A Wife's Fall Pt. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I hear you and Betty are going through a rough patch."

"Told to you by whom?" I asked when I already knew that answer.

"Your sister, of course. Now don't get that look Wane, she's only looking out for you, you know this."

"Uh-huh, I think she's sadistic and takes enjoyment out of my discomfort," I stated, ignoring the eye roll my sister gave me.

"Sometimes that's a good thing; sometimes we need a little discomfort in our lives." That confused me; what did my mother mean by that? "Son, I know this is a hard concept for you to grasp, so try to stay with me, alright?" I nodded, waiting for my mother to continue. "While every marriage should be roses and daisies and neither one ever has a problem with the other. That will never happen; want to know why?" Again, I nodded. "Because we are all human. Even you. No matter what your problems are, you are still human, just like Betty is. I know what she did is inexcusable..."

"You told her?!" I hissed at my sister.

"Of course, I did, Wane," Maggie huffed, cocking out her hip. "What was I supposed to tell her when I told her I was in town and staying here?"

"I don't know, lie if you have to?!"

"Wane?!" My eyes shot down to my mother when she did not appear to be pleased with my suggestion. "I understand that you want to keep this between you and Betty; I get that, I really do. But you do not lie to your mother! Do I make myself clear young man?" I saw no problem with lying; I do it all the time when I'm out in public. So I didn't understand why my mother was so upset by it. Maybe Betty would understand better than I would. "I know this is hard to hear, son, but I know what it's like to be cheated on."

"Huh?" I was rather confused.

"You're father... cheated on me. Once. When you were five. You two wouldn't remember, but it was a rough time for us. I kicked your father out of that house for a week. So I know what it feels like to feel that betrayal. I know you can't feel that. But I can, and I know how hard it is to get that sense of security back when the trust you placed in that person is shattered. And I know how hard it will be for you to keep Betty in your life after what she's done. I won't lie, I'm very disappointed in her. I do not like anyone that harms my babies. Even when one of them can't understand that emotion. I love him, nonetheless. Maggie, you are coming with Wane tomorrow, right?"

"Yes, Mom, they still need help dealing with their troubles."

"We do not," I stated. I really wanted to get them out of my house and back to their own.

"You do, Wane, otherwise if I leave you as you are now, you would be divorced. Is that what you want?" Maggie asked, shooting me this look. Alright, I had nothing, and my sister knew it.

"My, I've never seen you speechless, Wane. Maggie, did Wane have some kind of epiphany since you've been there?"

"He has, and it's huge!" Maggie exclaimed, taunting me.

"Oh?! Go on, let me hear what it is!" I was not enjoying how my mother and sister were teaming up on me, and I was losing ground.

"He loves Betty in his own way." I saw the shock on my mother's face when my sister informed her.

"You're serious?!"

"Mmmhmm," Maggie nodded when she turned her phone towards herself. "I know I'm shocked too; people with Wane's disorder normally do not feel that. Well, Wane still doesn't feel it, but it does show in his actions. That's why I think he was misdiagnosed when he was a kid."

"Oh? And what do you think Wane's symptoms chalk up to?"

"I don't know yet; I'll need some more time to suss out my brother's illness. But don't worry the moment I do; you'll be the first to know." I felt my eyebrow twitch as my mother and sister colluded with one another.

"Wane, what are you doing?" I heard my mother ask as I opened the oven door to apply the first layer of glaze onto the duck.

"Glazing the duck," I stated once I had slid the oven rack back in and shut the door. Laying the brush on the top of the bowl. Knowing I would have to do so again in twenty minutes and one more time before I flipped the bird over.

"I didn't know you ate duck."

"Don't very often, no sense in cooking one when it's just Betty and me here," I said in a matter-of-fact manner when I turned back around.

"Well, now, this only means one thing, you'll be helping me in the kitchen on Thanksgiving. Now, don't you give me that look, young man," my mother said in a stern tone when she wagged her finger at me. "If you can cook... Maggie, what did you call it again?"

"Peking duck." I heard my mother typing away on her keyboard as she sat at her desk at the office she worked at.

"My lord! If you can make this Peking duck, which here says is very hard to do at home, then you can help cook a turkey."

"Yes, Mom," I sighed, knowing I wasn't going to win this. It would be better to concede defeat than to lose any more ground.

"Okay, you two, I have to get back to work, Wane, don't badger your sister so much, and Maggie, stop trying to force something out of Wane that we both know won't come if pushed."

"If I must."

"You must." I saw my mother's stern nod.

"But Mom, don't you want to get through that armor like Betty has?" I saw my sister huff at the look in my eyes.

"I do; you don't know how much I want that. But Wane isn't like us; you can't force him to say it. We both know that will just shut us out further from his life." I'll admit what my mother said was true. "Now, I love the both of you, as does your father. We'll see you when you get here in the morning."

"Wane, if you could say those words to Betty, at least say them to Mom." I glared at my sister when my mother gasped.

"You didn't?!"

"He did, or that's what Betty says." We stood there for five silent minutes neither moving an inch. Sighing in my mind when I knew they were stubborn as all hell and would wait well past when the sun became a white dwarf.

"Love you too, Mom," I said, just so I could move this goodbye along. I was not prepared for the look my mother gave me when those words left my lips. It reminded me of Betty and how she reacted when I said those words to her. Was this always how a normal person reacts when they hear that? I couldn't say. It was rather confusing, to say the least.

"Oh, honey, you don't know how long I've waited to hear those words. I know you can't comprehend what that phrase truly means. I will treasure it always." I noted how she brushed a tear from her eye. "Now, you two be good." With that, I was left with my sister closing out her app.

"See, that wasn't so hard, was it?" Maggie asked with this smug look on her face.

"Says you," I mumbled.

"Wane... hold that thought," Maggie said when her phone rang in her hand. "Yes, hello, this is Dr. Morrison speaking. Oh, hello, Bill, I see, let me ask."

"Would it be alright if Bill, Celine, and Jan came over? They need to have a session. Seems Betty told Celine about our trip," Maggie said, looking at me as she held the phone to her ear.

"I guess, means I'm going to have to get the rice cooker out, or there won't be enough food if they're coming for dinner," I mused. I did like Bill, odd, I know. Bill was a good man, probably better, no I know he's a better person than I am. After all, I doubt Bill has sicked a serial killer on his wife's strange.

"Wane said that would be fine." I heard her say as I dug through the cabinet where we stored the rice cooker. Then opening up the pantry door, wondering if I had enough rice for seven people when I looked for the bag of rice that was open. Seeing how I had a little over two cups, knowing that should be enough. "Okay, I'll see you then." I heard Maggie say before ending the call. "Bill said they would be here at five." I simply nodded as I worked around the kitchen to ensure I had enough for the unexpected dinner guests I was going to have in over an hour.

******

~~~Betty~~~

I groaned loudly in my car once I had shut it off upon my arrival at our home. I was so glad today was Friday, and in a few hours, I would be away from the city with my husband beside me. I know my boss didn't like me leaving so soon and without much notice. Yet, if I was fired, so be it; my marriage was far more important than that job. It wasn't lost on me that Bill's SUV sat along the curb when I walked toward the front door of the home I shared with Wane. The moment I walked in, I was assaulted by the heavenly scents that filled our house. Which, as you can imagine, made my mouth water. Turning my head at the sound of scampering feet as they raced out of the kitchen. My eyes lit up at the sight of my niece. I didn't know she would be here, or my sister and brother-in-law as well.

"Hello, Aunt Betty!" Jan said joyously as she hugged me. Smiling down at my niece as I rubbed her back.

"Hello, Jan, how are you?" I asked in a sweet voice.

"Fine!" Her wide smile beamed up at me when she tilted her head up at me.

"So, what are you doing here?" I asked, hearing someone who I suspected was my husband working in the kitchen.

"Uncle Wane is making a huge dinner! It's going to be so good!" Jan exclaimed as she danced in place.

"Well then, we best get in there and make sure Wane doesn't ruin our delicious dinner, don't you think?" I asked, seeing Jan nodding along. The moment we walked in, I saw my husband working quickly over the wok. I knew from the years of watching him that stir-fry didn't take very long, so I knew to stay out of his way as he moved the spatula around the wok as he added the ingredients to it. "It smells delicious in here, Wane."

"Should be done in a minute," Wane said, keeping his attention on the wok. Hearing the bottom scraping on the metal element of the stove as he flipped the vegetables into the air.

"Then I think you and I need to set the table, don't you?" I asked, looking down at Jan, who nodded vehemently. Hearing the stir-fry sauce sizzling as it hit the hot pan. I noted the green light on the rice cooker that indicated that the rice was done. Setting a dish down beside the stove so he could pour the stir-fry into. Handing Jan the plates to set around the table as she did, I set about scooping the rice into another bowl. Listening to the scraping of the spatula on the wok as I carried the rice to the table. "Hey, you know you could help set the table," I stated, peering at my in-laws and sister, who were content in sitting on their asses. "It's the least you can do since Wane has gone to all this trouble in making this dinner for us," I huffed.

"What do you expect from a bunch of freeloaders." Wane's voice engulfed me as he walked behind me, setting the stir-fry on the table. "They have no problem eating my food but can't get off their butts to do a little chore." I knew he was only joking, yet it seemed they didn't like the joke.

"Uncle Wane," I looked down when Jan tugged on Wane's shirt. "I'm not a freeloader, am I?" I bit my lip, noting how Wane's features softened when he peered down at her.

"Never, you're the only one that will never be that." I saw how Jan's eyes sparkled as she gazed up at him. Watching how she followed after as Wane walked back to the stove. Hearing my niece humming as she opened our silverware drawer. I felt my mouth just watering at the sight of the duck when Wane pulled it out of the oven. The scents of the spices he used filled my nose, urging me to just bite into that hot, juicy bird without regard to the burns I would receive if I did.

"If you want drinks, you're going to have to make them yourself," I stated in a firm tone as our guests moved towards the dinner table. "This isn't a restaurant, and you're being rude to my husband," I spoke, eyeing Maggie and my sister. "I would think after all this work, you would at least lend a hand. Guess that's too much for you all when Wane's worked hard on this meal," I said, letting them know I wasn't happy. "If we were at your homes, you'd be on us too. You can't deny that, so what makes you all special that you can disrespect my husband in our own home?"

"Wane told us to get out," Celine spoke up.

"When he was cooking, most likely, do you see my husband cooking? No, I don't see him cooking, do you? Then get your butts in there and make yourselves useful," I uttered, pointing to the cabinet where the glasses were stored. "Or you can go thirsty; this isn't a full-service restaurant." I noted the amusement in Wane's eyes as he carved up the duck and placed the slices along the platter with the wings and legs upon it. "Got something to say?" I stared hard at Griffin when he began to open his mouth. "Thought so." I didn't care if I was sounding like a hard ass at the moment; no one disrespects my man in front of me. Ever! I noted how Wane gave Jan a little slice of the duck with the skin still attached as she stood at the island watching him slice up the bird.

"You like it?" I heard him ask to which Jan nodded her head very vigorously as she chewed.

"You all done?" I asked as I stood across from him as he placed the carving knife and fork into the sink. "Then I'll carry this to the table. Go find your seat Jan, we wouldn't want to keep Wane waiting," I said, smiling sweetly down at her before picking up the platter.

"Thank you, honey; I know making this was a lot of work, and I'm very happy that you made it for me," I said, resting my hand over his as I sat beside him. "Oh my! This is so good!" I exclaimed from around my cupped hand as the flavors of the duck exploded along my taste buds. Seeing Maggie and Bill nodding along as they too had taken their own bites.

"Wane, how long did it take you to make this?" Bill asked as he wiped his mouth.

"Two days," Wane stated as he took a bite of the stir-fry. "So you better enjoy it; I'm not making another anytime soon." I watched how Jan just dug into the leg in her hands.

"Really, two days?" Celine asked, skeptical of what my husband had just said.

"Yeah, this isn't something you can just whip up at a moment's notice. As I have stated to the two of them," I saw how he pointed at Maggie and me, "it's a lot of prep to get it to come out like this."

"I just love this skin; it's so crispy!" I said as I peeled it off the slice on my plate and popped it into my mouth.

"Well, it isn't called crispy duck for nothing." I noted how he was trying to hide his smirk, but his eyes gave him away.

"Well, then me and this crispy duck are going to get very acquainted," I nodded firmly as I reached for seconds. I wasn't the only one either. I placed the last drumstick on Wane's plate; it was only fitting that the cook didn't starve before the platter was picked clean. When dinner was over, not a scrap of rice, stir-fry, or duck was left other than bones.

"That was so good!" Jan squealed in her seat.

"Mmmhmm," I nodded in agreement as I hummed my response. Knowing we were all stuffed to the brim.

******

"Wane, Betty, would you two mind if we used your bedroom, so we can talk in private?" I looked to Wane as we were relaxing in the living room after our meal with Jan sitting beside me, and Griffin had made himself scarce after dinner. Didn't bother to offer to clean up, just high-tailed it to the guest bedroom. Ingrate! At least my sister and Bill had the wherewithal to help out, as did Maggie. I honestly don't see what Maggie sees in that man. I wonder if he's like this at their place. It wouldn't surprise me if he was.

"Wane, would you mind?" I asked softly into his ear. I noted how Wane wanted to say something when his eyes fell on my sister, then leaned forward and looked at Jan. I wondered what was going through his mind when he shrugged.

"Your husband isn't useful around the house, is he?" Wane asked when Maggie followed behind Celine and Bill to our bedroom.

"Wane, watch it," Maggie threatened.

"Maybe you should work on that; he doesn't have a problem eating someone else's food but can't be bothered to help clean up. I do hope he isn't like this at your place." I have no idea why he has to antagonize his sister, yet it appears that Wane enjoys getting his sister riled up.

"Stop that!" I hissed low as I slapped his chest once our bedroom door slammed closed.

"Why?"

"It's not nice," I stated, looking him in the eyes.

"Well, Griffin is a mooch, always has been. You think he could learn to pick up after himself, given he's supposed to be this big, fancy surgeon. Even your sister, as bad as she is, knows how to clean up after herself. Even Jan knows you do that." I looked over at my niece, who nodded along with my husband. "Not my fault Maggie chose poorly."

"Uncle Wane?"

"Hmm?"

"Can we go outside and play?" I pressed my lips together, trying not to smile when Jan looked around me.

"Sure, let's go burn off that duck," Wane uttered, getting up from his seat. I sauntered after them with my hands behind my back, just enjoying the sight before me as Wane led Jan out the backdoor.

I sat on the patio just watching the two of them running around. I have no idea why Wane, given what he is, is so good with kids. I looked shyly away when I felt my face burning when Wane caught my stares of longing. What can I say? I love that man.

"Uncle Wane?"

"Yes, Jan?" I heard him reply as the two of them sat with their backs to me as they rested on the grass after running around for about half an hour.

"Will you still be my uncle if you and Aunt Betty get divorced?" I noted how Jan looked up at him as she sat by his side.

"Sadly no, I would not." I watched Jan's sadness flood her face when Wane answered her. "Relax, Jan, we aren't there yet." I hoped that was true and not to placate Jan.

"You promise that you'll be my uncle forever and ever?" I bit my lip as Jan looked at Wane with doe-like eyes. While my emotionally stunted husband peered down at her. I could tell Wane was debating on what to say to her.

"Are you sure you want me as your uncle for that long?" I watched how Jan nodded vehemently to his question. I was not expecting Jan to leap up and wrap her arms around Wane's neck.

"Of course, I do! I love you, Uncle Wane!" Jan cried out.

"I know you do," Wane uttered in this soft voice he normally had when he spoke to Jan.

"Uncle Wane, why don't you ever say it back?" My heart stilled when that question left Jan's lips when she returned to her spot beside him. I watched how Wane debated with himself on how to tell Jan in a way a seven-year-old can understand.

"Because I was born broken."

"But can't you be fixed?" Jan asked in that innocent curiosity.

"No. There is no cure for what I am. I have and always will be like this. I'm sorry I can't say it like you want me to, Jan." I noted how Jan listened to every word he spoke intently. Like she always did when the two of them spoke to one another. Not that I'm surprised, after three years of watching her mother step out on her father. I knew Wane had become sort of her rock when she needed stability in her life.

"Then I'll love you twice as hard," Jan said in fierce determination. It was so cute the way she nodded.

"Do you think that will work?"

"Mmmhmm. If Daddy can forgive Mommy, then I know it has to work!" I knew my eyes lustered when Wane glanced at me. What can I say? Seeing the two of them together made me all warm inside. "Don't worry, Uncle Wane, I'll make you all better!" I had to bite my lip to keep from giggling at the look that was plastered on my niece's face when she said that. I knew she meant well, but there was no cure, or no matter how much hope she has that her love will change him, Wane will always be Wane. Yet, I too can hope, even as impractical as it sounds. I turned my head as the back door opened, and out stepped my sister and Bill. I could see where Celine had been crying, and I also noted Bill hid his temper. I wondered what had been discussed to cause the two of them to appear as such.

1...456789