A Wonderful Mistake

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Those are great ideas, thanks Mom."

"Or, you could invite him over here where he could relax after he eats with us. I'm sure he would like to see Casey."

Half an hour later the Todd car drove off. I waited a few minutes then dialed Roy's number. The line was busy. I waited another ten minutes and then decided to walk across the street to see him. I told mom I was going and that I would be back in a few minutes. Casey was still napping and wasn't due to be up for another fifteen minutes. I would be back by then to get her up.

I knocked on Roy's door and looked in through the window of the storm door. He was on the phone, but motioned for me to come in. I was just inside when I heard him say.

"Darlene, I'll think about it. I need to get myself around yet. Things are still up in the air."

I watched as he placed the receiver down on the cradle. He looked up at me with consternation.

"That was Darlene. She wants to see me."

"What about?"

"Amy, I think we both know what she wants. She wouldn't tell me saying we needed to talk. She wants to renew our relationship. That's the only thing it could be."

CHAPTER FOUR RELATIONSHIPS

I knew in all likelihood Roy was right. Now, I felt I didn't want to get in the middle of this. I really didn't know what to think. On the one hand, Roy was not dating anyone, and Darlene had recently broken up with yet another boyfriend--her third I thought. But, maybe enough time had passed so she realized how good Roy had been for her. Then, on the other hand, I didn't want to see Roy hurt again if she was still as unsettled as she had been with her prior three boyfriends. Roy was busy enough with working and classes that I was sure that was why he wasn't dating. Darlene only had the potential to screw that up as I had always considered her somewhat needy--what a mess.

"Amy I know you and Darlene are still friends and I don't want to put you in the middle of this. But, I have to tell you I'm guy shy. I thought I was over her. Now she calls me up and I'm confused with what I feel. It would have been better if she had stayed away."

I saw the tortured expression on his face. I decided to change the subject.

"Why don't you come over to our house for dinner? Mom suggested it, and I don't mind cooking. Plus, Casey should be in a good mood as she will be getting up from her nap."

I saw a huge smile cross his face. Then he grew a little quiet as if he were embarrassed.

"I would really like to see that little peanut. Well, and you too."

"Come over when you're ready, we'll be waiting." Then I turned to him with a mischievous smile.

"Wait! Do you want me to help you cross the street safely?"

I saw his face glow and grow a broad smile.

"I'll manage, thank you."

I smiled to myself. Casey was going to be very happy. Not that I wouldn't be. I had my friend back even if he had an injured wing and a wrapped up head. Best of all, he still had his sense of humor.

Roy walked over about ten minutes later while I was holding Casey in my lap as she held her bear and hatched a little bit. She was always such a darling at times like this. Even now she usually didn't want to be held like this for long before she wanted to get down and start running around. When mom opened the door and Roy walked in she jumped out of my lap and made a bee-line for Roy. He keeled down and wrapped his good arm around her.

"Hey peanut. Can I eat dinner with you?"

Yehhh! As she jumped up and down excitedly. Once Casey stopped jumping Roy took her hand and sat down next to me on the sofa. Dad and mom came over to talk with him while I went into the kitchen to tend to the cooking. Mom had already set the table, putting Casey's high chair between where Roy and I would sit. We talked all through dinner. We avoided talking about the accident and dad asked if it would be useful if he mowed the lawn for Roy.

He looked at my dad with a smile. "You know it's a pretty small lawn. I hardly turn the mower on before its time to turn it off."

My dad laughed. "Why do you think I'm offering?"

They both laughed. I was always pleased that my dad and Roy had always gotten along. Our parents had always been friends. They didn't spend time together all of the time, but when one of them needed to barrow something, or needed help they knew they could count on each other. Our mothers always found time to gossip. One of the reasons I was always on my good behavior. My mom would always find out if I was up to no good. The same thing went for Roy.

Roy and dad went into the living room together and took Casey with them while mom and I cleared the table and put the leftovers away. We could hear Casey laughing as Roy and dad entertained her. By the time we finished and walked in dad was reading Casey a story while she held bear. Roy was sitting in the large chair with his eyes closed. I went to stand next to him and whispered.

"The story is supposed to put Casey to sleep, not you."

Roy didn't open his eyes but turned his head in my direction and whispered.

"There are ten thousand comedians out looking for work right now and I end up with you for free."

I chuckled quietly, "Guess I should up my game."

He opened his eyes and looked at me as if he was seeing me in a different way for the first time.

"I like you just the way you are. You're a wonderful mother. Your cooking is good too."

I hadn't expected the compliments. But, after the past few weeks it felt good to have someone say it. I wasn't sure if he was just trying to make me feel better, or not. Right then it really didn't matter, it did make me feel better, especially coming from him.

"Amy, I'm going to head home. But would you come over and see me after Casey goes to sleep. I need to talk with you."

His expression was serious. I wondered if he was going to ask me about Darlene and what he should do. I hesitated, then decided I may as well tell him I didn't want to get in the middle of it.

"Yes, I'll come over. It'll be about an hour."

"Okay. I'll be waiting."

He got up to leave. Dad had just finished the story and Casey was still sitting there wide-eyed. When she saw Roy get up she slid off dad's lap and walked to him clutching bear.

"Mr. Todd. I'm glad you came to see me and bear."

"Thank you peanut. Now be good for mama and sleep tight, keep bear warm. Maybe I'll see you tomorrow."

Casey gave Roy a hug as he knelt down and he gave her a kiss on the top of the head. He said goodnight to my parents and headed home. I watched him as he crossed the street. He really was a good man--maybe much too good for Darlene.

Casey didn't need a bath so I held her and read her another story. This time her eyes slowly closed and she went sound to sleep. I carried her in and placed her into bed with bear next to her. She didn't move a muscle, out like a light. Being a single mother wasn't easy, but I wouldn't trade her for the world.

I told my parents I was going to Roy's house and would be back in a while. I stepped out into the cool night air and looked up at the half moon and the first bright stars. There was still a hint of red glow to the west. I walked across the street, knocked on the door, and walked in. Roy was sitting on the sofa and smiled as I came in.

"Amy, thanks for coming. I know you weren't expecting this but I need to talk with you. I wanted to tell you before, but there wasn't a chance."

I decided to head him off at the pass.

"Roy, I don't want to talk about Darlene. I really don't want to get in the middle of anything."

"This isn't about Darlene, it's about you and Casey."

I looked at him puzzled. Then I felt a bit of anxiety. Maybe he really thought I had messed up by not keeping a good eye on her. He must have sensed something by the expression on my face.

"Amy, I was the cause of the accident, not Casey. She saw me as I stepped out of the house as she was playing ball while you and your mother talked. She started heading for me and I was afraid she wasn't going to stop. I started walking towards her and she thought I was coming to meet her. I was almost in the middle of the street when the car came racing around the corner. If I hadn't started walking towards her she would have waited for me to come to her. I'm certain of it. So please, don't blame yourself, it was my fault. I wouldn't have gotten hurt if I had simply stayed still."

I just looked at him, I didn't know what to say. I just couldn't believe he would blame himself for the accident. He saved my child's life and he was blaming himself. But my father's words came back to me. I hadn't seen everything, I had only seen part of what happened.

"Roy, you can't be serious. It wasn't any more your fault than Casey or myself. I realize now it was an accident. If anyone is to blame it's the driver of the car that shouldn't have been speeding down the street in the first place. He wasn't driving responsibly. You know that."

It wasn't a 'he', it was a 'she'.

"What! When did you find this out?"

"Just after I got home after having dinner with you. The police called me to tell me the father of the girl behind the wheel brought her in and had her take responsibility for what she had done. Turns out she had been drinking and took her new car out for a spin after having had an argument with her boyfriend. After the accident she took the car to the dealership her father owns and wanted one of the mechanics to repair the car, but not tell her father. When the mechanic inspected the car and found hair and blood in the cracked windshield he called her father. She didn't did tell a convincing story and when he pressed her she broke down and told the truth. It all went downhill for her from there. He has offered to pay all of my medical costs and anything else related to the accident. Even my lost hours at work."

I sat down next to him on the sofa. I felt his hand on my shoulder. I looked up at him.

"Amy, I still feel responsible. I can't help but feel I should have been smarter. I just couldn't take the chance Casey would be hit. I had to push her out of the way. It would have killed me if she had gotten injured, or killed."

I felt tears start to form in my eyes. I had blamed myself, he had blamed himself. Now both of us had to accept the fact that maybe neither of us was totally to blame. Maybe it was the release of the emotional stress I had been feeling since the accident. Maybe it was the same with him. But I leaned towards him and hugged him hard as his arm came around my shoulder. Almost instantly I knew I shouldn't have done it. He flinched away in pain with a loud groan. I quickly released him and looked at him with a terrible feeling I had really hurt him.

"That got my attention," he said after a few seconds as I watched the pain leave his face.

"Maybe I should go before I hurt you more," I replied contritely.

He smiled, "What are you going to do? Hit me with a car? I've already shown I can handle that."

I felt such a relief. I did the only that came to mind. I leaned over and kissed him on the cheek.

"So, are we good?" he asked.

"We're good."

CHAPTER FIVE THE SINS OF MY PAST

It was two days after Roy got home from the hospital. I had just gotten home after work when the phone rang. I picked up the phone and my lawyer was on the other end of the line. I could tell from the tone of his voice that he had news I didn't want to hear. The only thing I could think of was that the test had been botched and would have to be conducted again, or that the results had been lost.

"Amy, I have some news for you. Are you sure you remember everything that happened that night?"

"I think so, I mean I was intoxicated, but I remember what happened."

"Well, apparently you didn't remember everything as the blood test shows Dale is not Casey's father. There is absolutely no doubt."

I felt completely numb, that just couldn't be. There was no way. I had intercourse with Dale twice that night in the guest bedroom at Roy's house. The only other guy that stayed almost until the end was Bruce and I had hardly even talked to him as he was talking to Darlene much of the time. Then I heard my name called.

"Amy, are you still there?"

"Yes... I... Mr. Thornton is there any chance they got the samples mixed up somehow? I mean it's just not possible."

"I had the lab double-check everything and they came back saying there was no evidence of any mistake on their part. I think you're dead in the water. Dale is not the father, I'm sorry."

"Thank you, Mr. Thornton."

I hung up the phone and closed my eyes as I sat down on the sofa. I wanted to just die. How was I ever going to explain this to my parents? How was I going to explain it to myself? Did I pass out and not remember everything. How could another man have had sex with me with Dale there? He wouldn't have let that happen, it just didn't make any sense.

Then it occurred to me. What was Dale going to say when he got the results? I could hardly wait for that conversation. I was sure he would call me. No way he wouldn't.

I ran over what happened that night in my mind for the hundredth time. Roy's parents had left for their lake house for the weekend and Roy had arranged and held a party in their absence for his send off. There were about twenty people there and we drank, listened to music, and talked until most everyone left at about twelve. That left only five of us until Bruce left, and then it was just Darlene and Roy, and Dale and myself. Darlene and Roy were to use his bedroom and Dale and I went into the guest bedroom.

Dale and I started kissing and after a while we were both down to our underwear. I had to use the bathroom before we went any further and I walked down the hall naked feeling for the bathroom door. After going I went back into the darkened hallway, found the open bedroom door, walked in, and slid into bed. I went into his arms and we kissed a few times before he entered me and we enjoyed each other. We both smelled like beer and it was so dark I couldn't even see his face. It didn't take long and after he held me for a few minutes I felt myself leaking a little and decided to clean up in the bathroom. Once again I felt my way along in the dark to the bathroom.

I remembered bumping into Darlene just I got near the bathroom door. We spoke to one another and she told me she was going to get into bed with Roy and stay the night. I finished in the bathroom and returned to the bedroom in the dark. I must have gotten turned around as I found myself at the wrong bedroom door, it was closed, so I took a step across to the other bedroom door that was open.

Then I was on my back after Dale applied a condom and we went at it like we had only practiced the first time. I didn't reach orgasm, but it was good anyway the second time around. We both fell asleep and in the morning I woke and found Dale asleep. I dressed and noticed two condom wrappers on the bedside table. I picked them up to throw away once I got to the bathroom. At least it was light enough to illuminate the hallway.

I got dressed and went to sit in the living room. A little while later Darlene and Roy came out of the bedroom completely dressed. They said good morning and then left to get breakfast. I walked back to the bedroom and woke Dale. We both felt a little hung over. He had a headache and I just felt lousy. Then I ran for the bathroom and heaved until my stomach ached. I had never that that much to drink in my life and vowed I would never do it again.

There was no way I had sex with another man. It just wasn't possible. But the paternity test said I was wrong. It really didn't matter what I remembered. Dale was not Casey's father. No court in the land would ever rule otherwise. Now, I faced the fact I wouldn't receive more money for Casey and that I was now a single mother who didn't even know who the father of my child was. I started to cry.

"Amy, why are you crying?" I heard my mother ask.

"I was on the phone with Mr. Thornton. The test results came back and Dale is not Casey's father," I sobbed.

My mother sat silent. It took me a while before I stopped crying and when I looked up at her face it was blank. As if she couldn't find an expression to put on it. Then she looked at me.

"There has to be a logical explanation. Honey, you need to think about that night and figure out what happened."

"Mom. I have so many times. I was intoxicated and did something stupid. Now, I don't even trust my own memory. I just went over it again in my head and I can't see how it could be anyone but Dale. I just can't."

"What are you going to tell Dale?"

"I don't know. I'll tell him I'm sorry. But, other than that I don't know. I can't tell him what I don't know myself."

I felt her pat my shoulder. "Honey regardless of who the father is you have a wonderful little girl. Things will get better. Your father and I are here for you, you know that."

"I know. I really don't know what I would do without you."

Dad came back from outside with Casey leading the way. When she saw me she ran to me yelling.

"Mama, Mama. We found a caterpillar. It's big and round. Gramp says it eats milkweed."

I took her into my arms and gave her a hug and kiss. Then I let her lead me outside to show me. She was so excited, I couldn't help but feel better. She was the joy of my life. Tomorrow was Saturday and I was working a full eight hours and would have Sunday off. I was sitting on the sofa next to the table with the phone on it when it rang. I picked it up--it was Roy.

"Amy, I have to work half a day tomorrow and then study the other half. But I'm free on Sunday. Are you free to go to lunch with me on Sunday? It would be just the three of us."

"You don't want my parents to look after Casey so we can go alone?"

"Not unless you want to, I'm fine with having peanut with us."

I felt kind of funny. I wanted to see Roy so we could talk. But I didn't want to sound as if I was just going to dump Casey off on my parents either. It was awkward for me even though I knew my parents wouldn't mind.

"We'll be ready. What time do you want to pick us up?"

"How about eleven fifteen."

"Good, see you then."

Why was it when I was feeling down Roy was so often the reason I felt good again? He was always so busy and yet he made time for me. Well, me and Casey. I turned to my folks.

"Roy is going to take Casey and me to lunch on Sunday. He didn't say where. But it sounds like you'll have some time off without the both of us here. What will do you do with a quiet house?"

"Don't you worry about that dear. Your father and I can always find ways to entertain ourselves. We've been at it for a lot of years. You just have a good time."

I looked at Casey. "Mr. Todd is going to take us out to eat. What do you think you should wear? How about that new dress I got you last week?"

"Mr. Todd likes you Mama. He likes me too. He will like that dress."

I smiled at my darling little girl. She was right, Roy did like both of us and we liked him.

Casey had just gone down for the night and I was sitting in the living room alone. My parents had called it a night and had gone upstairs. I was sipping a cola and reading a novel when the phone rang. I grabbed it immediately so it wouldn't wake my parents. Who would call this late?

"Amy, it's Darlene. Sorry to call you so late but I had to tell you. Roy is going to take me out Saturday night. I wasn't sure he would ask me but he finally did. I told him how sorry I was and that I never should have broken up with him. Maybe we'll get back together."

I was surprised in a way. Now I knew Roy was at least willing to talk with her. Then I decided it was a good opportunity to ask her about the party just before Roy left for the military.

"Darlene, I need to ask you something. My memory is so hazy and I'm not sure I'm remembering it correctly."