After The Affair

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Mathew, the senior partner at the firm replied, "Very well then, you leave me no alternative." He slid an envelope across his desk. "This is your severance package. We have decided your services are no longer required."

Shocked, Liam opened the envelope, it was a lot of money. He slipped the papers back in the envelope and stood. He reached out his hand to shake. "Wish I could say it's been fun, but that would be a lie. Good luck for the future," he said before walking out.

It was only ten in the morning. He got the mid-town bus out to the Victoria markets. When he walked in, Piper was serving customers. She gave him a quizzical frown. "What are you doing here?"

She handed the wrapped gift to the woman customer, along with her change. Liam leaned across the counter and passed her the envelope. Scared, she opened it up and read the first couple of paragraphs, "Oh my god." She bellowed, "Christ almighty, is that bottom line correct?"

Liam chuckled. "Yeah, seems they were pretty keen to get rid of me."

He glanced at her. "Would you like to have lunch with me?"

She grinned. "Let me lock up."

As they walked down between the other stalls, Ariel came wandering down the lane. When she saw them walking hand in hand, she winced and Liam frowned. She looked uncomfortable. He felt Piper's hand squeeze tighter in his, they stopped, and Piper took the lead, "Hi, Ariel, how are you?"

Ariel smiled thinly, "Good, actually, I have a new job."

Piper frowned. "A new job, huh, where is it?"

"I have taken over from old Vince. When he left, they offered me the job, well temporarily anyway."

Piper leaned in close and they hugged, "Congratulations," Piper whispered.

"Thanks, it means I have to balance things a bit better, but the money is great. I can afford breakfast cereal."

Liam, as uncomfortable as he felt, leaned in for a kiss as well. "Congrats on the job; it must take up a lot of time."

She smiled, her mouth tight. "Yeah, no free lunches now."

He nodded understanding her insinuation, "Well, you deserve it."

Piper jumped in. "She sure does." She glanced at him. "Well, don't just stand there, tell her your news."

"Oooohh, sounds interesting," Arial purred.

Liam chuckled. "I got the sack."

Piper smacked him on the arm. "Idiot, you did not; the company didn't like the idea of him helping out at the law office, so they made him redundant. He's going out on his own."

Ariel jumped into his arms, her feet swinging in the air as she hung off him. "Oh god, that is such good news, I'm so happy for you."

As Liam let her down, he laughed. "Considering I have just been fired I feel pretty good. Scared about the future, but excited."

Ariel bit her lip as if pondering something, "You know, if you were to set up nearby and your rates were okay, we could refer clients who need more than advice. We could help each other out."

He nodded, "You know, that is a great idea, I'll have to see if I can find an office."

Ariel nodded. "While you're looking, we have some space at the back we only use for storage. You could work from there until you have a real office."

When he laughed, she added, "Plus, it would mean we could lean on you a little when we need advice."

Piper watched the interaction and saw the look in Ariels eyes. She was in love... oh god she was so attractive, and so young, how the hell would she compete."

With final kisses they wandered off to get their lunch. Sitting at a corner table at the Tapas bar, Liam sprouted, "Piper, how would you feel about a holiday?"

She pouted enquiringly. "Where would we go?"

He shrugged. "I don't care, we haven't been on holiday for so long, I would love to put all this behind us and just spend days in each other's arms. What about Rarotonga? We could lie in the sun, drink cocktails and spend the nights making love."

She sighed. "Oh god, that sounds heavenly, but what about the shop?"

"Well, I figured we should employ somebody. You need some help, you work seven days a week and that's not healthy. I need my wife, at least for the weekends, or at least one day."

He left her back at the shop and set off in search of Ariel, he found her chatting with the guys in the law office. When she saw him walk in, she flinched. It still felt raw, uncomfortable to be around him.

He smiled warmly, though, as he interrupted. "Ariel, could we talk for a minute please?"

She nodded and they walked off looking for a secluded spot. Once alone, he mumbled, "What happened... where have you been? Did I do something to offend you?"

"No, Liam, god no, but I realised that I don't like being the other woman, and Piper's my friend. I like you a lot and if you weren't married, I would be clinging on for dear life, but Piper is my friend, as well, and when I look back on my behaviour, I don't like what I see."

He pulled her close for a cuddle, "God, you are such a wonderful girl, If I wasn't married, you would be sick of me chasing you. Thank you, Ariel, thank you for lots of things, but mostly thanks for being you."

She smiled, kissed him and whispered, "Sorry, Liam, but our affair is finished."

She turned and walked away, almost out of earshot she turned and called back, "But our friendship has just begun."

Poor old Vince had a growing list of problems, out of work, no reference. He was a resourceful guy, he had contacts. He always managed to get by, but this couldn't have happened at a worse time. He had bills to pay and some of the male stall holders were angry. They had just found out from Ariel that they had been getting ripped off, and several were looking for blood.

He remembered his dear old mum telling him, "Never fuck with gypsy's son." Fucking market people, they were a weird lot. He finally got some good news; an old mate called about a job, and it looked promising. With a smile on his face, he walked out to his car. What he didn't see was the burly bloke standing amongst the trees, but he sure as hell felt the thump as the crowbar slammed him in the back of the neck. He was unconscious before he hit the ground, which was a good thing, it meant he never felt the severe kicking he received.

His assailant was never uncovered, but the newspapers picked up on the rumours and the story they printed painted a rather dark picture of the roguish Vince. He was going to struggle to find work again.

Karma, they say it's a bitch.