After the End Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You're probably right," I conceded. "I'll take care of it."

"Good," Iris said, passing me the flask. "You might not realize, but Avery's grown a lot since he's been with you, Delta. And you're not such a tragedy to be around yourself, these days." She shoved my shoulder affectionately.

"You're too sweet, Lima," I said with a smile, using her nickname in turn.

We finished the vodka and talked until the moon rose. With these two, and the alcohol in my brain, I could almost imagine we were back on base, before the war, before my last relationship fractured across the battle lines. When I'd expected to simply follow one promotion to the next and be happy with what I had.

It was late when we returned to Fort Laurel. Avery was asleep, but I didn't want him disappearing again in the morning, so I sat on the edge of the bed beside him and said his name.

"Yeah," he murmured sleepily.

"Hey." I reached for him in the dark and found his shoulder. When I thought of the real fears he was battling, the pain in his voice when he'd confessed how much he needed me, it was easy to be gentle. "I'm sorry I snapped at you last night. I know you're doing the best you can, and me demanding more isn't going to help." I gave his shoulder a reassuring squeeze. "It's ok if you can't talk to me. I'm still here either way. As long as you know that, we'll figure out the rest."

I heard him take a slow breath. I wasn't sure if that was enough to soothe him, so I kept going.

"My friends pointed out that I've been less...guarded, lately, and it might be bothering you that Vik has been talking to me. From my perspective, it's absolutely nothing, so I didn't even realize you might think it was something." I paused a moment to make sure my sincerity was clear. "I'm sorry if I scared you. I'm not interested in him that way, or anyone else. Only you."

Avery didn't answer at first. When he did, it was quiet. "Why do you let him flirt with you?"

"I barely notice it, babe. He's just friendly, and lonely, and it seems innocuous. I don't much care what people do around me anymore, since I'm with you." I ran my hand up to caress his curls. "I actually think he likes you as much as he does me, but you won't give him the time of day, so you haven't realized."

"No he doesn't," Avery said, but the denial was more automatic than serious. It probably hadn't occurred to him that another man besides me could be attracted to him, and I could hear the slight warmth that meant he was thinking about it.

I smiled even though he couldn't see me. "Pay attention next time, and see for yourself." He didn't say anything, so I combed my fingers through his hair again. "I'll talk to him tomorrow and tell him to back off."

Avery's voice softened into that adorably self-conscious register that I never would have expected from the arrogant, bossy boy I met last year. "Just...can you not tell him it was...because of me?"

I brushed my thumb fondly across his jaw. "Alright, babe."

Avery took my arm and tugged until I was in bed with him, still clothed, wrapped around his body from behind. He relaxed into my touch and exhaled contentedly.

"No more surprise dates with other guys, ok?" he said after a minute.

I kissed the back of his neck. "You got it."

The next day, I pulled Vik aside. Diplomatic wasn't my strong suit, but I made an attempt.

"Look, Vik, I have nothing against you personally, and there's no reason we can't continue working together. But I can't allow you to disrespect my partner by behaving as if there's any possibility of something more than friendship between you and me."

Vik's gaze lowered and he shifted his stance, but when he looked up again, his expression was open. "I apologize if I've offended you or Avery. I admire you both and have no desire to come between you. Actually..." He trailed off, and a curious glow came into his eyes. "I'm sure I don't have to explain to you that companionship can be difficult to come by. I hope it isn't too forward of me to suggest this, and I won't presume to know if you're interested. But I was hoping there was a possibility, not of stealing anything from either of you, but maybe of joining you...both."

That was unexpected. He spoke again before I could compose a response.

"I'm very low maintenance. You could set any terms you wish." There was a brief hesitation, and his next words were laden with meaning. "I prefer it that way."

Vik met my eyes and saw that I understood. A myriad of intriguing possibilities flashed through my mind. I wasn't unexperienced with polyamorous liaisons, and although I knew Avery wasn't either, his hadn't involved any other males. Or power play. Or me. It could be a lot of fun to explore that with him. And with Vik, if the subtle invitation in his gaze was anything to go by.

Given Avery's reactions lately, I highly doubted he would be up to sharing me in any capacity at this point. But it was definitely worth keeping on the table for the future.

"Rest assured," Vik added, "that this won't affect our professional relationship, regardless of what happens. And I don't want Avery to be uncomfortable, so I'll leave it to you whether to even bring it up to him."

I nodded in acknowledgement and my lips curved slightly. "I appreciate the offer. I'll have to decline for now, but I'll let you know if it becomes a possibility."

"Please do," he replied with a smile.

Avery had news for me that night.

"I talked to Vik today," he said as I pulled off my boots and kicked them under the bench.

"Oh?"

"I wanted to see if you were right. About him liking me."

I smiled and grabbed Avery's boots from where he had left them in front of the door, then tossed them next to mine. "Was I?"

"Definitely got the impression he's thought about me naked."

I stepped over, hooked a couple of fingers into his front pants pocket, and shifted into my suggestive tone. "Thought about you being naked? Or thought about you while he was naked, with his cock in his hand, wishing it was your mouth instead?"

Avery stared at me with parted lips, then flushed and turned his chin away. "Could be that."

"Can't blame him, can you?" I lay my other hand at the small of his back and pulled his hips a little closer. "I'd kind of like to see that myself."

"See what?"

"What your mouth could do to him."

Avery's head jerked up. Heat still stained his cheeks. "You'd want to see me suck off someone else?"

"Maybe. Especially if you made him beg to finish." I held his darkening gaze. "And if you had my fingers in your ass while you did it. And maybe you'd be begging to finish too."

His jaw dropped. I could almost see the wave of heat sweep through him.

"Fuck me," he commanded. "Now."

I kissed him deeply, then pushed him onto the bed. "Anything for you, love."