All Comments on 'A Survey of the BDSM Category'

by TheRedChamber

Sort by:
  • 15 Comments
ElectricBadgerElectricBadgerover 1 year ago

Interesting in a quirky way!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

intersting thoughts ..nothing wrong with a fem dom write them and we will read them ...sometimes i wish there was a score for content / story line or idea and one for writeing ... a good arthor can have a well written story with content that i may or may not like .. golden or brown and im done .. just me but i will leave it un rated rather than down rate it because it evolved in a way i didnt care for i only give a 4 or a 5 average speaks for its self a 1 or 2 because of content is subjective no accounting for taste would more graphic S&M content be acceptable a detailed descriprion of being branded or pearced like in " the story of O " for example or is that the storys that disapear you referanced ? some ideas/consepts in SciFi & fanticy are intersteing but so poorly written ( to much he said she said dialoge gets to slow to read or filled out with the details of the clothing of every guest or person while it can set a seen it can be over used if you are not being paid by the word LOL ) so thats my pet peeve but i wont down rate you for that or spelling ( like spelling nazi's do )... im a little dyslexic and never could spell so i do the best i can with my handycap ...my dyslexic accent if you will .. i can even confuse spell check :) keep writing as you point out a multipart will because of its exposure on the new list lead people to go back and read the whole series or i do when i fine a new arthor tend to beng read them so write on and maybe you will be discovered by the masses (random thought) would a series with some chapters in sicfi and some in romance or BDSM attract a wider audence looking to check out the series ?

lc69hunterlc69hunterover 1 year ago

Interesting study. Took a lot of work. I do not spend much time at all in the BDSM area. Mostly in LW, preferring loving and consensual. My opinion is when it goes too far in that category, it belongs in BDSM, as there is no longer a loving wife.

One surprise in your study, though, is the lack of stories with switches. I am one (in the LW category), but it is hard to find another switch to make it work right, as most women would be grossed out and disgusted that their husband or boyfriend wanted to give up control for a weekend.

Anyway, your study gives a good insight.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Wonderful analysis of a category that I enjoy from MY side. LH aka John

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Your analysis is interesting. A lot of effort to determine why one of your stories was not received in the manner expected. While not gravitating towards BDSM but mostly LW, the ones most liked involved F/F, with the younger dominating the older. And one memorable one was M/F turned into a reversal.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Interesting work and analysis. It suggests that my draft of a true, inexperienced femdom story will not likely do as well as I have hoped.

TamaboneTamaboneover 1 year ago

Very interesting study. I'm looking forward to seeing your results from the other categories.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Well done study. However, the biggest question I have is the relevance of any of your statistics given the one-off nature of the sample size. I'd suggest a second pass at BDSM (from an equal number of consecutive days selected randomly). You then have the first analysis to compare and can focus on differences in the two. I have a feeling that you could be wasting your time on other categories if the statistics are driven by the random nature of your single sample.

2soon2no2soon2noover 1 year ago

I think that you need a bigger computer and a bigger sample size. Some people love statistics but interpreting it can be very dicey. I like to write about strong women, that enjoy sex and they might profit from it too. I never categorize a story until I am submitting it for publication. I enjoy writing as the protagonist, so often as a woman, but I want to be proud of myself too, creating characters and stories that I would enjoy experiencing.

craigoolcraigoolover 1 year ago

Thank you for your constructive and objective review of Lit BDSM related stories. I have written several BDSM themed stories which have done well, specifically the 'Audition' series. Noticeably, the two worst performing members of that series are those with prominent Domme roles. Like the lead character in these stories, I was trained to be a Dom under a female Domme. I have found 'hard BDSM' (gorean, extended torture, etc) does not do well on Lit, your analysis does not address that distinction. Thank you for for your insights, I will submit on Thursday for a Friday release from now on.

Gentle_DirectionGentle_Direction6 months ago

This was very helpful, thank you.

AG31AG316 months ago

Thanks for all the info!

WoodsLord_3540WoodsLord_35403 months ago

An author corresponded with a couple of years ago (he no longer writes) posited that a good way to get a good score was to not allow voting until the fifth or sixth day. I looked at his scores but could not discern a pattern; he "retired" before he could to explain or defend his thoughts.

I must admit that his writings did well.

Might you have any thoughts?

TheRedChamberTheRedChamber3 months agoAuthor

@WoodsLord_3540

I suspect your friend is correct. Other data I've collected suggests that scores on stories usually increase from the first day of publishing to the seventh day usually by about 0.2. Only opening voting on the fifth/six day would probably get the tail end of those scores and a nice bump. It's sneaky, and I'm not sure I fully approve, but it would probably work. Of course, depending on what category you're in, you migth get very few subsequent votes as your story would fall off the front pages very soon afterwards.

Calico75Calico752 months ago

This is fascinating. Excellent analysis. One author (not in this category) who has posted a lot of stories mentioned that some of his stories were rated extremely low immediately after they were posted making him wonder about trolls who rated stories one star right after they were posted and without reading them. Impossible to prove, but all of us in social media as well as Lit are aware of trolls. A few of the points your research seems to point to are not what I would have guessed. Thanks and good job!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userTheRedChamber@TheRedChamber
April Fools' Day story now published - Chocolate and the Charlie Factory. This story is part of the Hannah Has Plans series of stories. These are short fun stories that are each stand-alone. There's no real continuity and they range over the whole period of the couple's relat...