After The Affair

Story Info
Karma, they say it's a bitch.
19.3k words
4.18
122.5k
123
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Cagivagurl
Cagivagurl
3,565 Followers

I need to say a big thank you to the three wonderful people who helped with editing this story on my behalf. Charlie, Robyn and Randi, who all put in a stellar effort to try and make my ramblings appear at least mildly sensible.

After another long day at the office, Liam walked in the front door, looking as exhausted as he felt. Piper, his wife, gazed up at him lovingly from the sofa, "Wow, you look shot, Sweets; hard day was it?"

He nodded, slowly wandering in for his welcome home kiss, "Yes, afraid so, Luv; it was a shocker."

Leaning down for the kiss that seemed to make it all worthwhile, Piper reached out her arms dragging him down onto her lap, "Sorry, sweets, you go and have a shower and I'll heat up your dinner."

They finished their lingering kiss, and Liam sighed, "Thanks, Luv."

As he slid off her lap onto the sofa, she pulled affectionately on his head kissing again, this time with real passion, their tongues welcoming the other home. The kiss ah that sweet succulent kiss, it was like mulberry wine, like sweet apple cider, ice cream on a hot summer's day. The kiss lingered, swirled, their lips joined, so damn sweet. Piper had this way of making the world seem a better place, just one simple little kiss and suddenly all was well with the universe. It was her gift.

With the delicious taste of her lips on his, he wandered off to shower. As he slipped under the steaming stinging jets he shivered; not because of the temperature, but the façade he put on for his loving doting wife. Fuck he really hated his job. It took all his will to keep going in every day. After nearly fifteen years of service, he expected better, to be valued. Unfortunately, the corporation he worked for didn't see it quite the same way. He was nothing more than another cog in a giant industrial wheel. As part of their legal team, he worked as their senior corporate attorney overseeing mergers and acquisitions. At the moment, he was snowed under and it showed. He felt drained, constantly stressed. He was overseeing a multimillion-dollar acquisition that right at this moment, sat precariously balanced on a knife's edge, and at any given moment could crumble, and take with it literally millions of dollars.

The one driving factor that kept him going in day after day, was his family. His desire to make sure they had everything they could ever want.

Piper was pretty overworked herself; her hours were almost as long as his. She worked as an account manager for a major franchise. The difference being she loved her job, whereas he hated his. For the last eighteen months, he had been on the verge of throwing in his resignation and giving it all away. Shit his resignation letter greeted him every morning when he logged on, it was his screen saver.

He loved the law, he studied not to be a corporate lawyer, but practice real law, to help people. This... this miscarriage of justice just happened. Piper fell pregnant early in their marriage, and it forced his hand. He had to do something, money was tight she he took the first job on offer. At the time he convinced himself it was just a steppingstone, and as soon as Piper was settled, he planned to give it up and move into a real job, saving people, not companies.

Unfortunately, that's not the way things worked out. Piper had major complications after their daughter Rachel was born. The birth was so traumatic that doctors advised him she might not survive another birth. A tubal ligation was suggested, but Liam, ever the gentleman offered to have a vasectomy instead. Piper had a fit at that suggestion and refused, "No Liam, if god forbid something happened, I want you to be able to have a baby with your new partner."

As much as he argued, there was no deterring her, and she went through the procedure. It was a sad day as they had always talked about and planned to have a large family.

Perhaps that's why they spared no expense on their new daughter Rachel. While they didn't exactly spoil her, she wanted for nothing.

There were other complications from the birth, it was nearly eight years before she was able to go back to work. What that meant... it meant he had to keep going, and by then he was well settled in himself, promotion and big money were on offer and he grabbed it all with both hands. Of course, once you're locked into that big money lifestyle you need to keep feeding it, when he looked back, he couldn't believe how easily corrupted he was. How easily he cast aside his morals. With each passing day it ate away at his resolve, at his principles.

It was only lately that it really started to bite. He felt the urge to practice what he learned, to do something real, help people, make life better. The desire grew exponentially, the only thing holding him back was Piper and Rachel. Okay, Rachel now lived away from home as she studied at Otago University, but she still needed money. In fact, she needed a lot of it. He and Piper had long ago committed to helping Rachel, and in doing so made a pact that Rachel would not have to take out student loans, they would cover all her costs. The joys of being an only child I suppose.

Rachel was a real go-getter herself and although she let her parents pay for her tuition and accommodation fees she worked after hours as a waitress to earn her own money.

Liam felt the weight of expectation, so he kept going in. He hated the idea of letting anyone down, and his amazing work ethic was one of his redeeming features. His motto had always been if he was going to do it, he was going to give it his all.

As Liam soaked under the high-pressure needle jets of the shower, Piper warmed up his dinner and poured him a scotch. Lately, she worried more than ever about Liam: he worked too hard, the hours he put in at the moment were killing him. She could see it, but the few times she tried to talk to him about it he brushed her away.

She set his dinner on the table with his scotch and poured herself a glass of wine.

Liam strolled out in his casual attire and flopped into the chair at the table, "Oh god, that feels so much better."

Worried, she smiled across at him, and rasped, "Sweets, you need to slow down; you're not twenty-five anymore. You need to look after yourself. I'm worried."

Gazing back at her, he let a loving smile settle. "It's alright, Luv, don't worry about me. This acquisition will be all over soon, and things will go back to normal, at least for a while." He tried to keep it light, because he didn't want her to worry. "How was your day?" he enquired, hoping to change the topic.

She winced, "Not so good. Everybody's worried by the new management team. There's lots of rumours circulating at the moment about layoffs and redundancy's."

Liam sipped his scotch, "Layoffs... wow, that's never a good sign, although I suppose with a new company taking over, they will want to make a statement, keep people on their toes."

She nodded, "Suppose so, but it's making it really uncomfortable. Apparently, there is going to be a big announcement as early as Friday."

He took a big bite of his steak, "Friday, huh, do you think your job's safe?"

She grimaced, "God, I hope so, I have put too much into that company to get tossed aside now."

Liam swallowed his mouthful, "They'll never let you go, I was only joking."

She shook her head, "No, Sweets, I am worried, the gossip is really getting to me."

"Relax, Honey, you're far too valuable."

She blew him a kiss as he sipped his scotch, "You always make me feel better, thank you for the misplaced flattery."

Following the meal, Piper moved into the den for her nightly telephone catch up with Rachel, leaving Liam to watch the late news and finish his drink.

Their lives seemed to be so busy lately; they were like the proverbial ships passing in the night. When Piper went into the bedroom, Liam was already asleep.

The next few nights became even tenser. Piper became increasingly agitated by the growing levels of gossip. Liam tried to get home early every night for the rest of the week, but it was impossible. Every night he found her in an ever-deepening funk.

Friday, he called her, but all his calls went to voicemail, even the front desk wasn't taking calls. Putting aside his concerns, he left early, well, early for him, which meant getting home at seven.

He found Piper curled up on the sofa with an empty bottle of wine, bawling her eyes out. She was on the phone, and as he approached, he realised she was talking to Rachel.

She spotted him and the tears that had been trickling down her cheeks turned into a torrent, "They let me go!" she wailed, "The bastards made me redundant, no conversation, no interview, nothing, just clean out your desk. Bloody security watched me while I emptied my desk, they took my phone and my laptop before escorting me outside like some god damned criminal."

Liam sat down beside her pulling her into a cuddle. He heard Rachel say, "I'll call you tomorrow, Mum."

He could see she was drunk, and all he could do was hold her.

The next few weeks were horrible as Piper applied for job after job. Jobs she was far too qualified for, but the rejections kept piling up. It got worse with every passing day. Liam worried, seeing her slip into this deep depressing world of fear and self-loathing.

"I'm washed up, nobody wants me, I'm too bloody old," she moaned.

"Don't be silly, Hon." he soothed, "it will just take time."

She became bitter, angry at the world. She felt betrayed and cast aside. He became a little concerned for her wellbeing, she stayed inside, locked away from the world as if she was scared to participate. He decided he had to do something to get her back out in the real world, unfortunately she just ignored him, well that was until he made a silly throw away comment. He laughingly said, "You need to get out of the house honey, you're getting fat."

It was stupid; normally he could joke with her about such things, but not at the moment and he should have known better. She was a fitness fanatic while she worked. The old company had their own gym, but now all she did was mope around the house, the weight of every rejection letter weighing that little bit heavier on her shoulders.

His jibe about getting fat was the last thing she needed, but it did get her outside. She made it her habit to walk down to the local markets.

At first, she just walked around the different stalls, picking up fresh fruit and vegetables for dinner, but as the days passed, she became friends with the stall holders and soon she found herself sitting having coffee and talking to the stall holders and marketeers. One guy in particular, Vince, who managed all the stalls, knew everybody. He was what most would describe as a loveable rogue with the gift of the gab. He noticed Piper immediately, and not just because of her good looks. He noted her sad face. He took it upon himself to chat with her every day, the chatting though quickly turned into flirting.

"You cheeky bugger," she chided him when he commented on her sexy legs, or the tight-fitting t-shirts, or how sexy she looked after just coming out of the hair salon.

Vince was the tonic she needed at that moment, and although she saw how dangerous he was, she soon fell to his smooth banter and worldly charms. She enjoyed the flirting, it boosted her ego and gave her a real lift just when she needed it most.

She wanted more than anything to find another job; her life had revolved around that job, especially after Rachel left home, but it was so hard at her age. Just getting an interview was hard. She took special care with her makeup, ensuring she looked as young and professional as she could. She made the most of her slim, sexy figure. She might be forty-eight, but she still looked good, she still got lots of admiring glances and comment.

In her old office, lots of the men flirted with her and she did enjoy that aspect of the job. She was an easy-going extrovert who loved to talk to people. It was why she was so good at her job: she talked and listened to people, she solved problems, and beingmade redundant was the worst experience of her life.

Liam noticed the change in her after she started her daily visits down to the markets. Her mood lifted and she started prattling on about the people, the friends she made, and, of course, Vince's name came up occasionally, but it didn't worry him. He was safe in his world knowing how strongly their bond was. Fidelity was something he never worried about.

Piper's visits to the market became longer; she stopped for morning tea with Lisa from the flower shop, and often had lunch with Vanessa who owned a little gemstone and jewellery stall. It was the one she loved the most, and her house now overflowed with crystals and gemstones. She knew them all by name, their metaphysical properties, the colours, she was after only a few weeks already an expert.

Of course, no day was complete without a long chat with Vince. She loved his easy-going nature, his flirty comments and byplay. In truth, she was a bit smitten with the big guy. He was a little older but still very handsome, and his slightly greying hair only added to his mystique. HisEnglish accent helped. She loved the way words rolled off his tongue, his bright blue eyes twinkling as he had her onabout being the sexiest woman he knew.

He was full of it, but she loved it. One day she tripped on the pavement curb and he caught her in his arms, saving her from skinned knees. Instantly, she felt his muscular strength, he held her easily and as he pulled her up, she slipped into his arms, "Easy, Luv," he whispered in her ear. "we wouldn't want you damaging those beautiful pins, now would we."

She slapped his arm playfully, "Thanks, Handsome, but I'm afraid I'm getting past it. Nobody wants to employ me."

"Then they're bloody idiots then aren't they... gorgeous, sexy woman like you."

Piper smiled, like Liam, Vince always managed to make her feel better. After that day she looked at him differently: at least ten years older than she herself, he had the physique of a much younger man. He obviously worked out. Their flirtation grew, and it wasn't unusual for him to hold her elbow when guiding her through the stalls. It was when his hands moved to her arse that she should have said something, but it was on a day when she felt particularly low and depressed. Her mood was so dark when he led her through the stalls towards the coffee cart and his hand slid down her back to rest on her arse, she didn't complain. She knew straight away she should have, especially when he gave her cheeks a squeeze.

Strangely, she just smiled. In all her years she never once even contemplated cheating on Liam, but Vince's hand felt comforting, warm, she made no complaints, she actually felt good about it, felt desired, wanted, and let it rest there.

It was as they sat together, and she complained about another rejection letter and explained she felt like she was now well and truly on the scrap heap of life, that he laughed loudly, "Well fuck them, you don't need them, go into business for yourself. Give the world the finger."

Taken aback, she groaned, "I don't have that much money, I mean I got a decent redundancy check, but not enough to go out on my own... anyway, what would I do?"

He sniggered. "I shouldn't be saying this, but Vanessa is going to sell her stall; she hasn't told a lot of people, but she has cancer. It's not terminal, but she is however, going to be hospitalised for quite a while."

Piper sighed. "The poor dear, what's wrong?"

"She has ovarian cancer and needs a hysterectomy, then chemotherapy. Her prognosis is good, but she won't be able to work for a while or run her stall."

Piper, for the first time in a long time, perked up. "How much does she want for it?"

"Honey, if it was you, because she likes you, I reckon you could get the whole thing for twelve grand."

"But I don't know the first thing about how to run it," she whined.

"Darling," He cooed in his smooth cockney accent, "she will teach you and, of course, I'll help out. I can help you set up, I'm here every day."

They sipped their coffees and she nibbled on her croissant, "God, at least it would be something, and I do get on with everybody down here."

"Oh, come on!" he sighed, "Everybody loves you and you already know more than Vanessa did when she started. We could go back and talk to her right now, strike while the iron's hot."

Wiping the last of the croissant away, she nodded, "Are you sure she won't be angry?"

"Darlin, she will be bloody wrapped; she wants out so she can focus on her health. You'd be doing her a bloody favour."

As they walked back towards Vanessa's stall, Vince's hand again slid down to rest on the curve of her arse and she felt his fingers tighten in his grasp, his strong manly deodorant seeping into her nostrils.

Vanessa, as Vince suggested, was elated. She got on so well with Piper and she had stalled the sale process because she couldn't stand the thought of it going to somebody she didn't know or even like. Selling to Piper felt right.

They quickly agreed on a price, but there was so much to learn and do. She needed to fit her car with a tow bar, she needed to learn to back a trailer, to set it up in place. God, she hadn't even told Liam; he might fly off the handle. Shit what if he got mad, he had been so overworked and tired lately.

That night she made sure Liam was going to be home on time, she cooked his favourite roast lamb and had it all ready for his arrival.

He looked dead on his feet when he walked in and she rushed to him, grabbing his briefcase and manoeuvring him to the kitchen counter. She passed him his scotch and raised her glass of wine, "Welcome home, Sweets."

They clinked glasses and she stated, "Honey, I have some news; you go, and shower and dinner will be ready."

He looked confused, but picked up on her happy mood and that in itself lifted him. Under the steaming shower he wondered what the hell it could be? He smiled, "She must have got a job... 'Oh, thank the lucky stars,' he muttered under his breath.

As he walked back into the dining area, he couldn't help but notice how excited Piper was. She looked bubbly, a warm smile covered her sexy face, her makeup was perfect, her hair swept back in a cute bun, her gorgeous long sexy neck exposed to his feasting eyes. For the first time in a long time, he felt the faint stirring of an erection.

As they ate, he kept staring at her. She looked excited and yet anxious at the same time.

Finally, she couldn't wait. "Liam, I have news."

He chuckled. "I sort of figured that."

"I have done something, I hope you'll be happy and before you say anything, yes I know I should have spoken to you first."

He began to feel uneasy, "Don't beat about the bush, Piper, let's get to the point."

She grimaced as the words fell hesitantly from her succulent lips, "I brought a business!"

"You did what?" he snapped, choking on his food.

She chewed anxiously on her bottom lip. "Do you remember me telling you about my friend Vanessa? She runs the gem and jewellery stall at the Victoria park market; well, she has cancer and has to sell, so today I brought it."

Trying to stifle his anger, he muttered, "And you didn't think to call me... or wait until we could talk about it?"
Cringing at his obvious displeasure, she muttered, "I'm sorry... It was a spur of the moment thing. I wanted to help her out."

With a resigned sigh he hissed angrily, "And how much did this bloody spur of the moment decision cost us?"

"Twelve thousand dollars," she spluttered worriedly.

He didn't say it, but his first thought was, thank god, twelve grand, we can afford to lose that, "So what are you going to be selling?" he asked, his voice softening, realising if worst came to worst, they could absorb that loss.

Cagivagurl
Cagivagurl
3,565 Followers