All for a Cup of Coffee

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The darkness closed in as the pain consumed my mind. I felt my body going numb and my breath caught in my chest. If I had enough consciousness left, I'm pretty certain I would've been scared. Was I dying of some kind of brain tumor? No thought left.

I faded.

*******

Much to my unpleasant surprise, I returned to myself sometime later. Not entirely though, and I felt like I had the screamer of all hangovers. I couldn't feel my body. I couldn't move my limbs. I was not getting any physical sense. No sight, no sound, nothing. I simply knew that I existed and my mind was filled with discomforts I had never experienced before. I couldn't explain them. Some kind of phantom things going through my mind that were simply wrong. It wasn't specifically pain, though pain was there. Though it was without anything I could point to as being the source. My head wasn't in pain because I couldn't feel my head.

You know those times where you think back to something extremely embarrassing you did as a kid or as a teenager? The truly awful cringe moments that, no matter the time that passes, they still make you face flush and your muscles tense. You get that feeling of turmoil and panic in your mind and it creates a pain born of touching those thoughts and memories? This was sort of like that, only it was agony instead of embarrassment. Somehow my own consciousness was causing the pain

Existence continued for a completely indeterminate time and I sought the relief of darkness again. I willed my mind to sink back into sleep so I might resurface after this strange, awful reality had passed. That was always a winning option with hangovers, just try and sleep it off. But I couldn't. I was trapped and everything sucked.

As I continued in that timeless, agonizing void, I began to wonder. Was this death? That would've made me shiver and my stomach twist up if I could feel them. It was a freaky realization to think about. Was I trapped in some limbo meant to suffer mildly for all eternity? It really wasn't that horrid, certainly not hellish levels of agony, but I could see how it could wear on me after a while. But being entirely without a body defused a bit of the sting and horror. Also knowing that I died from some kind of aneurysm or something wasn't exactly great. But hey, at least I had one last good night before I went, and I even managed to open up about my love with the others. Ah. But if I was dead, wouldn't that mean...

I tried to call out, but my voice wouldn't work. Of course it wouldn't work because I didn't have lungs like this. Still, if I had died, didn't Saffron tell me she would die as well to join me here? God, I really hope she wasn't right about that. It seemed an unnecessary cruelty that I would die the very day after she bound herself to me. Now that was a thought that dragged out true sorrow and horror in me. I, however indirectly, could've been responsible for the death of a woman so beautiful and interesting as Saffron.

But again, she made it sound like she would join me here and she wans't. At least she wasn't here in any form I could experience or detect. Was she nearby, as senseless and in pain as I was? I tried to reach or move or do anything to see if I could figure it out.

I moved.

Well, not really. I felt my consciousness shift in a direction and the essence that was myself seemed to expand and move and reach out. I also felt the pain shift. That was interesting... Could I alter the pain through my intention alone? For the first time, I focused on the pain and tried to think as hard as I could about pushing against it. The motion quivered through me and I felt the pain shift. Parts of glorious, painless reality opened up in me where the pain left. I kept at it, feeling more and more tendrils of that discomfort squashing smaller in my mind. Through this strange medium of mental effort, I managed to corral all the pain into one little part of myself. It was more painful and annoying than ever, a sharp knife in my being rather than an agonizing weight pressing down on me everywhere. If I could breathe, I would sigh with relief.

With the pain held at a metaphorical arm's reach, I tried to move again. My existence shifted once more and I felt the pain dragging along with me. I could push it to the edge, but it would not disconnect from me. In that case, maybe it was better to keep it shifting around so it wouldn't become too much in any one area of myself. I experimented with letting it expand back outward as well and found the pain less intense and it gave a sense of relief in itself. It was so interesting that I could seemingly control discomfort through will. If I could've done this when I had my body... man. Shift a headache or hangover into a foot and just limp a bit instead of feeling my eyes try and bulge out of my skull. Take a searing agony in one tiny spot from a knife cut and spread the pain over my entire body, diffusing it to almost nothing.

Then, without explanation or warning, my entire world jerked. I could suddenly feel up and down again, and I was being pulled up fast. I found my eyes again and blazing light flooded into them.

I yowled incoherently as I lunged upward. The speed at which my mind felt like it was hurtling forward made it felt like my body was going to get launched into the ceiling. Suddenly my entire body crashed back into my mind again and I felt all of it, even as my head continued its aching.

Above me was the ceiling of Cherry's room and the blazing light dimmed until it was relatively normal. The windows were obviously open and naked sunlight streamed in. A head of dark black hair and warm chocolate eyes looked down at me. Hands grabbed my shoulder and lowered me back to the bed. Someone was speaking. A lot of someones. But it was a cacophony that took my ears a few moments to parse because it all sounded like an amorphous whining.

"Harrold! Harrold, you're okay?" Cherry's exclamation was the first thing I made out.

"Shhh! Everyone! Quiet. Calm down. He's going to be quite delirious and I'm not entirely certain he's actually fully conscious again." I recognized the voice of Cartaline, the master of the Mage's Guild. She was the face closest to me and I tried to focus on it.

"W-What... happened?" I gasped quietly as I felt my head settle back on the pillows.

"You, dear Harrold, have just experienced the opening of mana paths with a conscious, adult mind. I don't envy the pain. It's nothing anyone should ever have to experience." Cartaline said with a shake of her head as she stood upright.

I looked around the room. All of them were gathered in here. Cherry was on her knees at the side of the bed and I realized she was holding my hand. Beside her, Ro'Lin looked just as worried. Ava was towards my feet and Berry towered over the end of the bed. Lizzy was to my side next to Cartaline, and floating behind them was Saffron.

As I looked back to Cartaline, I asked, "Why did that happen? What does it mean? Am I gonna die or something? I had this really weird dream just now, I was floating in darkness and everything hurt. I mean, it still hurts but I couldn't feel my body so I just kind of hurt... up here I guess." I pointed at my head.

She nodded, "Yes, that was my doing. I disconnected your conscious mind from your nerves for the last few hours and that meant when your body woke up, your mind still wouldn't experience anything physical. That way your body could adjust but your mind wouldn't have to experience it. But there are some agonies that transcend the simply physical so it wasn't ever going to be painless. The problem is I don't understand how this happened. It doesn't make sense. This usually happens in the first few weeks after birth. You'd have to have gone without any magic touching your body your entire life. Quite nonsense." Cartaline waved a hand with a shake of her head.

I groaned and rubbed at my head. It felt much more like a normal headache now but it was still something quite painful. I covered my eyes to block out the light and said, "How much magic does it take? Can touching a rune cause it?"

Cartaline was quiet while I laid there waiting. After a moment she said, "No, I would think not. It would take a spell that actually has enough mana to leave traces in your body. It takes a spell that penetrates the body and touches deeper than just the skin. Usually healing magic following birth causes it, but it sometimes takes as long as an infant's first sickness. The tales of adults undergoing a magical awakening are horrific and full of unbelievable pain. The stories almost always end with the victim going insane. In a natural case, the process is caused when a spell touches your dry mana paths inside your body." Cartaline raised a hand and sparkling magic danced around her fingers and spread through the air around it. "A mage's body instinctively absorbs mana the same way dry soil absorbs moisture, and that power courses through your body in a network of ethereal pathways like veins. The first touch of magic causes your paths to light up and begin sucking in all the power needed for that first invigoration. In an infant or toddler, this is a miniscule amount and their more malleable mind is able to accommodate the changes better. As an adult, you are less mentally flexible and your body is capable of holding far more power. Understand?"

"Y-Yeah... I do. It's not that strange when you think about it. I've not had much interaction with magic since I got here besides runes. Lizzy lifted me into the air one time." I pointed at the harpy and she squeaked. Her face blushed and she stammered but I cut her off, "But I think what did it was when Saffron bonded herself to me."

"Y-You bonded with a fae?!" Cartaline squeaked in shock, turning to stare at Saffron.

Saffron nodded her head and spoke softly, "I experienced Harrold directly for the first time when he touched my hand. It was such blissful ecstasy that I can have no other. I do not wish a life without him in it. I offered my soul to him and he accepted. I am regretful it has caused him this kind of pain."

Cartaline nodded and rubbed at her floppy ears. "I agree that likely caused it, but don't feel bad. He could've cut open his thumb and got it healed, and this would've happened." She looked back at me, "A soul bonding with a fairy would be more than enough. I imagine this happened recently? Maybe a day ago, two at most?"

I nodded, "Yesterday morning, I think? What time is it?"

Cherry squeezed my hand, "You've been out all morning Harrold. It's already past lunch. Berry and Ava handled your part."

"Really?" I stared up at Berry.

The big bear blushed and nodded, "We... we just did... the simple items, but I did them how you've been teaching me. People seemed happy with it. Saffron helped lots, explaining to everyone that you were feeling down and reassuring everyone that we had the Guild Master here looking over you."

"As if I could be anywhere else when the beauty of our town is sick." Cartaline beamed at me.

"Thank you." I said, returning her smile. I looked at Ava and Berry, "I'm very proud of you girls. I couldn't ask for a better Sous Chef and Patissier."

"Harrold, focus please." Cartaline said.

"Right. What else do I need to know?" I asked, returning my attention to her.

Cartaline frowned and said, "It's what I need to know. You said you've only been here a short time. But you don't mean in Scarborough, do you?"

"No, I'm not from this world. I've not exactly kept that a secret." I scoffed with a shrug.

"Fascinating. I had always thought you were just playing up the mystique a bit or something. To think you're actually a man from another world. It really does explain this. So do you know what happens next?" Cartaline said, her face breaking into a bright smile.

"Bed rest and light work or something?" I guessed.

She waved a hand, "Hell no. Soon as you're feeling good enough to stand up, you can get back to whatever you want. You been through the worst already. No, Harrold, you get to become a mage. Not everyone has mana paths, that's what makes us mages. The strength of those paths is what determines your ability as a mage. I can sense that the big one there is a lightweight, and the harpy is an experienced talent. You? It's hard to tell until your body stabilizes but I'd bet you're somewhere between. You won't be the strongest mage by any means, but you'll be able to learn a wide array of useful magic. If you ever want education, the guild offers basic courses in mana control and basic spellcraft."

That actually made me stop for a minute. Me? A mage? The existence of magic in this world had always been a bit of a fantasy thing to me, like it was just on the cusp of actually existing. Obviously I knew my kitchen was magic and so was our bathtub. But they were so similar to just basic technology that it hadn't really seemed real. Lizzy was the first REAL hit of magic in my reality and she has been so wrapped up in my phone until this point that I'd never thought to ask her to do some crazy big magic. The phone battery rock felt just like someone wiring up an external battery. But magic at my fingers...

I held my hand up and looked at it. How would do it anyway? Would I just focus on the magic and poof it would happen? I stared at my palm and thought hard about magic. Make a little fire, or a glowing spark. Something. But nothing happened. I didn't really feel any different.

"Harrold, I know that look. You do want to learn because you're curious. Drop by the guild anytime and I'll personally help you out." Cartaline said with a knowing smile. She looked around and addressed the others, "Girls, take good care of Harrold. And Saffron-" She turned to the fairy, "Please be careful with your bond until Harrold has learned to control his mana."

Saffron's eyes swirled pink and her cheeks colored slightly. She looked at me and said, "Really? My bond may cause him trouble? I don't understand, the bond is already made and I am promised to him. What could it cause now?"

Cartaline tilted her head and gave a soft laugh, "Do you actually think your folk bond themselves merely as a show of love and servitude? You really are a young one, aren't you?"

"W-What? What do you mean? What don't I know?" Saffron stammered, growing rather flustered considering her normal peaceful demeanor.

"Why do they let ones like you leave the Fae Woods?" Cartaline chortled and walked past her. She ruffled Lizzy's feathers and said, "Keep an eye on him and make sure he doesn't short himself. You too, Berry. I taught you as a favor to your mother, do her and I proud. Saffron, if you wish knowledge about yourself, you are free to come ask. You all know where I am."

She vanished out the door in a swish of blue robes and the room was left in silence. Everyone watched her go and then turned their attention back to me. I pushed myself up slowly and scooted back to sit against the wall. My head throbbed and I rubbed at it. All my girls seemed eager for me to say anything so I took a breath. "Alright, alright. I'm clearly not dying. Come on then."

As soon as I gestured, they piled on the bed. Cherry and Ava were the first to launch themselves at me and hug me. Ro'Lin slithered over them and hugged all three of us. Berry came around the other side of the bed and leaned in close, pressing her huge boobs to my face. I could barely see around their pressing bodies, but I felt Lizzy's feathers rub over my shoulder as she shimmied beside Berry to put her wing over my shoulder.

I peered over Berry's shoulder and saw Saffron standing nervously a few steps away from the bed. Her pupils were a sickly green and her mouth was turned down. From her body language, she seemed to be rolling with guilt.

"Hey. Saffron, I don't blame you. Cartaline already said that it could've been any spell." I said and nudged my shoulders, "Girls, come on."

The others shuffled off me and stood up. I slowly pushed myself up off the bed and hobbled forward, trying to ignore the spinning pain in my head. There was a soreness in my limbs and chest as well that made me think of an intense full body workout.

I stood barely an inch from Saffron and looked down at her. She stared up and warm reds started to swirl into her eyes. Without warning, I slid my arms around her and pulled her against me in a tight hug. Naked skin pressed against naked skin. Her plump breasts squished against my chest and my hands held to her back. She stiffened and shuddered in my arms but I kept her close.

"Saffron, your bond is a precious gift. I understand the sacrifice it is and I hope to do right by you." I whispered to her and slowly loosened my embrace. She gasped and stumbled back from me, her body shaking almost violently. Her eyes shimmered in a wild chromatic swirl. Wetness shone down her inner thighs and it seemed to be taking every ounce of her strength to stay on her feet.

She took a deep breath and her wings fluttered abruptly. She straightened up, body still shaking softly, and said, "Thank you, Harrold. I am so happy I gave myself to you. G-Gods... being hugged by you..." She shuddered and wrapped her arms around herself, seemingly shaking with pleasurable aftershocks. I smiled at her and her eyes glittered with swirls of silver and gold.

"Alright. Now that all this fun is over, let's get to work, girls. We have a dinner to serve!" I exclaimed happily, clapping my hands together.

"Really?" Berry said in surprise.

"Just like this, Harrold? You barely get out of bed and you want to go cook dinner?" Cherry said with an exhausted tone.

"Yeah! Look, my head hurts but laying in bed won't help. I'll do something really simple. I've had a whole... uhh... existential thing happen. I want something normal!" I said and marched, buck naked, towards the door. I could hear them mumbling behind me but I paid them no mind.

For a time there I thought I was dead. Now I'm back. I've veen told I'm going to learn magic. I can feel the churning panic of too much happening at once. I need normal. I need to cook something!

*******

The pot bubbled away slowly. My head throbbed but it wasn't nearly as bad. The distraction of putting together a nice hearty dinner was almost enough to keep it at bay. I leaned back against the island and rubbed my forehead.

In the pot was a creamy beige soup speckled with rich spices. Floating in it was delicious pieces of grilled chicken and finely diced carrots. Mixed with a curious root I found to be slightly sweet and very savory, I had made a lovely and thick chicken soup. To my left, Ava worked the ovens with a happy humming. She had dozens of dense, flavorful biscuits cooking for this to be poured over.

Chicken and dumplings. Simple and delicious. Folks might get annoyed that I'm not going to be honoring our menu tonight, but at the same time I don't think they would argue much. I was going to help serve them and I was still naked. I'd never had much modesty back home, but I'd never tried to strut in front of an entire room full of whistling, horny women. Tonight seemed like a good night to change that.

As the chicken stew kept cooking, I looked down at my fingers and pondered what had happened. Magic. Real, actual magic. I'd thought about it a lot already and I had tried many ways to cast a spell. Just to try and summon a little flame into my hand. Lizzy made it look as effortless as breathing, and even Berry seemed to be able to cast simple spells easily after all the practice working the kitchen runes.

I closed my eyes and tried to think. Ever since I'd woken up, there had been this tingling in the back of my mind and all through my body. It matched the same places that throbbed and ached. I tried to do something with that, whether it was willing my mana to move around or to cast out in a spell. Nothing happened. Using my mind, I had discovered I could directly touch that tingling power in my head. At least, that's the best way I can describe it. I sort of thought real hard about the power and where it felt like it exists in my head, and my consciousness would touch it. It's the weirdest feeling to actually be aware of the intangible thing that seemed to be my mental self. I could feel how I inhabited my body and how my body moved unconsciously around it with just the most base instinct or will. When brushed against that power, it felt like getting my hand near high voltage power cables. It was intangible but it was also undeniable.

1...2627282930...33