago

[10.12.22]

An ION TV worthy story!

Love this exchange:

"Do you like chocolate?"

"Does Justin Beiber use hair products? Chocolate is my favorite."

Also, per the Mayo Clinic, you do NOT have to wait 30 minutes after eating to go swimming, it's an old Wives Tale...you MIGHT get a cramp, but then again you might not.

AngelRiderAngelRiderover 1 year ago

"You know what I want, Mel. Large veggie, mushrooms, red onions, red bell peppers, basil and tomatoes, light on the sauce. Heavy on the garlic. Extra cheese."

She gave me a disapproving look. In her world there was something wrong with a man who didn't subsist on meat. I wasn't a vegetarian, this was just the type of pizza I liked."

I agree 100% quite frankly the story should have ended there. No decent woman would ever date let alone marry someone who has zero clue how to eat pizza.

The absolutism. The definitive writing, suggesting that the main character is somehow better than others because he has shitty taste. It rankles. I was cheering for him but now I think the mother is right. He is a gross.

AngelRiderAngelRiderover 1 year ago

Clearly written by a man who thinks that women require men to correct their behavior.

Here is the thing. This dude writes the same type of characters in every story. No variation. He absolutely believes men are better than women when it comes to relationships. I find it offensive and it's clear this dude is a boomer.

He is good at writing a story that seems lovely on first read. The more you read the story, the more the condescension appears. The more self assured arrogant morality appears.

Well, I am no longer fooled. You may see yourself as some modern romance great but your misogyny is showing.

Oh sure, you absolutely don't think you are. I would go so far as to say that you go out of your way to pretend otherwise. And yet it's always the man who teaches the poor simp woman. Every fucking time.

You can fool some idiots by your writing but it's clear to me that you don't think much of women unless they match your ideal exactly

SlowerclamSlowerclamover 1 year ago

It’s “eminent domain,” not “imminent.”

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I think this is a great, well written story. I think AngelRider’s comments sound like Sarah at the beginning of the story. Hopefully she will find someone like HH to show her what love is really about between two people.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I love the story, but at some points it was a little bit confusing. For example when they confess their love for each other the paragraphs are nothing but speech. There is no indication who of them is currently speaking and sometimes one character has multiple paragraphs. That's why I am still not sure who is saying these paragraphs:

"So you've got two hearts to consider here. If we don't work out, they'll both be broken."

"I'm sure I love you, I just don't know how to handle it. Help me, please? Please?"

LivingWordsLivingWordsover 1 year ago

Great story, but you’re obviously not trying hard enough. I mean, seriously, you got called “Boomer”, condescending, AND a misogynist in one comment- put some effort in already!

I don’t understand the haters and ranters; I’m pretty sure it is just jealousy and awareness of their own inadequacy.

Keep up the excellent stories!

Ravey19Ravey19over 1 year ago

Another read through this fabulous story. No more to be said.

Savannah13Savannah13over 1 year ago

Now that the name calling is over with by those who may not understand this story we can get on to what made this story work. After Sarah threw his camera in the lake there was little, if any, hope that Harry and Sarah would ever have a relationship. Both had been physically injured by former mates, Harry's history was older and better understood. What made this story excellent was the brilliant introduction of BB. BB made friends with Harry and then made it work with her mother. Very smart young lady who knew what she wanted and got it. BB is the glue that made this story excellent. An outstanding effort by the author.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

hmmmmm i think i am i love with this story perfecto

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Love the story and gave it five stars.

My only criticism relates to the last segment beginning with "Life went on. Our daughter ..."

Somehow I found it unsatisfying - too much like a fairy tale where after the story (and action) is over it finishes with "And they lived happily every after. The end." There's obviously another story there - BB growing up and going to college, bringing boyfriends home, and so forth.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

A stupendously wonderful story. Loved it. 10 stars for you.

Hornydevil47Hornydevil47over 1 year ago

You write the best stories on this site. THANK YOU SO MUCH. This is the second reading of this one as I am reading some of your stories again and also for the first time. Only ever found one that I was not sure about, will have to reread it. By the way you do know how to make a 75 year old cry. I have always been emotional so I should really stop reading your stories, not a chance on that, Thank you again for your talented writing. Mel B known as Hornydevil47

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbimanabout 1 year ago

my 2nd or 3td reading as this story is always good. thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

I laugh at the”similar stories“ section above. There aren’t any stories similar to this one. They all fall way short of this.

Bill S.

BlueEyd2BlueEyd2about 1 year ago

wonderfully warm and loving story. Very well done!

SequoiaSempervirensSequoiaSempervirensabout 1 year ago

I keep coming back to this story. Very entertaining and well done!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Great story - rereading (for the second time).

A couple of minor nits - during the custody hearing (pg 5) when BB is called to the stand the lawyer uses the name BB Parker - at that point her name was legally Jones. And when the lawyer says that he has no more questions for her father he refers to him as Mr Parker.

And on page 1, when Harry comes home and first meets BB he remarks about her green eyes but when they go into the pizza place and the waitress says that BB has Harry's eyes he says that he never noticed.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

I loved it. I stumbled into it and read it all the way thru. A really touching, moving story. I could almost see Hallmark or Lifetime doing a movie of this story. You've really out done yourself Q I think this is one of the best I've read in a while. Yup, there were a couple of nits, but not enough to really mention. They sure didn't stop me from reading the story. I started by speed reading the first page, only to go back to the beginning and start all over at a slower normal pace, as I didn't want to miss any of the details you like to hide in your stories. I gave it 5 big stars, but wish I could have given it more, as it deserves it. Thank You for sharing it with us.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Very well done. Anybody wanting to learn to write can come and look at this as a "how to."

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Sniff, sniff, harump…. Allergy season is early this year. Yeah, you’re giving the Hallmark Channel a run for their money. You’re effort certainly rates a five plus.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyabout 1 year ago

Must have missed this story when you posted it. Another winner!

5

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Very beautiful story, I loved it.

TEXASMADDOGTEXASMADDOGabout 1 year ago

I have not read but 2 of the comments here; and I cannot believe that anyone could make anything but excellent and positive comments about this story!!

You did tell us at the start, sex was minimal; which is JUST FINE WITH ME!! This is a love story, it took them both some time, and B.B. fixed them up sssooo well, ending up as a Happy Family, with LOTS of grandparents who love her to boot!!!!

This is sssooo a Five**5**Star story...deserves even more by my way of thinking!! The emotional development is the best, and I am going to explore another story, see if I can find one just as satisfying, if not more so!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

lots of cliches...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

This was an incredibly fun love story. Everything was entertaining and paced beautifully. Thank you for all you put into creating and posting this wonderful gem.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

5 stars easily. What else can I say that hasn't already been said by 500+ other comments.

thruholewizardthruholewizardabout 1 year ago

OK first...what was the secret between the judge and BB??? Why make Sarah so much older and baren?

great romance story....loved BB's role in it all..I laughed and I teared up till it was hard to read...great job...some typos and misspellings but not enough to slow things down.

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbimanabout 1 year ago

Just as good on my 2nd. reading.

newford9bnewford9babout 1 year ago

After the fourth time of reading "Excellent"

OvercriticalOvercriticalabout 1 year ago

I know I read this before because it was already rated a 5* when I finished and you can't change the rating. I don't know if I commented before, but I'm not going to look through 544 comments to find out. I'll just say that this author has a knack for satisfying his readers' lust for happy endings. He (I assume, he) pulls all the cornball aspects of a story together and plasters them onto the last page. The stories don't have a happy ending; they have multiple happy endings. It would be nice if the world really works that way. I think I will postpone reading any more of this saccharine goo. At least for a while. We're all suckers for a tear jerker.

Xzy89c1Xzy89c1about 1 year ago

He is too perfect of a character. Always says and does the right thing. Succes was easy for him. Makes him uninteresting.

These lines are perfect example

Seems they were Catholic, but never attended. I couldn't understand why people would kill each other in the name of religion, the concept of my God is Better than your God, and I'll kill you if you disagree, was just so outlandish I would never understand it.

Seems they were catholic and then goes into some weird diatribe against religion? He is a philosopher too?

Part of engaging with a character is seeing and embracing their faults and challenges.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

I agree that MC was a bit too perfect. His scars didn’t seem to affect him too much. It was a technically sound piece.

The plot line was pretty vapid and low stakes when you have unlimited funds and patience. Plus, unlike your other works, the infertility issue is skimmed through. That is a very hard conversation to have with even the most loving and caring people. It’s ended marriages

rodryder44rodryder4412 months ago

This story is still good reading the second time around.

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

Rereading for the fifth time. Still as good as every time before...5 stars easily!

newford9bnewford9b12 months ago

One of the best on here, irrespective of what Mr/Mrs/M Anonymous posts

ygbsmgcygbsmgc11 months ago

One of if not the best I have read on this site

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

No matter how many times I read this story I love it and most of your other stuff too

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

This is the second time I read this story. Loved it both times and cried almost all the way through the second half of the chapters. Words can't describe how excellent this story is. All I can say is You Nailed It...

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

Please tell me you have a book I can buy? Awesome story and very well written

greenbeardlkgreenbeardlk11 months ago

I have read several hundred stories on this site over several years, including this one several times. my favorite story on this site.

ca_daveca_dave11 months ago

Despite the many little flaws, this story is so good, I keep coming back to read it again and again. Thank you for sharing with us. 5*

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

Another excellent example of your story telling. Thanks for sharing it. 5*.

Calico75Calico7511 months ago

A lovely read. Very enjoyable.

tsgtcapttsgtcapt10 months ago

Definitely a read again, and again, and again... thank you!

Torsini71Torsini7110 months ago

Great stry, loved it!

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

What a disappointing albeit patently feel good story! Folks, i had come with so much of "expectations". The great QHML1 aka "L Holden Buff" was authoring it after all.

Ah but life goes on.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Great story!

PostBobPostBob10 months ago

Really, really impressive and touching! Chapeau!

JoshFrom53JoshFrom5310 months ago

A lovely feel-good story

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

A classic. I'll be back to re-read one of these days. The world needs feel good stuff as an anodyne to the fractures in society. Remind us of the virtues of tolerance, kindness and compassion. Too much manufactured hate going around.

LMJ

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

i love these stories world needs as many as you can create

PurplefizzPurplefizz9 months ago

It’s at least my third time around reading this, every time I’ve read it something else pops out and makes take notice, this time it was the line “Emotions ran across her face like water over stones”, that is such a wonderful descriptive writing, it conveys exactly what the author intended, that’s inspired wordplay right there. The other thing that struck me was how whittled down this story was, it might not seem it, with 8 pages of reading behind us, but there’s no excess anywhere, no fatuous nonsense, or surplus side plots, just the story arc and events surrounding the three MCs, that’s on-point editing right there, all told this an embarrassment of riches and a damn good story to boot. So, thanks QHML, for writing and posting it here on for us to read for free, cheers, Ppfzz.

Ravey19Ravey199 months ago

Another read of this great love story.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Excellent; would have been better if problems such as these had been avoided:

A summer by the lake:

Harvey Gant, and a few local flunkies were all indited. indicted

They ratted the guy who shot me out, ratted out (split verb

I was going call a tow truck when I got down to the village to pick your car up.

and try to get yours through imminent domain.

I hope you have a good life, and it brings you what you need regardless of what you want.

enjoyed the volleyball and batmitton competitions. badminton

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

6 stars

tinfoilhattinfoilhat9 months ago

Very nice story

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

yup,another one i'd give extra stars if i could ,thanks.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Loved reading this again just as much as the first time. Heartwarming romance. Thank you. BardnotBard

lerenardruselerenardruse8 months ago

What a wonderful story. Thank you.

newford9bnewford9b8 months ago

Fourth time of reading, still one of the best on here

TwmatthewsTwmatthews8 months ago

Being a sucker for happy endings with a touch of romance, this one is five stars all the way. I particularly liked how Harry started out developing a relationship with BB that eventually developed into a relationship with Sarah. I thought Harry's lecture to Sarah about putting her daughter ahead of Sarah's anger at all men all the time was brilliant. This was my second read and just as enjoyable as the first.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

I keep finding myself coming back to this spectacular story and it always makes me cry. Thank you for giving me something to read that is wonderful, funny, sad, silly and incredibly emotional.

Alexandra xoxo

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Excellent. Slow & predictable at first be very compelling to read . Very enjoyable. Thank you

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Rereading. My only criticism relates to the last section (the epilogue if you prefer). It's too much of an add-on - kind of like a fairy tale that ends with "they all lived happily ever after". That deserves an entire story of its own.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

My fourth time reading this story. It's wonderful. Thank you!

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Rereading for the third time. Love the story.

A few minor typos and inconsistencies - in the wedding June and Greg's daughter was the ring bearer while, at the same time, Harry's youngest son was the ring bearer - I suspect that the intent was for June and Greg's daughter to be the flower girl.

Surnames did get confused - Sarah took back her maiden name (Parker) after the divorce but that still meant that BB's last name was Jones (that point was actually made at another point in the story). But during the custody hearing not only was BB referred to as Ms Parker but her father was also called Mr. Parker. Nothing major but something that careful proof reading should have picked up.

And skimming thru some of the older comments I see that I'm not the only one that picked up on the fact that the last section is a complete add on - while it could have been a story (or stories) in itself it didn't belong here.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

This is a great story, perhaps my favourite on Literotica. My only issue is that ends, I want to keep reading about the Smiths. Not sure how many times I have read it now but it brings me such joy reading it. It should be a movie.

dgfergiedgfergie6 months ago

This a wonderful story, no matter how many times you read it. Be able to be the humanitarian he was is something that makes you wonder about the times we live in. The down and out homeless, the families that are just getting by. It has been said by some in the know that the two wealthiest men in this country could solve the homeless problem and not miss the money. If that's the case why can't our elected officials solve it? Because the homeless don't vote, so the politicians don't give a shit. That's my soap box for the day, great story...............................

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Wonderful story

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

He didn't get her to sign a prenup!? It's all fun and games until you come home and Sarah's fucking Greg or her ex-husband in his bed. Hasn't he ever read stories in the LW section of Literotica?

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbiman5 months ago

one of your better stories regardless of how many times I read it. BB is the real star, MC

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Eminent domain.

5 stars.

sg1010sg10105 months ago

W O W ! Here it goes, My Thoughts . . . . . It was absolutely Great! Y E S, I Thoroughly enjoyed reading Your Creation ! BUT, while reading this, the symptoms of my "allergies" kicked in like Never Before. I am going to have to look into having the house thoroughly cleaned and fumigated to alleviate "those symptoms".

THANK YOU !

LegacybadLegacybad4 months ago

I enjoy your stories. A lot, an this one was no exception. At some point someone seemed to be cutting onions nearby. Thanks for sharing. I'll keep reading you

Phxray54Phxray544 months ago

Third time reading. Still gets five stars.

DrtywrdsmithDrtywrdsmith4 months ago

Beautiful ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Gym52Gym524 months ago

EXCELLENT 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟.

A moving and beautiful story, obviously written in a professional manner and with sincerity.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Heart warming. 5 stars.

Bill S.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

5 stars! You have a wee problem with spelling and keeping names straight, but it doesn't detract from the story. Wonderful!!!

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

5 stars. Minor detail. For practical purposes ( except perhaps for truck farms) U.S. farmers aren’t rivals with each other, their rivals are in the Ukraine, Brazil, and Australia. They are rivals only in buying farm ground or renting it.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Boring to the max................

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Absolutely a wonderful and most enjoyable story. I have read it twice, once a few months ago. The second time was even better than the first. Thanks for writing it.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

What an awesome read!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userqhml1@qhml1
9006 Followers
Can you believe that soon I will have been writing here for ten years? I never imagined I'd last that long. I figured I would run out of story ideas long before now. Instead I've filed over a hundred story ideas yet to be written. I'm retiring in a few weeks. I'm going to us...

story TAGS

SIMILAR Stories