All Comments on 'ADHD, Sex, & Me: Taking Initiative'

by doe_a_deer

Sort by:
  • 3 Comments
illuminatio2dragonisilluminatio2dragonisover 2 years ago

The reason why people with ADHD can't always concentrate that well is because they have a million ideas floating inside their brain at the same time. It is not a mental disorder in that sense and this is quite rude to write or say. People with ADHD are usually the creative writers, musicians, poets, artists of all sorts.

Our culture depends on this as you call it " mental disorder" which is in reality probably the other way round the average human only using 10 % of their brain.

Lovecraft_LoreLovecraft_Loreover 2 years ago

5 stars

Yeah. Neurodivergent is much more positive than terms like cray-cray or mental disturbed.

On the other hand, "I'm more upset with myself for not thinking about your needs. About our relationship." is the most ADHD dating statement ever written.

doe_a_deerdoe_a_deerover 2 years agoAuthor

Hi! ADHD person here who has taken university level courses in psychology. ADHD is categorized by the DSM-5 as a disorder, and it even has disorder in the name. I'm not saying it's a bad thing at all! This character is clearly loved by her partner and very successful in her field as evidenced by the fact that she is working on a Chemistry journal publication. She's just coming to terms with the idea that her brain works differently than other people's. It's hard to believe that you've been "normal" all your life and then discover that it's not true and that other people noticed and knew that you were not "normal" your whole life. Also, it's a myth that people only use 10% of their brains.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous