A Wonderful Mistake

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I went on to tell her what I remembered. Then waited for her to tell me what I had missed. She paused for quite a few seconds.

"Amy, promise me you will never tell anyone what I'm going to tell you."

"Darlene you know I keep our secrets. This will be no different."

"When you met me in the hallway outside the bathroom. I was just coming in from outside where I was with Bruce. Roy was waiting for me in the bedroom. That's why I still dressed."

"What were you doing with Bruce?"

"Making out and letting him feel me up. Then I gave him a hand job. He wanted to do more, but I wasn't so drunk I was going to let him lay me outside. I was so horny and I knew Roy would do me anyway, so I went in. That's when we met in the hallway."

"What did Roy say when you came in so late?"

"He didn't say anything as he was asleep. I took my clothes off and crawled in beside him and we went to sleep."

"So you didn't have sex with Roy that night?"

"No, I felt bad about it the next morning. It was to be the last time before he left. I was on the pill so he wasn't going to wear a condom. It was so stupid for me to get tangled up with Bruce. But I couldn't tell him we didn't do it. Look where that got me. Now promise me you won't ever tell Roy."

"Darlene, I won't. But I have a question for you."

"Okay."

"Was there any one else other than Dale, or Bruce that I might have had sex with that night?"

"No, Bruce left just as I came inside. Amy that's a strange question to ask."

I decided not to tell her Dale wasn't Casey's father. If she was going out with Roy on Saturday I didn't want her to know anything about it.

"I know, but I was just wondering if I was remembering things correctly."

"As far as I can remember both of us had far more to drink than we usually drank. I'm just glad I didn't get sick and heave all over the place."

We talked for a few minutes more before I hung up the phone. I felt for the first time I didn't want Darlene to start dating Roy. I was afraid she would hurt him again. But, Roy was a grown man and I knew he was going to be wary this time and that I should just stay out of it.

Frankly, I was surprised he was taking her out in a way, but maybe she had been persuasive enough, or perhaps simply seductive. So why was he taking me and Casey out on Sunday? Should I call him tomorrow and tell him I'd changed my mind. They were both friends and to be truthful I valued Roy far more than Darlene.

I turned off the light and headed for bed, stopping to check Casey on the way. There had been entirely too much drama for me today and seeing her angelic face relaxed me. I needed sleep, but I was troubled in a way I never expected to be--someone had impregnated me and I didn't know who. An immaculate conception was obviously out of the question.

I was busy at work the next day and it helped pass the day. When I got home I relaxed with Casey by taking her out for a walk to a local park. She had fun playing with a few other kids while I visited with a few of the moms. We made it home for supper and to back our regular routine. After I put Casey down for the night I returned to the living room and sat down. My dad looked at me.

"You mother told me about the phone call from your lawyer. We just want to you know that since you won't be receiving any additional support for Casey we can help out. So, don't worry, it will work out."

"Thanks Dad. I know I can depend on you and mom. Darlene called me last night after you went to bed and Roy is taking her out tonight. I took the opportunity to ask her some questions about who was at the party the night I got pregnant. She didn't know anything more than I did. So I'm stuck. I don't know what to say other than I'm lost and have nowhere else to go."

I heard footsteps coming from the kitchen.

"Amy, you're just going to have to accept you won't ever remember exactly what happened. Just leave it be and don't drive yourself crazy with something you have no control over," my mother offered as she walked up.

"Mom, someday I'm going to have to tell Casey I don't know who her father is."

"Honey all you can do is love her. She'll accept it in time."

Sunday morning came and I waited to get up from bed until I heard Casey come into my bedroom. She climbed up onto the bed. I kept my eyes closed pretending to be asleep. She sat for a few seconds and then placed her head near mine.

"Mama, time to get up. Bear and I are up."

I opened my eyes slowly and smiled. "Honey, did bear wake you up?"

"No Mama, I woke bear up. He was still sleeping like you."

I pulled her close and tickled her. "Next time you let bear sleep. And me too!"

She giggled and laughed. My little darling always made me feel good.

The morning went fast enough and at eleven I dressed Casey in her dress, white sneakers, and braided her hair. She looked as cute as could be. We walked downstairs and sat down on the sofa and put together a small puzzle. A knock came on the door and mom opened it to let Roy in. I was surprised to see Roy without a sling on his arm.

Casey ran to him and he picked her up. "Hey peanut. Are you ready to go?"

"Mr. Todd your arm doesn't have a Band-Aid anymore."

"Casey you are one observant little girl. Who made you so smart?

"Mama."

We all laughed, though she had melted my heart. We bid my parents goodbye and got into Roy's car. I sat with Casey on my lap in the front seat after I bucked my seat belt. I didn't like doing this, but putting her in the back seat never worked as the seat belts weren't designed for little children. We went to a nice restaurant not all that far away that I hadn't been to in years.

We had a wonderful meal and Roy and I visited a little, but most of the time we doted on Casey. The admiring looks we got from other patrons made me feel good. I'm sure most of them thought we were a married couple with an adorable daughter. I wished it were true. Casey soaked up the attention like a sponge and I was amazed Roy was able to get her to try bites of things she never would for me.

We finished up with a huge slice of chocolate cake we split three ways. Casey's face showed she had really liked it--smears of chocolate covering her chin, nose, and cheeks. I happened to glance at Roy and he was looking at me with a smile that said so much. I felt myself blush as if I were a school girl with a crush. He looked at me with soft, tender eyes, and placed his hand on mine was we watched Casey eat. I felt myself grow giddy as my heart beat harder. I had never done or felt this way this before with him.

We returned to my parents' home and he told them he was celebrating not having to wear a sling and that he'd been given a clean bill of health. All he had to do was continue with some exercises to insure a full range of motion for another two weeks. Roy stayed for about an hour and then prepared to leave, turning to me as he reached the door.

"Amy, would you come over to see me after Casey is down for the night? Or, I can come over here. I want to talk with you a little bit more."

"Sure, I can come over for a little bit. But, I don't want to be gone too long."

"Bye peanut. See you later alligator."

Casey beamed, "While croc dial."

Roy had been telling her that for the last two weeks. She was so cute. We all laughed, then I watched as Roy walked home wondering what he wanted to talk about. He never mentioned Darlene the whole time we were at dinner--not that I didn't appreciate it.

With Casey down and sleeping I walked over and knocked on Roy's door. He wore a broad smile as he opened the door.

"Please, come in."

I walked in and we went to sit down on the sofa. This was the first time I had been in his house this late at night since the night I got pregnant. It was strange to think this house had influenced my life so much. All of the time shooting baskets, visiting with his parents, the party before he left for the military, and all of the recent events since the accident seemed to have taken place here.

"Amy, I'm going to keep this short and sweet. I took Darlene out last night for dinner. She told me she was sorry and wanted to resume our relationship--I told her I wasn't interested. She was unhappy, but I told her that our time had passed. She asked me why and I told her I was interested in someone else. She accepted that answer and when we parted it seemed she understood what I told her wasn't going to change."

I looked at Roy with a smile, "I have to be honest. I told you I didn't want to be in the middle of the two of you. It was the truth, but I didn't think she would be good for you. I think you made the right decision, though I hope you never tell her I said so."

"I won't, I promise."

I looked around the room for a few seconds feeling unsure of what else to say. I was tempted to ask him who he was interested in, but decided it was probably someone at school, and that I shouldn't be nosey--he would tell me when he was ready. Then I felt the need to use the bathroom.

"Roy, I'll be back in a minute."

I got up and headed down the hallway to the bathroom. As I walked I noticed how dark the hallway was and it triggered a flashback of the night of the party. I had walked into the bathroom and closed the door after turning on the light. I finished, washed my hands, opened the door, and turning off the light before opening the door. I was momentarily lost as my eyes adjusted to the darkness. Funny that I remembered that now. I stood for a few seconds and noticed the bedroom doors were directly opposite one another. I walked back to the living room and sat down on the sofa with Roy.

"Roy, I need to ask you a question. I know it will be seem incredibly personal and something I shouldn't ask, but I really need to know."

Okay, I'll answer if I can.

"Roy, did you have sex with Darlene the night of the party before you left for the Marines?"

He paused, "Yes, one time."

"Unprotected sex?"

"Yes, Darlene was on the pill. We didn't need to use a condom."

"Thanks for answering my question."

Roy looked puzzled. I got up and headed for the door. He got up with me and we paused as I opened the door, I looked at him, leaned over, and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

"What was that for?"

"That was for dinner and for making Casey so happy. I'm so lucky to have a friend as good as you are."

He smiled, "You know you brighten my life up a lot. Casey does too. I look forward to the day when I have a daughter like her. I know how proud you are of her and you have every right to be. You're a wonderful mother."

I stepped back out onto the steps and walked across the street and went inside. I now only had one more person to talk to, and I wasn't especially looking forward to it. But, I had to apologize anyway and needed to set things straight.

It wasn't too late and I decided to make the call thinking I would sleep better if I got it out of the way. The house was quiet as I picked up the phone. I knew the number by heart, dialed, and felt the anxiety build. I listened as the phone rang--it was picked up on the fourth ring.

"Hello. This is Dale."

"Dale this is Amy. I need to talk with you."

"Okay. I think I know what it's about."

"First off, before you say anything. I want to apologize. I didn't know you wasn't Casey's father. And to make sure you understand. I never went out behind your back and knowingly had sex with another man. So, I can't tell you who the father is at this point. I don't know myself. I know that sounds lame, but it's the truth, I don't know."

"Amy, I don't know what to think. All kinds of things have run through my head since I got the test results back. I wasn't expecting it to say anything other than I was Casey's father. I was only trying to stall sending money to you for a while until I figured some things out with my girlfriend. When she asked me if a paternity test had been done I told her no. She insisted on it and I gave in. I know that's low and I'm sorry for being such a creep. I know you can use the money for Casey."

"Dale, I thought you would think I was lying."

"Amy, if there was one thought that never came into my mind it was that. You have never lied to me over all the years we've known one another. That's why I was so confused, I couldn't see you doing that to me."

"Dale, I need you to answer one question for me. The night of the party before Roy left for the service do you remember how many times we had intercourse that night?"

"I was buzzed, but I remember, it was one time. I had tried to put a condom on before you laid down and wound up tearing it. I got out another one and put it on, then we went at it. I was too tired to go again."

"You're positive only one time."

"Yes, I'm sure. You was really good that night. I fell asleep as soon as we was finished and you was with me in the morning. That's why I was never sure what happened. The condom didn't break, or slip off from what I could remember, and you was with me for the entire night."

"Thank you for telling me."

"Amy, I want you to know I'm not mad at you for anything. I wasn't mature enough to handle being married and having a child to support. I just got engaged yesterday, and frankly when the test results came back saying I wasn't Casey's father I was happy as it made things better with my fiancée and me."

"Congratulations Dale, I hope everything works out for you."

"Amy, I hope things work out for you. Please take care."

I hung up the phone with a smile. Things were going to work out just fine. I knew who Casey's father was. I was overjoyed as I went into the bathroom to wash up and then stepped into Casey's room. I stood and watched her--my little angel had bear tucked in under her arm.

She had a father, only he didn't know she was his. Boy was everyone ever going to be surprised. I was so keyed up I didn't know what to do, who to tell first. It took all my will power not to start running around to tell those who should know starting with my parents. I wanted to wake them from their sleep and have them rejoice with me. But I knew who I had to tell first.

I went to bed and tried to sleep. I tossed and turned for hours with excitement. Slowly it dawned on me, I was at peace with myself. I had been stupid for getting so intoxicated, but I hadn't done anything wrong intentionally. Finally, I felt asleep exhausted with all that had happened.

CHAPTER SIX AND THE FATHER IS

I woke the next morning feeling wonderful. I got Casey up and started breakfast just as my parents came downstairs. Even with the missed hours of sleep I felt on top of the world.

"Well what has gotten into you?" My mother asked.

"Oh, I have some good news to share with you and dad later on. But, I need to talk with Roy first. Would you keep an eye on Casey for a minute while I go over to his house?"

"No of course not. Go ahead. But why are you going to Roy this early?"

"I need to tell him I think I know who Casey's father is. He may be able to help confirm it as he was at the party."

I walked across the street and was just about to knock on the door when it opened and Roy stepped out.

"Hey good morning," I said enthusiastically.

"Amy, you look beautiful this morning. Look I have to get going, I have something important to do. Can I catch up with you this afternoon?"

"Roy, I have something important to discuss with you."

He stepped to me and looked into my eyes with a broad smile, I couldn't take my eyes away. I felt his arms come around me and draw me close. His touch sent me into another place as if I was in a soft, comforting haze. I looked up as our lips met, sweet and warm, cool and firm all at the same time. My heart drummed in my ears as I placed my arms around his waist and pushed into him with firm contact as our lips remained locked. I felt a little weak as our lips slowly parted, the passion lingered even as I stood looking into his warm, tender blue eyes. I wanted to get his opinion, but his kiss and embrace had completely melted me, my mind swirling in disarray. When his lips met mine my reaction was instantaneous, instinctive--I had wanted that kiss so much and didn't know it.

"Amy, I know you have to work until three today. I'll come and see you when you get home, I promise. I love you."

I stood there in a daze as he got into his car and left. I still felt his arms around me, I still tingled from his kiss. What had just happened? He told me he loved me. Damn! He told me he loved me!

I walked back across the street and into the house and sat down at the table with Casey. I looked at her and gave her a gentle kiss.

"Amy did you see Roy? Did you talk with him?" I heard my mother ask from somewhere distant. I tried to focus my attention and get a sense of what had just happened. I was the girl he dumped Darlene for, I had to be.

"Mom, Roy told me he loves me and left. I didn't even have a chance to ask him."

I felt her hand on my shoulder. "Amy, I would have thought you had figured out weeks ago he felt that way about you. A man doesn't spend that much time with you if he doesn't care about you."

"Mom, he says he loves me and will see me as soon as I get home from work."

"Well then, I guess you had better get home on time. No dawdling today looking at clothes for Casey."

I don't remember much about going to work. I know I went, but I don't remember what I did. I got home at five after three and went inside to get Casey. I didn't see Roy's car in his driveway when I walked in--he told me he would see me when I got home. I walked to the window and saw Roy on the sidewalk almost to the door. I rushed to the door and opened it, my heart beating so hard I thought it would burst out of my chest.

He smiled. "How was your day?"

"You know I've been excited all day. After you kissed me and told me you love me I couldn't stop thinking about you and why I didn't recognize you did."

I didn't see, or hear our parents come in from the backyard. All I saw was Roy looking at me as if I were the only woman in the whole world. His eyes melted me again as I looked into them, my hands moving about not knowing where to go.

"Roy, I don't know. All I could think of was what you said to me this morning and our kiss. I'm happy, confused, excited, and happy. I...mean...have I said happy already."

"Yes, I think you did. Amy, I know this is sudden. But, I think I know how you really feel about me, about us. So, I decided it was time to do something about it and not waste time diddling."

He took me to the sofa and I sat down thinking he would sit next to me. Instead, he kneeled down in front of me and looked into my eyes and took my hands into his.

"We have been friends for all these years. We've both gone through some tough times, but we've always had one another to lean on. Over these last few months we've come to know one another in ways we never would have imagined before. As we ate lunch yesterday I saw how we formed a family, the tree of us. I've never seen you happier, I felt the same way. I lay in bed last night thinking I want you to be in my life forever. Amy Susan Halstead will you marry me?"

His hands left mine and when I looked down he held a sparkling diamond ring before me. I had my gaze on the ring as my mind tried to process his words. I swept my gaze to his, they revealed a tenderness equal to that I saw when he kissed me this morning. I felt tears start to form and his face grew hazy. I swallowed hard, seeing the words in my mind.

Then I said as clearly as I could. "Yes, a thousand times yes!"

He slipped the ring onto my finger, then I noticed our parents standing behind him with my Mom holding Casey. I stood as we shared a firm kiss. I wiped the tears from my eyes as Roy looked at me.

"I wasn't entirely sure you would say yes."

I took his hands into mine and squeezed them firmly as I looked at him. "How could I not say yes to the father of my child?"