A Wonderful Mistake

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Okay. We're going to head to bed now unless you want us to stay up with you," my Mother offered.

"No, I'm fine now. Thank you for being here for me. I'm glad tomorrow is Sunday. I'll see you in the morning."

I went to bed after checking on Casey. She was hugging the teddy bear Roy had gotten her a month ago. He said it had called out to him at the store saying he was for Casey. I had laughed at him at the time. Casey took one look at the bear and had never let it go after that. I wiped the tear from my eye and went into my room. I was mentally exhausted, I must have been as I went to sleep almost as soon as my head hit the pillow.

The next morning I got up early and got breakfast around. I was waiting for Casey to make some noise and was surprised when she walked out silently, bear in her hand.

"Mama. Can I have a new Band-Aid? My knee hurts."

I smiled and picked her up. Placed her on the chair and knelt to look at her knee. It was a bit red, but had scabbed over pretty well. It was healing well enough. I went to the Band-Aids in the cabinet and pulled them out, letting her pick out the one she wanted. I was pleased to see a smile cross her face as I applied it. I gave her a kiss on the forehead and put the Band-Aids away.

She turned around and reached for the bowl of fresh fruit. Then poured herself some orange juice from the bottle into the empty glass. I placed a plate with a slice of French toast and sausage links in front of her and watched as she used her knife and fork to prepare them to eat. I was always so proud of her confidence and determination. In a way it reminded me of Roy. He had always demonstrated that kind of resolve, whether shooting baskets, or doing class work.

Casey set about playing and I decided to call the hospital to check on Roy's condition. I waited for a minute until a nurse came on the phone. She wanted to know if I was family and I told her I was a close friend. She hesitated a moment, then asked.

"How close?"

I hesitated. What do I say? My mind stumbled trying to formulate a response that would prove satisfactory.

"If we were any closer we would be married."

There was another long pause. I held my breath.

"He's listed as being in serious condition. He's improving and we hope that by tomorrow he will be in stable condition. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

"If his condition gets better when would I be able to see him?"

"Perhaps another two days if things go well. I'd call back then."

"Thank you so much," I said appreciatively.

I hung up the phone. I felt a huge burden life off my shoulders. He was alive and improving. I had decided not to ask too many questions regarding what was wrong with him. I could wait to find that out later. But he was improving. That was what I wanted to hear. He wasn't completely out of the woods yet, but he was getting better.

I sat down on the floor with Casey and we built a tower out of wooden blocks that she immediately took a great deal of pleasure in knocking down with a loud crash. Her broad smile and laugh added to my feeling of relief. The incident hadn't seemed to have affected her much. At least I had thought so only to be pushed back to reality when she asked.

"Can we go see Mr. Todd at home?"

"No honey. We can't. Mr. Todd is at the hospital. We will have to wait until he is better before we can see him again."

I could see the disappointment in her eyes. I tried to distract her with the suggestion it was snack time. She fell for it and we walked to the kitchen table where I got out apple slices, raisins, and a small glass of milk. We were just finishing up when my parents walked in from their morning walk. Casey shot straight to them with loud cries of Gram and Gramp.

We had been sitting talking for about ten minutes when the phone rang. I picked it up to find Mrs. Todd on the line. She asked if she and Mr. Todd could stop and see me. I felt my stomach tighten. But, I couldn't refuse when they said they had seen Roy at the hospital.

Mr. and Mrs. Todd arrived about fifteen minutes later and sat down on the sofa after greeting my parents. They proceeded to tell us the hospital had called them as next of kin and to obtain insurance information hours after Roy had arrived at the hospital.

"So did they allow you to see him?" My mother asked.

Bertha replied, "we were allowed in to see him for just a few minutes. His head was bandaged and he was sedated as they try to reduce the swelling in his head. His shoulder was sprained, and other than that he didn't sustain anything but bruises. The doctors were pretty amazed at that. If he regains consciousness today they think he has a good chance at a full recovery without brain damage and associated mental impairment. Joyce, thank you for calling us and letting us know he saved Casey's life."

I looked at my mother. I didn't know she had done that. But, I was glad she had. I had thought about it but had decided I would do it later today. I knew I was holding back as I was afraid they would blame me for Roy's involvement because I hadn't kept an eye on Casey. I was still fearful of that reaction.

"I'm sorry you had to hear about it from mom," I said, "I had planned on calling you today to tell you myself. All I can say is that without Roy's courage my daughter would be dead. I'll never be able to repay him for that."

Bertha and Robert Todd looked at me with firm expressions. I wasn't sure what was going to come out of their mouths. I felt myself tense.

"Amy, I'm not sure you know it or not, but your letters kept Roy going after Darlene left him. He has told us more than once the letters from you and Dale had made a big difference. He knew he had friends to come back to. Once Dale left you he appreciated your letters even more as he enjoyed the news about Casey. You helped him through some really rough times while he was in Viet Nam."

I sat stunned at the news. Roy had never said a thing to me about it. But, he rarely talked about his time in Viet Nam except in very general terms. It didn't take a genius to see he had seen some tough combat and had lost a number of close friends. I had never pried and simply listened on those few occasions when he said something, and then went quiet. Just my listening seemed to be enough as he would soon be his normal relaxed self.

"He never told me."

"We know, it's not like him to be so open. But, he did appreciate your friendship and still does."

"Mr. and Mrs. Todd thank you for telling me. You know Casey loves him. She seems drawn to him and is entirely comfortable with him. If you could just see the two of them together when he comes over you would be so proud. He's going to make some lucky woman a wonderful husband someday."

"Thank you," Mr. Todd said with a smile. "Well we should get going. We plan on coming back tomorrow if the hospital says he is able to see us. Otherwise, we'll wait another day and hope he'll be conscious. The doctors told us the sooner he gains consciousness the better."

"Mr. and Mrs. Todd. I would like to see Roy as soon as I can. If the hospital doesn't want to let me in would you be willing to put a good word in for me?"

"Of course Amy. We'll let them know when we talk with them. No reason for you to have to ask them," Mrs. Todd replied.

Mr. Todd concurred, "Amy, it only would do him good to see you and Casey."

I watched as Mr. and Mrs. Todd drove off. I felt relieved they hadn't blamed me. Now, if I could only stop blaming myself. I looked at my parents.

"I never knew Roy appreciated those letters so much. He has never mentioned it to me, I wonder why?"

"Amy he has been friends with Dale for a long time. I'm sure he felt hesitant about telling you, particularly after you and Dale divorced. He probably didn't want to put any stress on you and Dale, so he stayed out of the way. You know he probably didn't want to have to take sides."

"Yeah, I guess that makes sense."

Just then the phone rang and this time my mother answered it, then turned to me.

"It's your lawyer. I'll take Casey outside to play for a while. Come on dear, you can help."

I took the phone from her hand and watched they walked out the back door with Casey.

"Hello, Mr. Thornton. I assume you have received a response from Dale."

"Yes. You're not going to like it."

"You know I don't want much. Just some support from him. I don't think that's asking a lot. I know he doesn't make much. But, some of it should go to Casey."

"Amy, he wants you to take a paternity test."

"What! I can't believe this. He has always accepted the fact Casey is his child. I've never been with another man."

"There's a new test available called the RFLF test. I suggest you get a blood draw from Casey and prove once and for all he's the father. After that, he doesn't have any reason not to have pay or he'll have his pay garnished to pay child support."

"You don't think the judge would throw it out?"

"Since both of you attended the party with other men present he has something to point to since both of you were intoxicated. So, I expect the judge would likely rule in his favor. Best thing is to simply have the RFLF test performed and have this argument behind you."

"So, I have to pay to have the test performed and if I don't it simply delays the court ordering him to pay."

"Yes. That' pretty much it. Sorry Amy, I hadn't expected this either."

I felt angry and hurt. There was no reason for this. But I had to do it. I knew he had gotten another job and was making better money. There was things I needed for Casey and I simply couldn't afford it myself. I didn't' want to ask my parents. I was deeply disappointed with the news.

"Okay. I'll get it done and have the test results sent to you. Is there anything else I need to know?"

"At this point in time I would advise you not to talk with Dale. I know he hasn't taken any interest in you or Casey, so you may as well not stir the pot so to speak. Just leave well enough alone."

"Okay, that won't be hard. After this I'm not inclined to talk with him anyway. Thanks for getting a response."

About an hour later Darlene called and asked about Roy. She had heard the news stories. I told her all I knew and we talked for a while and was surprised by what she said just before we hung up.

"Amy, I never should have left Roy. It was the dumbest thing I've ever done. Now, I wish I was still with him."

I didn't know what to say. I knew Roy had been very much in love with her and it had hurt him deeply. But, should I encourage her to rekindle her relationship with him? Her last night with Roy was at the party at his parent's house. That night she had confided to me that they were going to have sex and that she was on the pill. It was the same night Dale and I were together. I wasn't sure if either of us had won any victories that night. She wound up with a loser in Bruce, just as I had with Dale. Only I had child to show for the night.

CHAPTER THREE SLOW RECOVERY

It was late afternoon the next day when I couldn't stand it any longer. I called the hospital to check on Roy's status. I talked with the head nurse and she told me Roy had regained consciousness just a few hours before and the doctors had performed a series of test to evaluate his cognitive abilities. She was about to inform his parents they could visit. When I asked if I could she asked my name. After a few seconds she told me my name was on the list as a family member. I thanked her and told her I would be in as soon as I could. At the last second I asked.

"Would it be alright if I brought my three-year old daughter with me? We won't stay long, but I'm sure he would really like to see her."

There was another pause, "Yes that would be fine as long as you keep the visit short."

It was good news. I told my parents the news and told them I was heading for the hospital taking Casey with me. I felt so excited, it looked as if Roy were going to be alright--I couldn't believe how good I felt.

I arrived at the hospital and found a parking spot near the main entrance. I took Casey out of the seat where I had her strapped in with a seat belt. I told her we were going to see Mr. Todd and she grew a big smile. Then I told her Mr. Todd was not going to look the same as he usually did. He would have bandages on his head and body. True to form she asked me why.

I smiled at her. "Okay little girl, I'll explain it to you later. But, I need you to be good and do what I tell you. Can you do that?"

"Yes Mama. I'll be good. I want to see Mr. Todd."

I walked into the hospital lobby and found the elevators, then looked at the floor directory. I let Casey push the button and she brightened up with a wide smile. We walked towards the nursing station and I inquired as to what room Roy Todd was in. The nurse looked at me and then at Casey with a smile.

"What a beautiful little girl. I'm sure she is the apple of her daddy's eye," she gushed. Then I saw her expression change as she saw I wasn't wearing a wedding ring--her face went red. I tried to put her at ease.

"She charms all the men, particularly her grandfather, and Mr. Todd."

"Room three oh three. He's awake."

I walked down the intensive care unit hall watching the room numbers. I felt myself grow tentative. I was almost afraid to see what he looked like. A flashback of his body flying through the air and landing on the street came into my mind. I pushed it away and clutched at Casey's hand. When I got my first glimpse of Roy I felt myself gasp and took a deep breath. My God! It looked like some wild man had used up all of the white gaze bandages in the entire hospital. I stepped in slowly with Casey at my side. Roy's eyes were closed--maybe he was asleep.

"Roy," I said softly as I stood near his head. Looking at the tubes running out of his arm and into the blinking and softly beeping machine next to the bed--it made me uncomfortable. I watched as he slowly opened his eyes and turned his head in my direction. It took a few seconds before a small smile crossed his bruised face under the crown of bandages.

"Amy."

"Yes, I brought someone to see you," as I picked Casey up.

I watched as his smile grew wider.

"Hey peanut. Are you being a good girl for mommy?"

Casey looked at him for long seconds. The she grew a smile.

"Yes, Mr. Todd. Mommy said I have to be good so I can see you. Mommy said you had Band-Aids. You have a lot of them. Does it hurt? My Band-Aids where I fell down after you pushed me hurt a little. But, I don't cry."

Roy laughed a little. When he did he winched in pain. I reached over and placed my hand on his.

"Casey, I'm sorry I had to push you. I feel better now and I'm glad you're here. I missed you."

"I want you to come home so we can play."

"I will soon peanut. I have to stay here for a while longer. But we'll play soon."

I watched as a tear ran down his cheek. He wiped the tear away and looked at me.

"Are you okay?"

"Yes. But I was so worried about you. How can I ever thank you for saving her?"

"Amy, you already have. Seeing her here is all the thanks I need."

Just then his parents walked in. We greeted each other with smiles. They came to stand next to me as I pulled my hand from his.

"Mom and dad. I know I don't look too good. But I'm okay. I'm going to heal up, I've seen worse."

I watched the expression on Mrs. Todd's face. She was trying to hold herself together.

"Mom, please. You know Jarheads are tough. As they say in the Corps--no pain, no gain."

I watched as a small smile appeared and she said softly--"Once a Marine, always a Marine."

Roy just gave a broad smile. "I would laugh, but it would hurt too much. I'm not that masochistic."

I decided not to stay too long so he could spend time with his parents alone. I looked at him with a smile.

"I should get going, I'll try and get back to see you again."

"Amy, thanks for coming. I'm so happy Casey is good. Seeing her really helps. And seeing you helps too. Just don't blame yourself for this."

"He looked at Casey with a smile. "Peanut, you be good for mama. I'll get better and be home soon so we can play."

I walked out the door and before I got down the hall a few rooms saw Officer Edwards. He smiled at me as he passed. I turned while I pushed the elevator button while holding Casey's hand. He was standing outside Roy's room. I knew he was there to get Roy's statement.

I wondered how much Roy would remember, though I was impressed he seemed fully aware. If there was something that had frightened me as I stood at his bedside when I walked in it was that he had suffered brain damage that would take away the man I had known all these years. My first glimpse of Roy in bed covered with wrappings with tubes running of his arms had caused me to hesitate and my breath to skip. Now, I felt he would mend and we would have him back. Casey and I would have our friend back.

I took Casey home, kissed her goodbye and left her in my mothers' care. As I got to work and set about putting new merchandize out on the shelves and helping customers feeling the best I had in days. Sure I had problems to solve, but the fears of the past few days had passed, and I was optimistic for the future.

Two days later I made a trip to the hospital to have Casey's blood drawn for the paternity test. My parents had been upset with Dale's suggestion that I had been with someone else and that he wasn't the father. It still bothered me, more so because it seemed a ploy to delay the support payments that would help Casey--his own daughter. I just didn't recognize the man I had known and married. The best thing was that Casey was a real trooper and didn't make a fuss. I was so proud of her.

I had taken Casey to see Roy again two days before her blood draw, but elected not to tell him about this latest development with Dale. I was so impressed to see how well he looked. His color was better and he was so enthused and lively while we were there. He'd been moved into another room as his condition had improved rapidly to a stable condition. He told me he expected to be released in a day or two.

He also told me the police had called to tell him they had found the driver of the vehicle that had hit him. He was relieved as now the costs for his hospital stay would be covered. I was shocked, but when he explained to me that he would have been covered if it had been an automobile accident I understood. He didn't have any other health coverage. For the first time, I realized how vulnerable Casey and I were. What would I have done if Casey had been seriously injured? It frightened me.

I was just returning home from work when I saw Mr. and Mrs. Todd's car in the driveway at Roy's house. I changed clothes and went back into the living room where my mother was sitting looking out the front window.

"Roy just got home from the hospital. His parents are there right now. He looked like he was walking fine, and I didn't see but one bandage on his head and a sling on his arm."

During my last hospital visit Roy told me the shoulder sprain had been low-grade according to the doctors and that keeping it immobilized for two or three weeks was needed. Then physical therapy in the form of exercises would result in full recovery with no loss of function.

Roy told me the doctors thought he had been very lucky to have had a glancing blow against the edge of the hood and roof. He told me he had rolled against the windshield and over the roof and landed on his back hitting his head on the pavement. I didn't remember all of what he described. But, it didn't matter. He was going to recover fully and that was the important thing.

"Mom, I wonder if I should go over and see him right away, or wait until tomorrow after he has a chance to settle in."

She smiled, "Why don't you ask him? Call him after his parents leave. You can always take something over for him to eat, or offer to cook a meal for him. I'm sure he would appreciate something like that."